If the government can try a 15 yr old as an adult in court, why cant I

Options

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    Options
    To leave the discretion of such an act in the hands of 1 judge is nonsensical.

So you feel the punishment should fit the age group? No matter what it is?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    Yes even with those definitions they are still "underage" and thats why there are laws against kids (0-17) smoking, drinking etc.
    That is merely because according to someone's opinion it's "wrong" for people under 17 to smoke or drink. In some regions in Europe, 16 year olds can drink legally. Does this mean the 16 year olds in neighboring regions are unable to process alcohol in the same manner? No.
  • 5th Letter
    edited January 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    The legal definition of child is non-objective, as it varies from state to state, country to country. In some regions, adult sex with 13 year olds is allowed. Does this means those 13 year olds develop at an exceptionally faster rate than 13 year olds in neighboring regions? No.

Just because the law says its okay to have sex with a 13 year old it doesn't mean that they still aren't children.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    Options
    when you really think bout it...Ike got a point
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    Carlos Bruise-Her Banned Users Posts: 925
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So you feel the punishment should fit the age group? No matter what it is?
    I am for impartiality across the board actually. That means, if they can charge a 15 yr old as an adult, i should be allowed to ? 15 yr ? across the nation. If I cant do that, then they shouldnt be allowed to charge them as adults
  • 5th Letter
    edited January 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    That is merely because according to someone's opinion it's "wrong" for people under 17 to smoke or drink. In some regions in Europe, 16 year olds can drink legally. Does this mean the 16 year olds in neighboring regions are unable to process alcohol in the same manner? No.

No because there needs to be some control. If everyone can do everything at an early age ? would be much worse.
  • 5th Letter
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I am for impartiality across the board actually. That means, if they can charge a 15 yr old as an adult, i should be allowed to ? 15 yr ? across the nation. If I cant do that, then they shouldnt be allowed to charge them as adults

No because that 15 year old is not commiting a crime.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    No because there needs to be some control. If everyone can do everything at an early age ? would be much worse.

If kids want to drink/smoke/? at 12 or 13, they will do it, regardless of what some law says
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Just because the law says its okay to have sex with a 13 year old it doesn't mean that they still aren't children.
    Exactly, using that same logic: "Just because the law says it's not okay to have sex with a 16 year old, it doesn't mean that they still aren't adults".
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Statistically speaking, in countries where the alcohol is consumable at an earlier age, there is less alcohol addiction
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    edited January 2010
    Options
    No because that 15 year old is not commiting a crime.
    What difference does it make? In one hand, you say 15 is not old enough to do an "adult" act, and in the other you're saying a 15 yr old committed an "adult" act. Contradictory
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    unfortunately we live here in the US, and havin sex with a 13 yr old would get u locked up.... i can't believe ppl are in these forum even debating this... a 13yr old???? really???? ya'lll ? is disgusting
    So what you're saying is, "Despite what the law may say in those regions, the fact that a 13 year old generally hasn't sexually-matured yet is unchanged."?
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    edited January 2010
    Options
    What do you think should be the legal age?
    I think it should be based on whether or not the woman has reached puberty. It would be more logical
  • rapstar39
    rapstar39 Members Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    Options
    to many ? 's in the ic
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Then can you prove that things are truly "much worse" in the regions where 16 year olds are allowed to drink?
  • Tom Brokaw
    Tom Brokaw Members Posts: 79
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I myself think the legal age should be raised in some states.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ChrisHansen.jpg
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    edited January 2010
    Options
    How would that be done since every child reaches that point at different stages?
    Case by case basis
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    wuuut exactly are u asking??? if a 13 yr old is sexually mature???
    No, I'm asking if you believe that, "Although the law in those regions allows sex with 13 year olds, that does not mean that they are ready to have sex".
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ped·o·phile n. An adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children.

child 1. a. A person between birth and puberty.icon14.gif
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    Options
    unfortunately we live here in the US, and havin sex with a 13 yr old would get u locked up.... i can't believe ppl are in these forum even debating this... a 13yr old???? really???? ya'lll ? is disgusting

i think the point that's tryna be said is that right/wrong is all subjective to the whims of whoever is in enough control to create the laws...it was normal at one time for 13 yr old girls to be married off to 30 year old men...? even in the Bible Joseph in an adult and Mary is like 14...
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Me me me.
    I do my taxes and only smoke ? in my home, see, told you.
    possession of marijuana is illegal in most cases
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yes but if Im smoking it in my house you can't just storm up in my crib and do anything about it (unless you had reason for a warrant and obtained it)
    doesnt change the fact that it is a crime
  • knockoutking
    knockoutking Members Posts: 72
    edited January 2010
    Options
    come on now ? , 15 is too young. I understand there are some fly young uns out there and Ive been tempted before too but cant yall show some restraint until they atleast 17-18?

I got a question for the ladies. Have yall ever found teens in and around the age of 16-18 attractive? It seems its only the dudes who are on this ? with the teenie boppers.
  • Carlos Bruise-Her
    edited January 2010
    Options
    come on now ? , 15 is too young. I understand there are some fly young uns out there and Ive been tempted before too but cant yall show some restraint until they atleast 17-18?

I got a question for the ladies. Have yall ever found teens in and around the age of 16-18 attractive? It seems its only the dudes who are on this ? with the teenie boppers.
    You must not have read the title and first post of the thread