GYM PEOPLE: Ever work out then hit a peak and cant gain anymore?

Options
American Loo VII 3D
American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Weight Room
for the past four weeks i really havent been gaining any new muscle, its like i peaked or some ?

do i need to get new workouts? i was once told the body gets "used" to the same regiment and wont respond anymore.

increase my meals? ? up

Comments

• TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dont forget the shakes
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    switch up your routine.

My old roommate took testosterone supplements and gained 20 more pounds in 5 weeks.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited June 2010
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    switch up your routine.

My cousin took testosterone supplements and gained 20 more pounds in 5 weeks.

whats the name of these supplements

i'm taking my vitamins, in-gym supplements and backdooring every workout with a potato, shake and meat

eating all day and i was gaining good, but the past four weeks i've seen no results.
  • jay83
    edited June 2010
    Options
    whats the name of these supplements

i'm taking my vitamins, in-gym supplements and backdooring every workout with a potato, shake and meat

eating all day and i was gaining good, but the past four weeks i've seen no results.

I forgot the one that gained him all that weight. But I do remember him using one called Animal Stak.

How much you tryna gain? How much you weigh now?
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    oh at 1st I thought you meant weight

I'm stuck at 380 on the bench press and that ? sucks cause all I want is 400.........

but I can't get that ? , and I swear if i keep straining I will tear a muscle

anyways, as far as mass goes, it might have to do with your genetics

a lot of bodybuilders aint really honest about how they get their gains........a lot of it is with assistance
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I forgot the one that gained him all that weight. But I do remember him using one called Animal Stak.

How much you tryna gain? How much you weigh now?

6ft 170 currently

tryna gain 10 lbs by end of august. if you could find out what he took thatd be very helpful
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Change your routine and nut up through that plateau.
  • NastyNasty
    NastyNasty Members Posts: 747 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Try to switch up your workout a bit. When you feel you've hit a plateau, ideally, you want to start a new routine/incorporate some new workouts that will stimulate, or "shock" your muscles in new ways. Your not going to gain forever though. Eventually, there will come a point where it's either be happy with the mass nature will permit you to gain naturally, or start juicing. lol
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • jay83
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Which one are you?

"
    The Ectomorph Body Type

The Ectomorph is a form of opposite of the Endomorph. Physically, they tend to have:

* Narrow shoulders and hips.
    * A thin and narrow face, with a high forehead.
    * A thin and narrow chest and abdomen.
    * Very little body fat.
    * Thin legs and arms.

Training for Ectomorphs:
    Frequency/Periodisation:

* Use split-training, using 1-2 bodyparts each workout to target muscle groups.
    * Train each bodypart once per week.
    * Get plenty of rest between workouts; never train if scheduled bodypart is sore from previous workout.
    * Change training routine at least monthly.
    * Increase training intensity each workout. This may mean more weight, reps, and sets.
    * Make the body work hard but briefly

Sets and Repetitions:

* Use heavy, basic power movements that hit the deep muscle fibres.
    * Avoid isolation or “finishing” movements.
    * Keep reps in the 5 – 10 rep range.
    * Do 6 – 8 sets per bodypart
    * Watch out for overtraining, (it can slow gains)
    * If gains in muscle and strength remain slow, shock your body into growth with such techniques as 10 sets of 10 reps for one exercise per bodypart. Only use this shocking technique once every eight weeks.

Intensity:

* Focus on lifting heavier weights to increase intensity and not by cutting time between sets.
    * Rest at least 60 seconds between sets.
    * Rest at least 5 minutes between bodyparts.
    * Occasionally try forced reps, supersets, tri-sets, and other intensity techniques, but do not rely on them to heavily.

Recuperation:

* Longer recuperation periods mean more rest days.
    * Because of high metabolic rate, get at least 8hrs sleep each night.
    * If possible take a nap during the day.
    * Never train when tired or not completely recovered.

