The Official Royal Rumble 2010 Thread

KillaCham
KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
edited February 2010 in Off The Turn Buckle
Anyone think Edge will pull a John Cena and come in at #30?? Doubt it.

30-Man Royal Rumble Match

List of Royal Rumble Participants so far:
1. John Cena
Batista
Triple H
Shawn Michaels
5. Chris Jericho
CM Punk
Shelton Benjamin
Ted DiBiase
Cody Rhodes
10. The Great Khali
Yoshi Tatsu
MVP
The Miz
William Rega
15. Kofi Kingston
Kane
Mark Henry
Zack Ryder
Jack Swagge
20. Big Show
The Hurricane
Evan Bourne
Carlito
24. Santino Marella

Twenty-six years ago, the dream of modern-day WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon was made manifest with the birth of the squared circle’s most celebrated spectacle, WrestleMania. More than a quarter of a century later, 30 Superstars will have the ultimate opportunity to realize their dream of performing in the World Championship main event match on this now aggrandized stage for the most brilliant competitors.

They can dance on The Grandest Stage of Them All at WrestleMania XXVI. But first, one man will need to surpass the efforts of 29 opposing competitors with the same aspiration in the 2010 Royal Rumble Match.

A test of endurance, athleticism and survival at all costs, the Rumble Match is the definitive Battle Royal, where each Superstar’s prime objective is to propel their opponents over the top rope, with both feet touching the floor. Every 90 seconds, one of 30 elite ring warriors with randomly drawn Rumble entry numbers joins the fray. Though luck of the draw can be a critical factor in such a high-stakes situation (ideally, entering at No. 30 like 2007 winner Undertaker and 2008 victor John Cena), past Rumble winners have included Superstars who kicked off the Battle Royal at No. 1 (as seen in 1995 with Shawn Michaels).

But, with bodies being tossed out every moment and fresh competitors coming in at such a rapid pace, it’s really anyone’s match.

In the end, the last Superstar standing can officially punch a gold-embossed ticket to Phoenix's University of Phoenix Stadium, where they will contend for a World Title of their choosing at WrestleMania.

However, as the saying goes, “You have to be in it to win it.” Tune into WWE programming and stay logged on to WWE.com as entrants are named for the 23rd annual Royal Rumble Match. Then be sure to witness this historic event live on pay-per-view on Sunday, Jan. 31, as the 2010 Royal Rumble brings WWE into the new decade.

World Heavyweight Champion Undertaker vs. Rey Mysterio - World Heavyweight Championship Match

sd22y9.jpg

At the Royal Rumble, following weeks of controversy, World Heavyweight Champion Undertaker will put the title on the line against Rey Mysterio. Will the ultimate forces of darkness cast their shadows over Mysterio’s unwavering heart?

On SmackDown Christmas Night, The Master of the 619 bravely challenged The Phenom for the World Title. But, no clear winner could be declared after Batista suddenly charged into their epic battle, igniting an all-out three-way brawl. Though Mysterio was the only Superstar standing when the post-match smoke cleared, the WWE Universe remained thirsty for a definitive outcome.

Mysterio refused to be denied, roaring back to presumably win the Beat the Clock Challenge the following week and, with it, an opportunity to face The Undertaker once more at the Royal Rumble. But, controversy over his interference in The Animal’s Challenge Match demanded that a showdown take place between the two former friends before the pay-per-view main event could be decided. Their fierce match only brought further uncertainty to the situation, after both war-torn Superstars were mysteriously attacked in darkness, a sure sign that The Undertaker had decided to make his ominous presence known.

In order to finally secure a definitive challenger for The Undertaker’s crown, a Steel Cage Match was announced on SmackDown between Mysterio and Batista. And in a fire of fast-paced fury, Mysterio overcame The Animal to take his place as the true No. 1 contender.

Sometimes, even a Superstar with the greatest drive has to be careful what they wish for or they may end up resting in peace. Since recapturing the World Title, the iconic Undertaker has been operating on his own plain of existence. His silent wrath has grown beyond his legend and his ability inside the squared circle seems to have surpassed that of ordinary men. The mere idea of him strikes fear in the hearts of any Superstar that dare take him on and many doubt if anyone in WWE will ever overcome his dominance.

Despite his size however, Mysterio has shown time and time again that he refuses to be denied. A former World Champion himself, the masked Superstar has taken on and defeated some of the greatest combatants that have ever laced up the boots, utilizing an explosive combination of experience, athletic ability and unrivaled passion. The high-octane luchador has proven that, on any given night, he can overcome the odds to climb the mountain to glory.

How will The Deadman successfully defend his World Championship against the Superstar whose competitive spirit refuses to die? Find out at the Royal Rumble, Sunday, Jan. 31 at 8pm/5pm PT, exclusively on pay-per-view.

WWE Champion Sheamus vs. Randy Orton - WWE Championship Match

105cmcw.jpg

Like a rough Irish whiskey, WWE Champion Sheamus has proven that, when trifled with, he's more than capable of leaving even the toughest man flat on his back. At the Royal Rumble, however, The Celtic Warrior must face a particularly sobering prospect: Defending his title against five-time WWE Champion Randy Orton.

