Chuck D "Jay Z And Kanye West's Bases Are "Corrupt To Rap"

Options

Comments

• H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @H-Rap and @rip.dilla

we can all agree that the term "hate" has been over used and misused...
    criticism is healthy... especially when it comes to the genre that we all love... what Chuck said comes off as hate because he is purposely ignoring aspects of the song in question that contradict his stance...
    I think the most important part of this dialogue is getting lost... the media conglomerates are doing way more damage than this one song can ever do...

I recently got into it with Chuck D on twitter (@BruthaDee), it's still on there if you wanna check it.

I respect Chuck as a pioneer and a legend but I don't always agree with him but I think he's earned his right to speak his peice.

When Chuck and PE decided to do that corny Anthrax duet it signaled the end of their platinum selling run and they lost a lot of fans on this side. They kicked Griff out the group and Chuck was working for Fox news and Flava was picking digital cotton and cloning on VH1 so I got got issues with Chuck and PE.

I don't hate JayZ or Kanye, I think JayZ is one of the Goats and I own at least 6-7 of his albums and even tapes which should tell you how far back we go. I think Kanye is a musical genius Nd even dedicated a thread to his genius and got Lot of flack for my stance.

My only issue with "WTT" and "Ni99ers in Paris" in the musical direction and the underlying theme of euro-worship....my feelings on the project are probally elevated to a degree because at the other end of the spectrum you have "Distant Relatives" and "Afrika must wake up"!

This is deeper than rap, this is about the culture and when you see all these white rappers getting deals and 3 XXL freshmen being white, and Iggy Azalia being called the new Tupac and Skylar Grey being nominated for a rap Grammy and JayZ & T.I. both signing white and/or Europeon rappers to their label......hol up hol up hol up......let's open our eyes and look at the big picture.

Were is the culture going? What direction is it headed in:

This is the face of HipHop in 2012

Emenem-Cross-dressing ex-Klansman
    LiL Wayne- Skater/Rocker/Banger
    Nicki Minaj- Satanic-Stripper rap-singer
    Drake- Tragic-Canadian-mulatto rap-singer

&

Kanye West- effeminate metrosexal genius
    JayZ- the most accomplished rapper of our era

Those are the platinum rappers of this era and I don't expect anything from Emenim or YMCMB because I highly doubt their target demographic is Black males at this point in their careers so what do we have left......

Kanye, "MBDTF" was brilliant, it reflected the streets with Raekwon, Rozay, Pusha T, it had the Soul represented with Smokey Robinson and Jon Legend and you even had the legendary Gil Scott Heron...no token white artist or UK artist to pander or cater to that market. The overall vibe of that project was just GOOD music.

I'm thinking "WTT" was going to have the same elements to a degree that "MBDTF" had I never ever expected Euro-Pop & Dubstep & Mr Hudson, and the whole Euro-vibe because I'm one of the people that think JayZ-Kanye West true first collab album "Blueprint" was a masterpiece.....they bamboozled us all.

So given that background you can see that my crisis isn't rooted in hatred or jealousy but rather in the direction of the music and the culture as a whole and me expecting more out of our biggest artists than a love-fest for white culture.

• H-Rap 180
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Yo couldn't have put it better 'Rap

Criticism is viewed as "hate" on these forums

Only females think like that

And if I recall correctly, Chuck D in the interview did not use insulting or hateful language towards both "? "

I'm a crab if I criticize a song or album but if DMX or Common say they hate how Drake walks then they are "real ni99ers".

....DMX & Common must be envious of Drake's success huh?

• Washington_Red
    Washington_Red Members Posts: 255
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    he's being intellectually dishonest by looking at the song as a literal exaltation of Paris and white America...
    but again that is not even the point that should receive the most debate...
    he is correct about the state of radio and television...

I hope you know as we post that KanYe West has turned into a 'fashion designer' knocking it down with top European fashion designers in collaborations more especially in Paris

On his last fashion show just last week, he had skinny, unhealthy white models wearing his ? on the catwalk. The price tag of those clothes will be out of reach of a huge majority of his female fans I reckon

Dude wears female attires on stage (skirts and silk blouses)

I have tried to like Watch The Throne as an album, but it doesn't just capture my attention at all

So what? Pac used to kick it with Donatella Versace and Madonna. What does a person's hobbies have to do with the content of their character? Why are you judging these artists by the company they keep and not others?

Can anybody show me the specific lines on WTT or more specifically NIP that has everybody riled up?

Do they exist?

Or is the entire critique of this song centered around the word Paris?

I'm positive that Chuck has partied in France more times than anybody in this thread.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    ... my crisis isn't rooted in hatred or jealousy but rather in the direction of the music and the culture as a whole and me expecting more out of our biggest artists than a love-fest for white culture.

