More proof that life was not designed by a ?

Options

Comments

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    show me where i altered the verses i quoted, you liar
    Jesus Christ fulfilled the requirements of the Old Testament. He did so by keeping the whole law. Something that nobody has ever done, thus He is our perfect sacrifice because He lived a sinless life. You saying that slavery is endorsed, condoned, and encouraged by ? tells me that you have no clue about what you are talking about. You have no idea who ? is by even insinuating that He condones slavery. Thank you come again.
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ktulu is on point...

? is killer, murderer, he did condone ? , murder,genocide..and even destroyed whole cites himself...

the old testament and the new testament ARE ON IN THE SAME...like kutlu said, nothing chnages until all prophecies are fufuilled...scripture prooves this, and there are many prophetic scriptures from old and new testament...the laws are somethign different all together (read pauls letter to galatians, he explains it)

but u cant say the old testament is done away with.

what kutlu lacks tho, is the wisdom knowledge and udnerstaning to find the tru meaning of the scriptures...theres no contradictory if you learn your history, and udnerstand that there is a time and a place for everything.

even slavery...? enslaved his own people, and said he would send them into slavery once again for breaking his laws...but thsi time, they would be sent into slavery on ships (only 1 group of people were taken into slavery on ships)

infact, ? cursed his own chosen people as much as the other wicked nations....but there was a greater sceme/plan in sight...

most importantly you need to find out who the israelites were, and who they are today, and why the whole bible revolves around the chosen people of ? , the nation of israel (12 tribes)

then find out who the other nations were back then, and who they are today (use the tables of nations in genesis, aswell as other books)..most inportanlty israels arch enemy, the edomites.

also take into account, ? only gave the power to break down the scriptures to his chosen 'elect' among israel., even backk then alot of the apostles and prohets did'nt understand what they were writing, or some of the teachings...

kutlu unfortuneatley is most definaatly not an israelite, and even if he was, hes most certainly not of the elect...so hes breakign down and udnerstanding of the scriptures, will never be accurate.

match up ancient hsitory, with tru meanings of words in hebrew and greek, along with modern day history and science...and the bible becomes alot clearer
  • louis the great
    louis the great Members Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you claim to be a christian but you don't believe Jesus is one with his Father

okay

so you're NOT a christian
    interesting ?

LOL Really Am.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You have no idea who ? is by even insinuating that He condones slavery.

i already posted bible verses that show the ? of the bible is okay with slavery

if jesus kept the whole law, jesus did not argue with the OT law that says slavery is cool

so you are proven wrong, deal with it
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LOL Really Am.

okay well i am not challenging your right to say you are a christian

but i do question how you can say a christian does not believe jesus is one with the father ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah I think I was misreading you as well, my bad.

But to respond to the why and how thing, I think those questions are actually one and the same. Answering how answers why at the same time, unless we are assuming a priori that there is a pre-determined future purpose for things.

Well we'll have to disagree there. I think there is a very big difference between "why" and "how." "How" just describes the mechanism behind something's functioning. Answers for the "how" question rarely give the reason for why that mechanism exists. "Why" goes deeper. It's a more fundamental question. Sometimes the two questions can result in the same answer. But when you get to the larger more fundamental questions, they don't mesh. For instance, if I ask "why are we here," from a scientific viewpoint you can supply the answer to "how" life came to be, but that doesn't necessarily answer the philisophical question I'm posing. That's why religion still exists because no matter how far our science has come, it still hasn't answered many of the questions people have in that regard.
    And the computer programmer thing: Sure, but there's no evidence of a programmer at all. Possibility doesn't mean probability. We need evidence for that. And the evidence we've got now supports a naturalistic worldview.

I hate to use cliche but the absence of evidence in favor of something is not evidence against it. I understand what you're saying. It is a viable philosophy to believe in only what you can see before you. However, that's not the only way to be and it's not necessarily the best way to be. A lot of success for people has come from their belief in things that weren't necessarily supported by facts. That's where faith comes in. You either have it or you don't. It's not something that can be gained rationally.

