Comments

• TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    TANGLUNG wrote: »
    Thereal_ba wrote: »

Did you ever get your ccna?

I did. I'm now studying for the Security+ just in case as I think it's a DOD requirement.

Ccna security also is dod approved

In that case I will go that route instead. Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to get all the help I can.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just picked up
    3 Cisco 2811 Routers
    All routers have: 2x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2
    (512D/128F
    C2800NM-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M4

And

3 Cisco WS-C3560-48TS - 48 ports Layer 3 switch - C3560-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.0(2)SE2

From where ?ebay?

Locally. And finally getting moved to the Noc transport team permanently with a nice little pay increase. Only thing though is they dont deal with Cisco to much and more of Alcatel and Nokia routers

Locally meaning Craigslist? And yeah my work I'm doing the juniper srx firewalls lol

Yeah, Craigslist.

I'm worried about doing that cause I heard people be selling the hardware and it won't have the ios on it.

Or it will be the old ios that's no good for the new exams

A lot of the older hardware doesn't have the memory capacity to support the IOS/NXOS versions needed for those exams.

Do your due diligence in advance.

1. Check versions covered in exams.
    2. Check amount of memory required by hardware to support version.
    3. Check if hardware sold comes with enough memory.
    4. If #3 = no, then check if hardware sold supports enough memory.

• leftcoastkev
    Options
    Just picked up
    3 Cisco 2811 Routers
    (512D/128F

And

3 Cisco WS-C3560-48TS - 48 ports Layer 3 switch - C3560-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.0(2)SE2

From where ?ebay?

Locally. And finally getting moved to the Noc transport team permanently with a nice little pay increase. Only thing though is they dont deal with Cisco to much and more of Alcatel and Nokia routers

Locally meaning Craigslist? And yeah my work I'm doing the juniper srx firewalls lol

That can take you far.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Right now I'm on full deck job search mode! I need to contact creative professionals (web developers, UX designers, etc) that are in the field now for an informational interview. Would greatly appreciate your help, please direct message me! Thank you very much in advance.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just picked up
    3 Cisco 2811 Routers
    (512D/128F

And

From where ?ebay?

That can take you far.

im gonna take the JNCIA probably next weekend lord willing , but yea its great experience Im gonna learn F5 Load balancers pretty soon too at work
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very mad that I didnt get the ICND2 in time. Now I have to wait.
    For the mean time I will be on Udemy and Edx doing Microsoft server, CEH and security+.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    You tripping ? I would've ? that icnd2 done

I heard that ceh cert ain't worth ? and it's $700 plus you need an employer to sign off on you having to 3 years of experience
  • leftcoastkev
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just picked up
    3 Cisco 2811 Routers
    (512D/128F

And

From where ?ebay?

That can take you far.

im gonna take the JNCIA probably next weekend lord willing , but yea its great experience Im gonna learn F5 Load balancers pretty soon too at work

Good luck. I like SRX, their interface, and mgmt platform.

F5 is pretty cool. Them and Citrix are pretty much where it's at on the enterprise side. They made Cisco give up trying to fight the L4-7 load balancer battle (except for ITD on the Nexus which they're pushing heavy (L3-4 SLB only)). Once you have the firewall experience the SLB concepts come easy (LBs have state tables just like FWs but LBs have state tables + redirects to the real servers).....it's a natural progression...just add on to what u already know...

SRX zones (or whatever partitioning method e.g., Cisco ASA contexts), separating the app servers from the database servers......and putting the app servers behind the load balancers in each zone is how most companies I've dealt with do it.

Learn all u can from where ever you are.

• caddo man
    Options
    You tripping ? I would've ? that icnd2 done

I heard that ceh cert ain't worth ? and it's $700 plus you need an employer to sign off on you having to 3 years of experience

? . Yeah I BS the hell out of that ICND2. I got the CCENT and got lazy. Now I have a bunch of study material that is two years old. I have been collecting from other IT guys and using those apps for practice testing.

My goal is to have a complete understanding of small to campus size networks including servers (linux and microsoft) with a security certs to go with my degree. Since I BS for a year I am behind on my goal. So I am re-applying myself to get at least the Microsoft server courses on Edx and the security courses on Udemy done. I am giving myself until December on the server courses and March for the security courses.

My kids take up all of my after work time. I cant study until they are sleep. Saturdays are for their soccer games and Sunday is church. So I really have to find time.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    those F5 load balancers and citrix netscalers are high in demand right now. get some experience with them + the firewalls and you can get a gig easy
  • leftcoastkev
    Options
    those F5 load balancers and citrix netscalers are high in demand right now. get some experience with them + the firewalls and you can get a gig easy

Or go the consulting route if that suites you ;)
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Just picked up
    3 Cisco 2811 Routers
    (512D/128F

And

From where ?ebay?

