LeBron Believes Rose Has 'Evolved' Point Guard Play

Jdilla26
Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
LeBron James believes Derrick Rose has changed the point guard position.

"It's amazing, honestly," James said on Friday afternoon. "Derrick has definitely evolved the point guard position. He's doing it; him and Russell [Westbrook] are two guys with speed, athleticism, can score, can pass, can jump, can do everything at the point guard position. I think D-Rose from end to end, is probably one of the fastest, quickest guys that we have with the ball in our game. It's always exciting to get out there with him."

Dwyane Wade sees some of himself in Rose.

"I see a lot of the things I did when I was younger, probably on a little bit more athletic of a level with him," Wade said. "But I do see the things that he does and I'll be like, 'Man, I used to do that.' or 'Man, I've done that before.' But he does it at another notch up than even when I did it. He's so athletic and he's so fast. ... We're going to compete against each other. We're going to play against each other, but from Chicago, in a sense I'm proud to say that we're from the same place. And the person that he is as well. That kid right there, he's going to be a star in this league for many years to come. He's an unbelievable talent."

Via ESPNChicago.com

This definitely is a guard's league for now

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Rose is along the same vein as a Marbury, Francis, AI,

but a better player more coachable.
  • Jdilla26
    He doesnt have to lead the league with statistics like assist he flat makes his team better the Bulls were a 8th seed the year b4 last year then last year became the #1 seed. Who thought that was going to happen ?
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    No.

^^^ That.

Rose will be a solid player in the league for years to come due to the fact that he has a good attitude, work ethic, and drive.

Marbury, Francis, etc all fizzled out when injuries and/or lack of work ethic slowed them down.

I honestly feel like Rose does what he does because of the situation he's in. He's surrounded by role players and he's the only true scorer on the floor. If they had a couple more scorers or different sets (like more Pick & Roll with Helmet Head)
    he could be that pass-1st/score-2nd dude.

Kinda like the Michael Vick of the NBA. His passing stats ain't always cute, but he can do what all the other passers do, but they can't do what he does.
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 wrote:
    He doesnt have to lead the league with statistics like assist he flat makes his team better the Bulls were a 8th seed the year b4 last year then last year became the #1 seed. Who thought that was going to happen ?

NO

The bulls went from a 8 seed to a 1 seed cuz Of tom Thibs D

In 2010 bulls were the #1 rebounding team and rose put up similar numbers and the bulls were 41-41,their Defense was nowhere as good thats why.Rose took more shots last year + Tom T's Defense and Thibs makes them play hard Every single game is why they improved

Be objective and stop being a stacey king clone

WTF?? Thibs gets credit......... But Rose gets no credit when his game improved what are u talking about FG% went up scoring went up his game improved all-around became a clutch player. You can give Thibs credit b/c he deserves it but lets not act like Rose has nothing to do with it.........B/C Thibs doesnt get Coach of the Year w/o Rose being on the floor

With averages of 25 points, 7.7 assists and 4.1 rebounds, Rose became the seventh player in NBA history to post averages of at least 25 points, 7.5 assists and four rebounds in a single season. He joined heavyweights Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Dwyane Wade and LeBron James.

Rose also became the fifth player — and first point guard — to post 2,000 points, 600 assists and 300 rebounds in the same season, again joining elite company in Robertson, Jordan, James and John Havlicek.

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Yea until The King yokes him up wit the game on the line again

This is propaganda

Chris Paul and Deron williams are better Point guards than rose

Rose is a more dynamic player

Its F'd up how Pg's like nash,paul and D will who have all averaged 10.6-11.6 assists per game for multiple seasons get overlooked and rose never did it once
    This. Rose will probably never get close to 10 assists in his career. Numbers wise was has he done even equal to A.I.? A.I. put up the same number of assists, rebounds, shooting percentage and far more points and rebounds.

21.9 PPG - 49.5% - 11.3 AST - 4.8 REB - 2.7 STL CP3 in consecutive seasons from 07-09 (158 GMs)
    24.3 PPG - 44.9% - 7.7 AST - 3.9 REB - 1.0 STL Rose the last two seasons (106 GMs)

Not even close.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Jdilla26 wrote:
    WTF?? Thibs gets credit......... But Rose gets no credit when his game improved what are u talking about FG% went up scoring went up his game improved all-around became a clutch player. You can give Thibs credit b/c he deserves it but lets not act like Rose has nothing to do with it.........B/C Thibs doesnt get Coach of the Year w/o Rose being on the floor
    His FG% went drastically down cause he's shooting way too many 3's.
  • Jdilla26
    When has Nash Paul or even Williams been overlooked ? Didnt Nash win 2 MVP's Paul is a MVP candidate this year b/c he's on a very good team. DWill is on one of the worst teams in the league hasnt been playing like hisself until he played Lin the 2nd time.
  • Jdilla26
    [/quote]

Nah homeboy his fg% went down and his shot attempts went up

stop googling irrelevant stats duke, in the playoffs rose shot 39%

bulls fans never want to hear the truth they just wanna be on that stacey king dickridin "he's too fast,too strong too good he's the mvp from chicago" ?

rose is a great player but the bulls D and beating a bunch of non playoff teams was why they overachieved last year

When they faced a superior team they lost and deron williams had ? ,brewer and korver with career high numbers in utah

[/quote]

SMH they won 62 games last year So Im pretty sure they beat more then non playoff teams He shot 39% in the playoffs b/c he has to take shots @ the end of the shot clock alot it isnt b/c he bad shooter. Look @ DWill now he's shooting 41% not b/c he's bad shooter b/c he has to create @ the end of shot clock for the Nets. its all about situations it doesnt matter though Rose and the Bulls still got ECF. whats the deal with you and stacey king quotes SMH.
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Jdilla26 wrote:

NO

The bulls went from a 8 seed to a 1 seed cuz Of tom Thibs D

In 2010 bulls were the #1 rebounding team and rose put up similar numbers and the bulls were 41-41,their Defense was nowhere as good thats why.Rose took more shots last year + Tom T's Defense and Thibs makes them play hard Every single game is why they improved

Be objective and stop being a stacey king clone

FALSE
    In Rose's MVP year, he averaged almost 2 more assists, he improved his 3 point % and he averaged 5 more points per game.
    Yes, Thibs is a huge reason they got the #1 seed, also we can't overlook the improvement of Rose's game and contributions from key role players(Taj, Deng, to an lesser extent ? ).

