George Lucas: "Hollywood is still RACIST" (Problems with getting "Red Tails" Made)

Options
12346»

Comments

• sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Ever hear of Taharqa? Will is attached to this and it has yet to be greenlighted.
    You're trying really hard to justify their racist practices by attaching it to businesses and profitability.

You talking about The Last Pharoah, and I heard of it last year. When it was announced the movie was in writing and pre-production phase and is scheduled for a 2013 release.

I take it you have no idea who Octavia Butler is?
    Or that the "Underworld" series was conceived by this man, Kevin Grevioux.

Octavia Butler is a writer, not a screenwriter. Why is she relevant to your point?

Don't answer that. She isn't.

Kevin Grevioux is a black screenwriter, yes. Why is he relevant to your point? He's been behind the writing of 3 screenplays, all of which have been greenlit by hollywood. Unless you have evidence he wrote all 3 for black actor casts and Hollywood changed the scripts, why are you even bringing him up? If anything the fact he's written these movies for white leads proves the opposite of your point and supports mine.

Hmmmmm?
    White casts are guarantees of successful films?

? , who said that? For a cat who cares so much about writing you have no reading comprehension at all. I said white casts are "better" guarantees of money, meaning there is more earning potential with white casting than black casting, which should be obvious to anybody. No movie is guaranteed to make money no matter what, and nobody said it was. smh at me having to explain that
    Arthur
    Studio: Warner Bros.
    Stars: Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner
    Release Date: April 8, 2011
    Budget: $40 million-plus
    Worldwide Gross: $45.7 million

Cowboys & Aliens
    Studio: DreamWorks/Universal
    Stars: Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford
    Release Date: July 29, 2011
    Budget: $163 million
    Worldwide Gross: $178.8

Conan the Barbarian
    Studio: Lionsgate
    Stars: Jason Momoa, Rose McGowan
    Release Date: Aug. 19
    Budget: $90 million
    Wordwide Gross: $48.8 million

I Don't Know How She Does It
    Studio: Weinstein
    Stars: Sarah Jessica Parker, Greg Kinnear
    Release Date: Sept. 16
    Budget: $24 million
    Worldwide Gross: $30.5 million

The Big Year
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Stars: Steve Martin, Jack Black, Owen Wilson
    Release Date: Oct. 14, 2011
    Budget: $41 million
    Worldwide Gross: $7.4 million

The Rum Diary
    Studio: GK Films
    Stars: Johnny Depp, Aaron Eckhart
    Release Date: Oct. 28, 2011
    Budget: $45 million
    Worldwide Gross: $21.6 million

Anonymous
    Studio: Sony (U.S., most foreign territories)
    Stars: Rhys Ifans, Vanessa Redgrave, David Thewlis
    Release Date: Oct. 28, 2011
    Budget: $30 million
    Worldwide Gross: $14.8 million

Jonah Hex:
    Co-financed by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures, this big screen D.C. Comics adaptation cost upwards of $40 million to make, but went nowhere in its high-profile summer slot. Film grossed just $10.5 million domestically and less than 500K overseas for a total $10.9 million. Warners canceled plans for a major overseas rollout after the film’s poor domestic showing.

Knight and Day (Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz)
    Budget: $117 million
    Box Office: $76.4 million

? your list, next time read the post you responding to so you don't waste time googling and posting a bunch of irrelevant ? . So far all you've done is name black writers with no relevance to the argument at hand and twist words so your responses sound better. Whats really good?

And I wonder how much Cowboys and Aliens would have made with the cast of Soul Food in the leads. Zero duckets.
  • sdotcarter111
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's amazing, he really thinks there are no Black Screenwriters trying to write other types of films. It's not a matter of Black Screenwriters aren't writing other genre's, it's the fact Hollywood will not buy a screenplay from them that doesn't fit the stereotypical type of films they want Blacks to show. Good breakdown showing the box office. The fact is the excuses aren't holding up, they are using systematic racism to keep mintory theme actors, directors and films down. Check out this article:

"The 10 Black Films that may never be released"

http://www.blackfilm.com/read/2011/08/ten-black-films-that-may-never-be-released-in-theaters-or-on-dvd/

You a co-signing ass ? who will agree with anything regardless of where it comes from or if it makes sense.
  • sdotcarter111
    edited January 2012
    Options
    That's a lot of films sitting in production hell, yet ? by Seth Rogen is approved of with the quicknees.