While The Viper's inclusion in the WWE Title Match may seem unexpected, it should come as no surprise to those familiar with his methods. Orton recognized an opportunity during a Triple Threat Match on Raw to determine the No. 1 contender and, as usual, he quickly seized it. As he battled with his opponents, John Cena and Kofi Kingston, his henchmen from The Legacy, Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase, caused enough of a distraction to allow the scheming Superstar the victory.

While Orton has never seemed interested in clothing his naked ambition, he should be careful what he's gotten himself into. Sheamus' rabid aggression and overwhelming strength promise to be a powerful antidote to the cold calculation and athletic agility of The Viper.

Will The Celtic Warrior be able to prevent Orton - with a possible assist by Legacy - from regaining the precious WWE Championship? Or will the pipes, the pipes be calling for the insistent Irishman?

To find out, be sure to catch all the action live on Sunday, Jan. 31 at 8 PM/5 PM PT, exclusively on pay-per-view.

ECW Champion Christian vs. Ezekiel Jackson - ECW Championship Match

2zq9b20.jpg

Following the ECW Homecoming tournament, an Eight-Man Over-the-Top Rope Challenge decided who will square off against Christian for the ECW Championship at the Royal Rumble. The contest featured some of the top ECW Superstars both past and present all vying for a title opportunity. After a wild brawl, Ezekiel Jackson was the only ring warrior remaining, earning himself a match against Christian at the Royal Rumble.

Ezekiel Jackson’s victory was impressive to say the least as Hardy, Kane and CM Punk are all former ECW Champions and Vance Archer and Yoshi Tatsu are two of the Land of the Extreme’s most promising young stars. Previously Big Zeke showed just how dangerous he can be, especially under William Regal’s tutelage, with the strategic and powerful dismantling of former associate Vladimir Kozlov in an ECW Homecoming qualifying match. With his sights now set on the ECW Championship, there may be no stopping the 6-foot-4, 309-pound Guyanese Goliath, and with The British Brawler acting as his advisor, there’s no telling what unscrupulous tactics the two might employ.

Christian reclaimed the ECW Title at Night of Champions and has since defeated all challengers including Shelton Benjamin and Master Regal. Following a heated rivalry between Captain Charisma and Regal last year, what role will The British Brawler play at the Royal Rumble? The ECW Champion will no doubt need all the support he can gather from his Peeps as he prepares to once again defend his coveted title.

Ezekiel Jackson is on a roll and has built up a great deal of momentum heading into this match-up. Can Christian overcome what is perhaps his biggest and baddest threat to date to retain the ECW Title? Tune in to the Royal Rumble Sunday, Jan. 31 at 8 PM/5 PM PT, exclusively on pay-per-view.

Women's Champion Michelle McCool vs. Mickie James - Womans' Championship Match

5ecun5.jpg

After coming to SmackDown in late 2009 by way of the tri-brand Divas trade, Women's Champion Michelle McCool has made Mickie James' life miserable.

Week after week, Michelle – often in cahoots with Layla – perpetrated one mean and awful act after another.

At Royal Rumble, can Mickie finally dethrone Michelle, or will the former school teacher give Mickie another lesson in meanness?

To find out, be sure to catch all the action live on Sunday, Jan. 31, at 8 PM/5 PM PT, exclusively on pay-per-view.

Comments

• Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
  • Triple B's
    Triple B's Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    ? edgeeeeeee

? u haha edge is one of the best heels in history. but naw i jus read that he may be back in the Rumble, jus to eliminate Jericho
  • TdotGoHARD87
    TdotGoHARD87 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    ? edgeeeeeee

? you need to chill. edge is the man hands down.

anyways i liked how they tease hbk winning the rumble, but that would be a lame way to make him face taker at wm26. i could see edge comin back and winning, if they could some how get the belt on jericho b4 feb. and you have a bigtime match for wm26
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited January 2010
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Im playing my bets on Kofi Kingston & my ? Shawn Michaels... I think one of em gonna win it. Maaannn if they dont tho, then i hope some1 new wins it.

i like kofi winning it. one thing for sure is that a babyface is winning it this year
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    shawn michaels everyone wants to see him fight the undertaker again
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited January 2010
    shawn michaels everyone wants to see him fight the undertaker again

i can understand that, but if wwe is tryin to make new stars, hbk winning the rumble is not the way to go about it
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    i can understand that, but if wwe is tryin to make new stars, hbk winning the rumble is not the way to go about it

Oh well the new stars are gonna have to wait because I dont see nobody else giving a performance like hbk will
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited January 2010
    Oh well the new stars are gonna have to wait because I dont see nobody else giving a performance like hbk will

why should they wait? taker and hbk are bout to retire. there is nothin sayin those two cant have that match at wm, but lets be real now, how is somebody like ted, cody, swagger, kofi, ziggler or any of those guys gon get a push without gettin a chance. i can see orton beatin sheamus and ted winnin the rumble, kinda like an evolution type vibe w/ hhh and batista. see now that would be making a new star
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    why should they wait? taker and hbk are bout to retire. there is nothin sayin those two cant have that match at wm, but lets be real now, how is somebody like ted, cody, swagger, kofi, ziggler or any of those guys gon get a push without gettin a chance. i can see orton beatin sheamus and ted winnin the rumble, kinda like an evolution type vibe w/ hhh and batista. see now that would be making a new star