Same sentiments

• blazn101
    blazn101 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? HRAP types like he is a woman, keep your thoughts to five sentences ? . You seem like the lame ass emotional ? who vents all your feelings in long paragraphs.

Back to the topic, how is Chuck D not being a hater? The mf threw in that jab about being 12 and 15 year old like that was necessary or had anything to do with the topic. Why don't he mention real names like the heads or the major labels or the head of Clear Channel, since he is so concerned about the playing feel. Alot of these ? like Chuck D argument is misguided as hell!
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2012
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    This ? HRAP types like he is a woman, keep your thoughts to five sentences ? . You seem like the lame ass emotional ? who vents all your feelings in long paragraphs.

Back to the topic, how is Chuck D not being a hater? The mf threw in that jab about being 12 and 15 year old like that was necessary or had anything to do with the topic. Why don't he mention real names like the heads or the major labels or the head of Clear Channel, since he is so concerned about the playing feel. Alot of these ? like Chuck D argument is misguided as hell!

No need to get emotional and call me a "? " 3 times in one sentence like some corny little Uncle-Tom with a crush on JayZ trying to sound "niggerish" online, we all know you got ? in your blood and bleach pumping through your heart.

You and ShadyTeam must be related, you seem like a lame-ass emotional Caucasion who vents his emotions when he sees long paragraphs....

^^^^this guy don't even know me to be typing my screen-name.....guess the guy wanted my attention. She got it

Back on topic, I hope Chuck D continues to speak on JayZ just so his #1 male groupies can throw ? -fits and go on "? " rants.

• usmarin3
    Options
    HRAP you are so ? predictable, i know your lame ass type too. Ole if you didn't grow up like the family on Good Times and attribute the worst ? ? (poverty,crime,etc) to the black experience. Lets keep it real, a lot of you ? are bitter as ? about where ya'll are in life and what others have in life. You can keep your keeping it real/black experience rhetoric to yourself, growing up poor and struggling ain't nothing to be proud of. You can keep those silly ass stripes!

• H-Rap 180
    edited March 2012
    Options
    This guy types like a female...always typing your name hoping to get your attention.

I know his type, an immigrant-Island-? who never adjusted to Afrikan-American culture and was mocked and ridiculed by other Afrikan-Ameicans so he ran to the white folks who accepted him with open arms.

This type of individual thinks a white women like the one in his avi and a JayZ co-sign equates to status in this society so they mockingly use terms like "kufi ? " and thinks anybody criticizing the direction of their heroes music is subscribing to poverty and wretchedness.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    LOL never cared about African American culture and was never ridiculed clown, i grew up in Fort Lauderdale and i don't know if you know but it ain't nothing but "immigrants" as you say. I fit in right at home with my other Jamaicans, we ran the school academically and figuratively.

Don't focus on who i have in my avi, just know that i can pull black chicks who would never give you the time of the day. You can yap about all you want, but at the end of the day ain't nobody stopping you and people like you from succeeding in America. Get of your lazy good for nothing ass, stop thinking succeeding is selling out, and realize the black community isn't a monolith. We aren't all alike, share the same experiences, or have the same outlook. I don't know you, you don't know me, and just because you're black doesn't mean another black man owes you anything.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem with Chuck D is that idiots like ^^^^ will find every excuse in the world to discredit him because what he says makes them uncomfortable.

There was a time in hip-hop where everything Chuck D said in that interview would have been simply common sense but now it's like selling out (not just in terms of sales but in terms of content) is the definition of success.

Believe me... there are plenty of ways to make money while still maintaining some degree of integrity; unfortunately the rappers that make money strictly from compromising their integrity have been telling you the exact opposite either flagrantly or subliminally for the past 20 years.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Then Chuck D should of being saying ? to Kool G Rap, Slick Rick, Kane, LL,etc who were on that materialistic and crime ? back in his day. One thing i can't stand is a ? hypocrite, be consistent in your beliefs and don't criticize people when you only have an agenda.

Ain't nothing new in hiphop, the ? that Kanye and Jay is rapping about is no different than what Slick Rick, Kane,etc and all them old school cat rap about. Same old school ? pushing Beemas, Dapper Dan Gucci outfits, gold ropes, Audi's,etc.

Be consistent in your stance, hypocrites!!
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo reading some of this ? in this thread makes me sick to the stomach, for all those ? 's that saying black's always look down on sucess and we all about expecting low lifestyle and love talking about struggle and look down on sucess.