That can take you far.

F5 is pretty cool. Them and Citrix are pretty much where it's at on the enterprise side. They made Cisco give up trying to fight the L4-7 load balancer battle (except for ITD on the Nexus which they're pushing heavy (L3-4 SLB only)). Once you have the firewall experience the SLB concepts come easy (LBs have state tables just like FWs but LBs have state tables + redirects to the real servers).....it's a natural progression...just add on to what u already know...

SRX zones (or whatever partitioning method e.g., Cisco ASA contexts), separating the app servers from the database servers......and putting the app servers behind the load balancers in each zone is how most companies I've dealt with do it.

Yea the srx's are what im doing right now to start just writing policies/ACLs to allow traffic because of the implicit default deny

It's good experience but it feels like it's all so much to learn like it will take me forever to get good at everything
  • leftcoastkev
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just picked up
    3 Cisco 2811 Routers
    (512D/128F

And

From where ?ebay?

That can take you far.

Yea the srx's are what im doing right now to start just writing policies/ACLs to allow traffic because of the implicit default deny

It's good experience but it feels like it's all so much to learn like it will take me forever to get good at everything

It comes in time. Nobody knows everything...and any body who tries to act like they do are b-s-ing you.

As far as policy writing, unless you're in a small company, the systems engineers or application developers can usually help you out... as far as mapping the applications to the specific protocol/port numbers (tcp/1234), etc. Other wise you have to learn how the apps communicate to allow them through the firewalls. Use a sniffer/wireshark if you have to (with your company's approval).
    .....or just allow any/any and get fired, lol j/k on that.

Studying for the cert while you're learning the platform like you're doing is a good thing.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Anyone got the N10-006 test dump.
  • Bcotton5
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just picked up
    3 Cisco 2811 Routers
    (512D/128F

And

From where ?ebay?

That can take you far.

It comes in time. Nobody knows everything...and any body who tries to act like they do are b-s-ing you.

As far as policy writing, unless you're in a small company, the systems engineers or application developers can usually help you out... as far as mapping the applications to the specific protocol/port numbers (tcp/1234), etc. Other wise you have to learn how the apps communicate to allow them through the firewalls. Use a sniffer/wireshark if you have to (with your company's approval).
    .....or just allow any/any and get fired, lol j/k on that.

Studying for the cert while you're learning the platform like you're doing is a good thing.

Yea it's the infrastructure that's so confusing, ? is behind multiple firewalls so it can be really confusing allowing ?
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    yshdfxmprb3v.jpg

Passed the JNCIA today, bodied it on my first try
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    CCNP switch up next, I low key hope I don't get that CCNA cyber ops scholarship because it will derail my CCNP switch another 3 months
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Also on the lookout for a couple of 3750 or whatever layer 3 switches , the model doesn't matter

If you guys see any good deals on ebay or whatever let me know.

People at my job saying they found 3750 switches for $40 online
  • caddo man
    Options
    Might have gotten the hook up on a IT job or at the least some mentorship by going to a networking class. I am hype.
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CCNP switch up next, I low key hope I don't get that CCNA cyber ops scholarship because it will derail my CCNP switch another 3 months

Good luck. I like SWITCH more than ROUTE, but TSHOOT was the best exam I ever took. DESIGN was the easiest
  • Bcotton5
    Options

Good luck. I like SWITCH more than ROUTE, but TSHOOT was the best exam I ever took. DESIGN was the easiest

CCDA and CCDP is design right? There's a guy at my job that has CCDE
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Also on the lookout for a couple of 3750 or whatever layer 3 switches , the model doesn't matter

If you guys see any good deals on ebay or whatever let me know.

People at my job saying they found 3750 switches for $40 online

Just got 2 3750s for 70 lol , I think that's all the hardware I'm buying I'm gonna do all the route Labs in GNS3

I'll still get a old 5 or 10 dollar wireless router so I can telnet/ssh into them
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Switch isn't buggy as ? though, a few of the labs didn't even work
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

CCDA and CCDP is design right? There's a guy at my job that has CCDE

Yea CCDP. Im still thinking if I should jump into the IE track. I know I can clear the wriiten, just need to be sure I can do the lab, especially with how much it cost
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Switch isn't buggy as ? though, a few of the labs didn't even work

That's what I heard, someone at my job failed it because the commands wouldn't take in the sim