How you gonna be a physicist and say a thing like this? You gotta know the Big Bang is supported by a mountain of evidence and that nobody of note in physics today actually has a problem with it. The fact that you'd say this suggests that you don't even know the great weight a theory holds in science, as I think I was talking about before.

Or maybe you're one of those physicists who thinks your "Laws" are actually superior in some way to biology's "theories." That's just nomenclature.

The Big Bang Theory is just that, it's a theory. It may be the most widely known and accepted theory in science, but it's not the only one. Take the Cyclic Universe Theory for instance:

http://www.princeton.edu/pr/pwb/02/0506/0506-cyclicuniverse.htm

It is also a viable theory. That's the difference between a theory and a law. A theory is a set of proposed ideas that is used to explain some natural phenomenon. The key word is proposed meaning it's something that's put out there but it hasn't been proven true with any definite certainty. A law gives a definite description of some phenomenon and has been proven true within the scope of the law.

Newton's Laws are laws because they are absolutely true within the bounds of Newtonian physics. They have been proven and their are no alternate explanations for those relationships. Theories are generally larger in scope than laws because they seek to describe large scale phenomena whereas Law usually describe specific relationships. Theories often incorporate laws to support the theory. Laws are more fundamental and are usually built off of proven mathematical formulations. So there is a significant difference between theories in biology and laws in physics. It's not just a matter of nomenclature. I'm not saying theories aren't very important in science. They are of course, but they aren't as solid as you're suggesting, and some are definitely more close to "correct" than others. Hell, there are even theories that scientists work off of that they know don't hold up in certain areas, but they still use them because they need a direction to work towards.

okay like what?

Just the functioning of things to begin with. So many variables had to come together in a very precise way for life to even deleop the way it did in the first place. For instance, scientist recently created a very basic form of life. Athiests jumped at the chance to use that prove there was no ? . What they didn't acknowledge is that it all took place in a laboratory which is a very controlled environment much different from that which life was to have supposed randomly spring from. They also used components from living things in order to create life so that's cheating. They basically did a Frankenstein job moreso than actually creating life from scratch. Lastly, they incorporated all of this in to a plan to make life. In other words, they used a designed experiment and a blueprint to create life. They didn't just throw a bunch of stuff together in a laboratory and wait till rudimentary life popped up.

Now statistically, it is possible that over the trillions of years the universe has existed and out of all the trillions of planets out there, life could have randomly sprung up on a few without any planning. That's a reasonable assertion. However, given the complexity of the system behind the creation and maintaining of life that is necessary for it to become what it is on Earth, I think it's also reasonable to say that there was an architect behind it all.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    ktulu is on point...

? is killer, murderer, he did condone ? , murder,genocide..and even destroyed whole cites himself...

the old testament and the new testament ARE ON IN THE SAME...like kutlu said, nothing chnages until all prophecies are fufuilled...scripture prooves this, and there are many prophetic scriptures from old and new testament...the laws are somethign different all together (read pauls letter to galatians, he explains it)

but u cant say the old testament is done away with.

what kutlu lacks tho, is the wisdom knowledge and udnerstaning to find the tru meaning of the scriptures...theres no contradictory if you learn your history, and udnerstand that there is a time and a place for everything.

even slavery...? enslaved his own people, and said he would send them into slavery once again for breaking his laws...but thsi time, they would be sent into slavery on ships (only 1 group of people were taken into slavery on ships)

infact, ? cursed his own chosen people as much as the other wicked nations....but there was a greater sceme/plan in sight...

most importantly you need to find out who the israelites were, and who they are today, and why the whole bible revolves around the chosen people of ? , the nation of israel (12 tribes)

then find out who the other nations were back then, and who they are today (use the tables of nations in genesis, aswell as other books)..most inportanlty israels arch enemy, the edomites.

also take into account, ? only gave the power to break down the scriptures to his chosen 'elect' among israel., even backk then alot of the apostles and prohets did'nt understand what they were writing, or some of the teachings...

kutlu unfortuneatley is most definaatly not an israelite, and even if he was, hes most certainly not of the elect...so hes breakign down and udnerstanding of the scriptures, will never be accurate.

