Are Jay-Z and Nas responsible for the current state of hip-hop

Options
And_So_It_Burns
And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in The Reason
After Pac and Big died everyone looked up to these two to take the reigns of hip-hop, lead the next generation, set the trends and call out wack ? etc. Well did they do a good job? Can we hold them responsible for being leaders and guiding the general direction of hip-hop?

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Not really. 2 people cant be held responsible for ALL of Hip Hop.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    it's our fault for letting bs slide. it's just like the ? the gov't get's away with. if we stop co signing bs the game would be better but until that happens we'll get dudes like french montana and 2 chains gettng fought over by labels and dudes like saigon just get left in limbo.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    No..Nas and Jay are not responsible for the extreme faggotry that's in the current state of Hip Hop.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    edited January 2012
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Not really. 2 people cant be held responsible for ALL of Hip Hop.

well yeah obviously but did they lead us in the right direction. There was a huge void after Pac and B.I died people looked up to them for guidence. The reason why I ask this is because some people say No Limit/Cash Money etc would have never started if Pac and Big were alive
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    well yeah obviously but did they lead us in the right direction. There was a huge void after Pac and B.I died people looked up to them for guidence. The reason why I ask this is because some people say No Limit/Cash Money etc would have never started if Pac and Big were alive

Not true at all...No Limit/Cash Money been making noise.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Jay and Nas gave birth to all the beef that went down from 02-08 and making rappers think that beefing would bring more success.

Kanye gave birth to the suburban rapper rapping about suburban things.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Not true at all...No Limit/Cash Money been making noise.

yeah but I'm sure you would concede that they're potential wasn't realized until after 97
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    it's our fault for letting bs slide. it's just like the ? the gov't get's away with. if we stop co signing bs the game would be better but until that happens we'll get dudes like french montana and 2 chains gettng fought over by labels and dudes like saigon just get left in limbo.

Soon to be slept on post.

Smh at Jay-z and Nas being on some world's finest ? .
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Jay and Nas gave birth to all the beef that went down from 02-08 and making rappers think that beefing would bring more success.

Kanye gave birth to the suburban rapper rapping about suburban things.

i can't agree with you on that cause 50 took that to a whole different level, nas and jay numbers didn't change much from what they were sellng b4 the beef fif blew that ish out the water. hell if he didnt have back down on that album i was gonna get it
  • stealthbomber
    stealthbomber Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    pitbull and lil jon are responsible for the current state of hip hop. ever since "get low" dropped hip hop has become party music, anything intellectual is frowned upon. but thats starting to change, slowly but steadily
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Nas and Jay no longer have pull like they use to. Wayne and Kanye took their spot.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lil Waynes 3rd reincarnation (Post Carter II) is to blame for current rap
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    pitbull and lil jon are responsible for the current state of hip hop. ever since "get low" dropped hip hop has become party music, anything intellectual is frowned upon. but thats starting to change, slowly but steadily

The bolded sums up this thread.
  • Wild Self
    edited January 2012
    Options

I keep telling everyone, Lil Jon started that non lyrical Hip Hop ? from 03 and Waka Flocka unofficially ended it in 2009. 03-09 was the dark ages of lyricism since the most 1 hit wonders emerged from that era. J Cole brought Hip Hop out of it and we have been gradually rising out of it since. And Record sales from the new lyrical artists have gradually risen too.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    I keep telling everyone, Lil Jon started that non lyrical Hip Hop ? from 03 and Waka Flocka unofficially ended it in 2009. 03-09 was the dark ages of lyricism since the most 1 hit wonders emerged from that era. J Cole brought Hip Hop out of it and we have been gradually rising out of it since. And Record sales from the new lyrical artists have gradually risen too.

