Chuck D "Jay Z And Kanye West's Bases Are "Corrupt To Rap"

Comments

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    He coulda said dat about any mainstream artist. Dat mf just hatin. Somebody tell dat ? to take his blue pill and ?
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    I said this the moment Watch the Throne dropped. But my point was from a musical perspective. Everything on that album only popped because it has JayZ and Kanye attached to it.

Take a song like Otis. To us, nothing about that song is spectacular. We download songs like that every week. But you add Kanye and Jay to a beat like that and everybody and their momma is feeling it. Otis doesn't get national play if its done by anybody but those 2.

They think they're doing something great for rap when in all honesty they're just proving how fake it is.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    I said this the moment Watch the Throne dropped. But my point was from a musical perspective. Everything on that album only popped because it has JayZ and Kanye attached to it.

Take a song like Otis. To us, nothing about that song is spectacular. We download songs like that every week. But you add Kanye and Jay to a beat like that and everybody and their momma is feeling it. Otis doesn't get national play if its done by anybody but those 2.

They think they're doing something great for rap when in all honesty they're just proving how fake it is.

Oh really, we download songs like Otis every week, where they do that at? Name some songs that's in the same vein as Otis that never got play?

Kanye and Jay gets the hype because they have a track record of quality and consistency of putting out hit records. I'm sure if any other rapper who has had success would get a song like that to pop off.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ain't nothing inspirational to me about being in cold ass, white ass Europe...a place were Negroes boast that they aint even supposed to be? Why aint you supposed to be there ni99er? What, they didn't want you to be there but you overjoyed to integrate?

Bahamas, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Morroco even damn Hawaii is more suitable than some grafted, calcified, recessive white-bread city, and landmass like Europe/Paris

Jolly Kneegrows can throw 5 Europeon samples and a Europeon Mr Hudson and Europeon album-art and Europeon song titles like "Living so Italian" & Ni99ers in Paris" on a HipHop album and these white-washed ? just gobble it up.

I wouldn't give a damn if you wore some Verscae or drove a BMW, or ? on a French ? but when you inject that Euro ? into the music and take the music in that direction and cater a whole project.....then ? you.

The only thing missing was Euro-Jay having his white-Europeon Roc-Nation artist K-Koke on that ? album.

I don't co-sign everything any man says especially Chuck D, but all that Euro pandering is getting corny especially with T.I. signing some British rapper that sound like Benny Hill and dress like a butler.

I guess Kneegrows have become Eurocentric and think that Eropeon culture is the most superior on the planet just because them bloodthirsty devils have ? the entire earth so they can eat tons of raw meat and pay off the lawsuits from ? children in their church.

Go get ya money Kanye & JayZ, go get them Euro-dollars but let them bloodsucking pasty ? mutants know that they ain't superior and their culture ain't superior to any other culture but trully the most depraved and sick on the planet.

• tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »

Oh really, we download songs like Otis every week, where they do that at? Name some songs that's in the same vein as Otis that never got play?

Kanye and Jay gets the hype because they have a track record of quality and consistency of putting out hit records. I'm sure if any other rapper who has had success would get a song like that to pop off.

stop it ?

Otis was a breathe of fresh air ? to you??? seriously

what about Otis hadn't you heard before???

• supersajinfo
    supersajinfo Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    I can agree with you for the most part .What I find ignorant of Jay and ye is they act like black entertainers haven't been trend setting in Europe for the longest .They wanna be like us in Paris they copy our clothes,lingo and music for years .jazz musicians would go over there and be treated like gods it's like they are ass backwards in the logic man.We didn't revere them they revered us.
  • Africa United
    Africa United Members Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Why, in Jay-z and Kanye´s eyes, is traveling to Paris the epitome of success for a black man? Any Tom ? or Harry could jump on a plane and try to look successful. Why cant it be Blacks in MIT or Harvard? The city of Paris should give Jay and Kanye a key to the city for the free promotion/tourist video.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most of the negative watch the throne commentary is what happens when people (read:? ) take things only for the literal meaning. they come to the easiest and simplest conclusion without 2nd thought of any other possibilities

to answer chucks claim- when has and why would the system change because ? are "angry" at it
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monizzle post was slept on in this thread. H-Rap you always speak out about your displeasure with European products being used as a sign within the black community, but you heavily promote Rick Ross. His label is named after a european company. Have you blindly fell victim to something you dislike?

