Can u tell the difference between Blu Ray and DVD on HD? I f#cking cant

Options
American Loo VII 3D
American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in IllTek
.....neither could my s/o's artsty fartsy brother that studied computer animation and cant watch a movie without critiquing all kinds of BS no one else cares about.

so i bought book of eli on blu ray. it came with the DVD version as well. since i dont need two copies, i gave the dvd version to my girl. i gave her the case and kept the disc so her bro comes over while we're watching the DVD at her place....he sees the blu ray case and goes

"man....blu ray makes everything else look like ? ....look at this qualtiy...look and the crisp blah blah blah ....."

i'm like "actually, thats a regular DVD."

Comments

• QB - 4th Edition
    QB - 4th Edition Banned Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    its all an illusion

anyway that new xbox comes out
    ? looks fun
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    u gotta be high to see a real difference...

but theres definatley a differnce...depends on the ppaticular blu ray tho...

some look better than others, n in certain parts in the movie were theres more light.
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hahaha hahahah... you can with SOME movies but most look the same to me aswell... which is why i dont ? with them $25 blu cases

blockbuster 4 for $20 has yet to let me down
  • QB - 4th Edition
    edited June 2010
    Options
    anybody notice how popular these 3d movies are getting

they tryna desensitize us
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Actually with ? like Transformers there is a definitive difference. But most cgi aint as crisp as that ?
  • joseph sun
    joseph sun Members Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I never even seen anything in HD, but a regular dvd looks really clear on blu ray to me, but the picture is only part of the difference on blu ray... the disc can hold alot more info then regular dvd

anyway I just seen the book of eli too... did you think he was definitely blind in the movie.
  • CPTJamesT.Lurk
    CPTJamesT.Lurk Members Posts: 763
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It depends on the movie and the TV. When I watch the matrix on DVD on my Plasma it is as clear as blu ray, but when I watch it on my LCD it's not as crisp.
  • CPTJamesT.Lurk
    CPTJamesT.Lurk Members Posts: 763
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Blu ray is the way to go with old movies that weren't shot in HD. It's something about how they digitally remaster them it makes them look like they were shot recently. I have a DVD and a Blu ray copy of A Clockwork Orange and it is a huge difference between them.
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited June 2010
    Options
    all depends on your set up

and most blu ray players will up convert the avg dvd to look like bluray.....trust me there is a difference i always show ppl black hawk down on blu ray and on dvd then they see the light

but some movies look the same on blu ray
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    idk about blu ray but watch a nfl game on the regular station and then turn it to the HD station and you will see a huge difference
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If it's 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

I can't even watch movies that aren't in 1080p, ? looks disgusting.
  • louis the great
    louis the great Members Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Big difference step ur Flat screen UP!
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    all depends on your set up

and most blu ray players will up convert the avg dvd to look like bluray.....trust me there is a difference i always show ppl black hawk down on blu ray and on dvd then they see the light

but some movies look the same on blu ray

with that u can just about end the thread..

when you putting out like a yearly salary on your entertainment system, you notice the difference...

i'm talking state of the art top of the line everything...
    the type of ? they still making commercials for....
  • QB - 4th Edition
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i need one of them panasonics that they use at the football stadium for the whole stadium 2 see
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i got a 1080p as well as a blu-ray in the ps3, but im old school. if it looks better than a VHS tape, its clear to me.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I can. I could tell the difference between blu-ray and hddvd. Maybe it's your tv. look at one of thoe LED tvs or something with 240 htz and up refresh rate. Also use a decent hdmi cable. I will admit that lately dvds have been dvd9 even ones that you wouldn't expect, like animation. All the blu-rays that I've dumped have been 10-15 gb. playyed back through my pc connected to my tv with hdmi. They all looked amazing.
  • QB - 4th Edition
    edited June 2010
    Options
    technology be movin too damn fast for me to enjoy anything wtf man
  • powerman 5000
    edited June 2010
    Options
    When this drops you should really see the difference:

The Blu-ray Disc Association has approved the BDXL standard this week, meaning quad-layer 128GB Blu-ray discs are on the way.

BDXL also allows for triple-layer BDs with 100GB capacity.

Current Blu-ray players are not compatible with BDXL, and there are no players yet in the works with support for the new standard. When they do become available, BDXL players will support current single and double-layer BD, as well.

For now, the format is targeted "at professional applications such as archiving and medial imaging," says TG.

BDXL should hit the mainstream, however, when 3D Blu-ray content hits mainstream, as that content will need the extra space.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • fiat_money
    edited June 2010
    Options
    When this drops you should really see the difference:
    Not necessarily, the resolution/definition won't change, there'll just be more space on the disk. So, perhaps more content, extras, and footage, but it'll look the same.
  • fiat_money
    edited June 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    If it's 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

I can't even watch movies that aren't in 1080p, ? looks disgusting.
    "Picture so blurry, might as well rub dirt in my eyes." - Homer Simpson
  • powerman 5000
    edited June 2010
    Options
    maybe, or they'll use higher quality imaging so shoot the contenet and the results would be similar to the difference between a picture taken with a 1 meg camera and a picture taken with an 8 meg camera sort of how there's hd cameras now. All that remains to be seen though.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah, the colors are brighter and sharper. It depends on the type of tv your watching it on too (dlp,lcd,plasma).
  • fiat_money
    edited June 2010
    Options
    maybe, or they'll use higher quality imaging so shoot the contenet and the results would be similar to the difference between a picture taken with a 1 meg camera and a picture taken with an 8 meg camera sort of how there's hd cameras now. All that remains to be seen though.
    They could've done that all along though, if they wanted to. The 50GB spec Blu-Ray disc has been out since 2005; which has more than enough space to fit a 1080p/i movie in the various formats used.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    the difference between bluray and a dvd on hd isnt breathtaking though. but it is there.