Most Miserable Sports Cities

Options
KingJamal
KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ys-forbes-atlanta_most_miserable_sports_cities_022812

The “top” five:

1. Atlanta – championship round record: 1-5
2. Seattle – championship round record: 1-3
3. Phoenix – championship round record: 1-3
4. Buffalo – championship round record: 2-6
5. San Diego – championship round record: 1-7

Comments

• KingJamal
    Options
    Well Im not surprised. Hard being an Atlanta fan. But at least the Falcons got new coordinators so there is hope.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    I'm surprised Cleveland wasn't in the top 5
  • KingJamal
    Options

Yea I think Cleveland should replace Buffalo. Buffalo only has football
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not suprised after the ? up year the ATL had

But we got 2 chances this year with the braves and the falcons
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The braves used to be our only saving grace.
    But how the hell Cleveland isn't #1 is beyond me.....50 years since the last title
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Cleveland can't even make the list...again losing at losing
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    Smh at cleveland losing so much they can't even win at being the worst
  • KingJamal
    Options
    Cleveland is down right pitiful lol
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crazy thing is Cleveland isn't even mentioned in the article
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »

Yea I think Cleveland should replace Buffalo. Buffalo only has football

buffalo_sabres_logo_edited.jpg

Buffalo sadly to say is the most miserable city overall, after we bailed out NYC and kept them from going bankrupt and the trade agreements sent tens of thousands of jobs overseas and then ? hit. But New York state pledged $1 billion in money and tax breaks to the area so things may be looking up hopefully
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most miserable for heteros
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol @ the list being based on "championship losses". Might as well call it the "Lebron scale".

I would much rather watch my squads in the playoffs (win or lose) than sitting at home wondering what my squad "could've" done in the postseason. foh.

Ol' "my squad failed but I'm glad nobody knew or cared about it" ass ? .

• Bender Rodriguez
    Bender Rodriguez Members Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ the list being based on "championship losses". Might as well call it the "Lebron scale".

I would much rather watch my squads in the playoffs (win or lose) than sitting at home wondering what my squad "could've" done in the postseason. foh.

• Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly. Sure the Braves won 10+ division titles in 15 years, but that's nothing to scoff at. Atlanta should not be in this list.

In the 90's - Braves were dominant, had 5 division titles, and three pennants(one of those pennants led to a WS win). Say what you want, but it's difficult to go to the playoffs in baseball, and 3 pennants is awesome.

In the 00's - Braves won 5 division titles. The Falcons had a great run w/ Vick, and had a playoff appearance in the last decade with Matt Ryan. Hawks had two runs in that decade.

This decade - Braves won a Wild Card berth, and the Falcons had two playoff appearances(one of them being as the #1 seed). Also, the Hawks had a two runs this decade.
  • Darius
    Options
    List was obviously done in a way to troll Atlanta fans. So far it appears to be a success.

But San diego? That's one of the nicest places in all of America. Folks gonna be happy regardless
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    lol @ Atlanta

I thought a city actually had to have fans in order to be considered miserable.

"Falcons got blown out in the playoffs again?"

"Yep"

"What time we going to the club?"

Werd. I don't know when ? gon' realize Atlanta ain't one of those broke down cities full'a ? pinning all their hopes and dreams on teams they have no control of. Atlanta got some fickle ass fans, miserable ain't the word.

Miserable is when you judge yourself and your city based on whether some team wins a game or not. Now that's miserable.

• greenwood1921
    Options

Exactly. Sure the Braves won 10+ division titles in 15 years, but that's nothing to scoff at. Atlanta should not be in this list.

In the 90's - Braves were dominant, had 5 division titles, and three pennants(one of those pennants led to a WS win). Say what you want, but it's difficult to go to the playoffs in baseball, and 3 pennants is awesome.

In the 00's - Braves won 5 division titles. The Falcons had a great run w/ Vick, and had a playoff appearance in the last decade with Matt Ryan. Hawks had two runs in that decade.

This decade - Braves won a Wild Card berth, and the Falcons had two playoff appearances(one of them being as the #1 seed). Also, the Hawks had a two runs this decade.

Basically.

There are at least 25 GM's in Major League Baseball that would sacrifice their first born if it guaranteed they'd have the same success in the next 20 years as the Braves have had in the last 20.
  • Darius
    Options
    Well if this is the criteria
    Our unique sports misery methodology isn’t focused on long-term futility, as epitomized by such teams as the L.A. Clippers, Baltimore Orioles, and until recently, the New Orleans Saints. You know about all that. This is about misery as defined by heartbreak – teams good enough to win a lot of games and advance through the post-season, only to disappoint fans in the end by falling short of a championship.

Then Atlanta wins it hands down, soley based on the Braves. It makes sense, but they really should have used a word besides "misery" to define the list. Because, like others have said, teams and their fans would take the Braves dominance for 15+ years and only 1 title over say the Royals, who probably havents sniffed a postseason simce Geogre Brett played and have turned into just a Quadruple A team, a major league feeder team. Again, it's a troll article so that would help Explain the use of "misery" in the article. Misery isn't defined by watching your team fail in the postseason, it's defined by not even being able to see your team even having a chance to fail in the postseason. It's about your team being out of contention by the midway point. Every year. It's about not having back to back winning seasons. It's about having a 1-15 season and a 2-14 season. It's about failed draft picks and bad free agent signings, that set your team back while your rivals all win titles and at least get to the playoffs. So ? you Fox and Hurney and Dwayne Jarrett and Ken Lucas and Eric Shelton and Armanti Edwards. Go ? yourself San Diego. You don't know ? about misery.
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    This ? reminds me of that rob parker article just made to ? off ? in the atl. Just because we ain't like them up north ? who burn ? ,cry in dark rooms, and take the week off because they team lost.Real ? take the L and move on bruh ? ? do all that emotional "imma ? wes welker if i see him" type ? .
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is Minneapolis not on there?

The storied Vikings franchise and their tortured fanbase?

Twins chunking it every year since the early 90's?

Wolves always sucking?
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some cities stay losing........
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Washington DC
    Redskins is garbage
    Wizards is garbage
    Capitals is aite
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll take the sun, the beaches, and never having to shovel snow here in San Diego over living in a place like Pittsburgh any day of the week. But it's still Chargers all day! Yeah buddy!
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Options
    allday1992 wrote: »
    This ? reminds me of that rob parker article just made to ? off ? in the atl. Just because we ain't like them up north ? who burn ? ,cry in dark rooms, and take the week off because they team lost.Real ? take the L and move on bruh ? ? do all that emotional "imma ? wes welker if i see him" type ? .

You right on that. It's one thing to not like a player/team/management, but it's another to wish harm(oh I hope he gets injured, or I wish he loses all his money). Sadly, in the Northeast and the Midwest, we live and die by our teams.