african american tradition: jumping the broom

Options
elliott_argon
elliott_argon Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
a friend of mine's is getting married and his fiance wants to do the "jump the broom" ritual. we all got into an argument over the legitimacy of the tradition/ritual the other night. does anyone have any insight into this as an african/af am tradition?

...i will probably just google it, but there are some pretty knowledgeable people on here with regards to african culture and history. anecdotes are welcomed.

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Whats wrong with it? All it means is basically sweeping away the old to bring in the new.
  • elliott_argon
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Whats wrong with it? All it means is basically sweeping away the old to bring in the new.

been googling it a little bit...apparently there are varying opinions, some scholars say that jumping the broom originated in africa, others say it started during slavery. the one thing that is agreed is that it was done during slavery because marriage was illegal. so some people think that we should continue the tradition proud because our ancestors couldn't get married, others say that practicing this is as bad as embracing your slave name...
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    been googling it a little bit...apparently there are varying opinions, some scholars say that jumping the broom originated in africa, others say it started during slavery. the one thing that is agreed is that it was done during slavery because marriage was illegal. so some people think that we should continue the tradition proud because our ancestors couldn't get married, others say that practicing this is as bad as embracing your slave name...

I believe it started in Africa, and obviously being slaves were mostly from Africa the tradition was brought with them. I was taught it was used to symbol moving out the old to usher in the new. I never heard anything else involving any special meaning for slaves I'm going to have to go look it up now.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    I'm going to jump the gun when I get married.

Don't trip, and a good piece of advice is if your jumping the gun have a backup wife ready. Or just make sure your original fiance is rich, so the moment after marriage the gun accidentally is tripped over and you become the black Warren Buffett.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Actually youre kinda married anyway as soon as she jumps your broom.
  • elliott_argon
    edited June 2010
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    Actually youre kinda married anyway as soon as she jumps your broom.

ell oh ell