BATISTA signed to STRIKEFORCE??!!!!

powerman 5000
powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Off The Turn Buckle
So this guy dave batista is going to fight mma as a number of pro wrestlers before him has. He signed a deal with strikeforce today but did not reveal his first opponent. Let's hope it's bobby lashley. I got lashley by actually being a skilled fighter. Discuss...

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    You're kidding. Link??

This insane, MMA is just the top top extreme sport now. Everyone is moving over to MMA.

Personally, I don't see Batista doing very much. He'll fight maybe 1 fight, or 2. I'd be surprised to even see him fight once but I don't think he'll last. What backgrounds does he have for MMA?
  • VIBE
    edited June 2010
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Didnt booker t 2 piece this dude batista wont survive in mma
  • VIBE
    edited June 2010
    Didnt booker t 2 piece this dude batista wont survive in mma

Nah, Batista did a number on Book. Book gave Batista a black eye a bit, nothing bad. Book I think had two black eyes and word was he had his ass handed to him.
  • BigTruth21
    BigTruth21 Members Posts: 45
    edited June 2010
    Co-sign. Lashley actually has a mma background. Batista would get his ass handed to him
  • EmandWeezy=Goats
    EmandWeezy=Goats Members Posts: 1,034
    edited June 2010
    "The report is not correct. Batista is not signed," Afromowitz told 5thRound.com.

It may be that a contract was not signed or, as I noted earlier, that Batista may have just been ? with the TMZ.com cameraman that captured the footage.

Time will tell.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/48531/strikeforce-says-no-batista.html?p=1
  • jean-paul batiste
    jean-paul batiste Members Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    i see batista gettin beat like kimbo slice.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Nah, Batista did a number on Book. Book gave Batista a black eye a bit, nothing bad. Book I think had two black eyes and word was he had his ass handed to him.

CREDIT: Prowrestling.net

TMZ reached out to Booker T for comments on Batista claiming to join MMA. Booker told TMZ that he doesn't think Batista can "match up" with the top fighters in Strikeforce. Furthermore, he added that Batista would "last five minutes" with Bobby Lashley. To read more on the story, visit TMZ.com.

Powell's POV: By all accounts, Booker dominated Batista in a backstage fight while both men worked for WWE. TMZ remembered the fight and reached out to Booker for comments. I can't disagree with Booker's assessment of Batista's chances in MMA.

• TdotGoHARD87
    TdotGoHARD87 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    if batista cant fight booker....(obviously cause he a ? from the hood lol)....he will get his ass handed to him in the cage EARLY!
  • powerman 5000
    edited July 2010
    Strikeforce officials are still floating around the idea of promoting ex-WWE star David Batista’s mixed martial arts debut. The promotion’s CEO Scott Coker said the pro wrestling personality and his team met with Strikeforce following its June 16 event at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.

“They have the desire to fight in MMA and we’re trying to put together a deal that makes sense,” Coker told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show last week. “Is he signed right now? No. But is he somebody we’d like to see in the cage in the future fighting for Strikeforce? It’s a possibility.”

The 41-year-old Batista, who was a repeated WWE champion during his eight-year tenure with the pro wrestling outlet, has no reported prior combat sports experience thus far, though Coker has been told that Batista has already hired a striking coach and a ground instructor to train with.

“Just like we did with Herschel (Walker), we’d have to put him into a gym,” said Coker of a potential deal. “It doesn’t matter what gym, as long as it’s a reputable mixed martial arts academy. He has to go in there and train because if he didn’t, we’d probably have a short relationship.”

Coker said Batista’s star power, and specifically his ability to draw on an equally strong demographic of viewers outside of MMA, is an obvious selling point for the would-be fighter.

When asked if former WWE champion and decorated college wrestler Bobby Lashley was under consideration as a potential opponent for Batista, Coker acknowledged that the bout had some cache.

“That would just be a fun fight to watch,” said Coker.

If there were any right time to sign Batista, now could be a good one. UFC President Dana White has repeatedly declared that his pairing of pro boxer James Toney against former UFC champion Randy Couture in August is “a freak show.”

“We’re not the guys that are putting all the circus fights on,” said Coker, “but in all fairness, look at Brock Lesnar. He made the crossover. Why not Batista?”

As opposed to KImbo Slice -- who was reportedly released by the UFC after a second-round defeat to fellow novice Matt Mitrione in May -- Coker said there was an element of surprise in how Batista would fair.

“I think Kimbo’s had his run, so to speak,” said Coker. “He’s kind of had his time in the MMA business whereas Batista hasn’t and Herschel hasn’t. We already know how Kimbo will do, so, to me, there’s a little curiosity factor (with Batista).”
  • powerman 5000
    edited July 2010
    Former World Wrestling Entertainment star Dave Batista started a two-day training stint with the Cesar Gracie camp Wednesday after Strikeforce helped facilitate the connection with the potential signee and the noted California gym.

Gracie told Sherdog.com that Batista arrived this afternoon and worked out with former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and rolled with welterweight champion Nick Diaz at the Cesar Gracie gym in Lodi, Calif.

