George Lucas: "Hollywood is still RACIST" (Problems with getting "Red Tails" Made)

Options
rapmastermind
rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Well he didn't stay that exactly but he did go in on how Hollywood continues to give Black Directors and Black Cast low budgets and weak promotion. He had to finance his new movie "Red Tails" with his own money, here's the story:

Red-Tails-Movie-Poster.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/10/george-lucas-hollywood-di_n_1197227.html

"I realize that by accident I've now put the black film community at risk [with Red Tails, whose $58 million budget far exceeds typical all-black productions]," he said. "I'm saying, if this doesn't work, there's a good chance you'll stay where you are for quite a while. It'll be harder for you guys to break out of that [lower-budget] mold. But if I can break through with this movie, then hopefully there will be someone else out there saying let's make a prequel and sequel, and soon you have more Tyler Perrys out there."

I agree, Spike been saying this for years and people saying he's always playing the race card. I'm so happy that someone of George's caliber ethered Hollywood on this. Nothing will change but for someone that has made Billions of dollars at the box office, it's sad that not even George can get funding for a Black Project. I hope one day a Black Director will direct a "Star Wars" big Budget type film that is a success at the box office. One thing I don't agree with George with is that he said "Maybe more Tyler Perry's will happen". I don't know about that, from a business standpoint then yea but not from a creative standpoint. I'm most definitely going to check out "Red Tails". It's sad that white america and yes even some blacks do not support all black cast movies. I saw "The Tuskegee Airman" HBO TV Movie in the 90's with Cuba and Lawence and that was dope. I'm glad they are getting a budget for this one.

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    this isn't a new. the sad part will be when the numbers come in and he realizes that black folks don't watch historical/documentary type movies. I'm taking my daughter to go see this though Spike Lee went broke making Malcolm X and had to borrow money from other entertainers to make the film.

and yeah white folks don't touch all black movies at all. they label them as black movies and feel they can't understand them. it's really sad b/c black folks will go watch anything regardless of the color of the cast aslong as it looks good.

at teh end of the day black folks need to support and show these movies more love the help did well but i'm not so sure about this one. mainly b/c black women went out in droves to see the help. i'm not sure they will go out to see this movie
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'll be supporting this, but I think more black people will watch an episode of "The Game" than this unfortunately.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ill check this out..........
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    In other breaking news ; water is wet.
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    it's really sad b/c black folks will go watch anything regardless of the color of the cast aslong as it looks good.

We prove y we should keep getting exploited EVERYDAY, sadly.

This is also will smiths fault. Doing the matrix wouldve been a good look steering towards majority black casts. Dam near every other muhfucka in that movie was black.....I said dam near -_-
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Tuskegee-airmen-DVDcover.jpg

This movie was very dope came out in the mid-90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Airmen

History of Tuskegee Airman

"Red Tails" trailer

What Kills me is these Hollywood executives always use the excuse that Black Cast and Black Directors don't make money at the box office yet White Directors and White actors get to flop over and over again and still get funding and projects made. It's funny that a film about Black Hero's doesn't get made but a film like "The Help" which is about Black Maids from a book can get green lit with no problem. "Glory" is a great film but it's true that the White Actors highlighted the film and Denzel and Morgan out shinned everyone, glad Denzel won the Oscar for that. SMH @ George Lucas (Red Tails) and Spielberg (The Color Purple) making better Black Flims than Tyler Perry. Spike was right all along, It's sad that his message get tainted cause the media has demonized him and his opinions on racist Hollywood. Let's see what White America has to say now that George pull the curtain over their clear bias against Black Cast and Directors. On Yea, Neo and Method Man are in "Red Tails". Wow at a Black Film saying "From the Creator of Star Wars", Props to George for This, I forgive him for Jar Jar now, lol.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ill wait till its on blu ray... my tv is better
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Also I think George Lucas wife is Black by the way:

inter21.jpg

For those that don't know Lucas is still one of the last independent film makers in the game, he finances a lot of his own projects. He has a net worth of over 4 Billion. If he releases Episode 7, it will break every box office record on the books including the ones "Avatar" got. He's releasing "Star Wars" in 3D every year for the next 6 years starting this Feb with Episode I.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    S.jR. wrote: »
    I'll be supporting this, but I think more black people will watch an episode of "The Game" than this unfortunately.

lol...........
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    definitely checking this out looks epic hopefully makes cuba gooding a household name again cuz son can really act when he wants to
  • m. inferno
    m. inferno Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    definitely checking this out looks epic hopefully makes cuba gooding a household name again cuz son can really act when he wants to

word, remember Men of Honor?
  • lurkinassnigga
    lurkinassnigga Members Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I imagine that Hollywood's unwillingness to fund "black movies" is due to their concern about the international market. While movies with black leads, or a decent black cast presence get minimal love in the States, they get almost none what-so-ever in Europe and Asia. The UK -may- be an exception due to the fact that they're less homogenous than, say, Scandanavian countries, and considering that a pretty good amount of excellent black actors are British.The only American black actor that Hollywood really feels comfortable with when it comes to the international market is Will Smith, since he doesn't really do "black guy" roles, but rather "everyman" roles. Even Smith can't escape it entirely though. I believe his love interest was originally supposed to be a black woman in "Hitch", but had her race changed so the film wouldn't become a "black movie." It's really not something that's limited to black actors either. Asian actors get ? on as well (Race changing of lead characters, e.g. "21", non-stereotypical roles, white male leads getting Asian female leads as love interests, but never the other way around, etc.) Lucas does come off as a little arrogant when he states that he, personally, will either save or destroy black film, but he does have a point. If George Lucas, with his Hollywood clout, his money, and his track record can't seem to pull off a successful, mainstream (most important part) "black movie", it's going to be damn near impossible for lesser-known directors to get backing in the future, no matter how good the script is.
  • Kame
    edited January 2012
    Options
    george lucas is racist for ruining star wars and indiana jones franchises

lol........................
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Its not racisim, its business. Whites dont give a ? about black casts and black themed movies and they make up the majority of the population so....there is no point in making a high budget black film if its going to flop.