• supersajinfo
    "Usually if you have this much taste you European. Thats the end of that thinking ? never again"
    "the scales was lopsided, im just restoring order"
    "we aint even supposed to be here"
    "she said 'You goin to school ill give you a summer'/Then she met No I.D. and gave me his number/Ten years later she driving a hummer"
    "now all my ? designing and we all swaggin.."
    "Im shocked too, im supposed to be locked up too. If u escaped what i escaped, YOU'D be in Paris getting ? up too"
    "Marilyn Monroe shes quite nice but all the pretty icons always all white"

Tell the whole story.
    These are just a few lines. But ? only choose to hear what suits their bias.
    Bragging has been far and away the norm in hiphop yet Jay and Kanye are the ones we have to examine and decipher literally then blow out of proportion. Yea right
    What has Europe almost always represented culturally in American history?
    Economically, what does a vacation to Europe say about you or the job you hold/status in life?
    Contrast that- What does being from Bedstuy usually mean? How about black from chicago?
    Are black men growing up in the late 70s-80s frequently allowed to travel/vacation in ANY other continent much less one seen as so "first world/high class" as Europe?
    You can answer these questions yourself. Is this right? No. SHOULD it be that way? Hell no. Is that how it is? Yes. Does the imagery and symbolism of what 'Europe' represents to the average ear effective? Yes

yall ? can go rant and snap ur fingers at poetry slams all u want. Your claims are unfounded. If u need to build the erroneous straw man that Jay/Ye are white washing and speakin on having money and being in europe is a sac relig to the culture theres the counterpoints right there. While you're fishing for co-signs on the internet you missed the point patting yourself on the back.

Very good post I agree with you on this matter.
    8822 Members Posts: 142
    I agree with Young Guru more than any of these self righteous kuffi ? . Why are ya'll ? mad at Jay and Kanye for rapping about what they truly live, i agree that there needs to be balance (which WTT had) but the issue is not Jay or Kanye it's the major labels and radio.

I'm kind of sick of ? with this mentality that the black experience is only limited to the struggle. ? outta here with that ? , not all of us came from poverty and struggle and there is nothing wrong with being proud of what you or your family worked for.

Stop attributing the worst ? to being black or the whole black experience. It's a lot of ? out her kicking that conscious ? that ain't backing up their claims with money or charity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rlCK9UcPk

I think you may have possibly missed the point being made. Is it possible for two middle aged black men to acknowledge their success, however misguided by their notion of perceived success being attributable to eurocentric taste, to recognize and identify themselves as something other than ? . With all do respect, i think that was the point and not that black should be defined by struggle or any monolithic view, whether by ourselves or outside influences. I think the overall idea is, the increasingly hypocritical position we as the younger black generation are facing; calling ourselves a name, with all its history, something we don't want anyone outside of the race to call us.

It's a highly sophisticated debate to have, and i think your response, perhaps not intentionally, does a great disservice by regulating it to merely hate, or something spewed by some " self righteous kuffi ? ." just sayin...

8822 Members Posts: 142
    Basically, Chuck D doesn't believe that progressive/reflective songs about success can inspire people. He also implied that Jay and Kanye's black fans will never be able to travel internationally. The snarky comment about [Jay and Ye's] age only proves that there is cynicism regarding "luxury/grown up" rap.

Chuck D: I mean, I’m not mad at them, I’m happy that they’re great artists. But at the same time, I’m always gonna be mad at the machine. I’m always gonna be angry at corporations. And I’m always gonna be angry at people that show off their money to the poor and the growing poor in America and across the world. That’s just how I am. And people can say that’s bitter, but why wouldn’t I be angry at that? I know I’m privileged, but I’m just totally, totally against somebody showing off riches to the poor. It goes against every ? ’ storybook tale that we’ve learned since kindergarten. Robin Hood robbed from the rich and gave to the poor and was a hero. How the ? you gonna rob from the poor and be the rich and be a hero? It just doesn’t make any damn sense.

I bet that ? ain't giving up those checks he made from his PE days, having the nerve to talk about Robin Hood. Kanye and Jay-z employ many black folks or gave them starting positions in the music business, name one person Chuck D employs or has ever put on. All these old ? do is ? and complain, what they fail to acknowledge is you have to get inside the system ( a position of power) to change the system. You think these companies are gonna throw money behind something that ain't selling units.

how exactly is by jay and kanye making a song titled ? In Paris into a global anthem changing the system. no disrespect but we have to get off of this lazy way of thinking. Often times the means may not necessarily equal the ends.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Usually if you have this much taste you European. Thats the end of that thinking ? never again"
    "the scales was lopsided, im just restoring order"
    "we aint even supposed to be here"
    "she said 'You goin to school ill give you a summer'/Then she met No I.D. and gave me his number/Ten years later she driving a hummer"
    "now all my ? designing and we all swaggin.."
    "Im shocked too, im supposed to be locked up too. If u escaped what i escaped, YOU'D be in Paris getting ? up too"
    "Marilyn Monroe shes quite nice but all the pretty icons always all white"

