Does a coaches system really make or break a team?

KplusK
KplusK Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
I mean i was hearing one of these dumb as announcers say if byron scott took over lakers they wouldnt win cause its not phil's system. Now for one i say thier pro's they supposed to be able to adjust to any system ? they gettin paid the money to do so. If im not mistaken scott took a less talented team to 2 finals i believe. I can see if he was talking bout a college kid just entering pro's or highschool to college but not dealing with vets. or am i wrong ?

Comments

• KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Yea it Matters What System Coaches use, Cuz that ? System the Suns,Warriors,And Knicks Use damn sure will never work, Just Focusing on All offense and getting Torched on Defense damn sure wont lead to anything.

But i Like Byron Scott as a Coach , just depends on if he Can Demand the Respect of the players like Phil Can....Each One of them ? had a Reason to shutup and listen to Phil .

It Def Matters , Well IMO i think it matters.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    uh no...sometimes their team is broken b/c their opponent is better.
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Yea it Matters What System Coaches use, Cuz that ? System the Suns,Warriors,And Knicks Use damn sure will never work, Just Focusing on All offense and getting Torched on Defense damn sure wont lead to anything.

But i Like Byron Scott as a Coach , just depends on if he Can Demand the Respect of the players like Phil Can....Each One of them ? had a Reason to shutup and listen to Phil .

11 of them now...lol
  • KplusK
    edited June 2010

ok i see they str8 run but you still have to play d them ? dont play d at spec phoenix and i believe knicks got out off place pieces so its more the team than the system haventy watched too many golden state games but did like the ones i did theyll be ok in a few years even though did like the meggette trade
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited June 2010
    KplusK wrote: »
    ok i see they str8 run but you still have to play d them ? dont play d at spec phoenix and i believe knicks got out off place pieces so its mor the team than the syatem haventy watched too many golden state games but did like the ones i did theyll be ok in a few years even though did like the meggette trade

Thats my Point tho' They're System doesnt stress defense, the coaches dont stress it....it's just run up and down the court and score 100 points while giving up 110 points....that ? dont work...all 3 of those teams systems are currently the same..and Golden State out of the 3 teams Are the Worst.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    The importance of coaches in the NBA is vastly overrated......its not like the NFL.

If anything, successful NBA coaches just know how to manage huge egos better than average coaches. Look at Phil Jackson.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    The importance of coaches in the NBA is vastly overrated......its not like the NFL.

If anything, successful NBA coaches just know how to manage huge egos better than average coaches. Look at Phil Jackson.

exactly, thats why college coaches rarely transition well into nba coaches b/c they do not understand the huge egos of the NBA and they are better suited to instruct and have players listen, where the NBA players are better suited to ignore any instruction and call for an iso
  • KplusK
    edited June 2010
    Thats my Point tho' They're System doesnt stress defense, the coaches dont stress it....it's just run up and down the court and score 100 points while giving up 110 points....that ? dont work...all 3 of those teams systems are currently the same..and Golden State out of the 3 teams Are the Worst.
    so you telling me they only practice offence and not defence hell no they practice both the players just dont execute the ? good thats all ? i hear them yelling for defence all the time and stoudimire just stands and look at a ? make a lay up and ? like that
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited June 2010
    KplusK wrote: »
    so you telling me they only practice offence and not defence hell no they practice both the players just dont execute the ? good thats all ? i hear them yelling for defence all the time and stoudimire just stands and look at a ? make a lay up and ? like that

im not saying they dont practice it, but it damn sure isn't stressed in a game, Bruh just watch Suns,Warriors, and Knicks play , all they try and do is aim to outscore teams......Watch a team like the Celtics play and look how Much Defense is Stressed and how they play defense as a entire Unit on the court...

D'Antoni for the knicks dont give a ? about no defense, he didnt give a damn about it when he was with the suns, And Don Nelson dont give a ? either....

you can tell which coaches try to force the issue of defense in their system compared to coaches who just go out there and just try and out score teams...
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Yup, take warriors, suns, Cavs, knicks, etc.. and focus on a half court system and those teams are terrible. The Knicks wouldnt win 5 games. Take the Spurs, Magic, etc... teams with post up guys and try runnin a fast paced system, wont work.

Some coaches and owners are smart enough to either A. Adjust their system to suit the players ability or B. Build up and acquire players who fit their system.

In some cases you can get a player to fit into your system. But these players are rare and usually end up being some of the best.
  • KplusK
    edited June 2010
    Yup, take warriors, suns, Cavs, knicks, etc.. and focus on a half court system and those teams are terrible. The Knicks wouldnt win 5 games. Take the Spurs, Magic, etc... teams with post up guys and try runnin a fast paced system, wont work.

Some coaches and owners are smart enough to either A. Adjust their system to suit the players ability or B. Build up and acquire players who fit their system.

In some cases you can't get a player to fit into your system. But these players are rare and usually end up being some of the best.

thats my point with the right players in the roster the coachessystem should be good unless just a bad coach or the players just dont want to play for him put to say ohh this coach system is crazy like he some type of genuius is crazy to me phils my dude led us to ships and all but to say someone cant coach the lakers cause its a diff system is crazy. the players are their just if they want to play for that guy or not.