This is reality.

Hell, there's more Latinos in this country and we're not even close.

And Non martial arts themed Asian American films are more like myth.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options

so sad but true
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

Facebook post are flooded with this. Is this show back on or something?
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    this isn't a new. the sad part will be when the numbers come in and he realizes that black folks don't watch historical/documentary type movies. I'm taking my daughter to go see this though Spike Lee went broke making Malcolm X and had to borrow money from other entertainers to make the film.

and yeah white folks don't touch all black movies at all. they label them as black movies and feel they can't understand them. it's really sad b/c black folks will go watch anything regardless of the color of the cast aslong as it looks good.

at teh end of the day black folks need to support and show these movies more love the help did well but i'm not so sure about this one. mainly b/c black women went out in droves to see the help. i'm not sure they will go out to see this movie

when is black america going to wake up and become leaders to where they are in jewish status. if they dont want us, then we dont need them.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm gonna go watch it when it comes out to support the cause.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    Facebook post are flooded with this. Is this show back on or something?

Yea that ? is on again.. and like you the only reason I know is because of Facebook... Smdh at peoples statuses "The Game is back, don't be mad if I ignore your call." Then go on to hold conversations in their status with other people minutes later about the damn show.
  • Kame
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Its not racisim, its business. Whites dont give a ? about black casts and black themed movies and they make up the majority of the population so....there is no point in making a high budget black film if its going to flop.

bottom line really
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I imagine that Hollywood's unwillingness to fund "black movies" is due to their concern about the international market. While movies with black leads, or a decent black cast presence get minimal love in the States, they get almost none what-so-ever in Europe and Asia. The UK -may- be an exception due to the fact that they're less homogenous than, say, Scandanavian countries, and considering that a pretty good amount of excellent black actors are British.The only American black actor that Hollywood really feels comfortable with when it comes to the international market is Will Smith, since he doesn't really do "black guy" roles, but rather "everyman" roles. Even Smith can't escape it entirely though. I believe his love interest was originally supposed to be a black woman in "Hitch", but had her race changed so the film wouldn't become a "black movie." It's really not something that's limited to black actors either. Asian actors get ? on as well (Race changing of lead characters, e.g. "21", non-stereotypical roles, white male leads getting Asian female leads as love interests, but never the other way around, etc.) Lucas does come off as a little arrogant when he states that he, personally, will either save or destroy black film, but he does have a point. If George Lucas, with his Hollywood clout, his money, and his track record can't seem to pull off a successful, mainstream (most important part) "black movie", it's going to be damn near impossible for lesser-known directors to get backing in the future, no matter how good the script is.

You see, this is the problem and what George is talking about. Hollywood assumes a Big Budget film with blacks won't do well but guess what, THEY'VE NEVER TRIED, almost all black films have low budgets, how do you know something will fail if you never tried. The excuse that Whites won't see it is weak, You are telling me an all Black Cast with Will Smith or Eddie Murphy in the leading roles will flop?. Will and Martin proved with the Bad Boys Franchise that 2 Blacks in a leading action role can have box office success. Like George said, Hollywood is stuck in their old ways. So the "It's Business" excuse doesn't fly. Woody Allen's flims have flopped left and right but he still gets to make movie after movie so I don't want to hear that. The fact is they were racist from the start and they are still racist now and they are using that lame excuse to keep black actors and filmmakers down. I showed the Box Office list, Tim Story directed 2 100 Million + grosser in the "Fantastic 4" series and he was still fired. So it's not about box office, it has and will always be about race. If it was about Box Office, plenty of White Actors would be out of work for the countless flops. You know how many Nick Cage fllms have flopped in the last 5 years? yet he's still getting roles left and right. Lucas is only saying what black actors and filmmakers have know for years. Racism is alive and well. This movie told it all:

Hollwood_Shuffle_DVD.jpg
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    How did Cool Runnings do? Isn't it a classic?
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You see, this is the problem and what George is talking about. Hollywood assumes a Big Budget film with blacks won't do well but guess what, THEY'VE NEVER TRIED, almost all black films have low budgets, how do you know something will fail if you never tried. The excuse that Whites won't see it is weak, You are telling me an all Black Cast with Will Smith or Eddie Murphy in the leading roles will flop?. Will and Martin proved with the Bad Boys Franchise that 2 Blacks in a leading action role can have box office success. Like George said, Hollywood is stuck in their old ways. So the "It's Business" excuse doesn't fly. Woody Allen's flims have flopped left and right but he still gets to make movie after movie so I don't want to hear that. The fact is they were racist from the start and they are still racist now and they are using that lame excuse to keep black actors and filmmakers down. I showed the Box Office list, Tim Story directed 2 100 Million + grosser in the "Fantastic 4" series and he was still fired. So it's not about box office, it has and will always be about race. If it was about Box Office, plenty of White Actors would be out of work for the countless flops. You know how many Nick Cage fllms have flopped in the last 5 years? yet he's still getting roles left and right. Lucas is only saying what black actors and filmmakers have know for years. Racism is alive and well. This movie told it all:

Hollwood_Shuffle_DVD.jpg
    Co-sign this powerful post.

Hollywood Shuffle is a slept on classic and really showed how Holly-weird really sees Black actors in general, which is sad..
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

ive never seen this show, i have been seeing alot of post from ? and ? made ? about this show though on facebook
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go watch it when it comes out to support the cause.

******This*******
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i will check this movie out

How did the movie Ray do at the box office that was a good ass movie