Tell the whole story.
    These are just a few lines. But ? only choose to hear what suits their bias.
    Bragging has been far and away the norm in hiphop yet Jay and Kanye are the ones we have to examine and decipher literally then blow out of proportion. Yea right
    What has Europe almost always represented culturally in American history?
    Economically, what does a vacation to Europe say about you or the job you hold/status in life?
    Contrast that- What does being from Bedstuy usually mean? How about black from chicago?
    Are black men growing up in the late 70s-80s frequently allowed to travel/vacation in ANY other continent much less one seen as so "first world/high class" as Europe?
    You can answer these questions yourself. Is this right? No. SHOULD it be that way? Hell no. Is that how it is? Yes. Does the imagery and symbolism of what 'Europe' represents to the average ear effective? Yes

yall ? can go rant and snap ur fingers at poetry slams all u want. Your claims are unfounded. If u need to build the erroneous straw man that Jay/Ye are white washing and speakin on having money and being in europe is a sac relig to the culture theres the counterpoints right there. While you're fishing for co-signs on the internet you missed the point patting yourself on the back.

was about to mention that people sleep on this line. if you listen to the lyrics throughout the album you cant really say its just praising europe etc
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2012
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Monizzle post was slept on in this thread. H-Rap you always speak out about your displeasure with European products being used as a sign within the black community, but you heavily promote Rick Ross. His label is named after a european company. Have you blindly fell victim to something you dislike?
    You are a desceitful liar.

Lying on me is an activity you should refrain from....you are still a V-Nasty fan correct?

Why don't you click on my profile and look at the threads I have made within the last 12 months, I don't "heavily promote" any specific artist and I challenge you to give the date or name of the last Rick Ross thread I made unless of course you are too cowardly to do so.

I have NEVER spoke out against no damn Europeon products when half my damn accessories are Gucci, is your comprehension so juvenile that you couldn't read the damn sentence were I said "I WOULDN'T GIVE A DAMN IF YOU WORE VERSCAE OR DROVE A BMW..........."!?!?!?!?!?! does that sound like I give a damn about Europeon products, huh???

I get so disgusted with ignorant people who can't understand things that are so easy for educated people to understand but I have the patience despite a hangover to explain this in the fashion that I would a child:

IM TALKING ABOUT THE DAMN MUSIC AND THE DIRECTION
    IM TALKING ABOUT THE DAMN MUSIC AND THE DIRECTION

I'm not talking about a damn Europeon car not a Mercedes, BMW, or a Maybach; IM TALKING ABOUT THE MUSIC/DIRECTION

2 Europeon singers Mr Hudson, & Elly Jackson crooning on "Watch the Throne"
    2 Europeon song titles associated with the project "Ni99ers in Paris" & "Living so Italian"
    3 Europeon album and single covers created by Europeon Riccardo Tisci for (H.A.M, WTT, & Otis)
    5 Europeon music samples from Europeon artists on "Watch the Throne" (reference the Euro-Jay thread)

The majority of the project was recorded in Europe
    The album starts with a Europeon based music sample and ends with a Europeon-based singer
    The album charted in 11 different Europeon countries, places like Sweeden, Poland, Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and even damn Finland.

THE MUSIC AND DIRECTION OF THE ENTIRE PROJECT WAS CATERING TO EUROPEONS
    THE MUSIC AND DIRECTION OF THE ENTIRE PROJECT WAS CATERING TO EUROPEONS

Are you attempting to compare the worship of a car-brand like "Maybach" to all the blatant MUSIC and ART and SAMPLING and other Europeon pandering that was associated with the "Watch the Throne project?

• H-Rap 180
    edited March 2012
    most of the negative watch the throne commentary is what happens when people (read:? ) take things only for the literal meaning. they come to the easiest and simplest conclusion without 2nd thought of any other possibilities

to answer chucks claim- when has and why would the system change because ? are "angry" at it

"when people (read:? )...."

who are you Rush Limbaugh? Sean Hannity or Uncle Ruckus?

Do you consider yourself a "? " or is that just a word you use on the Internet from behind pics of other men who you attempt to live vicariously through? When you say "? are angry at it" who are you referring to the ? in a Paris?