Even Danny Glover is having a hard time getting his film about Toussaint L'Ouverture made.
    Yes, the same Danny Glover who helped make Warner Bros over $900 million from the "Lethal Weapon" series.

Whats your point? Everyone agrees that all-black films have problems being made. The debate is over why.

""I couldn't get the money here, I couldn't get the money in Britain. I went to everybody. You wouldn't believe the number of producers based in Europe, and in the States, that I went to," he said.

"The first question you get, is 'Is it a black film?' All of them agree, it's not going to do good in Europe, it's not going to do good in Japan."

Those are quotes from Glover. Does that sound like studios are hesitant to finance the movie because they, specifically, don't like black people, or because they're concerned about the earning potential in non-black markets?

I'll wait.
    And for the people complaining about "Red Tails" or its subject matter, how many films have been released in the past 20 years about World War 1 and 2, in addition to Steven Spielberg's "War Horse?" A film about a ? horse. A horse.

This link gives a partial list of the War films Hollywood and other world studios have put out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_films

Steven Spielberg has his own production company (Dreamworks) with enough juice to make any project he wants. He made the movie the same way George Lucas was able to make Red Tails, because he has cheddar and can make his own movies.

In addition to that, War Horse was a book/play that had already won a grip of awards in Europe before Spielberg even saw it.

You realize this also doesn't support your point in any way shape or form, right?
    When a film chronicles the black experience in a world event, people get fatigued from the subject matter?

Nah. They [whites/asians/etc.] just don't care as much. Which you don't seem to be able to register.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You talking about The Last Pharoah, and I heard of it last year. When it was announced the movie was in writing and pre-production phase and is scheduled for a 2013 release.

Octavia Butler is a writer, not a screenwriter. Why is she relevant to your point?

Don't answer that. She isn't.

You must have amnesia.
    You clearly state that "NO" film staring Will Smith will have trouble being green lighted.
    I listed a film that Will is attached to, that is having production problems.

The most bankable man in Hollyweird having trouble getting a film green lighted?
    Try again.

Writers books are adapted into movies. This has been done before and will be done again. Pay attention.
    If one of her books are adapted into a film, she may be a consultant on that film.

Again, pay attention.

Sci-Fi is her chosen genre, and who's to say someone hasn't adapted one of her books for the big screen only to get rejected.

Again, pay attention.
    Kevin Grevioux is a black screenwriter, yes. Why is he relevant to your point? He's been behind the writing of 3 screenplays, all of which have been greenlit by hollywood. Unless you have evidence he wrote all 3 for black actor casts and Hollywood changed the scripts, why are you even bringing him up? If anything the fact he's written these movies for white leads proves the opposite of your point and supports mine.

You must have amnesia.
    Your ? asked how many black screenwriters are out there, did you not?
    I mentioned Kevin, since you stated "blacks handicap themselves with the scripts they write."
    Underworld doesn't fit into that "hood film" criteria that black screenwriters limit themselves to does it?

? , who said that? For a cat who cares so much about writing you have no reading comprehension at all. I said white casts are "better" guarantees of money, meaning there is more earning potential with white casting than black casting, which should be obvious to anybody. No movie is guaranteed to make money no matter what, and nobody said it was. smh at me having to explain that

Umm, "? " you said it.
    "Originally Posted by sdotcarter111 View Post
    White casts are better guarantees of money because ? will see white movies regardless (everybody will see white movies), and white people (as well as asians, latinos, etc.) won't necessarily see black movies.[B/]

And the word "guarantee" leads no room for failure.
    Reach into that word and phrase bag.
    Pull out "possibly", "more likely to," has abetter chance to" etc.

A better choice would be to say "films featuring a predominately white cast, are more likely to make greater sums of money, than films with coloreds."

Hence me listing the box office failures of the "surefire guarantee moneymakers."

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

? your list, next time read the post you responding to so you don't waste time googling and posting a bunch of irrelevant ? . So far all you've done is name black writers with no relevance to the argument at hand and twist words so your responses sound better. Whats really good?

And I wonder how much Cowboys and Aliens would have made with the cast of Soul Food in the leads. Zero duckets.

I didn't twist your words.
    You stated them.
    I quoted you directly, and you caught feelings in the process.

Your liberal use of the word "? " troubles me. But hey, anonymity allows people to do all kinds of ? .
  • sdotcarter111
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You must have amnesia.
    You clearly state that "NO" film staring Will Smith will have trouble being green lighted.
    I listed a film that Will is attached to, that is having production problems.