Aerobics:

* Keep aerobic activities to a minimum, no more than three times per week. Too much aerobics will stall progress.
    * Keep cardio conditioning at the lower end of the target heart rate for no more than 20 minutes per session. To compute target heart rate per minute, subtract your age from 220 and multiply by 0.6 and 0.8.
    * Good aerobic exercise choices include stationary bike, brisk walking, and treadmill.

Nutrient Considerations:

* An excellent diet and proper supplementation are crucial.
    * Eat 5-7 small meals (Including weight gain drinks) per day every 2.5 – 3 hrs.
    * Increase daily protein intake to 1 – 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight
    * Protein intake should be 25 – 30% of daily dietary intake; carbohydrates about 50%; fats 20 – 25%.
    * Have a protein shake 90 minutes before bedtime.
    * Increase daily intake of fibrous carbohydrates whilst limiting the intake of simple sugars.
    * Eat slower burning glycemic index foods such as beans, corn, yams, oats, pasta, brown rice, whole grain foods,
    * Supplement with a good multivitamin/mineral.

Lifestyle:

* Keep stress levels low and learn how to relax, using such techniques as visualisation, yoga, and meditation. Stress induced cortisol levels can be detrimental to muscle building.
    * Minimise outside activities that use moderate to large amounts of energy.
    * Think energy conservation in everything you do.
    * Drink at least 2.5 liter’s water every day (80oz)

The Mesomorph Body Type

The mesomorph is somewhere between the round endomorph and the thin ectomorph. Physically, they have the more 'desirable' body, and have:

* Large head, broad shoulders, and narrow waist (wedge-shaped).
    * Muscular body, with strong forearms and thighs
    * Very little body fat
    * Genetically gifted; greatest bodybuilding potential.
    * Long torso, full chest, good shoulder to waist ratio.

Training for the Mesomorph:
    Frequency/Periodisation:

* Responds well to training that involves heavy, basic movements along with shaping exercises.
    * The more varied the exercise program, the greater the results.
    * Alternate 3-4 weeks of high intensity training with several weeks of lower intensity workouts to promote growth and strength and prevent burnout.

Sets and Repetitions:

* Use quick, basic movements with heavy weights before hitting muscles with isolation and shaping exercises.
    * Keep reps in the 8-12 rep range. For most bodyparts.
    * Use a rep combination as low as six and as high as 25 for quads, hamstrings, and calves.
    * Because of natural genetic advantage, watch out for overtraining under the mistaken notion that more training will make growth faster.

Intensity:

* Constantly keep the body off guard by varying the training intensity with exercises, sets, reps, weights, and rest.
    * Be sure to regularly include light, moderate, and heavy training days.
    * Use a combination of slow moderately paced (with full range of motion) and fast reps.
    * Regularly alternate intensity techniques into the workouts: partial reps, forced reps, forced reps, descending sets, compound sets, and pre-exhaustion.

Recuperation:

* Without proper rest, the natural advantage you enjoy will never be fully exploited.
    * Get 7.5 – 9hrs of sleep every night.
    * Never train a body part that has not fully recovered.
    * Take an extra day of rest away from the gym if your motivation, energy, or strength level is lacking.

Aerobics:

* To maximise muscle gains, do no more than three cardio workouts per week for 20-30 minutes (5 minute warm up, 15-20 minutes in your target heart range, five minute cool down.
    * Keep the heart working in the middle of the target heart range?
    * Recommended activities: stair climber, treadmill, brisk walking, or stationary bike.
    * Limit running to no more than two miles three times a week, even with no other aerobic activities.
    * Some mesomorph’s reply on wind sprints to condition and build the legs while aerobically conditioning the heart.

Nutrient Considerations:

* Keep protein intake to at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.
    * Keep the carbohydrate intake moderately high, about 60% of total calories; choose vegetables, brown rice, low fat beans, lentils and pasta and whole grains.
    * Limit fats; stay lean with a diet containing 15-20% total fats.
    * Eat a variety of lean proteins such as skinless chicken, turkey, egg whites, lean beef, and fish.

