edited August 2012 in Strictly Business
since it seems like ? deleted the good one we had....smh. wtf yo :mad:

Comments

• longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's a damn conspiracy man.

King who were you gonna go with for your rack rental? I was gonna buy my own, but to get an exact lab, I'd end up dropping damn near 10 stacks on equipment.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    What the heck is going on??!! A lot of threads in the IllPix, some threads in the R&B place done got deleted too.... Wassup??!

This site getting hacked again or just under construction??
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    mrrealone wrote: »
    What the heck is going on??!! A lot of threads in the IllPix, some threads in the R&B place done got deleted too.... Wassup??!

This site getting hacked again or just under construction??

? stay getting hacked. at least once every 6 months
  • longmeat
    edited January 2012
    Options
    yeah man i had posted this yesterday in the other IT thread. im going through IPexpert. i dropped a G on their security blended learning solution (it was on sale in december) got some videos on demand, and some workbooks and 160 hours of racktime = 20 8 hour sessions. its through proctorlabs.com

if you want to go straight to them you can too, i think its $25 a session (8 hours)

Thanks, I downloaded the videos off torrent a few days back and I found a torrent to their lab manual

I'm def gonna do some rack time. GNS3 ain't gonna cut it man. When you buy a session, is it 8 hours straight or can I do 4hrs, log off then do 4 more on another day?
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ? stay getting hacked. at least once every 6 months

Probably not even that long..... Just tryna figure out, what's the purpose of deleting threads like this though??

Site may shut down again also.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    realest site ever. giveawayoftheday .com

I missed the best giveaway but I am on it now.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    yeah i bookmarked the one i made for reference cuz it had some real info. like 20 somethin pages deep. how you delete that?

Anyway I've been on a mean hunt for a help desk position. I may hear some good news today, praying on it. If it happens boyyyyyy, im bouta be GRIMIN this year. I know ppl consider help desk a ? job, but all I see is opportunity
  • King Erauno
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Perfect wrote: »
    yeah i bookmarked the one i made for reference cuz it had some real info. like 20 somethin pages deep. how you delete that?

Anyway I've been on a mean hunt for a help desk position. I may hear some good news today, praying on it. If it happens boyyyyyy, im bouta be GRIMIN this year. I know ppl consider help desk a ? job, but all I see is opportunity

gotta start somewhere bruh. good luck. remember to learn everything that you can and get ahead of the pack. sometimes u really gotta grind and sacrifice to get where you want to be
  • SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I asked the Admin to put back the IT forum.
  • isiahil
    isiahil Members Posts: 22
    edited January 2012
    Options
    longmeat and anybody else that does IT security. What is yall current salary (or range if you dont want to say). These IT surveys are complete BS. I wanted to know what a real IT information security (or similar position) makes and how many years and certs you have.
  • longmeat
    edited January 2012
    Options
    unless you got major guap, its damn near impossible to do it without racktime. they got an acs and ips in the labs and those cost a grip so its definitely worth the price. i'm not sure if you can break it up. you schedule it in 8 hour slots. a ? gonna have to adjust his sleep pattern for this ? ..

12 am -7:45am
    8am - 3:45pm
    4pm - 11:45pm

those are the slot times ive seen so far. might need to get nice with the hardware individually prior to scheduling racktime, ive seen a lab claim that it may take 10-15 hours the first few times, you would just have to get your speed up.

Aight thanks fam. I'll just smash the 4PM-12 slots. I'm always up mad late anyway. GNS3 and VMWare just ain't working for me man. I can't get the virtual networks to play nice so I'm gonna have to definitely go the virtual lab route. I'll just put money aside every moth for lab time. All I know is as soon as I get that written out the way it's a wrap.
    isiahil wrote: »
    longmeat and anybody else that does IT security. What is yall current salary (or range if you dont want to say). These IT surveys are complete BS. I wanted to know what a real IT information security (or similar position) makes and how many years and certs you have.

Security salaries can range widely depending on your certs, market, and where in security you want to do be in. I've come across positions as low as 60k and seen positions all the way up to 200k. CISSP is pretty much a must, every security position wants you to have it. I interviewed for 2 positions today. One paying 95k, and the other paying 150k.

The 95k one is Cisco VPN/Firewall and Checkpoint VPN/Firewall
    The 150k one is LDAP, some scripting/coding, and application/server security

Security has multiple facets.