match up ancient hsitory, with tru meanings of words in hebrew and greek, along with modern day history and science...and the bible becomes alot clearer

WOW that last part was super on point. just a quick question (not tryna be funny)

but do u really speak Hebrew AND GREEK? really?
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? is a killer, but he's not a murderer. Murder is defined as an unlawful killing. Since ? is the Law, killings he commits by definition cannot be murder. Show me where ? condoned ? . I know he impregnated women without their knowledge or consent, but he wasn't Zeus, he didn't actually have sex with them to do that. He didn't commit genocide either. Genocide would mean he killed a whole race. Nowhere in the Bible did he do that (aside from the great flood). He did ? or assist in killing whole towns and cities, but those people were warned and chose to disregard the warning.

I think calling ? a murderer is a misrepresentation, but I do think he did some questionable things. For example, in the Joshua/Jericho story, the Israelite army killed every living thing in the city with ? 's permission. It's my understanding that the people in that town hadn't really done anything besides be on the land that ? promised to the Israelites. Why would he back the wholesale killing of all those people for nothing more than existing. The same applies in the stories with King David. In many of their battles, they completely eliminated whole cities killing everyone that lived there. Why go that far?

I also disagree that the Old Testament and New Testament should be treated the same. The New Testament represents a new approach by ? . In the Old Testament, there was a lot of hard core punishing of people for their sins. The New Testament does away with that and uses Jesus' sacrifice to deal with the sinful nature of Man. That doesn't mean that the Law has been done away. It also doesn't mean that those who cling to sin won't eventually be punished. It does however mean that we don't go stoning people for commiting sins. We urge them to sincerely repent and strive to overcome their sinful nature.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    @ The Lonious Monk. You have specialized knowledge in physics, yes? Whats the deal with the Higgs Boson?? From my rudimentary understanding of it, it seems to be relevant to the topic.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    @ The Lonious Monk. You have specialized knowledge in physics, yes? Whats the deal with the Higgs Boson?? From my rudimentary understanding of it, it seems to be relevant to the topic.

The Higgs Boson is basically a particle that produces a field that gives everything else mass. So basically all matter exists the way we know it due to exposure to the Higgs Field. That's why it's called the "? Particle." It is predicted by the Standard Model used in particle physics, but it is the only particle that has not actually been observed. It receives a lot of attention because it would explain a lot of things that are questioned in particle physics.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    if I ask "why are we here," from a scientific viewpoint you can supply the answer to "how" life came to be, but that doesn't necessarily answer the philisophical question I'm posing.
    And I'm asserting that the philosophical question you're posing is based on a fallacy of assumption. Because of your monotheistic cultural bias, you begin with the assumption that existence has a purpose like an intelligent agency would assign to things. This is human-centric thinking and also hints at why the gods of all the religions act pretty much like human beings but with superpowers. They're capricious and jealous and they feel love and hate, etc.
    That's why religion still exists because no matter how far our science has come, it still hasn't answered many of the questions people have in that regard.
    Religion still exists because it forces its traditions on children.
    I hate to use cliche but the absence of evidence in favor of something is not evidence against it.
    I disagree with that cliche, though. We all thought Rumsfeld was a liar when he used it. Why? Because if you don't have evidence and your argument isn't that great, it's safe to say that you're wrong.
    It is a viable philosophy to believe in only what you can see before you.
    That's not my philosophy. I'll believe anything that MAKES SENSE. Magical super powered cosmic intelligences don't make any sense at all.
    It's not something that can be gained rationally.
    Yeah, I agree, belief in ? is completely irrational.
    A law gives a definite description of some phenomenon and has been proven true within the scope of the law.
    1. if this were correct, laws would never get updated in light of new information, but this has been happening since Newton

