You Rep Hip Hop? Post your collection.....

Options

Comments

• tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1979 rap music
    2vsiv7q.jpg

5d2elx.jpg

5b7h8g.jpg

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    1979 rap music
    2vsiv7q.jpg

5d2elx.jpg

5b7h8g.jpg

Major dapz right here

Man, I was just reflecting. When I used to crate dig, I'd go to independent record stores, not the chains, and the good times. They'd have tables in the back of the store and cats would be back there spinning and anybody could get up there and spin, sometimes it would be a line to get on the tables. And the dj's you'd meet that would exchange cards and info to parties they'd be spinning at, good times, real good times. You can't do that sitting at home downloading off the cpu...
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so hassan i get no GOAT???

biased!
  • king hassan
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »

biased!

I've given you some, Willis what you talking bout. And you keep showing the same stuff over and over
  • tompetrez3
    Options
    More 1979 hip hop artifacts. 1st run OOP pressings
    10z8fgi.jpg
    3329d81.jpg

This record below pre dates rappers delight by 6 months in this retail format for the title of first official rap record. My dad told me he had a promo white label version from 1978 and there are more obscure regional rap records from New York that were pressed from 1975-1979 that can hold the title as first hip hop record.
    23ve4gi.jpg
  • tompetrez3
    Options
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    @GalouDaBklynKing thats a dope collection. He had 8 Off in there, lol. Cool
  • king hassan
    Options
    scrapper1 wrote: »
    @GalouDaBklynKing thats a dope collection. He had 8 Off in there, lol. Cool

A lot of cats don't know 8 Off is Agallah now
  • tompetrez3
    Options
    dxo4fk.jpg

This tape has special meaning to me. It's one of the first pieces of hip hop media I started with back in 1986 and I held on this copy since. Its also my first exposure to grey market bootlegs. I'm really hoping someone can recognize and tell me a bit more about these kind of cassettes. My dad was stationed in Japan 85-86 and he used to periodically mail loads of these type of cassettes home. When I was younger he told me they had a record store outside the base where you can tell them whatever songs or albums you wanted and comeback the next day to pick your tapes up. These tapes used to have "p.funk" "maxwell" "TDC" or "SST" on them. The only people that I have seen with these tapes are families of armed forces service members. I haven't seen ones besides my own since 1989. Do any elder IC members have or seen these kind of tapes?

30ncaom.jpg
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ohh ? this thread Dope as ? . Some real Hip Hop Heads Out Here. Boutta take some Pics Ill be back loll
  • king hassan
    Options
    ATCQ-Hits, Rarities & Remixes2hi3yf4.jpg
  • king hassan
    Options
    dxo4fk.jpg

This tape has special meaning to me. It's one of the first pieces of hip hop media I started with back in 1986 and I held on this copy since. Its also my first exposure to grey market bootlegs. I'm really hoping someone can recognize and tell me a bit more about these kind of cassettes. My dad was stationed in Japan 85-86 and he used to periodically mail loads of these type of cassettes home. When I was younger he told me they had a record store outside the base where you can tell them whatever songs or albums you wanted and comeback the next day to pick your tapes up. These tapes used to have "p.funk" "maxwell" "TDC" or "SST" on them. The only people that I have seen with these tapes are families of armed forces service members. I haven't seen ones besides my own since 1989. Do any elder IC members have or seen these kind of tapes?

30ncaom.jpg

The old military bootleggs, yes sir, know about those. A lot of the cats in the hood that went when we were youngins used to come back with them all the time. And when I went in in the early 90's we had the Thompson Originals, I still have some. And Loose Ends was that ? in 86, they brought that British Soul
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    LOL my pops got some of them tapes. I thought everybody had them, guess not.
  • tompetrez3
    Options
    dxo4fk.jpg

30ncaom.jpg

The old military bootleggs, yes sir, know about those. A lot of the cats in the hood that went when we were youngins used to come back with them all the time. And when I went in in the early 90's we had the Thompson Originals, I still have some. And Loose Ends was that ? in 86, they brought that British Soul

Thank you so much for the info!!!. I have been wondering about these tapes since childhood!
  • king hassan
    Options
    dxo4fk.jpg

30ncaom.jpg

Thank you so much for the info!!!. I have been wondering about these tapes since childhood!

No problem homie, ? used to be goat when the older cats used to come back from overseas with the new whips and coming by the crib and bend some corners with you hipping you to the music. And I remember that song "Barbaras Bedroom" by Whistle. And they had another song calle "Buggin" too that was the joint
  • king hassan
    Options
    Some more cassettes
    Dark Sun Riders with Brother J from X-Clan, Raiders of the Lost Art Compilation album, lot of real 80 cts, Busy Bee, Smif and Wesson the Shining Album, Redman Funko Rama ? single, Fresh Sound Track, RUN DMC, and Black Rocka and Ron308eh3l.jpg
  • king hassan
    Options
    Original Flavor-Can I Get Open w/Jay-Z ? single. ? was sitting in the window for years and the cover faded lol 1zz2l1j.jpg
  • king hassan
    Options
    @Galou, that's the first song that popped in my head when I saw his name mentioned
  • _Menace_
    Options

biased!

I've given you some, Willis what you talking bout. And you keep showing the same stuff over and over

lol I add new pics and add the old ones so people dont need to go digging in this thread to see the whole collection
  • _Menace_
    Options
    here's more.....

a little update...

Finished with 2Pac and Mariah bout to finish my Billy Joel collection and Marvin Gaye... just about finished Sinatra and NaS...

1_zpscdadff86.png

3_zpsd55230ca.png

2_zps7b77e9ce.png

Untitled-1_zpsa96f1862.png

dsc04950w.jpg

$%28KGrHqJ,!ooFBsb45j+SBQczW!phG!~~60_35.JPG

KGrHqFjkFD1HN61hYBQ-QTczbNw60_57_zps66101250.jpg

KGrHqVnkE9c7Esr2eBPfzd1cv0w60_12_zps90ac9a4b.jpg

KGrHqJrgFDq-J6rrJBQ3INWDQ60_57_zpsd2dd35d4.jpg

734896_10151676768537468_1529534831_n_zps4a3f92dc.jpg

184499_10151589211132468_570081818_n_zps8afb15a4.jpg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image.jpeg

579033_10151536558327468_1951795525_n.jpg

photo.jpg

KGrHqNiEFD0DWLE3BREqWrG8g60_57_zpsd7b2e616.jpg

Quoted for dopeness
  • tompetrez3
    Options
    I want a Billy Joel collection like yours menace.

2qa0gex.jpg
  • _Menace_
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I want a Billy Joel collection like yours menace.

2qa0gex.jpg

That's my favorite album I got 2 vinyls a cd a a tape of it

My billy joel collection is no joke I got tapes
    and CD's and Vinyls and mostly some doubles

15 CDs (4 Double Discs)
    16 Vinyls
    9 Tapes

Pac and Billy Joel are the ones in my collection where I got too much doubles...
  • tompetrez3
    Options
    1980-1981 rap records
    10d8qqx.jpg
    15xo11h.jpg
    30tl3de.jpg
    2zyiedt.jpg
  • tompetrez3
    Options
    More 1980-1981 rap records