Was "Star Wars: Episode I" really that Bad? Or did it get Unjust Hate?

Options
rapmastermind
rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
30 days from now on 2/10/12 some 13 years after it was released, the polarizing yet successful "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" will be released in theaters in 3D. Called by some the worst entry in the Star Wars Saga will have a chance to prove if it stood the test of time when people get a chance to watch it on the Big Screen again. Sure the Star Wars fanbase is so massive that it may be a success no matter what. But when I look back when I saw this, I personally enjoyed the experience. Yes, Jar Jar is the worst Star Wars Character in History and sure the dialog in spots was terrible. But the movie itself was actually not that bad. 1st Liam Neson played a great Jedi Master, Ewan Mcgregor played a great young Obi Won. The Pod Race was off the chain and a very excited sequence. The Final space battle was kinda weak. Darth Maul is one of the most beloved Star Wars characters even though he was only in this 1 film. Many Fans were upset that Lucas didn't capitalize on such a great character and expand his story. Also the Light Saber battle at the end is arguable the best of the entire series. In my opinion I enjoyed Episode I and will check it out in 3D. I think "Episode II' is the worst entry in the franchise, Haden Christianson's acting was horrible and ruined it for me. Worldwide, "Episode I" still remains the highest grossing entry in the series and one of the highest grossing movies in the united states of all time.

qui-gon-jinn-darth-maul.jpg

Star Wars Best to Worst:

A New Hope (Without this movie there is no Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back (Acting and Quality wise it's probably the best but it felt incomplete since it was the middle Film)
Return of the Jedi (Every 80's baby loved this movie religiously)
Revenge of the Sith (The Best of the prequel Trilogy)
The Phantom Menace (Brought a whole new generation to Star Wars)
Attack of the Clones (Very inconsistent, Yoda getting down saved the movie)

Comments

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Not as bad as the second one... but it was average...

the plot was bad...
    the podracing was too long...
    not enough Darth Maul
    and they ? up the meaning of the force...imo

The fight seens was GOAT tho... (behind Episode 3)
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options

I personally think Darth Maul is the sickest Sith next to Vader. He was worth the price of admission alone.
  • ocelot
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Maul brought back the hoodie...

and he had the GOAT song
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Maul brought back the hoodie...

and he had the GOAT song

Co-sign, "Duel of Fates" is clearly one of the best pieces of music in the entire Star Wars Saga. John Williams crushed the bulidings with that song, outside of the opening credits and Darth Vader Theme, what's more epic than that song?:

• dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thought it was bad, but it looked really good minus the costumed green trade federation guys (Seems like they wouldve been better off going with CGI for those guys too). Some great action, and liked the world getting fleshed out. Really appreciated seeing the whole council etc. But the acting and jar-jar(the gungans in general) really took me out of it. Can't look past the movie being so damn goofy either. That was probably my biggest problem with it. Everybody/thing telling a ? joke plus some of the dialogue feeling modern. Expectations were high too, so I'm pretty sure that's where most of the hate comes from. Didn't help that they focused so much on the kid considering he was trash. Could've spent that time on ::insert a badass jedi::

Did give us Duel of the Fates though, so that's a big plus for it.
  • m. inferno
    m. inferno Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    never ever seen a Star Wars movie before....
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I was never a huge fan of star wars. Cant remember the original trilogy too well. But i thought Maul was cool. Episode 1 is the first star wars i can remember all the way thru. I didnt get the hype for it but it was worth the watch imo. Episode 2 i hated because anikin is such a cry baby ? , i hate the guy that plays him. it made me not watch revenge of the sith, which i heard was bad ass.

Like the poster above, Yoda's fight in Attack of The Clones is the only thing that made that movie cool.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    as far as seeing the movie in 3d i dont think i will because im not a huge fan of 3d films either. i think people focus too much on whats coming out of the screen instead of the story and scenes themselves.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i fuckinnnnnnnnnnnnnn love star wars.... i got all 6 on blue ray.

episode 1 was not that bad, and was the best one out, as far as story line goes in the prequel,

the second one sucked ass, that ? went south after Ankain N Obi-Wan was in the council and got their separate missions... That ? is TURRIBLE acting wise, it's like ? tried 2 get their 2pac on n film this movie in under a month...

episode 3 was the dopest STAR WARS movie , Revenge of the sith = Empire Strikes Back >>> The Return Of The Jedi, New Hope...