2. evolution has been proven true, so if you really want, you can call it a law, but you'll confuse biology textbook publishers.
    Newton's Laws are laws because they are absolutely true within the bounds of Newtonian physics.
    a tautology

and for centuries, people assumed newton's laws should hold in all circumstances, but then quantum physics showed this was incorrect

but we're just griping about nomenclature now
    Just the functioning of things to begin with.
    I knew you weren't going to offer any specifics. You're giving an argumentum ad ignorantum. You're uncertain about things, so you jump to the conclusion that a MAGICAL SUPER BEING did it all. It's just silly.
    So many variables had to come together in a very precise way for life to even deleop the way it did in the first place.
    And there are about 70 sextillion stars in the universe with billions of planets orbiting them. Why is it surprising at all that life would form?

you roll that many dice, you're gonna win a few billion rounds.
    For instance, scientist recently created a very basic form of life.
    i remember that, they actually didn't really make any "life." but the press always exaggerates the hell out of new research.
    Athiests jumped at the chance to use that prove there was no ? .
    1. Atheists. Atheists.

2. Name these people who jumped at this chance.
    Now statistically, it is possible that over the trillions of years the universe has existed
    are you sure you're a physics guy?

the universe is a mere 13.7 billion years old
    and out of all the trillions of planets out there, life could have randomly sprung up on a few without any planning. That's a reasonable assertion. However, given the complexity of the system behind the creation and maintaining of life that is necessary for it to become what it is on Earth, I think it's also reasonable to say that there was an architect behind it all.
    so you admit it's possible for life to arise naturally

then you say maybe also it was MAGIC

i think that's an unreasonable assertion. it's unreasonable because you already said it was unnecessary, you can't give any specifics at all here, you admit to simply being overwhelmed by the complexity, and you're asserting a completely unfounded and (by definition) illogical conclusion

then consider how many waves of mass extinction the planet has suffered

if an architect is maintaining the life here, he's doing a ? job

to begin with, his creations maim and slaughter each other just to survive

then a meteor hit and killed some of his best ?

this idea that anybody is watching out for the life on this planet is just plain worthy of ridicule after you honestly look at what goes on here
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I also disagree that the Old Testament and New Testament should be treated the same. The New Testament represents a new approach by ? . In the Old Testament, there was a lot of hard core punishing of people for their sins. The New Testament does away with that and uses Jesus' sacrifice to deal with the sinful nature of Man. That doesn't mean that the Law has been done away. It also doesn't mean that those who cling to sin won't eventually be punished. It does however mean that we don't go stoning people for commiting sins. We urge them to sincerely repent and strive to overcome their sinful nature.

The New Testament is worse.

In the OT, maybe ? would have you slaughtered by his chosen people, maybe he'd give you a plague, maybe he'd ? every first-born son in your town..... but after that, you were straight because there was no eternal damnation. There was no everlasting Hell fire in the OT.

In the NT, sweet baby Jesus is the first to deliver the message about burning in a lake of fire for all eternity if you don't accept him as the new boss.

and everybody seems to think it was nice of ? to sacrifice his son for us. really? it was nice to have a supposedly perfectly innocent man brutally beaten and then murdered by an extremely painful method?

how is it moral to suggest that an innocent person should be punished for other peoples wrongdoings, also?

and mega LOL at the idea that an omniscient thinker is going to bring a "new plan" into play

ridiculous
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    reject him and allow their souls to burn in Hell's Eternal Fire.

yeah its not a good policy

fortunately, ? and hell don't exist
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i get the feeling this is not the type of person who we can have a real conversation with lol
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And I'm asserting that the philosophical question you're posing is based on a fallacy of assumption. Because of your monotheistic cultural bias, you begin with the assumption that existence has a purpose like an intelligent agency would assign to things. This is human-centric thinking and also hints at why the gods of all the religions act pretty much like human beings but with superpowers. They're capricious and jealous and they feel love and hate, etc.

This is understood. As I said before, belief in ? is a matter of faith not logic. I never said that logic dictates that ? exists, so there is no fallacy. All I've said is that nothing has proven that ? doesn't exist and based on my experiences, I believe he does. I will say that all belief in a higher being is not the same. There is a difference between analyzing the complexity of the universe and asserting that there appears to be a design at play and seeing lighting and believing there must be a man in the clouds throwing it.