Lifestyle:

* Don’t try to do too much to fast; that would make you susceptible to injuries, over training or burnout.
    * Slow down and listen to your body. Gains will continue year after year if you’re patient and follow guidelines given.
    * Be patient but persistent.
    * Drink at least 2.5 litres (80 ounces) of water daily. "
  • Moment.of.Silence
    Moment.of.Silence Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    what your stating is physically impossible..
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Ectomorph?? Isn't that some Slimer from Ghostbusters ? ?
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Which one are you?

"
    The Ectomorph Body Type

The Ectomorph is a form of opposite of the Endomorph. Physically, they tend to have:

* Narrow shoulders and hips.
    * A thin and narrow face, with a high forehead.
    * A thin and narrow chest and abdomen.
    * Very little body fat.
    * Thin legs and arms.

Training for Ectomorphs:
    Frequency/Periodisation:

* Use split-training, using 1-2 bodyparts each workout to target muscle groups.
    * Train each bodypart once per week.
    * Get plenty of rest between workouts; never train if scheduled bodypart is sore from previous workout.
    * Change training routine at least monthly.
    * Increase training intensity each workout. This may mean more weight, reps, and sets.
    * Make the body work hard but briefly

Sets and Repetitions:

* Use heavy, basic power movements that hit the deep muscle fibres.
    * Avoid isolation or “finishing” movements.
    * Keep reps in the 5 – 10 rep range.
    * Do 6 – 8 sets per bodypart
    * Watch out for overtraining, (it can slow gains)
    * If gains in muscle and strength remain slow, shock your body into growth with such techniques as 10 sets of 10 reps for one exercise per bodypart. Only use this shocking technique once every eight weeks.

Intensity:

* Focus on lifting heavier weights to increase intensity and not by cutting time between sets.
    * Rest at least 60 seconds between sets.
    * Rest at least 5 minutes between bodyparts.
    * Occasionally try forced reps, supersets, tri-sets, and other intensity techniques, but do not rely on them to heavily.

Recuperation:

* Longer recuperation periods mean more rest days.
    * Because of high metabolic rate, get at least 8hrs sleep each night.
    * If possible take a nap during the day.
    * Never train when tired or not completely recovered.

Aerobics:

* Keep aerobic activities to a minimum, no more than three times per week. Too much aerobics will stall progress.
    * Keep cardio conditioning at the lower end of the target heart rate for no more than 20 minutes per session. To compute target heart rate per minute, subtract your age from 220 and multiply by 0.6 and 0.8.
    * Good aerobic exercise choices include stationary bike, brisk walking, and treadmill.

Nutrient Considerations:

* An excellent diet and proper supplementation are crucial.
    * Eat 5-7 small meals (Including weight gain drinks) per day every 2.5 – 3 hrs.
    * Increase daily protein intake to 1 – 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight
    * Protein intake should be 25 – 30% of daily dietary intake; carbohydrates about 50%; fats 20 – 25%.
    * Have a protein shake 90 minutes before bedtime.
    * Increase daily intake of fibrous carbohydrates whilst limiting the intake of simple sugars.
    * Eat slower burning glycemic index foods such as beans, corn, yams, oats, pasta, brown rice, whole grain foods,
    * Supplement with a good multivitamin/mineral.

Lifestyle:

* Keep stress levels low and learn how to relax, using such techniques as visualisation, yoga, and meditation. Stress induced cortisol levels can be detrimental to muscle building.
    * Minimise outside activities that use moderate to large amounts of energy.
    * Think energy conservation in everything you do.
    * Drink at least 2.5 liter’s water every day (80oz)

The Mesomorph Body Type

The mesomorph is somewhere between the round endomorph and the thin ectomorph. Physically, they have the more 'desirable' body, and have:

* Large head, broad shoulders, and narrow waist (wedge-shaped).
    * Muscular body, with strong forearms and thighs
    * Very little body fat
    * Genetically gifted; greatest bodybuilding potential.
    * Long torso, full chest, good shoulder to waist ratio.