I do agree that Rose is not the best point guard, CP3 and D-Will are better at running an offense. D-Rose is more D-Wade than point guard.
  • ROFL..GUY
    ROFL..GUY Members Posts: 225
    westbrook >> rose

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Wasnt the bulls still one of the best rebounding teams before thibs got there? i may be wrong. idk
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL..GUY wrote:
    westbrook >> rose

Lies ....but anyways as far as what lebron said ...i dont think its all that deep ...rose and westbrook are probably the most physically gifted PG's the leauge has ever seen ..and they are revolutionizing what the traditional concept of PG play ...so its not really anything crazy being said ..he's not saying rose is better than player x,y,z ..hes just saying his style/physical gifts are changing whats been accepted at that spot
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Not playing like a pure point guard shouldn't b regarded as revolutionary... These type of guards make up for their lack of pg skills with scoring and athleticism ...

there was a point in time where dunking wasn't considered "pure" basketball ... everything evolves playboii
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    and what "pg skills" dose rose lack?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Evolution implies improvement... Deemphasizing running an offense does not constitute evolution... Don't get it twisted, I think Rose is awesome... He ain't doing ? that's revolutionary though

he doesnt run the offense?? lol ..what are you really saying player...
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Dizzel3000 wrote:
    and what "pg skills" dose rose lack?

He dont lack pg skills

But Chris Paul and Deron williams are better at every aspect(except dunking/acrobatic shots) and been doin it longer

Nash too

But Rose gets all the hype.He aint a better PG than them

Rose my boy but the media(especially this dickriding chicago media) overrate him at times cuz its a lot of pg's just as good

Has CP3 or Deron ever lead their teams to the best record in the NBA?? dont you think that just mayyyyyyyybe ..that has something to do with any attention Rose got last year?? ...
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate how everyone forgets about Steve Francis, Rose nd Westbrook aint the first athletic point guards. Francis was the 1st point guard gettin oops thrown to him to the regular. Francis averaged 21ppg 7apg nd 7rpg in back to back years, its obvious Westbrook especially molded his game around Francis
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Dizzel3000 wrote:
    Has CP3 or Deron ever lead their teams to the best record in the NBA?? dont you think that just mayyyyyyyybe ..that has something to do with any attention Rose got last year?? ...
    Has CP3 ever had a team in New Orleans anywhere near as talented as what Rose has had with Deng, ? and Noah? The answer is "Hell No", and yet he nearly led them to the #1 seed in '08. That's far more impressive than anything Rose ever did.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Dizzel3000 wrote:
    Has CP3 ever had a team in New Orleans anywhere near as talented as what Rose has had with Deng, ? and Noah? The answer is "Hell No", and yet he nearly led them to the #1 seed in '08. That's far more impressive than anything Rose ever did.

whats your point?? ..the year he led that team he was in the MVP discussion he got his credit and praise and thats what cemented him as one of if not the best PG's in the leauge ......sooooooooo wtf you sayin....
  • windycity2117
    windycity2117 Members Posts: 9,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Marbury & Francis really this is some ? right here.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Marbury & Francis really this is some ? right here.

why u actin like both guys are some run of the mill players like I said Francis at point had years where he averaged 21 7 &7 and Marbury had 8 straight years where he averaged at least 20 ppg nd 8 assist the media wants u to forget had good both point guards were cuz of ? attitude
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not playing like a pure point guard shouldn't b regarded as revolutionary... These type of guards make up for their lack of pg skills with scoring and athleticism ...

Best post in here
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Dizzel3000 wrote:
    Evolution implies improvement... Deemphasizing running an offense does not constitute evolution... Don't get it twisted, I think Rose is awesome... He ain't doing ? that's revolutionary though

he doesnt run the offense?? lol ..what are you really saying player...

Bruh, of course he does... He doesn't do it better than Nash, CP3, Dwill, Rondo, ect... My point is that he is great, but he is not "evolved" in terms of pg play... He's a great player... Not the next step in pg's...

he's in his 4th year coming off a MVP in his 3rd! ....i mean the youngest player to ever win the award ... and hes hardly done becoming the player he will be in another 3-4 years ...lebron didnt say anything about whos the best PG in the leauge thats not the arguement or the point ..he's simply saying Rose.. with his play and accomplishments is changing the ideas of what a PG can do ...I.E. evolving the position ..
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Him and Westbrook are bigger stronger and faster then any PGs in recent history ..... A physical set of tools that has not been seen at that position .... They are also showing especially in roses case that you can combine traditional PG sensibilities with explosive scoring outputs ...at an efficient rate ..... That my dude is somethin that has not been the norm at that position .... Hence the praise of evolution from lebron....
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought of it but that Francis comparison was dead on. They probably a tad more athletic but they aint doing anything he didn't

Watching Russ and Rose play is frustrating to me because they don't make their team mates better. Too many times they drive to score instead of driving to make a play

When you ever seen two good point guards who couldn't run the pick and roll for ?