Religion still exists because it forces its traditions on children.

That's not true. Children often rebel against what is force on them. Just because you're raised in the church doesn't mean you'll continue with it in life. Actually, most people who are raised in the church leave it for a peiod and then come back meaning that it is more that draws them to it than just having it forced on them at a young age.

I disagree with that cliche, though. We all thought Rumsfeld was a liar when he used it. Why? Because if you don't have evidence and your argument isn't that great, it's safe to say that you're wrong.

How can you disagree with it? It's a logical fact. Just because you can't prove something exists, doesn't mean that they don't. The presence of atoms were predicted way back in Ancient Greece, but it was a long time before it could be proven to any degree of certainty. At that time, people could have and did make the same argument against atoms that you do against ? . "If they do exist, show me proof." None was given at that time, but as we now know, atoms do exist.

That's not my philosophy. I'll believe anything that MAKES SENSE. Magical super powered cosmic intelligences don't make any sense at all.

Well that's one way to think. However, you have to acknowledge that you are a being of limited knowledge and intelligence. We all are. There are likely a lot fo things that wouldn't make sense to you. That doesn't mean those things don't exist.

1. if this were correct, laws would never get updated in light of new information, but this has been happening since Newton

2. evolution has been proven true, so if you really want, you can call it a law, but you'll confuse biology textbook publishers.

The nature of the laws are very seldom updated. The scope that the Laws cover are. Newton's Laws haven't changed since their initial formulation. However, we now know that they fall apart when talking about things that are very small, very large, or moving at very high speeds. Therefore the laws are limited to Newtonian Physics. Even in this regard though, they haven't really been disregarded in the cases where they don't apply. The Correspondance Principle shows that when the proper boundary conditions are applied all those other laws such as those for Relativity condense back into Newton's Laws.

Evolution as a theory hasn't been proven true. Aspects of the Theory have been proven true. As I said before, Theories often incorporate Laws into them. In Biology, it's different because Laws aren't used quite as much as in Physics since most laws are built on mathematical formulation and biology as a subject makes far less use of math than physics.
    a tautology

and for centuries, people assumed newton's laws should hold in all circumstances, but then quantum physics showed this was incorrect

but we're just griping about nomenclature now

Again, this is not simple nomenclature. There is a difference betwee theories and laws. It's not as simple as saying people assumed that Newton's Laws should hold in all circumstances. It was a known fact that Newton's Laws held in all circumstances that could be measured at the given time. Modern physics produced new circumstances that weren't predicted under the grounds of Newtonian physics. In other words, Newton's Laws couldn't have been assumed to apply to quantum conditions because quantum conditions weren't known during the formulation of Newton's Laws. Again Newton's Laws have not changed, the scope under which they apply has just been better defined. As laws they stand as strong as they always have.
    I knew you weren't going to offer any specifics. You're giving an argumentum ad ignorantum. You're uncertain about things, so you jump to the conclusion that a MAGICAL SUPER BEING did it all. It's just silly.

No that's not what I have done. Again, I'm not saying that "I see lightning and I don't know what it is, so I say a man in the clouds is doing it." What I'm saying is that Universe operates like a well oiled machine. In the same way a car is designed to work in the way that it does, to me, the Universe appears to work in just such a manner. As if it was designed to do so. I'm not asserting that it has to be that way. I'm asserting that it is possible and seems very likely to me. I believe what I do, but I don't close my mind to other possibilities and I'm not some religious zealot that closes his mind to anything that clashes with my beliefs. If I was, I definitely wouldn't have gone into physics.

And there are about 70 sextillion stars in the universe with billions of planets orbiting them. Why is it surprising at all that life would form?

you roll that many dice, you're gonna win a few billion rounds.