Network security - vpn's, firewalls, routers, switches, wlan, ids/ips
    Information security - identity and access management, cryptography, dlp, device encryption
    ? testing - network, web application, servers
    Forensics
    Risk management

If you're willing to travel, you can make mad paper. But you better bet at the top of your game. At that level you have to be the SME at whatever organization hires you. When ? goes wrong, you the ? that gotta fix it.
  • longmeat
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Looks like I got the 150k job :cool:

Still gotta make sure everything is kosher before I accept, but if it works out, I'll be mad happy :)
  • a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    damn congrats bro, I'm still out grinding on these lil work market jobs tryna get my experience up. ? is goin by slower than i want but its moving at least
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Dammit all that good information is gone?!!
  • King Erauno
    edited January 2012
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »

Still gotta make sure everything is kosher before I accept, but if it works out, I'll be mad happy :)

damn. congrats hommie. hard work pays off. ? done got me motivated out chea
  • isiahil
    isiahil Members Posts: 22
    edited January 2012
    Options

How many years of experience do you have?
  • SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

Congrats bro.................
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    What is your take on government jobs like FAA, DOD, etc.

I've talked to all my IT friends and they're like trying to go full federal, I'm contractor now and I just feel going federal would mean be there forever.

Idda know, I just feel funny doing it!
  • valdez21
    valdez21 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I feel like a part of me died when they got rid of the old thread...Had a phone interview that didnt go too well, waiting to hear back -___- .... Congrats long!
  • longmeat
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the congrats ? , and please believe I'm still working on my CCIE. I seen a silver lambo and a drop maseratti yesterday at some restaurant. That ? got me stupid motivated to get my money right.
    isiahil wrote: »
    How many years of experience do you have?

This year will be 9.

valdez21 wrote: »
    I feel like a part of me died when they got rid of the old thread...Had a phone interview that didnt go too well, waiting to hear back -___- .... Congrats long!

Man that ? always happens. This is like the 5th time they deleted the IT thread. ? got hate in their blood.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Aight thanks fam. I'll just smash the 4PM-12 slots. I'm always up mad late anyway. GNS3 and VMWare just ain't working for me man. I can't get the virtual networks to play nice so I'm gonna have to definitely go the virtual lab route. I'll just put money aside every moth for lab time. All I know is as soon as I get that written out the way it's a wrap.

Security salaries can range widely depending on your certs, market, and where in security you want to do be in. I've come across positions as low as 60k and seen positions all the way up to 200k. CISSP is pretty much a must, every security position wants you to have it. I interviewed for 2 positions today. One paying 95k, and the other paying 150k.

The 95k one is Cisco VPN/Firewall and Checkpoint VPN/Firewall
    The 150k one is LDAP, some scripting/coding, and application/server security

Security has multiple facets.

Network security - vpn's, firewalls, routers, switches, wlan, ids/ips
    Information security - identity and access management, cryptography, dlp, device encryption
    ? testing - network, web application, servers
    Forensics
    Risk management

If you're willing to travel, you can make mad paper. But you better bet at the top of your game. At that level you have to be the SME at whatever organization hires you. When ? goes wrong, you the ? that gotta fix it.

I hope u got it....yall dropping some good ? ....I hope the other one comes back though I used to lurk in that one...anyway Im working on my computer science degree and i hope to get certified b/c I dont have much experience in the field so I think the certification will help....I should be done by the end of this year if anyone has certifications or website information or advice Id appreciate it.
  • Copper
    edited January 2012
    Options
    or better yet how does one get started in the IT security field with the certifications (b/c I keep seeing how experience is needed)
  • Copper
    edited January 2012
    Options
  • longmeat
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I hope u got it....yall dropping some good ? ....I hope the other one comes back though I used to lurk in that one...anyway Im working on my computer science degree and i hope to get certified b/c I dont have much experience in the field so I think the certification will help....I should be done by the end of this year if anyone has certifications or website information or advice Id appreciate it.

Getting your first job is the hardest part. Once you get your foot in somewhere, then you just have to plan your career. Figure out which direction you want to go (programmer, database, networking, etc) then just specialize down that path. What I'd recommend is going on Dice.com, looking up what job title you ultimately want (for me it was sr. network engineer back when I started), and look at what skills, education, and certifications that job requires. Then start learning about all of that ? at home.
    or better yet how does one get started in the IT security field with the certifications (b/c I keep seeing how experience is needed)

I don't know anyone who jumped straight into security. Usually it's start in help desk, move on to networking, finish off in security. That's the route I took anyway. Networking and security go hand in hand, so you'll get some security experience anyway.
  • Copper
    edited January 2012
    Options
    thanks..................