Have you ever had a friendly conversation with an older black or white person and...

The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
wondered how they felt about people of your race in their younger days and how they truly feel now?

I find myself wondering that a lot. I actually work around a lot of older white people. A lot of them are retired military and government workers that just can't give it up. Anyway, most of them are real friendly and inclusive. I've never really had any hit of prejudice from any of them. I can't help but wonder where they stood when the civil rights movement was going down. I'm pretty sure not all of them were for integration and equal rights for minorities. It kinda makes you wonder whether or not they've revised their thinking or just gotten really good at hiding their distaste over the years.

Comments

• TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    If they still refer to you as colored then chances are they would have called you a ? in the 50's and 60's
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    this needs to be in G&S to be properly discussed...but i live in a buuilding with a bunch of old white folk. I see no signs forreal...

But u gotta figure after 50, 60, 70 years they've probably perfected the craft of hidden racism.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    I honestly try to look at all people as individuals and don't assume ? just because one is White or Black. I've never experienced blatant racism from White folk, but I wouldn't be shocked if some Whites I've worked with talk ? behind my back lol
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    yeah sometimes when im in the store with my daughter and old white people wanna stop and tell her how cute she is....its stupid but i cant help to think "yeah she would go just right in a maid's uniform huh" lol...

ay i got a darkskin homegirl i was wit one day i forget where....but this white lady stopped and was like "you're so pretty i love your skin, its so dark and smooth".....she played it off but she was kinda ? ...i thought that ? was funny as hell b/c of how she said it with such seriousness lol
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    I honestly try to look at all people as individuals and don't assume ? just because one is White or Black.
    this is the best approach, since, like all people, older black/white workers are going to run the gamut of racial positions
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    What is that, the Baby Boomer generation? Most that i interact with from time to time through work seem to be cool as hell even though they old.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    HAF BAYKED wrote: »
    yeah sometimes when im in the store with my daughter and old white people wanna stop and tell her how cute she is....its stupid but i cant help to think "yeah she would go just right in a maid's uniform huh" lol...

ay i got a darkskin homegirl i was wit one day i forget where....but this white lady stopped and was like "you're so pretty i love your skin, its so dark and smooth".....she played it off but she was kinda ? ...i thought that ? was funny as hell b/c of how she said it with such seriousness lol

Why was she ? though? She doesn't think that was a compliment? Would she have been mad if a non-white person said that to her?