George Lucas: "Hollywood is still RACIST" (Problems with getting "Red Tails" Made)

Options

Comments

• bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Going the first weekend that its out. And I don't even go on Facebook to much no more because its seems like everybody and their momma is talking about The Game. I could not even watch past 5 mins of it.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    To be fair though, there aren't many creative black movies that get made. Maybe we need a black person to write and direct a red tails instead of another madea or generic 'hood flick. Just sayin'.

We need blacks with more courage to tell ALL the stories of us. The stories of our downtrodden women(not tyler perry style), our ? , etc. We have so many different stories in our culture that don't get told.

Ghetto black kids and black women who can't find a "strong black man" is all I see. Spike had the right idea in the 80's, but he's it. There's only one spike. I think that's one of the biggest problems with black films. I don't know what happened to the hughes brothers, cuz they were telling good stories too.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    To be fair though, there aren't many creative black movies that get made. Maybe we need a black person to write and direct a red tails instead of another madea or generic 'hood flick. Just sayin'.

We need blacks with more courage to tell ALL the stories of us. The stories of our downtrodden women(not tyler perry style), our ? , etc. We have so many different stories in our culture that don't get told.

Ghetto black kids and black women who can't find a "strong black man" is all I see. Spike had the right idea in the 80's, but he's it. There's only one spike. I think that's one of the biggest problems with black films. I don't know what happened to the hughes brothers, cuz they were telling good stories too.

I agree...there are so many stories that can be told about black people that many of us don't even know about or very little about. Its going to take someone that don't care about what the mainstream thinks what will do good or not.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Based on the previews I've seen, I've got a feeling that HBO's movie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this one.

Terrance Howard seemed to be trying to hard to sound overly dramatic.

What's goin' on with you red tails, mane.

Foxx ruined this ? for me. I can't watch him without laughing ever again.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    What's goin' on with you red tails, mane.

Foxx ruined this ? for me. I can't watch him without laughing ever again.

Im coming for you Mr ? , mane.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Man that " Take That Mr ? " Line and the corny cheesy group chant " We Fight We Fight" etc to me makes it look like the writer of the movie inserting lots of corny overtop dialouge to try to make it an inspirational movie that comes off forced and fake and not natural ala the scene in Glory at the camp fire when there praying and singing...
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    DAMITT wrote: »
    i will check this movie out

How did the movie Ray do at the box office that was a good ass movie

75m domestic, 50m overseas - boxofficemojo.com

Don't know why he's expecting this one to take in a lot. january ww2 movie with no star power. Wouldve been better off going the devil inside/saw/devil/paranormal activity route if he wanted to put black people in something and make money.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You see, this is the problem and what George is talking about. Hollywood assumes a Big Budget film with blacks won't do well but guess what, THEY'VE NEVER TRIED, almost all black films have low budgets, how do you know something will fail if you never tried. The excuse that Whites won't see it is weak, You are telling me an all Black Cast with Will Smith or Eddie Murphy in the leading roles will flop?. Will and Martin proved with the Bad Boys Franchise that 2 Blacks in a leading action role can have box office success. Like George said, Hollywood is stuck in their old ways. So the "It's Business" excuse doesn't fly. Woody Allen's flims have flopped left and right but he still gets to make movie after movie so I don't want to hear that. The fact is they were racist from the start and they are still racist now and they are using that lame excuse to keep black actors and filmmakers down. I showed the Box Office list, Tim Story directed 2 100 Million + grosser in the "Fantastic 4" series and he was still fired. So it's not about box office, it has and will always be about race. If it was about Box Office, plenty of White Actors would be out of work for the countless flops. You know how many Nick Cage fllms have flopped in the last 5 years? yet he's still getting roles left and right. Lucas is only saying what black actors and filmmakers have know for years. Racism is alive and well. This movie told it all:

Hollwood_Shuffle_DVD.jpg

1) Bad Boys the first one was not a big budget movie...$20 Million was the budget and Will and Martin were nobodies when Bad Boys came out.
    2) Woody Allen's films have never flopped. They are low budget to begin with, he never has huge budget movies. And his movies are critically renowned.
    3) Fantastic Four movies sucked ass and Tim Story got a second shot with the 2nd Fantastic Four movie with a bigger budget but that made less money than the first movie
    4) Nick Cage is a joke his movies are on the same level as most black movies.....who the ? saw Drive Angry?