Yeah but everybody doesnt want to see a new star go against the undertaker because we all know the undertaker will win without a doubt.....now on the other hand hbk has a better to beat the undertaker and end his WM streak which will make history plus I think shawn michaels will win the title one more time before he retires
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited January 2010
    Yeah but everybody doesnt want to see a new star go against the undertaker because we all know the undertaker will win without a doubt.....now on the other hand hbk has a better to beat the undertaker and end his WM streak which will make history plus I think shawn michaels will win the title one more time before he retires

i wasnt talkin bout the winner of the rumble fightin taker per say, there are 2 top belts. like i said, there is nothin sayin those two cant or shouldnt have a match at wm, but does it really have to be for the belt? why? why cant a new guy get a chance. look at sheamus, there are better younger talent that deserves a chance and rr could be the opportunity. like i said, either ted jr, or kofi are takin it.
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    i wasnt talkin bout the winner of the rumble fightin taker per say, there are 2 top belts. like i said, there is nothin sayin those two cant or shouldnt have a match at wm, but does it really have to be for the belt? why? why cant a new guy get a chance. look at sheamus, there are better younger talent that deserves a chance and rr could be the opportunity. like i said, either ted jr, or kofi are takin it.

yeah I feel you but what kind of build up would it lead to? The one that happened last year between shawn michaels and undertaker was good....to me sheamus isnt that good john cena was due to losing the title anyway but most likely I think randy orton will beat sheamus and it will probably be randy orton vs kofi at wrestlemania
  • KillaCham
    edited January 2010
    Matches up on the first page.
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    well it might be between hhh and hbk in the royal rumble hhh wants that title bad
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited January 2010
    well it might be between hhh and hbk in the royal rumble hhh wants that title bad

nothin but good build up. the thing bout that is its so obvious that wwe would flip the script on ? early
  • TWezzy13
    TWezzy13 Members Posts: 35
    edited January 2010
    i'm callin cena wins it.. then turns on the wwe universe for turning on him.. then challenging taker at wrestlemania for the streak.. imagine the heat he would get if he won.. that would be HUGE!
  • Skolar
    Skolar Members Posts: 71
    edited January 2010
    I don't think the WWE would have the ? to turn Cena heel because all the kiddy fans would cry, thus causing a decline in kiddies attending the show.
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited January 2010
    Skolar wrote: »
    I don't think the WWE would have the ? to turn Cena heel because all the kiddy fans would cry, thus causing a decline in kiddies attending the show.

cena is vince's new ear hulk hogan. he aint turnin him heel anytime soon. thats his cash cow
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited January 2010
    sionb55 wrote: »
    hmmm the odds do look good for kofi haha... yo if i had to predict the event as a whole tho... i think Taker is gonna retain the title (batista will prolly interfere n mess up Rey's chances that could build up to some crazy special event at WM), Sheamus is gonna retain, Christian gonna lose the title n prolly start appearing on the main shows as a main eventer (i see him getting a big push this year) , Michelle McCool is either gonna retain b/c of layla or lose it b/c of layla n start a feud lol. as for the rumble im still sticking w/ my picks of HBK n Kofi Kingston, cena gonna get knocked out at the last minute, making him look like a 'loser' b/c he said hed never lose another match which will result in him doin promos strengthening his never give up gimmick n gettin fans behind him. cena will most likely beat sheamus at WM. if taker is gonna retire then ya i think hed let HBK do the honor but if its gonna be takers last match at wrestlemania id think that hed want to keep his reign n go 19-0 lol so i can see him winning again lol. i think we may get even more from bret n vince n since their gonna be adding his father to the hall of fame (plus he kicked bret smh) i think they may even have 1 last match or theyll prolly do wat trump n vince did n let ppl duke it out for em but change it up w/ a tag team maybe the hart dynasty n whoever the tag champs are or something crazier than that haha. overall i think they gonna do something over the top at wrestlemania 26 something huge... yo the last 2 wrestlemanias were actually good but right now vince has soooo much going for him that its possible he could make it one of the best wrestlemanias yet.

hitman comes back on monday! i swear i hope he ? up vince at wm.
  • The Douce
    The Douce Members Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Yo cham we got any stream links?
  • KillaCham
    edited January 2010
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited January 2010
    that ? actually gon work @ 8?
  • KillaCham
    edited January 2010
    The first one already works. The other ones I didn't check out yet.
  • vageneral08
    edited January 2010
    Word I'ma watch that ?
  • ReppinBKtotheFullest
    ReppinBKtotheFullest Members Posts: 166
    edited January 2010
    HHH is my pick
  • MoneyMack718
    MoneyMack718 Members Posts: 44
    edited January 2010
    good looking out on the stream, i riding with Kofi tonite, aka the black hope