Estimated 5,000 at Lenox Mall hoping to get Apple's latest phone...

freshfromatl
freshfromatl Members Posts: 559
edited June 2010 in IllTek
Thousands line up to get new iPhone

http://www.ajc.com/business/thousands-line-up-to-556340.html

Huge crowds lined up at local Apple Stores early Thursday as the new iPhone 4 went on sale.

L. Parker, an Atlanta police officer, estimated the crowd at Lenox Mall at 5,000. The line snaked throughout both sides of the atrium on the upper level of the mall from one end to the other.

At Perimeter Mall, a crowd estimated by a security officer at 1,000 to 1,500 waited in two lines: customers who had pre-ordered and those who were waiting to order.

Eric Talley of Dunwoody, at the front of the line just before 8 a.m., said he arrived at 8 p.m. Wednesday to get his order in.

Talley said security kept the crowds away from the mall doors until 5 a.m., at which point hundreds of people rushed to get to the doors -- which would not open until 6 a.m.

"I wanted to be the first one with it," Talley said. "You don't want to have to wait."

Nebraska McCollum of Buckhead, who was well back in the line, said he'd been waiting about four hours.

"I got the original [iPhone], and I'm so tired of it," said McCollum, who was buying a new phone for himself and his wife.

"I'm kind of an IT junkie," he said. "As long as I get out before noon I'm OK."

Apple Store employees were handing out free coffee, water and drinks to those in line.

The new phone is only on sale at Apple Stores. There are four Apple Stores in the Atlanta area: Lenox, Perimeter Mall, Northpoint Mall and Mall of Georgia.

So who coppin theirs???

Comments