The most bankable man in Hollyweird having trouble getting a film green lighted?
    Try again.

Its in pre-production with a tentative release date. Thats called 'greenlit'. Do you think movies aren't greenlit until they are in the theater and ? are eatin popcorn?
    Writers books are adapted into movies. This has been done before and will be done again. Pay attention.
    If one of her books are adapted into a film, she may be a consultant on that film.

There are hundreds of quality sci-fi books by every race that haven't been adapted into film. Why would anyone specifically be hunting for hers? Why is it more noteworthy that her books haven't been adapted to film than some white or South Indian sci-fi novelist?

Because she's black?
    Sci-Fi is her chosen genre, and who's to say someone hasn't adapted one of her books for the big screen only to get rejected.

Who's to say they have? You? Saying it "might" have doesn't any relevance to the point or your argument. Proving a point requires more than for you to posit that some ? "might" have happened . You do understand that right? Scratch that, aint NO doubt that you don't.
    You must have amnesia.
    Your ? asked how many black screenwriters are out there, did you not?
    I mentioned Kevin, since you stated "blacks handicap themselves with the scripts they write."
    Underworld doesn't fit into that "hood film" criteria that black screenwriters limit themselves to does it?

I asked how many black screenwriters are out there because I don't know how many are out there, not because I don't think there are any. Clearly there are far less than white ones.

Underworld doesn't fit into any hood movie criteria, no, but i'm still wondering why Kevin is relevant to the argument of all-black casts and why they have trouble being produced. Did he write it for an all-black cast? No. Has he ever had trouble getting a script bought? No. He's not relevant to this thread at all. We're discussing all-black films, who's behind them, and why they have trouble being made.
    And the word "guarantee" leads no room for failure.
    Reach into that word and phrase bag.
    Pull out "possibly", "more likely to," has abetter chance to" etc.

A better choice would be to say "films featuring a predominately white cast, are more likely to make greater sums of money, than films with coloreds."

Hence me listing the box office failures of the "surefire guarantee moneymakers."

Anybody reading the words "better guarantee" should not need it explained that the "better" is modifying the phrase from the singular word "guarantee". If you truly needed that spelled out than this has been a waste of my time as you have no reading comprehension whatsoever.
  • cobbland
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Its in pre-production with a tentative release date. Thats called 'greenlit'.

There are hundreds of quality sci-fi books by every race that haven't been adapted into film. Why would anyone specifically be hunting for hers? Why is it more noteworthy that her books haven't been adapted to film than some white or South Indian sci-fi novelist?

Because she's black?

Who's to say they have? You? Saying it "might" have doesn't any relevance to the point or your argument. Proving a point requires more than for you to posit that some ? "might" have happened . You do understand that right? Scratch that, aint NO doubt that you don't.

I asked how many black screenwriters are out there because I don't know how many are out there, not because I don't think there are any. Clearly there are far less than white ones.

Underworld doesn't fit into any hood movie criteria, no, but i'm still wondering why Kevin is relevant to the argument of all-black casts and why they have trouble being produced. Did he write it for an all-black cast? No. Has he ever had trouble getting a script bought? No. He's not relevant to this thread at all. We're discussing all-black films, who's behind them, and why they have trouble being made.

Anybody reading the words "better guarantee" should not need it explained that the "better" is modifying the phrase from the singular word "guarantee". If you truly needed that spelled out than this has been a ginormous waste of time on my part as you have no reading comprehension whatsoever.

Since you don't care about "all black films" with "all black casts," why are you wasting so much time arguing about the quality or scope of these films?
    You're not going to support them, right?
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The problem with Hollywood from the last 10 years is they want an "All or Nothing" mentality. Meaning that if your movie ain't doing Avatar or The Dark Knight numbers, you get ? on. That's why you see so many straight-to-DVDs of sequels and from old ass action stars (Val Kilmer). Black Movies hardly gross in those numbers, so during the last 10 years or so, been getting the shaft.
  • sdotcarter111
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Since you don't care about "all black films" with "all black casts," why are you wasting so much time arguing about the quality or scope of these films?
    You're not going to support them, right?

I say "white people don't care about all-black films", you say "so sdotcarter don't care about all-black films".

I say "white casts are better guarantees", you say "so sdotcarter think white casts are guarantees".

I ask "who is pitching sci-fi films for all-black casts", you say "I dont know but it could have happened".

