"Closed" Xbox Live blocked FFXIV

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in IllGaming
Final Fantasy XIV Online creator and director Hiromichi Tanaka has told Eurogamer that a "closed" Xbox Live blocked the game from appearing on Xbox 360.

"The main reason why we couldn't go with Xbox 360 was the Xbox Live system," he explained at E3. "[Live is] different to the normal internet environment, so when we wanted to introduce this game in the same environment as Windows PC it had to be PS3, so that was our choice.

"Microsoft has a different point of view: they want to have a closed environment for Xbox Live. We're still talking to... We couldn't come to an agreement on Xbox Live."

Square Enix number-one Yoichi Wada told GamesIndustry.biz a similar story; he said what he'd like to see "first and foremost" was a network structure that allowed third parties to "freely design different business schemes".

Final Fantasy XIV won't be the first MMO snagged by the closed nature of a console's online service . Cryptic chucked in the towel on an Xbox 360 version of Champions Online earlier this year. Producer Craig Zinkievich told Eurogamer he was frustrated with the business side of getting an MMO on Xbox Live; the game itself, he said, ran just fine.

Ironically, Final Fantasy XI remains one of the only MMOs to be offered on Xbox 360.

Final Fantasy XIV Online is in development for PC and PS3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/closed-xbox-live-blocked-ffxiv

Comments

• One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    360 takes another L
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This might be the same reason DC Universe is cross PC/PS3
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? sucks would have been nice to get Huxley before they ? it up. Only thing is MMO's require so much time I use to play Planetside on my PC ? made me quit consoles for a few years.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

You know why this is funny? 360 loses out of FFXIV, while PS3 wins out on Portal 2.............. all because of XBL. The service you support and PAY for is blocking you from getting games. LOL@you 360 fans.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sounds like another lost for 360, the system anit built for RPGs and MMO players anyway.
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited June 2010
    Options
    nobody cares about no damn final fantasy.. white boy games for white boy systems.. simple.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    nobody cares about no damn final fantasy.. white boy games for white boy systems..

Microsoft is made in america. that would make the 360 the white boy system.

? youre stupid.
    simple.

you sure as hell are.
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

? youre stupid.

you sure as hell are.

LMMFAO!

Damn! This guy cannot catch a break, anything he says just ends up flipping on him.
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Wait!! Did vageneral create an alias?
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited June 2010
    Options

? youre stupid.

you sure as hell are.

? please.. aint no one talking bout where it was built at..
    ? stay on the xbox.. ps3 ? is for them weak gamers..
    simple as that..

final fantasy is for them lil panzies.. = ps3/pc
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? please.. aint no one talking bout where it was built at..
    ? stay on the xbox.. ps3 ? is for them weak gamers..
    simple as that..

final fantasy is for them lil panzies.. = ps3/pc
    nobody cares about no damn final fantasy.. white boy games for white boy systems..

You said "white boy games for white boy systems" THINKING that the PS3 = a white boy system. Microsoft makes 'em, you know, the white boy Bill Gates?? Who under him have a bunch of other WHITE BOYS working for him? That in return sell this "white boy system" to their white boy halo freaks?

1st it's FF is for white boys, now it's for lil panzies? Changing ? up now lol
  • tyger hood
    tyger hood Members Posts: 66
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So by "freely design different business schemes" are they saying pay a monthly subscription and additional cost for additional features? I would assume most gamers wouldn't mind paying for DLC; but a monthly cost on top of a yearly/monthly service seems like a double "financial" dip. I don't believe I've seen a game on Live that has a monthly cost. Sounds like that would be an issue for both parties involved if this was the case. I don't see a lost for 360 users.
  • lurkinassnigga
    lurkinassnigga Members Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    anybody care to elaborate on the "closed environment" scenario, in nonfanboyanese?? :unno

It sounds like Microsoft only wants 360 users playing with other 360 users while on XBL. I believe 360 users can already play FFXI though, which would mean they're already playing with PC and PS2 users (the game was made before both PS3 and 360 came out, but a 360 version was released later.) I guess MS just doesn't want that happening anymore.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Wait!! Did vageneral create an alias?

you trying too much now
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you trying too much now

my brethren.....what's good? lol
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    my brethren.....what's good? lol

what up ? ? just beat msg4 today some parts in that game is a pain in the ass