2012 Apocalypse

VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
We're approaching the year of the apocalypse, the end of days. December 21, 2012 is supposedly the Myan prediction of the end times. Nostradamus supposedly reports the same. Many predictions have fallen around 2012. The bible says we will suffer many things, many things Nostradamus seems to shadow in his quatrains about 2012.

For all believers (and non) why do you believe this or not believe it?

Many of you will argue "no one knows the time or day..", which is stated in the bible. While that's true, it doesn't render predictions false. It only leaves you wondering, "could this be the time".

Many prophecies may not have come to pass, but could 2012 be the beginning of the end? The time where we start to see these things come to pass?

Many also see this as a "new era", could this be mankinds downfall? Could it bring the Anti-Christ to light?

If you don't believe in the negative aspect of it all, nor it being devine, do you believe it's a positive? A new era in a scientific sense that would change our lives for the good? A new era in the sense where we figure out our economic stance?

Add on, discuss..

Comments

• Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    12-21-12 = Y2K

and if I'm wrong I'm prepared to live with my choices

the Bible says we will suffer many things... people have been suffering for a millenia... some people suffer more than most

I can't think of anything that could possibly happen to us that hasn't already happened in places all over the world

Unless the devil will bust out the bottomless pit I really don't see what the big deal is

2012 could be the year of mankinds downfall but in my opinion we haven't been doin too well anyway

I don't mean to be pessimistic becuz there are children here on Earth that I care about dearly and they haven't even experienced what life and "freedom" has to offer

so for the sake of all children I hope nothin bad happens
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    We're approaching the year of the apocalypse, the end of days. December 21, 2012 is supposedly the Myan prediction of the end times. Nostradamus supposedly reports the same.
    although his seem to get moved around a lot as is convenient... i recall a time when 1997 was the big "Nostradamus says this is when World War III happens" year, and yet it seems to slide further and further into the future as necessary
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    2012 is the last rumor that comes in the rumor prophecy contained in Jeremiah 51:46:

"And lest your heart faint, and ye fear for the rumour that shall be heard in the land; a rumour shall both come one year, and after that in another year shall come a rumour, and violence in the land, ruler against ruler."

Key events that mark the fall of Babylon are:
    • Violence that will come to the land as the scripture above states. OWS is setting the foundation for the uprising (violence) that will engulf America beginning next year.
    • The war with Iran is the snare also prophesied to come before the fall of Babylon.
    • The major earthquake centered in the New Madrid fault zone

"I have laid a snare for thee, and thou art also taken, O Babylon, and thou wast not aware: thou art found, and also caught, because thou hast striven against the LORD." Jeremiah 50:24

The tell all sign is the snare though. Once the war with Iran starts the total desolation of Babylon, carried out by the 10 kings, will not be far behind.

"Make bright the arrows; gather the shields: the LORD hath raised up the spirit of the kings of the Medes: for his device is against Babylon, to destroy it; because it is the vengeance of the LORD, the vengeance of his temple." Jeremiah 51:11

"Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it." Isaiah 13:17

? is the one who "raises up the spirit of the kings of the Medes (Iran)" and that is the "snare" that ? will lay for Babylon to be taken! The rhetoric between America and Iran has been brewing and simmering for a while now. And guess what? It's all marching toward it's PROPHESIED conclusion!

How many years do we have? Lord only knows. The times and seasons can be known though and guess what? It's the time and it's the season! The fall of Babylon starts the last days according to the scriptures. That's why ? commands His people to flee Babylon before she is destroyed. ? gives clear prophetic signs in His word to alert His people that the time is nigh and thus action has to be taken!

2012 is not the end. But major events will happen. Amen.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    i cannot wait for nothing to happen so i can gloat
  • VIBE
    edited December 2011
    DoU, isn't one of the most tell-tell signs also the building of the 3rd temple in place of Dome of the Rock?
  • VIBE
    edited December 2011
    i cannot wait for nothing to happen so i can gloat

I agree, but w 2012 a few days away and the whole shabang w it being the end, I thought it fitting to make a topic and have whatever thoughts and answers shared.