Keep going fam, this is getting funny. Never seen a ? write with dyslexia before.
  • cobbland
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I say "white people don't care about all-black films", you say "so sdotcarter don't care about all-black films".

I say "white casts are better guarantees", you say "so sdotcarter think white casts are guarantees".

I ask "who is pitching sci-fi films for all-black casts", you say "I dont know but it could have happened".

Keep going fam, this is getting funny. Never seen a ? write with dyslexia before.

You're funny, keep at it.
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Not surprised but there are too many ? actors in that movie and the trailer looks looks horrible. Not because America is racist.

I won't see that whack ass movie.

I'm black but I hate to see some people said "Gotta support black films". How about give me a good ass movie.

If they bring A Star like Will Smith and Deznel Washington and Forest Whitaker, Don Cheadle. I am sure everybody wanna see it but who the hell wants to watch Terrance Howard's corny ass anymore anyway and washed up Cuba Gooding Jr? they even have Ne-Yo and Method Man.....that said something a lot.

*Hollywood won't fund "black" movie*

*Movie comes out, no one goes to see it*

*White Hollywood is proven right*

Funny, I remember me and my friend went to see The Great Debaters and there are few black people like 5 black people but a bunch of white people. I guess Black People wanna see ? movie and they didn't even support black films like you guys said. So stop saying ,"Gotta support black films" so better to say "gotta support good films".
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Paul Mooney: I mean Hollywood is crazy. The Last Samurai starring...Tom Cruise? He's the last samurai? Give me a break, that movie was offensive. First they had The Mexican with Brad Pitt and now they have The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise.
    Well I've written a film, maybe they'll produce my film: The Last Niigga On Earth starring Tom Hanks. How about that?
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    And darkrain just owned this thread
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    darkrain wrote: »
    Not surprised but there are too many ? actors in that movie and the trailer looks looks horrible. Not because America is racist.

I won't see that whack ass movie.

I'm black but I hate to see some people said "Gotta support black films". How about give me a good ass movie.

If they bring A Star like Will Smith and Deznel Washington and Forest Whitaker, Don Cheadle. I am sure everybody wanna see it but who the hell wants to watch Terrance Howard's corny ass anymore anyway and washed up Cuba Gooding Jr? they even have Ne-Yo and Method Man.....that said something a lot.

*Hollywood won't fund "black" movie*

*Movie comes out, no one goes to see it*

*White Hollywood is proven right*

Funny, I remember me and my friend went to see The Great Debaters and there are few black people like 5 black people but a bunch of white people. I guess Black People wanna see ? movie and they didn't even support black films like you guys said. So stop saying ,"Gotta support black films" so better to say "gotta support good films".

You aint even watched it tho? lol
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited January 2012
    Options
    And anybody saying these studios are justified in not putting out movies centered around positvie black characters because of the "earning potential" issue sounds crazy and low key coonish ...hollywood puts out "indie esque" movies all the time ...movies they know wont turn a major profit (or i should say they dont expect to turn a major profit) but will get them that so desired "oscar buzz" giving these major studios that feel of still being grounded within the art of film making ...its like a mainstream rapper doing the obligatory conscious track for an album to show their still connected to the roots ... but ultimately its just some ? ...these movie studios dont want to put out certain images of black people on the whole that diplay us in roles more than secondary or subservient in fear of upsetting the masses loosing fanbase etc etc ...all that other ? is for the birds
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Paul Mooney: I mean Hollywood is crazy. The Last Samurai starring...Tom Cruise? He's the last samurai? Give me a break, that movie was offensive. First they had The Mexican with Brad Pitt and now they have The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise.
    Well I've written a film, maybe they'll produce my film: The Last Niigga On Earth starring Tom Hanks. How about that?
    Classic lol
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Just For Fun Lets Do This .....

Paramount Studios ...whos apart of the "Big Six"(parmount,20th century fox,warner bros,disney,columbia,universal) major movie distributors that make up nearly 84% of the US market share has a divison specifically for lower budget "art house" types of films called Paramount Vantage ... these are the movies they put out which are not expected to turn a huge profit but proves benificial to these companies with the ability to as i said gain oscar buzz and keep the guise of indie roots attatched to the studio ... now ..since we have established money making isnt always the only bullet point on a studios agenda why dont you go ahead and take a look at how many of these "art house" "risky" movies are centered around blacks................... dont worry ........ill wait ...oh but they did put out hussle and ? flow tho as well as fade to black so i guess they know what we want!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_Vantage

now ... with that being said ... parmount vantage is one of 4 studio subsidiaries asscociated to the "big six"

Paramount - Parmount Vantage
    20th Century Fox - Fox Searchlight Pictures
    Sony Co of America/Columbia - Sony Pictures Classics
    Comcast/GE/Universal - Focus Features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_film_studio

I admittedly havent looked thru the production creds for each of the sister companies ..but i suspect the trend remains .... no black films and if there is get back to me when you find one that isnt a sterotypical "black folk" characterization ...