Training for the Mesomorph:
    Frequency/Periodisation:

* Responds well to training that involves heavy, basic movements along with shaping exercises.
    * The more varied the exercise program, the greater the results.
    * Alternate 3-4 weeks of high intensity training with several weeks of lower intensity workouts to promote growth and strength and prevent burnout.

Sets and Repetitions:

* Use quick, basic movements with heavy weights before hitting muscles with isolation and shaping exercises.
    * Keep reps in the 8-12 rep range. For most bodyparts.
    * Use a rep combination as low as six and as high as 25 for quads, hamstrings, and calves.
    * Because of natural genetic advantage, watch out for overtraining under the mistaken notion that more training will make growth faster.

Intensity:

* Constantly keep the body off guard by varying the training intensity with exercises, sets, reps, weights, and rest.
    * Be sure to regularly include light, moderate, and heavy training days.
    * Use a combination of slow moderately paced (with full range of motion) and fast reps.
    * Regularly alternate intensity techniques into the workouts: partial reps, forced reps, forced reps, descending sets, compound sets, and pre-exhaustion.

Recuperation:

* Without proper rest, the natural advantage you enjoy will never be fully exploited.
    * Get 7.5 – 9hrs of sleep every night.
    * Never train a body part that has not fully recovered.
    * Take an extra day of rest away from the gym if your motivation, energy, or strength level is lacking.

Aerobics:

* To maximise muscle gains, do no more than three cardio workouts per week for 20-30 minutes (5 minute warm up, 15-20 minutes in your target heart range, five minute cool down.
    * Keep the heart working in the middle of the target heart range?
    * Recommended activities: stair climber, treadmill, brisk walking, or stationary bike.
    * Limit running to no more than two miles three times a week, even with no other aerobic activities.
    * Some mesomorph’s reply on wind sprints to condition and build the legs while aerobically conditioning the heart.

Nutrient Considerations:

* Keep protein intake to at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.
    * Keep the carbohydrate intake moderately high, about 60% of total calories; choose vegetables, brown rice, low fat beans, lentils and pasta and whole grains.
    * Limit fats; stay lean with a diet containing 15-20% total fats.
    * Eat a variety of lean proteins such as skinless chicken, turkey, egg whites, lean beef, and fish.

Lifestyle:

* Don’t try to do too much to fast; that would make you susceptible to injuries, over training or burnout.
    * Slow down and listen to your body. Gains will continue year after year if you’re patient and follow guidelines given.
    * Be patient but persistent.
    * Drink at least 2.5 litres (80 ounces) of water daily. "

My fraternity brother is double majoring in human physiology and Athletic training...he said the whole ecto meso thing was ? .
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • jay83
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My fraternity brother is double majoring in human physiology and Athletic training...he said the whole ecto meso thing was ? .

Well. Apparently nobody is one true body type. But a combination. From what I understand, everybody has a type that the majority of their body relates to.

But it wouldnt be the first time that ? got passed down from the early years.
  • Tree Fiddy
    Tree Fiddy Members Posts: 1,294
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This thread woulda did numbers if if you took out the words after "Ever work out"
  • knivez
    knivez Members Posts: 57
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You need to up your cal intake. switching your routine should help also. I'd also suggest using animal pak as a supplement. You have to down a ? load of pills but it works...

Also you need to take in more protein. if you're 170, then try to consume that much in protein at least.
  • Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You gotta mix it up, you can't always lift heavy, the reason why you can't gain mass is because your not trying to get cut. If your body doesn't grow and your lifting just heavy weights maybe you need to get accustomed to a good weight and do more repetitions to get the proper cuts. The best way to work out is to lift heavy in the winter and lift mid-range in the summer because the weather has alot to do with your growing process.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    Dick_Knubbler Members Posts: 86
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Naw for the most part I dont hit a wall actually cuz I do what I can try to go up atleast 5 lbs in aesthetic excersices that work bi's, tri's and traps...now for my BIG THREE???? I do percentages they blast you through them and create strength.