History Channels having a ball w it.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    DoU, isn't one of the most tell-tell signs also the building of the 3rd temple in place of Dome of the Rock?

Yes, the rebuilt temple is a "tell-tell" sign that comes after the fall of Babylon. The major signs for the end-times are contained in Revelation 14. That chapter contains a rough outline of end-time events.

• The sealing of the 144,000 (Rev. 14:1-5)
    • The preaching of the gospel to the whole world (Rev. 14: 6-7)
    • The fall of Babylon (Rev. 14:8)
    • The mark of the Beast (Rev. 14:9-13)
    • The harvest i.e. the 2nd coming (Rev. 14:14-20)
    The outline of Revelation 14 tells us that the fall of Babylon precedes the mark of the beast. And further study of all of prophecy tells us that the the fall of Babylon is one of the first things to happen in the tribulation period.

• The sealing of the 144,000 happens before any judgments come to the earth. (Rev. 7:1-3)
    • The end doesn't come until the gospel is preached to the whole world (Matthew 24:14)
    • BABYLON FALLS!

? has made it clear that Babylon falls at the beginning of the tribulation period throughout His word. As a matter of fact the beast (antichrist, man of sin, lawless one, son of perdition, the Assyrian, etc.) is not even revealed until after the fall of Babylon. The 10 kings will be on the scene before the beast is revealed. The 10 kings will be the ones who will destroy Babylon and then give their kingdoms, power, and strength to the beast after the task is accomplished!

"16And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the ? , and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire. 17For ? hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of ? shall be fulfilled." Revelation 17:16-17

Once Babylon falls the world will be looking for answers because there will be no super power on earth. America will be made into a ruinous heap. Therefore the worlds police force will be erased from the pages of history. And thus, the beast will emerge and destroy many with promises of peace. That's when the peace deal with Israel will come into play and the rebuilding of the temple. And that's why the mark of the beast is listed after the fall of Babylon in the outline given in Revelation 14 which details the MAJOR signs of the end of the age.

The fall of Babylon is the key to it all. Once one understands who "mystery Babylon" is and when she falls, the rest of the end-time puzzle comes into clearer focus. Also, when it actually does happen the whole world will be changed instantly. It's going to be nuclear annihilation. The world is going to be drastically altered when that day comes. Nuclear winter, poisoned water, famine, etc. That's why the antichrist comes on the scene after that day happens because he will have all the answers. And that will be part of the lie that the world will accept in those days.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Well, if it is meant to happen, then it will happen. A question to ask is what does this mean in respect to what we believe about it? If the end of the world is just something that "just is", then that brings into account the importance of purpose and meaning. It's not so important if the end of the world signifies the end of the values we hold to. That just may make some people abandon their morals in anticipation of the end for their thinking may be...it's not going to matter whether we do good or bad for it's all going end anyway.
  • VIBE
    edited December 2011
    Well, the solar flares just might come true, who knows..
    After five years of surprising quiet, the sun roared to life in 2011.

Our star erupted with numerous strong flares and waves of charged particles. Many researchers predict the surge will culminate in a peak in the sun's 11-year activity cycle in 2013.

This year also marked several key advances in scientists' understanding of the dynamics driving our favorite star. Here are some of the solar highlights of 2011:

Solar flares and CMEs

Having been relatively quiet since 2005, the sun spouted off a number of powerful flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) this year.

CMEs are made up of massive clouds of plasma that are sent streaking through space in any direction at several million mph. When these clouds are aimed at Earth, they can spawn geomagnetic storms that wreak havoc with GPS signals, radio communications and power grids. [Photos of Solar Flares & Storms]

"We are getting more CMEs and starting to get some more-energetic CME/flare combinations," Terry Kucera, deputy project scientist with NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory spacecraft, told SPACE.com via email.

