Poorly written article....
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to summarize, harrison barnes just aint that good
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i read it earlier...dude just not as good as people were making him out to be:

can't create his own shot off the dribble
    plays with no urgency
    not a great defender
    stands on the parameter too much

with that said, he'll still be a lottery pick
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didnt really get the point of his article besides pointing out how weak Harrison Barnes game is

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Barnes did what his coached wanted him to do.

He got game and yall who say he dont yall must have never played before
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blame the "scouts" and the media. not Barnes. He never said he was the best recruit in a while. He never said he was a lottery pick. He came in and played his game. He has been a let down but that's not all his fault since he never placed those expectations on himself
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @matt, the same could be said about 90% of busts or "let-downs".

I can't think of a bust that publicly said "I'm coming in to ? ? up!"
    On some ol Step Brothers type ish.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What were ppl expecting though..it s college bball.. Seldom u see players at major schools put the team on their backs and ball out. But the improvement from the freshman to the sophomore is there. Ppl acting like his issues cannot be fixed. ? it only took D Rose a couple of seasons as a pro to find a jumper.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @matt, the same could be said about 90% of busts or "let-downs".

I can't think of a bust that publicly said "I'm coming in to ? ? up!"
    On some ol Step Brothers type ish.

lmao pretty much

• tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Again, I don't think any of this myopia is Harrison Barnes's fault. We live in a cannibalistic era where sports news exists only for its own sake, and therefore every bit of information about a 17-year-old phenom gets inflated and distorted. Harrison Barnes, at the age of 17, believed he was an NBA brand because everyone in the country already assumed he'd win the Naismith and go on to be the first pick in the draft. But all those interviews, all those press conferences, and all that hype had their effect.

I can see folks conveniently missed this part of the article
  • R.D.
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Barnes did what his coached wanted him to do.

He got game and yall who say he dont yall must have never played before

No he didn't and no he doesn't !

His bread and butter is supposed to be scoring cause he doesn't do much else and he's only average at it

He's slow, cant get to the rim and when he does, cant finish
  • Matt-
    Options

Thats true And 90% of the time people blame the players and continue to put their trust in "experts" who rank players.

It's similar to preseason college football polls. A team gets voted in the top 5 or top 10 then has an average season and people blame the team when they never should have had that "top 5" label put on them in the first place

And I don't think there is anyway to say that him doing interviews had an effect because that's 100% speculation. If you believe that the. You have to believe he would have been the player of the year had he not done those interviews and had the hype. It's silly to look at things that way and come to an absolute conclusion. That's lazy journalism and analysis
  • R.D.
    Options
    agreed

the article was just him saying Barnes wasnt good and tying in other BS to make the article seem interesting
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So i guess we cant say that players are busts and that teams underachieve anymore because its the "media and fans fault" for expecting a certain level of performance out of them?

Yeah thats cool.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Dude offensive skill set is great

He has that Joe Johnson mind-set though

Has the talent but not aggressive enough
    ^^^This
  • Matt-
    Options
    And I'm no great fan of his but he did average 15 and 17 pts in his first 2 seasons. He isn't going to have many assists because that's not his job. They have the best passing of in the nation and he won't get many rebounds because he plays with Henson and zeller, but I think he got 4 or 5 a game. His problem is he can't dribble. He can create his own shots when he just has to do a step back or fadeaway or something with minimal dribbling. And he's way too inefficient as a shooter. The great thing is that can be corrected and I think he will correct it and once he does, he could prove worthy of being a top 5 pick.
  • Matt-
    edited March 2012
    Options
    So i guess we cant say that players are busts and that teams underachieve anymore because its the "media and fans fault" for expecting a certain level of performance out of them?
    Giving someone that label implies you thought they were going to be a certain type of player. And if they don't turn into that player, doesn't it say more about your ability to evaluate talent? Not you personally, but the people that place labels on guys.

Adam Morrison was a top 10 pick but damn near everyone knew he wouldn't be ? in the NBA, is he a bust simply because of where he was drafted? He was who we thought he was. What if he was the 50th pick? Should he still get that label?
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Barnes been overrated.
    Don't need to read an article to know that.
  • Matt-
    Options
    Scouting report:

Harrison Barnes, 6-6, 206, Ames, Iowa: Allow me to damn Barnes with faint praise. For someone who is widely recognized one of the top three players in his class, he's a little underwhelming. He's not a freak athlete by any measure, and he certainly does not strike me as a candidate to be one-done
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO he will be a better NBA player than he was in COllege.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    seems like he has joe johnson disease
  • R.D.
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    seems like he has joe johnson disease

he remind me of a less talented Rashad McCants except he bigger so i expected more from him
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What were ppl expecting though..it s college bball.. Seldom u see players at major schools put the team on their backs and ball out. But the improvement from the freshman to the sophomore is there. Ppl acting like his issues cannot be fixed. ? it only took D Rose a couple of seasons as a pro to find a jumper.

LoL @ u comparing the issues Rose had with the issues Barnes has ....

I knew Rose was special when I saw the "highlights" of his first game at Memphis, I told myself "dude can't be ? wit" ....

this Barnes fella was used by the media and now he's being spit out like bad food ....

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Be$T_1 wrote: »

LoL @ u comparing the issues Rose had with the issues Barnes has ....

I knew Rose was special when I saw the "highlights" of his first game at Memphis, I told myself "dude can't be ? wit" ....

this Barnes fella was used by the media and now he's being spit out like bad food ....

? i been knowing Drose since he was in 8th grade( when we all said he going to the league), he kicked our ass in bball when he was in 8th grade. 2 I was alluding to the fact that like Rose, Barnes issues can be fixed w some time in the gym. If Rose had not gotten that jumper. He d never been MVP and etc...
  • R.D.
    Options
    Barnes has far more issues than Rose

His offensive game is limited to his step back jumper and he does nothing else

With high praise comes high expectations and he turned out to be less than underwhelming