Its business, not racisim. You think if Warners, Universal etc could make hundreds of millions of dollars of all black films they wouldn't? There is only one colour in any business...GREEN.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm supporting the ? outta this, attendance should mandatory for all blacks

Also I think George Lucas wife is Black by the way

yeah but his 1st white wife was the secret weapon to dat Star Wars/Indy success lol, ya'll don't know......
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    1) Bad Boys the first one was not a big budget movie...$20 Million was the budget and Will and Martin were nobodies when Bad Boys came out.
    2) Woody Allen's films have never flopped. They are low budget to begin with, he never has huge budget movies. And his movies are critically renowned.
    3) Fantastic Four movies sucked ass and Tim Story got a second shot with the 2nd Fantastic Four movie with a bigger budget but that made less money than the first movie
    4) Nick Cage is a joke his movies are on the same level as most black movies.....who the ? saw Drive Angry?

Its business, not racisim. You think if Warners, Universal etc could make hundreds of millions of dollars of all black films they wouldn't? There is only one colour in any business...GREEN.

1. The point about Bad Boys was it stared 2 Blacks in lead roles and it was a success and "Bad Boys II" had over 100 Million dollar budget, both films were made by Michael Bay and produced by Jerry bruckhimer so again there is no proof that an all Black Cast with a Big Budget can't succeed, if Hollywood never did it? how will they know?, I know Bad Boys isn't a Black Movie but again it's Blockbuster where the main roles are black actors. You can't say it's business if you never tried it.

2. Wood Allen's films in general don't do well at the Box Office reguardless of budget using your logic there should be more Black Films cause most Black films have low budgets and most of them make the money back yet there still an issue with them coming out.

3. Most Superhero summer Blockbuster aren't that great, the fact is the movie made money on the Big Screen and DVD, the fact is Black Directors have a lower threshold with flopping than White Directors do, I've never hear of a Director have 2 back to back 100 Million Dollar grosser's in a series and losing his job. If you can find out let me know? Also Tim Story is one of the few Black Directors that got a big budget and for the most part the films made their money back that they put in when you include Worldwide Numbers.

4. Glad you agree on Nick Cage, his uncle is Francis Ford Coppola that's why he will always have roles. But he isn't the only white actor that has had a chance to have countless flops and still have a career.

Bottom line the "It's Business" excuse doesn't fly, all that is saying is, "It's Business for us to continue to only support most white driven films and not give minority films the time or day" It's not just about blacks, it affects latinos and asians also. Look at "21" like someone said, a movie about asians students, look at "The Last Airbender" and "Dragon Ball" should of been more asians in those but all of them where white washed. if you don't see something wrong with that, then forget it. Especially since Hollywood has a long history of Racism. It was business in the 40's too to not include Black Actors. Hattie Mcdanield couldn't even go to the damn Oscars at one point. How long did Denzel get robbed for Best Actor. Spike has been blackballed yet his films are some of the best that a Black Director have made. George Lucas said what Blacks already know, Racism is still strong in Hollywood. I'm still Shocked Will was able to break through and become the biggest which is why I don't believe an All Black Cast with Will Smith staring couldn't be a success. They have to try it first.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Man that " Take That Mr ? " Line and the corny cheesy group chant " We Fight We Fight"

