Isn't it crazy how they paint MLK's day as a "Black" holiday?

The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have you ever noticed this? It's especially obvious in the places where people aren't given the day off. They treat it like it's not a real holiday. It's just an attempt to throw blacks a bone or something

This is pretty ridiculous. MLK should be seen as an American hero. America was built on basic principles that it simply did not live up to. MLK and the other people who fought for civil right forced this country to progress. Because of their efforts, America now better reflects the ideals that the country was supposedly built on (at least on the outside anyway). You have all these white people who are supposedly super patriotic. How can you love America, but not appreciate the efforts of a man who worked to make this country reflect the greatness that it was supposed to have? They are always boosting up the Founding Fathers and their creation of an America that was supposed to hold all these lofty ideals. How can you not also show that respect to a man who worked to make those ideals true.

That said, I can still understand how whites might not care about the day too much. The civil rights movement basically brought minorities up to be considered equal to them, in principle at least. So, maybe that's not something that appeals to them. Racists especially probably aren't happy about the increased rights for minorities. I don't have a clue how other minorities can act like MLK's day is just a holiday for black people though. Everything that the civil rights movement won applies to every minority not just blacks. Sure blacks might have been the face of the civil rights movement, but the fact is that asians, hispanics, natives, and every other miniority group gained rights and opportunities as a result too. Sure, I could see people saying Malcolm X was a hero for blacks since that's who he concentrated on, but MLK constantly included all people in his thoughts and ideals. It's insulting that this country and a lot of the nonblack people in it would relegate the celebration of his day as just something to appease black people.

Comments

• perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    America is known for ignoring its multiple atrocities it commited in the past. Hell, Native Americans deserve more holidays if you ask me.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    thats why i dont celebrate christmas,thanksgiving,or the 4th of july
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    America is known for ignoring its multiple atrocities it commited in the past. Hell, Native Americans deserve more holidays if you ask me.

• perspective@100
    edited January 2010
    The Jackal wrote: »

you disagree?
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Shows how racism will never be abolished....its ? up how Malcolm X doesn't have his own day or doesn't receive the acknowledgment MLK does today.
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Shows how racism will never be abolished....its ? up how Malcolm X doesn't have his own day or doesn't receive the acknowledgment MLK does today.

Yeah, it's ? up how a guy who encouraged separatism doesn't get a federally recognized holiday.

? .
  • one_manshow
    edited January 2010
    BOSS KTULU wrote: »
    Yeah, it's ? up how a guy who encouraged separatism doesn't get a federally recognized holiday.

? .

Its ? up how a white guy thinks his opinion holds weight or value.
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited January 2010

It's ? stupid that you'd expect the US government to give a holiday to a guy who said "Let's not be Americans" to a large group of American citizens.
  • perspective@100
    edited January 2010

? .

But we can have slave masters, ? , and things of that nature on our currency? Everytime I see a twenty dollar bill I think of the Cherokee Nation...
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited January 2010
    But we can have slave masters, ? , and things of that nature on our currency? Everytime I see a twenty dollar bill I think of the Cherokee Nation...
    American presidents and other influential early policy makers on the currency? Is that supposed to be a surprise?
  • one_manshow
    edited January 2010
    It's ? stupid that you'd expect the US government to give a holiday to a guy who said "Let's not be Americans" to a large group of American citizens.

? the US govenrment they are the reason why the world is corrupt. So stop making yourself look like a fool by quoting me.
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited January 2010
    ? the US govenrment
    Did you get a public education? Were you ever on food stamps? Do you have any government college grants for minorities?
  • perspective@100
    edited January 2010
    Did you get a public education? Were you ever on food stamps? Do you have any government college grants for minorities?

Reparations> public education, food stamps, government college grants for minorities
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    okay... who are these rapists?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010

Isn't it? It's funny how crackers have done more to ? up this world more than any other race, yet wonder why Malcolm X is and always will be a hero in the black community. And for the record, theres nothing with MLK day being known as a black holiday. There should be more of them in my humble opinion.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    janklow wrote: »
    okay... who are these rapists?

