Supreme Court has overturned Chicago's handgun ban. Muggings soon to decrease.

Options
KTULU IS BACK
KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Social Lounge
The U.S. Supreme Court has sent the city of Chicago's long-debated ban on handgun ownership back to a lower court, and ruled in favor of a nationwide right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.

The Supreme Court issued the 5-4 ruling Monday morning in McDonald v. Chicago, which challenged handgun bans in the city of Chicago and in Oak Park.

In the ruling, the court "reversed and remanded" McDonald v. Chicago, which sends the ruling back to a lower court.

Earlier this month, Second City Cop quoted a Chicago Tribune story that estimates there is a handgun in more than 100,000 Chicago homes despite the ban, in many cases by otherwise law-abiding residents.

"100,000? We're going to go out on a limb here and label that number the low end of the spectrum," Second City Cop said. "And once the Supremes come down with their ruling and once the summer really gets cranking, we're going to call 500,000 a very low estimate as decent people who were only hesitating over the misdemeanor charge for 'Failure to Register' take advantage of the change to finally buy a gun or upgrade."

A theory advanced by former University of Chicago professor John Lott says the crime rate drops when criminals are deterred by the possibility of confronting an armed victim. Lott also claimed the Chicago gun ban was to blame for an increase in crime.

http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/chicago.handgun.ban.2.1776386.html

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hell no but get ready for the lawsuit from gun advocate to go up. They are already talking about suing to bring theyre gun into a church.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    "100,000? We're going to go out on a limb here and label that number the low end of the spectrum," Second City Cop said. "And once the Supremes come down with their ruling and once the summer really gets cranking, we're going to call 500,000 a very low estimate as decent people who were only hesitating over the misdemeanor charge for 'Failure to Register' take advantage of the change to finally buy a gun or upgrade."

aw man, there's gonna be 500,000 armed gangbangers roaming the streets? that's not good
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    gangbangers dont register their guns
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    gangbangers dont register their guns

Yes they do. That's why gun control laws are incredibly effective at disarming street gangs. Just look at Los Angeles.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Good move, banning the ability to own a legal weapon does nothing to decrease gang violence. Lil Tyreke from GD aint go to the hardware store or ? shop and buy his gun legally. This law will give those not involved in the ? the chance to re-arm themselves and protect their family.
  • Tommy Billfiger
    Tommy Billfiger Banned Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    YES my ?

Tommy B smash fools bash fools ? mad cuz they know the cash rules, everything around me 2 GLOCK 9'S any ? ? whisperin about mines and I and I'm Chi towns finest

pg30_9.gif

I've been waitin for this moment my whole life
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    *shoots Janklow
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    *shoots Janklow

janklow probably eats frosted kevlar for breakfast

you're just gonna make him mad
  • the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Good move, banning the ability to own a legal weapon does nothing to decrease gang violence. Lil Tyreke from GD aint go to the hardware store or ? shop and buy his gun legally. This law will give those not involved in the ? the chance to re-arm themselves and protect their family.

co-sign all the way
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    guys, it's not like i run out into the street and start dancing the second a decision like this hap- yeah, okay, ? it, that is exactly what i do
    *shoots Janklow
    stupid DarcSkies and his inalienable right to shoot janklow
    you're just gonna make him mad
    just so long as my death is not used to pass gun control legislation... that's all that matters