Marcus Garvey should be in school curriculams

H-Rap 180
H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)

Comments

• Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ? too dangerous B. David Walker needs to be in there, so does Nat Turner, Vessey, Garrett, and a whole crew of dudes to show what really means to be a goon.
  • king bloo
    king bloo Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Anything that instills a true sense of pride in black children will NOT get taught in American schools. This is why we only get the "I have a dream" MLK and not the "Poor People" MLK. It's why Malcolm X is glossed over if taught about at all. It's why Garvey is never heard of. It's why the kids are told the Black Panthers were troublemakers and we never hear about COINTELPRO's actions to destroy the party 'cause they wanted to feed hungry kids (Hoover considered this a threat to the country... feeding hungry kids???)

Same goes for Mexicans. I remember hearing about a teacher in either AZ or NM that got in trouble for teaching his students about Mexican American history.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    I teach mine about Marcus Garvey. The schools are not going to do it. Garvey represents an idea that is juxtaposed to public schools. What we need is independent schools where we can craft our own curriculum complete with our history.

Support independent schools!
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't on schools to teach it, it begins with the teacher and PARENTS, FAMILY. I had a 5 grade teacher who is black, a black female and she had pride of her culture and i remember during black history month she had Marcus Garvey picture hunged up and she ask me after class do i know who Marcus Garvey is (because the spirit never dies) and i didn't have the answer so she sit me down and give a brief introduction on Marcus Garvey not going to deep for a 5 grader but she told me things about him and i never forgot that. And also i came from a family that taught about the black hero's and africa was real strong about our history.

• Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    last semester i had a class called "Black Americans and Africa." it was taught by a white lady of course. anyways, and im not exaggerating, during the Garvey portion of the class, she focused most on his down falls and why he failed and what he did wrong. And also spent a great deal on his wife.

So when they teach it, you know they gotta do it THEIR WAY.

im still waiting on the greenlight for the Marcus Garvey movie.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A message to the people......

Lesson 1: One must never stop reading. Read everything that you can read, that is of standard knowledge. Don't waste time reading trashy literature. The idea is that personal experience is not enough for a human to get all the useful knowledge of life, because the individual life is too short, so we must feed on the experience of others.

Lesson 2: Read history incessantly until you master it. This means your own national history, the history of the world, social history, industrial history, and the history of the different sciences; but primarily, the history of man. If you do not know what went on before you came here and what is happening at the time you live, but away from you, you will not know the world and will be ignorant of the world and mankind.

Lesson 3: To be able to read intelligently, you must first be able to master the language of your country. To do this, you must be well acquainted with its grammar and the science of it. People judge you by your writing and your speech. If you write badly and incorrectly they become prejudiced towards your intelligence, and if you speak badly and incorrectly, those who hear you become disgusted and will not pay much attention to you, but in their hearts laugh after you.

Lesson 4: A leader who is to teach men and present any fact of truth to man must first be taught in his subject.

Lesson 5: Never write or speak on a subject you know nothing about, for there is always somebody who knows that particular subject to laugh at you or to ask you embarrassing questions that may make others laugh at you.

Lesson 6: You should read four hours a day. The best time to read is in the evening after you have retired from your work and after you have rested and before sleeping hours, but do so before morning, so that during your sleeping hours what you read may become subconscious, that is to say, planted in your memory.

Lesson 7: Never keep the constant company of anybody who doesn't know as much as you or (is) as educated as you, and from whom you cannot learn something from or reciprocate your learning.

Lesson 8: Continue always in the application of the things you desire educationally, culturally, or otherwise, and never give up until you reach your objective.

Lesson 9: Try never to repeat yourself in any one discourse in saying the same thing over and over again except when you are making new points, because repetition is tiresome and it annoys those who hear the repetition.

Lesson 10: Knowledge is power. When you know a thing and can hold your ground on that thing and win over your opponents on that thing, those who hear you learn to have confidence in you and will trust your ability.

Lesson 11: In reading books written by White authors, of whatever kind, be aware of the fact that they are not written for your particular benefit of your race. They always write from their own point of view and only in the interest of their own race.

Marcus Garvey
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marcus_garvey_mdm.JPG

"It is only the belief and the confidence we have in a ? why man is able to understand his own
    social institutions, and move and live like a rational human being. Take away the highest ideal:
    faith and confidence in a ? , and mankind at large is reduced to savagery and the race
    destroyed."
This discussion has been closed.