All this "its a business" ? is absurd .... unless by "its a business" you mean of course that its a business to keep yo black ass off the silver screen....
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It still amazes me how some people are actually coming up with excuses for Hollywood clear racist tactics. I mean systematically capping off "Black" Productions and not funding or rarely showing any positive black images on film shows you their bias continues. When I guy like George Lucas can't get funding for Black Film, you know what time it is. I mean how does a Director that brought Billions of Dollars to the Box Office and he can't even get positive Black images on screen without a 22 year struggle and footing the bill from his own pocket. Yet "It's Business", LOL. No It's "Racism" and people need to stand up. "Red Tails" drops this weekends guys, support it.

The "White" Savoir is one of the most overdone gimmicks in Hollywood, they stay having Whites Save other races in Hollywood. With that said, "The Last Samurai" was a good film but it was clear the concept of White Tom Cruise being the LAST Samurai is a little outlandish, especially the final scene where everyone gets killed but him, even I laughed at that when it happen. But the movie was pretty dope.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

Nice ... i started to watch this a couple days ago and didnt get a chance to finish ...I was trying to find who did this .... i believe fox did (distribution) ..but im pretty sure since it was put together by some independent cats from sweden it was already packaged and ready to go before they found someone who would release it for them in the states ..... but thats what we need more of ..and not just for blacks but for the latinos,asians mid eastern cats as well ...
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It still amazes me how some people are actually coming up with excuses for Hollywood clear racist tactics. I mean systematically capping off "Black" Productions and not funding or rarely showing any positive black images on film shows you their bias continues. When I guy like George Lucas can't get funding for Black Film, you know what time it is. I mean how does a Director that brought Billions of Dollars to the Box Office and he can't even get positive Black images on screen without a 22 year struggle and footing the bill from his own pocket. Yet "It's Business", LOL. No It's "Racism" and people need to stand up. "Red Tails" drops this weekends guys, support it.

Real talk ...i mean got damn ..hes telling you right in the interviews what the ? it is ...and cats is in here still fighting for their right to SLEEP .. i mean cmon
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »
    And anybody saying these studios are justified in not putting out movies centered around positvie black characters because of the "earning potential" issue sounds crazy and low key coonish ...hollywood puts out "indie esque" movies all the time ...movies they know wont turn a major profit (or i should say they dont expect to turn a major profit) but will get them that so desired "oscar buzz" giving these major studios that feel of still being grounded within the art of film making ...its like a mainstream rapper doing the obligatory conscious track for an album to show their still connected to the roots ... but ultimately its just some ? ...these movie studios dont want to put out certain images of black people on the whole that display us in roles more than secondary or subservient in fear of upsetting the masses loosing fanbase etc etc ...all that other ? is for the birds

On point...

Why the ? do they call this ? IC?

Because it stands for Intolerable ?

For real, the IC is overly populated with wiggers and damn black dudes thinking they white because they ? Susie

Meanwhile that ? you speak of probably watched Pearl Harbor or Titantic on the low

But that ? won't watch Red Tails?

I like to slap the ? out of that ? boy...? is disgusting man

Not only do I have to watch out for racist ass white folks

I gotta check the modern day ? ? who cheesing like its christmas, while tap dancing to bing crosby...

? these Oprah ass ? ...they ? made and sold out

I sware to you since the invasion of phat ? white girls, 9/11 and lil wayne

these ? have no shame of being a bonafide ? ass...

I wouldn't give a ? if the KKK hung em

You not on my side anyway, ? ...
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well sadly "Red Tails" didn't break the box office but it did make close to 50 Million making it one of the highest grossing "War" films ever. Sadly though Hollywood will continue to be racist and tell George they were right since "Red Tails" didn't do better. The movie was pretty good beside the lame side love story, outside of that the action and flying scene's were dope. The acting was so/so, Terrence and Cuba were over acting like crazy. But I did enjoy the movie. I think it will do pretty well on DVD and you know BET will be playing it like they do "Notorious", lol.