Was MJ a fruad or was he paying homage

Options
mr.man
mr.man Members Posts: 21
edited June 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
I came across this movie called the little prince. This movie ws made in 1973 and Billy Jean came out around 1980. Micheal used all of this guy moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlEBhGgEe0

I tried to embed it but couldnt

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    mr.man wrote: »
    I came across this movie called the little prince. This movie ws made in 1973 and Billy Jean came out around 1980. Micheal used all of this guy moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlEBhGgEe0

I tried to embed it but couldnt

when you click quick reply or post reply, the little strip of film you see on the tool bar above the writing box, thats how you embed. You just paste that link you had, into the box it asks you to after you click it.

I'll get back to this later..
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Um michael pulled influneces all throughout music.. and other performance/art. ... congratulations colombus. you just "discovered" North America
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited June 2010
    Options
    He used some. Either way, what's fraudulent? Everyone knows he didn't create the Moonwalk. He just made it popular. I've never heard of this Bob Fosse guy though. (I now know who he is and what he does. Good look.)

Its choreography. He took some moves, added his own and the ones that were the same he did differently. I don't see it as paying homage nor stealing. They're dance moves. Now if he did exactly what Bob Fosse did in that movie then I might feel differently. It is obvious that this dude influenced him like many others such as James Brown and Jackie Wilson.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's called swagger jacking and being ? GOOD at it...
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    lol so THIS is why he started climbing trees
  • Craig Robinson
    edited June 2010
    Options
    lol so THIS is why he started climbing trees

AND going after little white kids

damn, it all makes sense now
  • Craig Robinson
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Micheal Jackson was inspired by James Brown( The most robbed entertainer of all time). He even said it while crying, presenting Brown with an award at the B.E.T awards. Could he of gotten somethings from this, sure. The same way Elvis Presley was ripping of James Brown and other Blacks his whole damn career. The thing about this film is that the guy lacks rythm a whole lot.

from what i can see, james brown was definitely his biggest influence as a dancer in his younger years (all the way through off the wall)

but from that point on, bob fosse was obviously the blueprint

his dancing in billie jean and at the motown 25th anniversary special looks nothing like james brown
  • mr.man
    edited June 2010
    Options
    from what i can see, james brown was definitely his biggest influence as a dancer in his younger years (all the way through off the wall)

but from that point on, bob fosse was obviously the blueprint

his dancing in billie jean and at the motown 25th anniversary special looks nothing like james brown

exactly. These moves made Michael unique from other singers and performers. The tap dance, ballet moves made him unique.
  • mr.man
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Um michael pulled influneces all throughout music.. and other performance/art. ... congratulations colombus. you just "discovered" North America

I know that artists are influence by other art. For years, I assumed Micheal took different types of arts and made it his own. Micheal even used the guy flooding pants and shoes into his act. Micheal is and will always be the G.O.A.T , but to take moves and used them as your signature moves changed my thinking of how unique and orginal he really was.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mike always said that he was influenced by other artists, he use to watch movies and study them.
    He was a fan of Charlie Chaplin and learned from him too, he was just a universal artist, he loved all types of artists and music.
    Mike did what Usher, Chris Brown, Omarion and any other dancing R&B singers didn't do, he went outside the box and learned from more than just black performers.
    Usher studied Mike, James Brown and Bobby Brown, Chris Brown studied Mike and Usher, same with Omarion.
    This is what made Mike unique he put ballet, jazz, ball room dancing, pop locking, street dancing, classical dance, tap dancing and his own style together to make the magic that he made. Nobody else was thinking of doing that because most ? was thinking that it was ? to do ballet and classical dancing.
    Nobody can take that away from him, he made all those dances popular and it gave room for street dancers to become choreographers because Mike used them and look at what he became. Record Companies started using Street Choreographers because Mike made it popular.
    Elvis Presley took from Chuck Berry, James Brown, Jackie Wilson and Sammy Davis Jr but, he is considered the best. How is it he can blatantly use black performers moves and make it his own but, Mike can't use white performers moves?
    So I guess now people are going to say he wasn't original? To be honest, nobody is original, everybody had someone that they looked up to and used their moves, this will not take away from Mike's Legacy because he was one of a kind and his moves wasn't the only thing about him, he made classic records!
  • Craig Robinson
    edited June 2010
    Options
    props to the t/s for the video
  • Reina B
    Reina B Members Posts: 2,190 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Michael mastered several compilations of dances and made them his own.
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited June 2010
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    Mike always said that he was influenced by other artists, he use to watch movies and study them.
    He was a fan of Charlie Chaplin and learned from him too, he was just a universal artist, he loved all types of artists and music.
    Mike did what Usher, Chris Brown, Omarion and any other dancing R&B singers didn't do, he went outside the box and learned from more than just black performers.
    Usher studied Mike, James Brown and Bobby Brown, Chris Brown studied Mike and Usher, same with Omarion.
    This is what made Mike unique he put ballet, jazz, ball room dancing, pop locking, street dancing, classical dance, tap dancing and his own style together to make the magic that he made. Nobody else was thinking of doing that because most ? was thinking that it was ? to do ballet and classical dancing.
    Nobody can take that away from him, he made all those dances popular and it gave room for street dancers to become choreographers because Mike used them and look at what he became. Record Companies started using Street Choreographers because Mike made it popular.
    Elvis Presley took from Chuck Berry, James Brown, Jackie Wilson and Sammy Davis Jr but, he is considered the best. How is it he can blatantly use black performers moves and make it his own but, Mike can't use white performers moves?
    So I guess now people are going to say he wasn't original? To be honest, nobody is original, everybody had someone that they looked up to and used their moves, this will not take away from Mike's Legacy because he was one of a kind and his moves wasn't the only thing about him, he made classic records!

Damn. That was well put. When you look at in written form you see that what he did was the equivalent of traveling the world and putting people up on different cultures. He bought what he had discovered straight to your living room. Kinda like the dancing and traveling in the Black & White video. Exactly like that actually.

All those people are great in their own right but they didn't do what Mike did. Which was It All. He did what they had done but they did not do what he had done.
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    south4life wrote: »

Very well put...don't forget Fred Astaire as one of his influences. A lot of Fred in MJ. RIP