I grew up in the worst era of hip hop ever. I remember when Lupe debuted wit "Kick Push" and he was shunned and laughed at becuz he was lyrical and would skateboard. If Lupe had debuted in 2010/2011, he would've blew up even more than he did and he would'nt had stood out so much.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    "Ya'll appointed me to bring rap justice, but no I'm not 5-0, ya'll know it's Nas yo"---- Nas, "Made You Look"

I think Nas and Jay Z understood their positions, but they also knew that they could not control what people chose to listen to.
  • Wild Self
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I grew up in the worst era of hip hop ever. I remember when Lupe debuted wit "Kick Push" and he was shunned and laughed at becuz he was lyrical and would skateboard. If Lupe had debuted in 2010/2011, he would've blew up even more than he did and he would'nt had stood out so much.

If Lupe dropped in 2002, he would have cheered. Or if (like you said) dropped in 2011 with his debut, people would call him the second coming of Christ. That party 808s type music that many of the southern one hit wonders made (no offense) was the enemy of creativity in this rap ? . Timing is also important on what kind of music you plan to drop, too.

Someone should make a thread about that dark era of Hip Hop.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

damn homie who the ? are you to take shots at no limit and cash money. master p built a company like no other in the history of the rap game before or since. p had complete control and ownership of no limit. when everyone else has happy to get a production deal with a major and taking upfront cash p took the longterm view, turned down upfront bonuses, and had 100% control of no limit records. while ? like puff was washing andre harrell's car and happy to be arista/clive davis hip hop ? child p stood on his own and pocketed every dime that no limit ever made. he had a pure distribution deal and no white man touched a dime of master p's money.

i cant understand these fake ass east coast hip hop purist ass ? who talk ? about cash money records and ride ? -z and diddy's ? like these corny ass comericialized ass ? didnt spend a decade plus rapping about cars hoes and clothes. ? hatin ass hypocrites. smh
  • Stew
    edited January 2012
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    damn homie who the ? are you to take shots at no limit and cash money. master p built a company like no other in the history of the rap game before or since. p had complete control and ownership of no limit. when everyone else has happy to get a production deal with a major and taking upfront cash p took the longterm view, turned down upfront bonuses, and had 100% control of no limit records. while ? like puff was washing andre harrell's car and happy to be arista/clive davis hip hop ? child p stood on his own and pocketed every dime that no limit ever made. he had a pure distribution deal and no white man touched a dime of master p's money.

i cant understand these fake ass east coast hip hop purist ass ? who talk ? about cash money records and ride ? -z and diddy's ? like these corny ass comericialized ass ? didnt spend a decade plus rapping about cars hoes and clothes. ? hatin ass hypocrites. smh

LOL. Their music was ass tho.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

Not all of it
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

i think ? -z and wu tang music is ass. whats ur point?
  • Stew
    edited January 2012
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Not all of it

Well since they put out 1561818 albums, your right not all of it.
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    i think ? -z and wu tang music is ass. whats ur point?

No point. Just my 2 cents
  • stealthbomber
    edited January 2012
    Options
    well if yall tryna get real deep the majors are responsible for all of it. major labels are the money hungry sniveling muthafuckas who ruined our culture for the benefit of their wallets. they put lil jon on, they continue to let wack rappers into a game thats meant for only the best of the best.

charlagmange said it best, 90s hip hop was like the nba, technically sound and professional. since 03-04 its become and 1, ? off the streets get a chance to do something that a practiced lyricist should be doing, some are good while most are pretty bad.
  • Stew
    edited January 2012
    Options
    well if yall tryna get real deep the majors are responsible for all of it. major labels are the money hungry sniveling muthafuckas who ruined our culture for the benefit of their wallets. they put lil jon on, they continue to let wack rappers into a game thats meant for only the best of the best.

charlagmange said it best, 90s hip hop was like the nba, technically sound and professional. since 03-04 its become and 1, ? off the streets get a chance to do something that a practiced lyricist should be doing, some are good while most are pretty bad.

Lets not forget about these fans who are buying and participating in the faggotry going on.
  • stealthbomber
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lets not forget about these fans who are buying and participating in the faggotry going on.

lol well damn its everybodys fault. the artists created it, the majors pushed it, and we (hip hop fans as a whole) bought it.