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ckalokoh wrote: »
    Why, in Jay-z and Kanye´s eyes, is traveling to Paris the epitome of success for a black man? Any Tom ? or Harry could jump on a plane and try to look successful. Why cant it be Blacks in MIT or Harvard? The city of Paris should give Jay and Kanye a key to the city for the free promotion/tourist video.

I am a black male in college but i still say success is not about going to MIT or Harvard. Even the steve jobs and bill gates dropped out of school and built giant corporations without a college degree. Not to mention both jay and ye have scholarship funds. What yo are missing is the part of the song when jay talks about even if the nets goes 0-82 he gunna be goood.

Jay-Z being a partial owner of something is every African American male or female should strive to do. We too stuck up in making it to the pro leagues or making a record label or making it mediocre. But Jay owns part of a company that is the new jersey nets. Not to mention this same album has songs like murder to excellence which is more real than most mainstream rap songs getting made now.
  • H-Rap 180
    When the data come back from the reaction features and shows who's been clicking all these buttons a lot of these ? gonna look real red in the face.
  • usmarin3
    8822 wrote: »
    I agree with Young Guru more than any of these self righteous kuffi ? . Why are ya'll ? mad at Jay and Kanye for rapping about what they truly live, i agree that there needs to be balance (which WTT had) but the issue is not Jay or Kanye it's the major labels and radio.

I'm kind of sick of ? with this mentality that the black experience is only limited to the struggle. ? outta here with that ? , not all of us came from poverty and struggle and there is nothing wrong with being proud of what you or your family worked for.

Stop attributing the worst ? to being black or the whole black experience. It's a lot of ? out her kicking that conscious ? that ain't backing up their claims with money or charity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rlCK9UcPk

I think you may have possibly missed the point being made. Is it possible for two middle aged black men to acknowledge their success, however misguided by their notion of perceived success being attributable to eurocentric taste, to recognize and identify themselves as something other than ? . With all do respect, i think that was the point and not that black should be defined by struggle or any monolithic view, whether by ourselves or outside influences. I think the overall idea is, the increasingly hypocritical position we as the younger black generation are facing; calling ourselves a name, with all its history, something we don't want anyone outside of the race to call us.

It's a highly sophisticated debate to have, and i think your response, perhaps not intentionally, does a great disservice by regulating it to merely hate, or something spewed by some " self righteous kuffi ? ." just sayin...

LOL ya'll same hypocrites chastise Jay and Kanye for their eurocentric lifestyle yet praise ? like Rakim, Slick Rick, Kane,etc who all promoted Gucci, Mercedes,etc from the Public Enemy era in the mid 80s. Why didn't ya'll have a problem then when they were rocking all that euro ? ? ? out of here with that N word ? because you know damn well you use the word and 99% of you ? on this website use the word, and the word damn sure don't take on the same connotation it did from back in the days when it was used as a word to oppress.

Chuck D was clearly being a ? hater, if he wasn't why did he throw in that shot at then end with that 12 and 15 year old comment. The ? is damn near condescending and a ? hypocrite imo, this is the same clown who support Flava Flav ? head ass on tv.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side note, T.I. beasted on ? in Paris. I like his verse more than the original song itself...

...and the video for ? in Paris is pretty good as well.
  • usmarin3
    Basically, Chuck D doesn't believe that progressive/reflective songs about success can inspire people. He also implied that Jay and Kanye's black fans will never be able to travel internationally. The snarky comment about [Jay and Ye's] age only proves that there is cynicism regarding "luxury/grown up" rap.

Chuck D: I mean, I’m not mad at them, I’m happy that they’re great artists. But at the same time, I’m always gonna be mad at the machine. I’m always gonna be angry at corporations. And I’m always gonna be angry at people that show off their money to the poor and the growing poor in America and across the world. That’s just how I am. And people can say that’s bitter, but why wouldn’t I be angry at that? I know I’m privileged, but I’m just totally, totally against somebody showing off riches to the poor. It goes against every ? ’ storybook tale that we’ve learned since kindergarten. Robin Hood robbed from the rich and gave to the poor and was a hero. How the ? you gonna rob from the poor and be the rich and be a hero? It just doesn’t make any damn sense.

I bet that ? ain't giving up those checks he made from his PE days, having the nerve to talk about Robin Hood. Kanye and Jay-z employ many black folks or gave them starting positions in the music business, name one person Chuck D employs or has ever put on. All these old ? do is ? and complain, what they fail to acknowledge is you have to get inside the system ( a position of power) to change the system. You think these companies are gonna throw money behind something that ain't selling units.

how exactly is by jay and kanye making a song titled ? In Paris into a global anthem changing the system. no disrespect but we have to get off of this lazy way of thinking. Often times the means may not necessarily equal the ends.

