America’s Most Miserable City

Options
illword
illword Members Posts: 11
edited July 2010 in The Social Lounge
I got this from another forum, the guy goes, " I found this article a lil' funny but true, the funny part is that if you visit Cleveland, Ohio you would think folks were doing very well." He goes on & says, "Not him of course, but everyone else are driving new cars & even though there are a lot of homes with a for sale sign up you wouldn't think Cleveland economy is bad blacks, whites, Latinos, asians & Indians appear to be doing very well for themselves." Than he goes on to say, "How could Cleveland, Ohio be the poorest city?" He knows why & said so many times before just what's wrong with Cleveland but he didn't want to sound like a hatter." Than he goes on to say, "besides, no one believes him when he says middle class is shrinking," nobody believes his reason why.
According to Forbes magazine, Cleveland, Ohio is now “the most miserable city” in America. In 1978 it became the first city to go into default since the Great Depression, and the present outlook for job growth and redevelopment is grim. Cleveland appears to be in a death spiral and is rapidly losing people, businesses and its middle class. Cleveland nabbed the top spot as a result of poor ratings across the board. It was the only city that fell in the bottom half of the rankings in all nine categories. Many residents are heading for greener pastures. There has been a net migration out of the Cleveland metro area of 71,000 people over the past five years. Cleveland ranked near the bottom when looking at corruption. . . On the housing front Cleveland is dealing with thousands of abandoned homes. The city also has high unemployment, high taxes and lousy weather. The city has a median household income of less than $28,000, which is far below the national average of $50,300. One out of every five homes in Cleveland stands vacant. “Cleveland was a booming city full of promise, opportunity and people.” It was the sixth-largest city in 1950, and its growth rate was impressive in the decade after World War II. It had a business-friendly climate, and was home to many of the nation’s leading corporations. Today the city’s population is less than half of what it was in its prime. The population has shrunk from almost one million to 450,000. It also ranks as one of the poorest big cities, and is now broke.
What’s The Matter With Cleveland?

The city has many problems but the most significant is that high taxes and burdensome regulations make it nearly impossible for new businesses to be established, or for existing companies to thrive. The pleas of the corporate community to cut taxes, simplify zoning laws and reduce red tape have been ignored.

The public schools are failing and only 12% of them merit a rating of excellent or even effective by the state of Ohio. This has happened despite spending $14,000/year on every student. All parents who can afford it have been fleeing to the suburbs for decades.

Cleveland is tied with Birmingham, Alabama as the most racially segregated city in the nation.

He cut this article down from it's original form so it can fit the thread.
Here is the whole article: http://diplomatdc.wordpress.com/2010/03/18/whats-the-matter-with-cleveland-americas-most-miserable-city-by-gregory-hilton/

Comments

• the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    cleveland?

BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA!!!!!

they bout to be more miserable after lebron leaves
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's philly cause the eagles can't win a superbowl
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Pittsburgh is more miserable than philly and they got plenty of superbowl wins. Pittsburgh sucks so much ? , I imagine those superbowls are the thing keepin everyone there from committing suicide.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Pittsburgh is more miserable than philly and they got plenty of superbowl wins. Pittsburgh sucks so much ? , I imagine those superbowls are the thing keepin everyone there from committing suicide.

Lol PA is just one big ? hole I guess
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? from Dayton move to Cleveland for a better life
    SMDH
  • xtraill
    xtraill Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? yall ?

What he said, ? ya'll ? !!!!!!

Probably ain't never been to Pittsburgh!
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's philly cause the eagles can't win a superbowl

fall back son

Kolb to the rescue
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Detroit houses are selling for 10% of their worth from 5 years ago. Them ? is thirsty up there.

I'd say Detroit by a landslide.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    NCswag wrote: »
    Detroit houses are selling for 10% of their worth from 5 years ago. Them ? is thirsty up there.

I'd say Detroit by a landslide.

Yeah, my professor was saying those houses are selling for dirt cheap up there.
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • LONDON!
    LONDON! Members Posts: 679 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    yeah i wish i could have the money right ? now to go into real estate over in the states, thats what i've been saying, the real estate game in midwest and down south and cetain cities out east is dirt cheap right now, you could make a killing right now, trust, i wish i had the capital, my cousin is doing his thing in detroit right now, stacking them real estate p's(money), that ? about detroit isn't a myth

i just have to find a ? miminum wage 9 to 5 job to to save up money, that dough and go into real estate in z(zambia in africa), plus go back to college in september this year to do a social humanties access course that will allow me to do a law degree after i've completed the course, witout any high school qualifications

i've got a second chance in life ad you best believe i will save that money from that lawyer ? and go into the real estate market in eastern europe, ? dirt cheap there too in certain places, conquer that ? then flip that ? , take them p's and go set up shop in the states, get some of that money from over there too, then try northern england after that, its cheaper there then london or the south east, but it still proper expensive to get into the real estate game over here, plus the capital gains tax stuff they put onto you, its a hard market to get into over here if you haven't got the capital on a decent big boy level, you see what i'm saying, its nuthin long, i trying to research brazil too, see if ? could pop off there too, for real like, you get me

and one of my nephews that lives over here in london used to live all over the states, included pittsburgh and from what he told me, its kinda poppin over there, its not as miserable as so called popular belief, big up the pittsburgh crew