Hmm....good question. I'd be surprised if James Polk or George Washington didnt ? themselves some slaves though. After what they did to Native Americans, anything is possible.
  • janklow
    edited January 2010
    Hmm....good question. I'd be surprised if James Polk or George Washington didnt ? themselves some slaves though. After what they did to Native Americans, anything is possible.
    actually, i would be surprised if George Washington ? some slaves. i'm not sure i'd necessarily suspect Polk of it, either. in either case (slave ? or native murder) these seem like weirder selections. for example, wouldn't Andrew Jackson be a better president to take to task for going after Native Americans?
  • The Jackal
    edited January 2010
    you disagree?

No I highly agree. Not only have we stolen their and Mexicans land but then we act as though Mexicans are immigrants
  • janklow
    edited January 2010
    The Jackal wrote: »
    No I highly agree. Not only have we stolen their and Mexicans land but then we act as though Mexicans are immigrants
    Mexicans != Native Americans
  • perspective@100
    edited January 2010
    actually, i would be surprised if George Washington ? some slaves. i'm not sure i'd necessarily suspect Polk of it, either. in either case (slave ? or native murder) these seem like weirder selections. for example, wouldn't Andrew Jackson be a better president to take to task for going after Native Americans?

Andrew was a hateful man when it came to native americans doubt he ? them but he was having them slaughtered like their was no tomorrow.
    As for George Washington, he had over 300 slaves at the time of his death. We all know slavery was no picnic,< funny word... Its very likely he was gettin some slave poom poom, when and where ever he wanted. Thomas jefferson had him some ? babies... Why couldn't George have done the same? Oh, because history books dont say so. Who am I to say, I dont know him but I dont put a blanket around the harsh environment that surrounded slavery either.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Have you ever noticed this? It's especially obvious in the places where people aren't given the day off. They treat it like it's not a real holiday. It's just an attempt to throw blacks a bone or something

This is pretty ridiculous. MLK should be seen as an American hero. America was built on basic principles that it simply did not live up to. MLK and the other people who fought for civil right forced this country to progress. Because of their efforts, America now better reflects the ideals that the country was supposedly built on (at least on the outside anyway). You have all these white people who are supposedly super patriotic. How can you love America, but not appreciate the efforts of a man who worked to make this country reflect the greatness that it was supposed to have? They are always boosting up the Founding Fathers and their creation of an America that was supposed to hold all these lofty ideals. How can you not also show that respect to a man who worked to make those ideals true.

That said, I can still understand how whites might not care about the day too much. The civil rights movement basically brought minorities up to be considered equal to them, in principle at least. So, maybe that's not something that appeals to them. Racists especially probably aren't happy about the increased rights for minorities. I don't have a clue how other minorities can act like MLK's day is just a holiday for black people though. Everything that the civil rights movement won applies to every minority not just blacks. Sure blacks might have been the face of the civil rights movement, but the fact is that asians, hispanics, natives, and every other miniority group gained rights and opportunities as a result too. Sure, I could see people saying Malcolm X was a hero for blacks since that's who he concentrated on, but MLK constantly included all people in his thoughts and ideals. It's insulting that this country and a lot of the nonblack people in it would relegate the celebration of his day as just something to appease black people.

That's the thing. They're not patriotic because of the idea of America, they're patriotic due to conditioning and mind control. I garruntee deep down inside, though they would NEVER admit this, they would have absolutely NO problem with bringing slavery back in effect. They still got white privilege though and that's why they're still happy.
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    where i live its robert e. lee/mlk day
  • The Jackal
    edited January 2010
    Mexicans != Native Americans

Some would disagree with the exact wording of Native Americans being Mexicans. Which is why I worded it that way
  • perspective@100
    edited January 2010
    emaculate wrote: »
    where i live its robert e. lee/mlk day

I find this intriguing... where do you live?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    doubletee wrote: »
    thats why i dont celebrate christmas,thanksgiving,or the 4th of july

Well you're a whole lot of fun.

Re-demonizing MLK is next for the Racist Conservative Movement. They all still pretend to like him, but they'll eventually go back to calling him a ? .