Listen her ? , read what i said and use some critical thinking for once. I said in order to change the system you have to get inside the system, which is what Kanye and Jay have done being executives and label owners, you think all that conscious ? that these ? like Talib, Mos,etc are kicking is being listened to by anyone, those mfs barely sell records. You think a white exec know how to market dudes like those, a Kanye and Jay-z does. Who did Jay-z sign as mcs when he got Roc Nation, J Cole and Jay Electronica. That alone should tell you where this dude is heading and what he wants to promote, but ya'll don't see the bigger picture. Ya'll think Jay-z and Kanye can put out a song called WATCH THE KENTE CLOTH and radio will eat it up like that, ya'll know damn well radio has their format and a song like that would never get played. That's why Pac said you got to make those radio records and make the album the real ? .

Jay nor Kanye can change radio, they have to play within the rules of the business.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2012
    On a side note, T.I. beasted on ? in Paris. I like his verse more than the original song itself...

Study this thread Bruh, this ? is textbook.

A man can see 55 examples why his ? has been cheating on him but he loves the ? so much that he ignores all the signs:

The ? has been spotted with other men
    The ? won't answer her cellphone anymore
    The ? comes home in the middle of the night
    The ? ? don't have that snap-back like it did

Etc etc

Her man is in denial that somebody is smashing his ? and when you tried to tell him he replied with:

All girls have male friends, Kim Kardashian was just friends with Kanye West, and they never had sex
    Women don't answer their cellphones all the time they prefer text-messaging or leaving the phone in the car
    She spends long hours at the gym working out so it's natural for her to come home and go straight to the shower
    Her ? always loses it's tightness and grip because she's on a different kind of birth-control that alters the P/H

I'm ? his ? and I'm pretty sure he knows I'm ? his ? but he loves the ? so deeply that he refuses to acknowledge the fact that she's a ? , a ? , a ? , and a nasty ass ? that's getting ? by H-Rap.

• supersajinfo
    I didn't like watch the throne and was one of the first to say that ? had no replay value .The few gems they drop get washed out by the overrall wall of sound vibe I get from this album.Yes this album is Eurocentric and xenocentric.These guys could have dropped a boom bap album with the same title with the same lyrics and I guarantee they would have got universal praise on this site.I think a lot of folks don't like bourgeois vibe that they are putting on it does come across as snooty when the majority of kanyes fans were at first struggling college kids .I don't need for a rapper to remind me every five seconds that I live in a ? up world at the same time I don't mind him telling me that he is successful.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

Study this thread Bruh, this ? is textbook.

A man can see 55 examples why his ? has been cheating on him but he loves the ? so much that he ignores all the signs:

The ? has been spotted with other men
    The ? won't answer her cellphone anymore
    The ? comes home in the middle of the night
    The ? ? don't have that snap-back like it did

Etc etc

Her man is in denial that somebody is smashing his ? and when you tried to tell him he replied with:

All girls have male friends, Kim Kardashian was just friends with Kanye West, and they never had sex
    Women don't answer their cellphones all the time they prefer text-messaging or leaving the phone in the car
    She spends long hours at the gym working out so it's natural for her to come home and go straight to the shower
    Her ? always loses it's tightness and grip because she's on a different kind of birth-control that alters the P/H

I'm ? his ? and I'm pretty sure he knows I'm ? his ? but he loves the ? so deeply that he refuses to acknowledge the fact that she's a ? , a ? , a ? , and a nasty ass ? that's getting ? by H-Rap.

Lmao, well damn.

blog081210_kim-kard-kanye.jpg
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't like watch the throne and was one of the first to say that ? had no replay value .The few gems they drop get washed out by the overrall wall of sound vibe I get from this album.Yes this album is Eurocentric and xenocentric.These guys could have dropped a boom bap album with the same title with the same lyrics and I guarantee they would have got universal praise on this site.I think a lot of folks don't like bourgeois vibe that they are putting on it does come across as snooty when the majority of kanyes fans were at first struggling college kids .I don't need for a rapper to remind me every five seconds that I live in a ? up world at the same time I don't mind him telling me that he is successful.

The reason new york hip hop is played out is because the cliche raps over boom bap with 90 different raps about shooting a gun. And for as eurocentric as one might think the album is murder to excellence is one of the few mainstream songs to address black on black murder cause nobody else mainstream wanna talk about it like that.
This discussion has been closed.