Its just clips in a trailer man, they dumbin it down in the ads so they can get dat dumb mainstream American bread. Lucas is playin this so smart. There's actual cockpit footage of Tuskegee Airmen dive bombing the German train just like an X-Wing into the Death Star trench. Why shouldn't a film about these heroes be about the gangsta ? they was doin in the air instead of all that ? back home?
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    damn i didn't know that a black man was responsible for these horrible, horrible ass movies that slandered the good name of Victor Von Doom. :(

lol @ you braggin like that ? wasn't a L for the black race

I'm not saying they were good movies, I'm talking about the business aspect of it. A Black Director got a 100 Million budget and broke over 300 Million WW both times, the quality aside, he did what he had to do for the business of making movies yet he is no longer the director of that franchise.
  • Charlie Spitfire
    Charlie Spitfire Members Posts: 100
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Tuskegee-airmen-DVDcover.jpg

This movie was very dope came out in the mid-90's.

It was alright, it was a above average made for tv-movie but yeah it lacked that extra special something and the no-budget didn't help, so I thin RED TAILS will be well worth checking out cause it is a pretty cool story... Cuba Gooding Jr is in both these btw...
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

films with predominately white casts bomb every day though.....and who's to say what movie will flop nowadays, times are changing
  • desertrain10
    edited January 2012
    Options

not true ...plenty of independent black films that aren't "hood" flicks or historical dramas out here... but they don't get picked up by studios because they automatically assume that it will flop ...at the end of the day white movie exes ultimately decide what films see the light of day so blame them
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yea but Blacks only make up 13/% of the population. We watch everything regardless of the color of the cast. It's already been proven that sadly Whites do not watch Black Cast as much as they do White Cast. But I agree we need to support films like this or films like the ones Spike makes instead of always going for the typical stereotyped Token Black Roles or comedies that Hollywood forces down our throats. As far as Black Directors, here are the highest Grossing Films by a Black Director:

#1. Scary Movie - 157,019,771 - Keenon Ivory Waynes
    #2. The Fantastic Four 154,696,080 - Tim Story
    #3. The Fantastic Four 2 131,921,738 - Tim Story
    #4. 2 Fast, 2 Furious 127,154,901- John Singleton
    #5. The Italian Job 106,128,601 - F. Gary Grey
    #6. Medea Goes To Jail 90,508,336 - Tyler Perry
    #7. Inside Man 88,513,495 - Spike Lee

Spike got the Best Film out of all of them and SMH @ Tim Story getting fired after having 2 successful films in the Fantastic Four Series. Wow @ Keenon have the #1 grosser for a Black Director.

I agree with everything you're saying, but those Fantastic 4 movies were terrible
  • blackrain
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm not saying they were good movies, I'm talking about the business aspect of it. A Black Director got a 100 Million budget and broke over 300 Million WW both times, the quality aside, he did what he had to do for the business of making movies yet he is no longer the director of that franchise.

You think people would have gone to see a 3rd Fantastic 4 film after how horrible the first 2 were with the same director? That would have been bad for business...and Miss_Evers%27_Boys_cover_art.jpg is a great movie too
  • blackrain
    edited January 2012
    Options
    And Spike Lee didn't almost go broke over Malcom X, he just gave up a good portion of his salary
  • rage
    edited January 2012
    Options
    films with predominately white casts bomb every day though.....and who's to say what movie will flop nowadays, times are changing

Yes, but in this country there are more whites than blacks. Whites will identify and relate to whites on screen, other nationalities in this country are also brainwashed into thinking anything white is good. Hence there are always going to be more "white" films than "black" films....I mean how many "latino" movies are there?
  • rage
    edited January 2012
    Options
    1. The point about Bad Boys was it stared 2 Blacks in lead roles and it was a success and "Bad Boys II" had over 100 Million dollar budget, both films were made by Michael Bay and produced by Jerry bruckhimer so again there is no proof that an all Black Cast with a Big Budget can't succeed, if Hollywood never did it? how will they know?, I know Bad Boys isn't a Black Movie but again it's Blockbuster where the main roles are black actors. You can't say it's business if you never tried it.

2. Wood Allen's films in general don't do well at the Box Office reguardless of budget using your logic there should be more Black Films cause most Black films have low budgets and most of them make the money back yet there still an issue with them coming out.