"Return Of The Jedi" went south after they Encountered Them Chubby ass Furry ? ,
    "New Hope" was the most cohesive from beginning to End, but overall compared to number 5, and 3 it's Eh

and the thing i hate about the Prequel was that they made the force look weak ass hell, in the trilogy their was only 3-4 jedi's ,and they all were either old ass hell or in experience, so it's understandable, but in the prequel the jedi was in full effect, n yet ? couldn't see anything cuz "the dark side clouds all", then they wonder why anakin joined the dark side.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    as far as seeing the movie in 3d i dont think i will because im not a huge fan of 3d films either. i think people focus too much on whats coming out of the screen instead of the story and scenes themselves.

most time the movie BARLEY uses any 3d, only during selected ?
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's better than episodes 2 and 6 to me personally. Also Duel of the Fates = GOAT movie music ever. If you try to argue that point just shut the ? up before you make a fool out of yourself. I can listen to that song taking a ? and it would make that ? an EPIC experience.
  • untouchable1
    untouchable1 Members Posts: 69
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Not as bad as the second one... but it was average...

the plot was bad...
    the podracing was too long...
    not enough Darth Maul
    and they ? up the meaning of the force...imo

The fight seens was GOAT tho... (behind Episode 3)

What do you mean by that?
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Im a big fan of all 6 of the movies
  • Bender Rodriguez
    Bender Rodriguez Members Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The attack of the clones cartoon series should have been made into a 3 part movie
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

I personally think Darth Maul is the sickest Sith next to Vader. He was worth the price of admission alone.

This battle and Obi-Wan vs Anakin in Episode III are definitely the best in the entire series.

Ray Park (the actor who played Darth Maul) is a GREAT martial artist/stunt man
  • ocelot
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The attack of the clones cartoon series should have been made into a 3 part movie

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    episode II is by far the worse..
    the only reason i havent picked up the 1-3 BluRay pack..
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Check out the 3D posters, came out kinda dope:

65866__star-wars-the-phantom-menace-3d-poster_400x618.jpg

65866__phantom-menace-3d-poster-darth-maul-spotlight_400x618.jpg

This was my favorite poster when it dropped back in 99 looks like a kid luke but it's Vader as a child, I was so hype for the movie when I saw this poster for the 1st time:

208.jpg
  • untouchable1
    untouchable1 Members Posts: 69
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I think he means they got all scientific with it in Episode I, before it was mostly dealing with nature and life. But I thought it was cool cause it gave more explaination of it. I never went into the Prequels expecting them to Top the originals, I grew up on the Originals but what I did want from the prequels was to show stories of the Clone wars that Luke was talking to Obiwon about. Stuff you only heard about as kid. So for me they did their job, could they have been better? sure, Lucas knows he could of done a better job but it is what it is, they were never topping the originals to me.

Oh I see what you mean. It became about midichlorian count, and not knowledge/wisdom.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

This was my favorite poster when it dropped back in 99 looks like a kid luke but it's Vader as a child, I was so hype for the movie when I saw this poster for the 1st time:

208.jpg
    one of the best movie posters
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    To be honest episodes 1&2 are the only ones I haven't watched more than once, but I don't remember ep 1 being terrible. I'll go check out the 3d joint when it comes out tho.
  • ocelot
    edited January 2012
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »

sums up what i been thinking for a while
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Oh I see what you mean. It became about midichlorian count, and not knowledge/wisdom.
    I'm not sure if they really changed anything about the Force in the newer movies..they only discussed the midichlorian count because Annakin had such a high number and there was a prophecy for such a person..both the Jedi and the Sith knew of the prophecy, IIRC, the Emperor was telling Anny about a previous Sith Lord responsible for his creation...Only select individuals could be Force users anyway and the mid-count was just explaining the criteria..

I like all of the films..i didn't expect the newer movies to be as epic as the first 3 but that's just because they were bonafide classics.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I agree: The Phantom Menace hate is very undeserved.

I loved this movie; in fact, it turned me on to the Star Wars saga as a whole.

The Darth Maul vs. Obi & Qui-Gon fight HAS to be the GOAT of all the Star Wars fight...that was the only fight where it looked like real prep was put in (other than the Vader/Obi-Won fight at the end of Episode III)

Plus, Duel of the Fates is not to be ? with....