I already acknowledged. Still, there are a huge amount of variables at play, when you start cutting things down, you'll see that a planet like Earth is pretty rare. Yeah there are sextillions of stars, but some of those variables that you cut away, such as actually having planets orbit in a range that could support life as we know it cuts that number by a high percentage. Then having said planets have an atmosphere that can support life as we know it cuts it by another high percentage. It's not as easy as rolling dice because not every star has an equal chance of supporting a planet that can sustain life. There may be 70 sextillion stars out there but if it's shown that 99% aren't even viable candidates than the size of that number is meaningless. I'm not saying that's the case, just making a point. That said, I don't believe that life is even unique to Earth. I'm just saying that life turning out the way it did is a miracle whether you believe it to be a divine one or a scientific one.

i remember that, they actually didn't really make any "life." but the press always exaggerates the hell out of new research.

1. Atheists. Atheists.

2. Name these people who jumped at this chance.

People on this board and others. Hell, when the findings were presented someone created a topic that was basically titled "Scientists create life, religion is finished."
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    gonna hafta read that later

getting too tired to have a respectful conversation

you seem like a cool cat tho
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    are you sure you're a physics guy?

the universe is a mere 13.7 billion years old

I meant billions for the age. I was typing without proofreading. But lol @ you trying to use a mistaken stat to question whether or not I'm a physics guy. I don't know how much you know about physics, but knowing the exact age of the universe is hardly some kind of number that everyone in physics deals with. My work was in solid state and quantum physics not cosmology. Still, it was a mistake on my part, I'll cop to that.

so you admit it's possible for life to arise naturally

then you say maybe also it was MAGIC

i think that's an unreasonable assertion. it's unreasonable because you already said it was unnecessary, you can't give any specifics at all here, you admit to simply being overwhelmed by the complexity, and you're asserting a completely unfounded and (by definition) illogical conclusion

I accept all possiblities that are not proven wrong. Whether you like it or not, the possiblity of a grand designer has not been proven wrong. And constantly throwing out the word magic is silly. Magic is really just a term given to things that are done that we can't understand. If we took our Technology back 10,000 years, people would call it magic. It's just as likely that there could be some Technology or understanding of the universe that we do not have that allows someone to do something that seems magical to us. That's beside the point though. As I said, this point is moot. I understand what the limit of human knowledge is with respect to the universe. I also have a decent (far from the best) understanding of the universe's complexity. Again, I don't say there must be a ? because there is so much I don't know. I say I believe there is a ? because of the stuff I do know. You can feel free to disagree. That's cool. I don't fault you for that.

then consider how many waves of mass extinction the planet has suffered

if an architect is maintaining the life here, he's doing a ? job

to begin with, his creations maim and slaughter each other just to survive

then a meteor hit and killed some of his best ?

this idea that anybody is watching out for the life on this planet is just plain worthy of ridicule after you honestly look at what goes on here

I never said I believed ? was maintaining life here. I'm a Deist not a Theist. I believe ? or some higher power designed the universe and all the processes and machinations within. I don't believe he micromanages the universe. I believe it functions as it was designed to on its own.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    gonna hafta read that later

getting too tired to have a respectful conversation

you seem like a cool cat tho

lol I feel you. These responses are getting too long. We can agree to disagree on the ? thing. I understand your view point and I believe you understand mine even if you don't respect it. That's about as far as we can go on that.

If you want to continue the debate on theories vs laws, feel free to though because I know you'll have something to say about that.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hey you know what, parallel, in light of your last *peculiar comment* toward me...I think I'll pass on posting those links.

So please, just disregard that offer of mines.

I obviously brought some truths here, that rubbed a few members the wrong way. I won't try to defend that, I can only apologize for offending anyone.

Still, as you likely know from being in online msg. boards
    presenting facts and truths, are an exercise in futility once personal attacks start, so...

Peace, King

You're being a little too sensitive there chief. He was just asking you to provide information to prove your case. Information from the net is fine as long as it won't lead to his computer getting hacked or hit with a virus ie. unphishy links.
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Please my friend, don't let my name cause you to think it puts me above ? 's truth. My login name nor my belief that Jesus returns somewhere around 21 December 2012----is irrelevant to ? 's truths which I speak on here. I am but a mere imperfect man.