Gracie said that his initial read of the 41-year-old pro wrestler was that he is a “natural athlete.”

“He’s got a lot to learn but his strength alone is impressive,” Gracie told Sherdog.com Wednesday evening. “Obviously he’s a beginner at jiu-jitsu but we can take a guy like that that’s already a strong athlete like that and teach him what to not get caught in.”

Gracie said Batista, who grew up in Washington D.C., wrestled in high school and has some background in traditional martial arts standup fighting.

“He’s a pretty good kicker,” said Gracie. “He hits very hard.”

Gracie said he, Batista, training partner Imani Lee and Strikeforce matchmaker Rich Chou were to meet Wednesday evening to discuss a game plan to get Batista ready for a pro MMA fight.

Strikeforce is negotiating with the multi-time Wrestlemania headliner to try his hand in MMA. A long-time fan of the sport, who has reportedly trained at the Affliction training facility in Los Angeles, Batista began talks with Strikeforce last month after ending a lucrative eight-year run with the WWE. Batista said in interviews that he had become disillusioned with the industry and has recently pursued film acting.

“I did discuss it with him and he told me he was definitely interested in doing an MMA fight, so that’s the game plan and I think what we’re going to discuss is a training schedule and some serious ? training,” said Gracie. “I think they realized when they were training with my guys today, they were amazed.”

Gracie said the connection started with Lee, who fought on the same Dream 14 card as Nick Diaz in May.

“Nick and Imani, they started working, talking and working technique and then Imani expressed his desire to come up,” Gracie said.

Batista and Lee tried to contact Diaz for several days after the event, Gracie said, but were unsuccessful. They went to Strikeforce for help reaching Gracie, and the promotion facilitated the connection.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has said he would be interested to see Batista tested in the MMA cage, and is particularly interested in matching him with another WWE alumnus in Bobby Lashley.

Gracie said he can see where promoters would be interested in Batista because he is “very charismatic, very self confident . . . definitely a presence.”

Asked when he thinks Batista would be ready for a pro fight, Gracie said it would depend on who his opponent is.

“You’re talking about a guy who is very powerful, very strong and an extremely hard worker, and if he can put it all together he could be a very formidable force,” he said. “And he’s at the right camp for that… Our camp is known for bringing people with nothing and making them into something. We like to make champs.”

I bet nick diaz whooped his ? ass.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Former World Wrestling Entertainment star Dave Batista started a two-day training stint with the Cesar Gracie camp Wednesday after Strikeforce helped facilitate the connection with the potential signee and the noted California gym.

Gracie told Sherdog.com that Batista arrived this afternoon and worked out with former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and rolled with welterweight champion Nick Diaz at the Cesar Gracie gym in Lodi, Calif.

Gracie said that his initial read of the 41-year-old pro wrestler was that he is a “natural athlete.”

“He’s got a lot to learn but his strength alone is impressive,” Gracie told Sherdog.com Wednesday evening. “Obviously he’s a beginner at jiu-jitsu but we can take a guy like that that’s already a strong athlete like that and teach him what to not get caught in.”

Gracie said Batista, who grew up in Washington D.C., wrestled in high school and has some background in traditional martial arts standup fighting.

“He’s a pretty good kicker,” said Gracie. “He hits very hard.”

Gracie said he, Batista, training partner Imani Lee and Strikeforce matchmaker Rich Chou were to meet Wednesday evening to discuss a game plan to get Batista ready for a pro MMA fight.

Strikeforce is negotiating with the multi-time Wrestlemania headliner to try his hand in MMA. A long-time fan of the sport, who has reportedly trained at the Affliction training facility in Los Angeles, Batista began talks with Strikeforce last month after ending a lucrative eight-year run with the WWE. Batista said in interviews that he had become disillusioned with the industry and has recently pursued film acting.

“I did discuss it with him and he told me he was definitely interested in doing an MMA fight, so that’s the game plan and I think what we’re going to discuss is a training schedule and some serious ? training,” said Gracie. “I think they realized when they were training with my guys today, they were amazed.”

Gracie said the connection started with Lee, who fought on the same Dream 14 card as Nick Diaz in May.

“Nick and Imani, they started working, talking and working technique and then Imani expressed his desire to come up,” Gracie said.

Batista and Lee tried to contact Diaz for several days after the event, Gracie said, but were unsuccessful. They went to Strikeforce for help reaching Gracie, and the promotion facilitated the connection.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has said he would be interested to see Batista tested in the MMA cage, and is particularly interested in matching him with another WWE alumnus in Bobby Lashley.

Gracie said he can see where promoters would be interested in Batista because he is “very charismatic, very self confident . . . definitely a presence.”

Asked when he thinks Batista would be ready for a pro fight, Gracie said it would depend on who his opponent is.

“You’re talking about a guy who is very powerful, very strong and an extremely hard worker, and if he can put it all together he could be a very formidable force,” he said. “And he’s at the right camp for that… Our camp is known for bringing people with nothing and making them into something. We like to make champs.”

I bet nick diaz whooped his ? ass.

lmao b/c its probably tru lol