Cam Newton Blames VY and Jamarcus Russell for him being criticized so much.

Options
jay83
jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8257dcf3/article/panthers-newton-criticism-not-racist-jamarcus-vy-to-blame?module=HP11_headline_stack

Some of Newton's critics were so harsh that his mentor, Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, believed their reviews were racially charged. But Newton wouldn't play up the race card in an interview for next month's issue of ESPN The Magazine, instead pointing to people's bias because of past failed high-pick QBs -- although there is a catch to what he says.

"I can't sit up here and look at it like, 'Oh man, my critics are racist,' " Newton said. "I blame JaMarcus Russell and to some degree Vince Young. If you have the opportunity to make that kind of money doing something you love to do, why would you screw it up? I'm trying to be a trailblazer. If Baylor's Robert Griffin decides to come out, I want people to say 'He can be the next Cam Newton' instead of 'He's going to be the next JaMarcus Russell.' "

Now, about the catch, Newton specifically blames two black quarterbacks for his being disrespected, so maybe the criticism was racial but no so much racist (there is a difference)?

Anyhow, Newton had much more to say about his critics, specifically how he was in disbelief when, all of a sudden, they wanted to do interviews after he became the first player in NFL history to open his career with back-to-back 400-yard passing games.
Newton's remarkable transition
Find out how Cam Newton has adapted from Auburn's run-option attack to successfully running the Panthers' pro-style offense. More...

"I had people who can't throw a football telling me my mechanics were wrong," Newton said. "I had people taking shots at my character, classifying me as a thug, as a hoodlum. After Week 3 or 4, all these same people wanted an interview. I said, 'You were giving me all this ? and had so much to say about how I was going to play, and now you want to talk? No. Just sit back and watch the show, man.' "

It's been pretty impressive, too. Newton already has eclipsed Peyton Manning in passing yards for a rookie-record 3,893, while scoring 34 total touchdowns (20 passing, 14 rushing). Eagles quarterback Michael Vick recently said Newton will revolutionize the game, and that's exactly what Newton wants.

"Gone are the days of the drop-back quarterback who can only throw the ball," Newton said. "You know the new iPhone? It's faster, more powerful and smarter. It's revolutionary. Why can't the quarterback be like that? Why can't you be a big, tall, fast, quick, strong, smart, mobile quarterback who's unstoppable?"

Well damn. lol

Dude just called himself a smart phone.

Comments

• JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    thats some real ? i woulda preffered him not calling out VY and Russell by name (giving the crackas more ammo) but i can dig him the ? know he a beast and trying to change the sterotype of black QB's so i can dig it
  • W!Z G
    W!Z G Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    That boy is gonna b something special if he keeps it up
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Shout to Cam for mentioning RG3.
    And he's trill for everything he said.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    jusdre313 wrote: »
    thats some real ? i woulda preffered him not calling out VY and Russell by name (giving the crackas more ammo) but i can dig him the ? know he a beast and trying to change the sterotype of black QB's so i can dig it

I hear what you are sayin . but blacks have to stop fakin and check ourselves . Russell wanted to sip lean and eat sausage sandwiches and VY was like a emotional ass Columbine teenager wanting to ? himself and ? . They did make the Black QB look ? up . Qb's like Cam take the hit for that stereotype when they really have the talent and drive to succeed because of these ?
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Peace to Cam but this game is unpredictable. Once he takes a step backwards next season them crackkka media gon start to criticise him.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Shots fired at all them ESPN analyst, and poor VY and Russell getting hit on the sidelines. (don't even ask me how)
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The best thing for Cam is to let his game do the talkn. Next season defenses should adjust to him. Panthers need to strengthen that D.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Cam is a beast and he has so much swag n/h.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    He's right though, JaMarcus and VY were ? .
  • Hypernova
    Hypernova Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I like his authenticity.

I think he has the right mindset as far as preparation goes on field, just stay smart off the field
  • dabullsss
    dabullsss Banned Users Posts: 853
    edited December 2011
    Options
    thats was sum RNS from cam
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    I just became a fan... I ? with Cam Newton... He kept it so G just now.. Told his critics to sit back and watch the show.. Nice..

Agreed.....this ? took alot of ? coming into the draft and he shut everyone up including myself ...I didn't think he would be this good
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    If he was real he woulda said all Vince did was won games just like Tebow but never got the same preferential treatment..... Most of what he said was truth but he better humble himslef a little cuz dem crackers are waiting for him to ? up. They were looking to jump on him for that other interview when he bashed his teammates. With that said I cheer for him cuz he is the next generation of qb and hopefully will lead a new wave of big tall black qbs who can run and throw = no more pocket white qbs lol
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Cam just certified his G status
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    cam got a point...nothing he said was wrong....and LOL @ him comparing himself to the Iphone...guess that makes byron leftwich an ol beeper...
  • southsil4lil
    southsil4lil Members Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? Scam Newton how he gonna put Vince and Jamarcus in the same breath? So he gonna act like vince ain't a 2 time pro bowler and been to the playoffs.....I hope VY yokes that ? like he did that bouncer out here in Dallas
  • jay83
    edited December 2011
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    If he was real he woulda said all Vince did was won games just like Tebow but never got the same preferential treatment..... Most of what he said was truth but he better humble himslef a little cuz dem crackers are waiting for him to ? up. They were looking to jump on him for that other interview when he bashed his teammates. With that said I cheer for him cuz he is the next generation of qb and hopefully will lead a new wave of big tall black qbs who can run and throw = no more pocket white qbs lol

How many QB's get Tebow treatment though? Tebow's hype will probably never be outdone anytime soon. Its not all a white thing. Plus VY has the mental toughness of a 13 year old 2nd string player.
  • jay83
    edited December 2011
    Options
    him comparing himself to the Iphone...guess that makes byron leftwich an ol beeper...

lol. What does that make Jamarcus Russell?

Those fake ones you get from the candy machines??
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    lol. What does that make Jamarcus Russell?

Those fake ones you get from the candy machines??

1219179319W6QYR9.jpg
  • Hypernova
    Hypernova Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    the utter laziness and pure garbage(ness) that Jamarcus displayed lowered the black QB benchmark significantly. Vince won a lot of games but he was a mental midget.

Vick is now pretty good, but he admitted he didn't prepare in Atlanta

Hopefully Cam and RG3 can learn from the ^ and set the benchmark even higher than Vick has done lately
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    he's basically tryna say people overrated the criticism he faced.......
    mostly cause every little thing he got critiqued over was attributed his to race..i aint mad at that he just keepin it real, maybe too real
    dude got drafted first overall for a reason..
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    this is pure phaggitre.

Jamarcus had a disease, that effects one's entire livelihood but he wasn't lightskinned enough to garner the proper medical care nor concern, from the raiders

hahahaha. GOAT alias, for real.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Cam Newton is that dude. Much respect.
  • GoodSiqMoney
    GoodSiqMoney Members Posts: 255
    edited December 2011
    Options
    cam put a bigger target on his back
    but i give him props for sayin what he said