I LIKE TO SAY congratulations your are living proof that tell blacks a lie long enough soon they will believe it as truth, how does it feel to believe a lie that repeated for decades by racist whites to use against blacks. you silly ass ? are using their talking points.

blacks always celebrate success and built business and teach how to be independent and went back to out communites and shared and build within, look at Harlem in the 20-50's you silly ass ? . But we never sold our soul and kiss ass and act like a minstrel show. Miles, Muddy Waters, WEB Dubois went to paris and never went there kissing ass and showin out and telling blacks in america, we ? in paris. ? OUTTA HERE
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what Chuck D stands for is good, but at the end of the day.. he's just tryna spread a message a

and not doing anything about it. Instead of this ? attacking his successors success, reach out

to Jay and Kanye or whatever... ? don't have unity and that's one of the biggest downfalls y'all can have.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somebody pull out a Kool G Rap, Slick Rick or Kane song like ? In Paris and i will be waiting and we can compare
  • usmarin3
    Options
    So how is Kanye and Jay-z kissing ass, because they aren't sheltered uncultured fools who don't limit their experiences to black folks and so call black culture. What exactly is wrong with having white friends and not limiting you're experiences. Ya'll acting like Jay wasn't on that Cristal, Versace,etc ? back in 1995 or Kanye wasn't on that Polo, Louis Vuitton ? back in 2004. Those ? are the same people that they were back then, why does anyone have a problem now?

Plus lets stop ? acting like ya'll grew up in the Harlem Renaissance. lol A lot of those black artist ya'll running your mouth about ? white women and worked with white artist also. That ? word was not created by hiphop either, the same ? from the 1930s used the word in the same context.
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    Is it just me or do people intentionally feign ignorance and fabricate scenarios that don't exist?

I guess the idea of criticizing the musical direction and theme of an album has something to do with wearing a Kufi, selling out, hating success, subscribing to poverty, being a ni99er, being a crab or blacks owing blacks....instead of it being a simple critique aimed at a Eurocentric project that sonically and visually catered to Europeons more than any other HipHop release in history.

? is just sad.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i have no problem with wat chuck d said but call out everybody.....i have no problem with nip and that ? appeals to all...chuck is diving a little too deep into a song, most see it for wat it is a celebratory song.....seems like there will always be this conflict with some people.....i liked in poorest too,
  • usmarin3
    Options
    @ HRAP

Just like how clowns like you are quick to call black folks sell outs when they ain't playing into stereotypes of what black culture is. LMFAO at Eurocentric, do you fools even realize that most the ? you drive, drink, eat, wear,etc has European influences, it ain't like you fools buying black made ? . ? outta here with your fake Afrocentrism, ya'll ain't about that life.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this thread is ? hilarious
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    Options
    Idk man maybe I got a different version of Watch the THrone but was Jay not talking about hood ? like cooking up in his grandma kitchen or looking out for his man when he get out? I got this song called Murder to Excellence on there too that yall should hear...
    My version even got samples from famous black musicians like Otis Redding and James Brown, i dont get the Eurocentric thing? Is it just not black enough for yall or what?
    THere are 1,000,011 rappers out here, if you don't like the ones you hear on the radio they made these ipod things that you can fill with whatever you wanna listen to...
  • usmarin3
    Options
    That ? HRAP like Oswald from In Living Color with his pseudo Afrocentrism and jail knowledge.

1463_512x288_manicured__XArOEYRjA0Sq2CM-37G5NQ.jpg
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    @ HRAP

Just like how clowns like you are quick to call black folks sell outs when they ain't playing into stereotypes of what black culture is. LMFAO at Eurocentric, do you fools even realize that most the ? you drive, drink, eat, wear,etc has European influences, it ain't like you fools buying black made ? . ? outta here with your fake Afrocentrism, ya'll ain't about that life.

You got me confused Opie.

I dont even use corny played out phrases like "Sell Out", you must have me confused with people in your everyday life...

You Eurocentric people are so white-washed and brain-washed that when people criticize the Euro-vibe on an album and the vibe surrounding the entire project your immediate response is to defend your heroes while normal people simply acknowledge the FACTS about:

the 5 Europeon samples
    the 3 Europeon album/single covers
    the 2 Europeon song titles
    the 2 Europeon guests

...but rabid Stans dont deal with facts.

• usmarin3
    Options
    LOL at Euro vibe of an album, ya'll do realize that BLACK FOLKS CREATED ELECTRONIC MUSIC RIGHT SMH at your ignorant ass talking about European samples and not having the knowledge to know techno/electro music was started by black men from Detroit.

You continue to prove how ignorant you truly are HRAP
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    That ? HRAP like Oswald from In Living Color with his pseudo Afrocentrism and jail knowledge.

1463_512x288_manicured__XArOEYRjA0Sq2CM-37G5NQ.jpg

I dont sound anything like the Gifs you posted, one frightened poster called me "Militant" and said I was into militancy, and I had to correct him and tell him that I enjoy Ciroc and Gucci too much to be a militant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6XXoCQn2Ns
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInRm2jOZO8&feature=related

^^^^Thats what H-Rap sounds like, what do you sound like??

This discussion has been closed.