Peace

so 12-21-2012 is just about the return of jesus, thats weird cuz if the mayan calender ends 12-21-2012 then that would tie into the idea that december 22 is the lowest point of the sun and in which for the next 3 days the the sun suddenly arose again thus the idea of ? 's sun (? 's son), Jesus was born december 25, umphf....
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2010
    Options

I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make here. You tell him he should read more carefully because you said Jesus went to Hades and not Hell, and then in your own post you acknowledge that in the Bible Hades and Hell are the same thing and the difference is really just a matter of translation style.

And you were being sensitive. You brushed him off in response to him simply asking you to provide links to back up your claims. Even his post before that which you referenced wasn't that bad.
  • judahxulu
    edited June 2010
    Options

Hades and sheoul are two vastly different concepts that do not correspond. Translations are inconsistent by design; not by accident. You can sometimes transliterate words purely, less often translate them but you can never understand the idea and context of those words without knowing the original language. Yall can never reconcile a Hebrew messianic personage with a Greco-Roman imitation. It doesn't mix. The only thing you will have left to do when it is apparent to your rational mind that it doesnt make sense is resort to emotionalism and the "I just believe" card.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hades and Hell, are two very different places. Hades is a waiting place, for the dead, until the 2nd coming...whereas Hell, is where souls will burn, for eternity.

No my friend, you are incorrect again. I wasn't being sensitive, I simply responding to (-) aura, that you seem to had missed, or unfortunately ignored, just to make that false claim at me.

I wasn't even referring that Great member, when he posted this at me:

now if you can find a positive gesture here, then I guess you're right, I'm being sensitive...but if you can't?

well...I think you know the rest

Peace

i understand what u sayin But i think do just wanted info..........i think that was a Genuine question homie
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hades and Hell, are two very different places. Hades is a waiting place, for the dead, until the 2nd coming...whereas Hell, is where souls will burn, for eternity.

Please show proof of this. Hades isn't even a Hebrew term. It's the Greek word for the afterlife. Hell and Hades are used interchangeably in the Bible based on translation scheme. Show me where the Bible distinguishes between Hades and Hell and makes the definitions that you're claiming. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never heard the claims you're making and I want to see what you're basing them on.

No my friend, you are incorrect again. I wasn't being sensitive, I simply responding to (-) aura, that you seem to had missed, or unfortunately ignored, just to make that false claim at me.

I wasn't even referring that Great member, when he posted this at me:

now if you can find a positive gesture here, then I guess you're right, I'm being sensitive...but if you can't?

well...I think you know the rest

Peace

Are you serious? You put that quote as the thing that you think was negative enough for you to not even want to continue the convo and you wonder why I call you sensitive? Real talk and no offense intended, if that's all it takes to deter you from holding a debate on here, you should find another forum other than the IC. If you think that was negative you won't last long here.
  • judahxulu
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Peace judahxulu

I never heard of an "I just believe" card nor heard of Emotionalism, but I'll welcome any correct labels you ever wanna apply to me, my brother. And I also don't know what "Sheoul" means, and it doesn't really matter to me, as long as he's equating it to Hades. I just put it there because I didn't think it would have been fair for me to separate it from the author's placing it with "Hades" there, because I definitely know what Hades is.

And that is where Jesus descended to, after Resurrection, even if not to take any souls back with him...but for sure to preach to them, the way to Eternal Life.

Peace
    Sheoul and hades are not the same. It does matter that they are not the same because Yeshua was Hebrew, not a Greek. Hebrews and geeks do not have similar ideologies, nor do they worship the same. Sheol is not a place of punishment. Also, the doctrine of dying and going to heaven is not biblical or in tune with the Hebrew roots of all bible translations. People in the Bible who were taken to "heaven" were still alive i.e. Enoch. The only way to understand the New Testament in context and separate the wheat from the chaff ideologically is to a.) accept and realize that paul does not fit the regular pattern of biblical patterns b.) Pauls personal agenda had more influence on his writings than YHWH. c.) Pauls writngs preceded and influenced the canonical gospels and not vice versa d.) you cant even understand it halfway without looking at a non-christian translation of the first Aramaic version of the new testament (or learn Aramaic and study it that way).