Draft in the 21st Century

2»

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    janklow wrote: »
    first, let's agree that hindsight being 20/20, it's fair to say the war was not necessary for the safety and protection of the US.

second, the point about the Cold War is that people promoted/backed the Vietnam War on the grounds that it was necessary to support an ally (admittedly a weak and poorly-run one) in the face of Communism (admittedly being secondary to nationalism in the eyes of the NVA) thinking that failing to stand against it WOULD lead to an existential threat to the US. again, do we know now that this was not accurate? sure... but this is unfortunately not something that could be verified at the time.

again, i think you are missing my earlier point(s):

01. "the comparison regards the "the height of extreme evil" statement"
    02. "if you're claiming the US did the evil in Vietnam, then you should not be comparing the US in Vietnam to the US in WWII; you should be comparing whatever evils you're identifying in each war... and THAT is where it's immediately apparent that WWII goes far beyond what happened in Vietnam"

if you're making it a comparison of evils, then you need to compare THOSE. if it's a debate about which war was more righteous for the US to fight, i don't think anyone's saying it was Vietnam.

i tend to go with "misguided." in some respects this may be worse.

Well we can agree on these points than......I stand by my statement that Vietnam was fought for evil reasons though.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Well we can agree on these points than......I stand by my statement that Vietnam was fought for evil reasons though.
    at some point, we're also talking about people's personal motivation that you or i can't really prove: if you want to call the reasons evil, i may disagree for reason X or Y, but hey, it's your position. i just dispute the "height of extreme evil" ranking.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited December 2011
    I think it is highly likely.
  • SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    I have two passports *post*
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    I'm ? in this thread cuz I have none = (

I lost the one I had smh
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    All the conservatives brag about is "freedom isn't free" but they themselves would not fight in a war or for a country they love so dearly.