Scientists classify strong solar flares in three categories: C, M and X, with the X-class being the most powerful. So far in 2011, eight X-class flares have been observed.

The largest solar flare in more than four years exploded from the sun in August. The blast wasn't directed at Earth, instead jettisoning into space.

Our planet had not been as lucky on Valentine's Day. The first wave of radiation reached Earth eight minutes after a big flare and CME, disrupting radio communications and GPS systems.

The particles from the ejection arrived a day or so later, triggering dramatic northern lights displays and spawning a geomagnetic storm that caused further radio interruptions.

In March, a solar storm created the fastest-traveling CME seen in six years. A wave of particles racing at 5 million mph (8 million kph) shot into space away from Earth.

Similarly, around Labor Day in September, the sun erupted with several CMEs and solar flares, including an X-class outburst Sept. 6.

But Kucera said her favorite eruption occurred on June 7: a medium-size solar flare, a minor radiation storm and a unique CME from an active sunspot region.

"A lot of cool, dense material didn't make it out and fell back to the sun," she said.

The spectacle of plasma crashing backing into our star had never been seen before.

"It was amazing to look at," Kucera said.

C. Alex Young, senior support scientist with SOHO and NASA's Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO), agreed, calling it "the top natural event" of 2011.

"More than likely, such an event has occurred, but never before would we have seen it in such detail," he told SPACE.com by email.

All of these active eruptions are considered normal for this level of solar activity.

"During solar minimum, there is an average of one CME every five days, and during solar maximum the average is around three per day," Young said.

Kamikaze comets

A number of comets crashed into the sun in 2011, and on July 6 scientists captured one such death dive in its entirety for the first time ever.

The observations, made by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory spacecraft, should improve scientists' understanding of comet composition, researchers have said. [Video: Comet Dives Into Sun During Solar Eruption]

Sometimes daredevil comets survive their ordeals against all odds. In December, Comet Lovejoy had a close encounter with the sun that experts thought would be fatal. It passed within 87,000 miles (140,000 kilometers) of the solar surface — but re-emerged on the sun's other side and zipped off into space.

Lovejoy is part of a group known as Kreutz sungrazers. Most of these comets are thought to come from a single giant comet that broke apart several centuries ago. They are named for the 19th-century German astronomer Heinrich Kreutz, who first showed that such comets are related.

"Seeing a comet enter the million degree solar corona with an extreme-ultraviolate imager (SDO), then to see one enter and exit is so cool!" Young said.

A year of advances

The year also brought a greater understanding of what's happening on the sun.

At the start of the year, NASA's twin Stereo probes took up their positions on the side of the sun farthest from Earth, allowing solar scientists to view that previously hidden surface.

"This is fantastic," Young said. "With SOHO, SDO, and Stereo, we really see the sun with a completeness like never before."

Solar researchers now have their eyes on the entire star, meaning it will have a harder time surprising us. Scientists can identify active sunspots, which may birth intense flares and potentially damaging CMEs, on the "back" side of the sun before they rotate around to face Earth.

In January, astronomers reported using the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) spacecraft and the Japanese satellite Hinode to image and measure giant plumes of gas zooming up from the sun's surface. Known as spicules, these fountains were found to be hotter than previously observed, which means they could be a significant cause of the heating of the sun's outer atmosphere, or corona.

Images of 191 solar flares by SDO also helped a separate group of astronomers make some new inferences about the sun. Many of the images showed a delayed brightening, or a "late phase," minutes to hours after the peak. Because they were not connected with another X-ray burst, these late phases had managed to escape scientists' notice in the past.

Analysis of a year's worth of images revealed that solar flares generally release more energy than was realized.

The solar activity is likely to continue increasing until 2013 or so, Kucera said.

Young agrees.

"With the increased activity and the great data we have from SDO, Stereo, SOHO, and more, 2012 should be a very exciting year in solar physics."