3. Most Superhero summer Blockbuster aren't that great, the fact is the movie made money on the Big Screen and DVD, the fact is Black Directors have a lower threshold with flopping than White Directors do, I've never hear of a Director have 2 back to back 100 Million Dollar grosser's in a series and losing his job. If you can find out let me know? Also Tim Story is one of the few Black Directors that got a big budget and for the most part the films made their money back that they put in when you include Worldwide Numbers.

4. Glad you agree on Nick Cage, his uncle is Francis Ford Coppola that's why he will always have roles. But he isn't the only white actor that has had a chance to have countless flops and still have a career.

Bottom line the "It's Business" excuse doesn't fly, all that is saying is, "It's Business for us to continue to only support most white driven films and not give minority films the time or day" It's not just about blacks, it affects latinos and asians also. Look at "21" like someone said, a movie about asians students, look at "The Last Airbender" and "Dragon Ball" should of been more asians in those but all of them where white washed. if you don't see something wrong with that, then forget it. Especially since Hollywood has a long history of Racism. It was business in the 40's too to not include Black Actors. Hattie Mcdanield couldn't even go to the damn Oscars at one point. How long did Denzel get robbed for Best Actor. Spike has been blackballed yet his films are some of the best that a Black Director have made. George Lucas said what Blacks already know, Racism is still strong in Hollywood. I'm still Shocked Will was able to break through and become the biggest which is why I don't believe an All Black Cast with Will Smith staring couldn't be a success. They have to try it first.

Ok so the original point was why arent there any big budget black movies with predominantly black casts. Not wether black cast movies get made at all.

1) The original Bad Boys was a low budget movie that exceded expectations. So they gave it a bigger budget and in relation to Bad Boys one wasnt as large a return on investment.
    2) The Woody Allen argument doesnt hold water because ALL his movies are low budget.....so it has no relation to there being no BIG budget black movies. Tyler Perry is the Woody Allen equivalent in the "black" film world/
    3) This isnt an argument about content or whats good or bad. Superman Returns made $300 Million and Singer got the axe after one movie.

Ask yourself this why would a studio not produce a predominantly black casted movie it wouldnt make them pots of money ? What do they gain by that?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I grew up in Tuskegee. I will go see it. All black folk should go see it just cuz of history and to support black actors. Hell black history isnt taught like it used to be so everyone with kids shoukd take em or rent Tuskegee Airman and watch it.
  • desertrain10
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yes, but in this country there are more whites than blacks. Whites will identify and relate to whites on screen, other nationalities in this country are also brainwashed into thinking anything white is good. Hence there are always going to be more "white" films than "black" films....I mean how many "latino" movies are there?

blacks, asians, latinos, blacks we go to see movies with predominately white casts not because we are brainwashed but because a lot of people enjoy going to the movies and we don't have any choice...so i don't see why wouldn't white audiences would not go to see a "black" film... all we need is the opportunity to finally make movies other than hood flicks and historical dramas.. same could be said of films that would feature predominately asian, latino cast...
  • rage
    edited January 2012
    Options
    blacks, asians, latinos, blacks we go to see movies with predominately white casts not because we are brainwashed but because a lot of people enjoy going to the movies and we don't have any choice...so i don't see why wouldn't white audiences would not go to see a "black" film... all we need is the opportunity to finally make movies other than hood flicks and historical dramas.. same could be said of films that would feature predominately asian, latino cast...

They dont.....its a fact...the fact that black movies are pigeonholed as "hood" movies and "historical dramas" should clue you into the fact that black movies are treated as niche products.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Movie looks just aight, but I'll support it if what he's saying is true.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    My man I'm peepin that ? ...

and ? hollywood...nothing but a group of racist ass white men with a thing for heroin and coke plus ? little child stars

Yo...did that Malcolm X blu ray drop yet

That's an insta-cop right there my dude

But that Red Tails will be good

Funny though they got that ? ass Cuba Gooding, Jr in that ?

But I actually liked him in that Navy diver story...? was pretty good...