Did Drake ? mainstream R&B?

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited February 2012 in R&B & Alternatives
Just putting it out there. I know the real R&B heads will always be hip to it, but in the mainstream area, a guy like Chris Brown can be on 5 hits and still barely survive it seems... Ne Yo gone.. Dream was a fad... Trey Songz barely alive... Lloyd who... people talk about WeekNd and Frank Ocean but outside of those two it seems to have been dead for awhile or am I crazy?

Bobby Valentino and Mario where have you been?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • charliebrowning
    charliebrowning Members Posts: 20
    Options
    It starting dying a long time ago, with Chris Brown then Omarion then the names mentioned above - Come and goer's Jeremiah [? how u spell his name], and then Bobby Valentino , T Pain, blah blah, blah, blah. I do think J Holiday's got a standard vocal, though
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well Chris Brown is kinda the main guy again now so if anyone killed it, it has to be him.
  • red_ahh
    red_ahh Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote:
    Just putting it out there. I know the real R&B heads will always be hip to it, but in the mainstream area, a guy like Chris Brown can be on 5 hits and still barely survive it seems... Ne Yo gone.. Dream was a fad... Trey Songz barely alive... Lloyd who... people talk about WeekNd and Frank Ocean but outside of those two it seems to have been dead for awhile or am I crazy?

drake isnt R&B so how did he ? it.
  • 03silverB
    03silverB Members Posts: 3
    Options
    this is just my opinion, but i think the industry systematically killed off R&B in the 90's. i remember growing up in dallas before our stations changed (for some reason) from R&B/pop and a little hiphop, to pop/hiphop and a little R&B. we went into the millennium, and saw even less of the old genre, even though neo-soul was on the rise. today, only the oldie stations play the classics, modern R&B and neo-soul now.

there are still some artists (young and old) who are trying to keep R&B alive. we still have maxwell, jill scott, john legend, chrisette michele, r.kelly, etc. the sad thing is, when their albums drop and if they are lucky enough, maybe one of their singles get played on the local radio station, but that's about it. we don't get over saturated with the good music like we do with this mindless, sex latent, rhythm & blues/rap hybrid stuff.

some of the names already posted in this thread, don't even fall into the R&b category. the industry seems like it is only interested in pushing out the next black pop sensation at the risk of killing off what's left of R&B.

once again, this is just my opinion.

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    r&b became to close to other genres, what people call r&b is hardly r&b any more
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Options
    TheJamel wrote:
    no Trey Songz/Jeremih did.
    followed shortly by The Dream.

now we got The Dream/Jermih Knock-Offs in Weeknd and Frank Ocean.

and there's a reason why bobby v's star burnt out fast.
    give it a few more years homie, you'll hear what i hear and go what the ? ?

i agree with everything except for trey songz... originally trey songz didn't have a generic sound but he wasn't blowing up to the point he has now... noticed the way the game was changing and changed his image but he does have skills though... now as far as them other cats go ? em all n/h lol
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options
    R&B merely reflects the relationships of men and women these days: pure, real, basic sexual relations. Everyone is out there clubbing to have one night stands nowadays.
  • tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote:

Bobby-V has been putting out some lackluster stuff IMO lately. It seems that he's reducing his talents to fit with what's hot right now from artists who are weak. Drake has managed to fit into the RnB mix, but how & why.....he can't sing but in one key!! This ? is because of a bunch of confused dumb-down kids and adults with childish minds who fall for whatever radio, BET, etc tells them is hot. It's sad to see this RnB in such a terrible state. There are great artist out there, but they can't get any burn because everything has to be crossed with hip-hop.

• Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote:

Solo RnB artist in the "performance" and "touring" age aren't going to do to well if they aren't able to have the total experience. You gotta have the singles, the pipes, and the choreography/sex appeal to stand out.

But I gotta disagree tho..Breezy's career got resurrected by Deuces and FAME did extremely well off of the strength of the Yeah 3x and Look At Me Now. Ne-Yo's last album was like his only dud so far and thats because Stargate didn't do the majority of the work. Trey has been doing really well these last two albums. Lloyd and The Dream are the only arguable fall offs and the Dreams 1977 mixtape was highly lauded + he's still doing song writing for high profile artists like Beyonce.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited February 2012
    Options
    you know when i want a smooth R&B track these days other than Chris brown or Trey Songz it always ends up being a Drake song, unless I'm really hip on another artist song at the time. You used to have this song and this song from all these acts, now the R&B landscape just seems dry. this is the reason why I made this thread in the first place.

And alot of R&B "acts" have gone to the techno, house, euro... or pop sound.. so i agree about the genre of R&B not even being R&B anymore... Usher & at times Chris Brown too.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote:
    you know when i want a smooth R&B track these days other than Chris brown or Trey Songz it always ends up being a Drake song, unless I'm really hip on another artist song at the time. You used to have this song and this song from all these acts, now the R&B landscape just seems dry. this is the reason why I made this thread in the first place.

And alot of R&B "acts" have gone to the techno, house, euro... or pop sound.. so i agree about the genre of R&B not even being R&B anymore... Usher & at times Chris Brown too.

Them days are gone. Old school R & B is too slow and people are just super fast paced.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    usher could still do him but he to busy doing bep records
  • 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ the dream already falling off..? is funny..it look like r&b is considered an older folks genre now all the young talent that would've been in r&b are now doin techno,autotune and all..its not looking to good right now
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote:

Solo RnB artist in the "performance" and "touring" age aren't going to do to well if they aren't able to have the total experience. You gotta have the singles, the pipes, and the choreography/sex appeal to stand out.

But I gotta disagree tho..Breezy's career got resurrected by Deuces and FAME did extremely well off of the strength of the Yeah 3x and Look At Me Now. Ne-Yo's last album was like his only dud so far and thats because Stargate didn't do the majority of the work. Trey has been doing really well these last two albums. Lloyd and The Dream are the only arguable fall offs and the Dreams 1977 mixtape was highly lauded + he's still doing song writing for high profile artists like Beyonce.

so is Ne-Yo
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.