Laptop vs Tablet

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited February 2012 in IllTek
Aight so im looking to purchase 1 of the 2 pretty soon here just not sure which way to go. Not gonna be using it for anything extravagant. Just gonna need it for Braves season to transfer audio from memory cards, taken notes, music, net and other little things. Size and weight doesnt matter as Ill be posted the majority of the time in a studio, press box or home. As far as price, Im really only trynna spend about 3-400 so not going the Apple route by any means. Anybody got any insight?

Comments

• Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'd go for a laptop no question unless you trynna take it outside with you constantly
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got a galaxy tab on saturday. I wasn't trying to jump on the tablet bandwagon but I am happy I did.
  • MrSoutCity
    Options
    Oh you need a laptop for what you are trying to do.
  • Stew
    Options
    Good lookin out fellas
  • king bloo
    king bloo Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tablets are gadgets, laptops are where real work gets done. If you want, get a convertible laptop. Asus and, I believe Dell both make them. Start out as a laptop, then flip the screen and turn it into a tablet.
  • Stew
    Options
    Convertible laptop?
  • MrSoutCity
    Options
    He talking about them tablet PCs.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HLF wrote:
    Convertible laptop?

They have them.

Check out the Asus Transformer Prime with the attachable keyboard. I am waiting on a better one.

• king bloo
    Options
    no, I'm talking about a convertible laptop (actually, a netbook)

81nUnQqfOaL._AA1500_.jpg
    71dJILG4%2BIL._AA1500_.jpg

open it like normal and it's a typical netbook, flip the screen around and close it and it's a tablet. Difference is that it runs Windows and not Android or whatever.

Dell's Inspiron Duo is a lil trickier.

Dell-Inspiron-Duo_2.jpg

the screen flips on a different axis to change it to a tablet.

Either way, you get a real computer, not some ? .
  • MrSoutCity
    Options
    king bloo wrote:
    no, I'm talking about a convertible laptop (actually, a netbook)

81nUnQqfOaL._AA1500_.jpg
    71dJILG4%2BIL._AA1500_.jpg

open it like normal and it's a typical netbook, flip the screen around and close it and it's a tablet. Difference is that it runs Windows and not Android or whatever.

Dell's Inspiron Duo is a lil trickier.

Dell-Inspiron-Duo_2.jpg

the screen flips on a different axis to change it to a tablet.

Either way, you get a real computer, not some ? .

That's what they called the tablet pc before the ipad and all them other tablets. I had one of them gateway joint back in the day.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its not an either or thing. you can't use a tablet as your primary PC. well you can if all you really want to do is watch movies and listen to music, read, play games and do photo/video editing. they may be capable of doing alot of things that a laptop can do, but they just are made for that. a tablet, ie ipad is a supplement to a laptop.

i'd recommend having both, but if i could only have one, then there is no reason to have a tablet and nothing else
  • Stew
    Options
    That Dell joint looks sick. Is it expensive? Like ipad expensive
  • Darius
    Options
    best thing ever for the tablet

hansfree-bed.jpg
  • MrSoutCity
    Options
    my samsung galaxy tab >>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Man ? Tablets!!!! Until they lower the price and increase the space a laptop is the best bet. Tablets are for people with money to waste. The only time I felt like I wanted one was when I was @ the airport, they seem like great travel devices but pointless for anything else.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CMac wrote:
    Man ? Tablets!!!! Until they lower the price and increase the space a laptop is the best bet. Tablets are for people with money to waste. The only time I felt like I wanted one was when I was @ the airport, they seem like great travel devices but pointless for anything else.

BAM! right there. my wife's tablet is amazing for that. I downloaded a dvd converter so we can play videos on it without getting on Netflix or the internet.

• Darius
    Options
    as previously stated, the tablets aren't meant to be a primary computer. if thats what you need then there is no point in buying a tablet. but if you already have a laptop then i feel like the ipad is a great additon to the arsenal. and at $500, its worth it.
  • king bloo
    Options
    I already have few laptops and a tablet is not on the radar. There's no good argument for owning one when my laptops can do everything that a tablet does and far more.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I already have few laptops and a tablet is not on the radar. There's no good argument for owning one when my laptops can do everything that a tablet does and far more.

this.......
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    king bloo wrote:
    tablets are gadgets, laptops are where real work gets done. If you want, get a convertible laptop. Asus and, I believe Dell both make them. Start out as a laptop, then flip the screen and turn it into a tablet.

I came in to say this. Tablets are ok, but to me they just aren't worth the price. If you got a smartphone, you basically have everything a tablet offers. Sure tablets are bigger, but if you're going to size up, you might as well go with something that has all the functionality. My mother in law has an iPad2. Then she bought a docking station and keyboard. I just looked at that and laughed. It's so dumb. If you needed all of that, you should have just got a laptop. Even if you didn't go the convertible route, there are tons of super thin macbooks, laptops, notebooks, etc that aren't much bigger than tablets but give you more functionality.
  • Stew
    Options
    Preciate the feedback fellas. Definitely will be going the laptop route.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darius wrote: »
    best thing ever for the tablet

hansfree-bed.jpg
    where can i get that