[SINGLE ADDED!] Aesop Rock to Drop New Album - Skelethon (2012) on July 10th [Artwork]

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in The Essence
AesopRockSkelethonCover.jpg
Rymesayers wrote:
Aesop Rock is joining forces with Rhymesayers to release his sixth studio album, Skelethon, on July 10th 2012. Since the release of None Shall Pass in 2007, we've seen Aesop Rock touring the world, launching online arts outlet, 900bats.com, and collaborating on LPs with Felt, Hail Mary Mallon, the Uncluded and more. Skelethon not only sees the rapper back waxing poetically on his own but also marks his first wholly self-produced effort. While the sounds are familiar, we see Aesop venturing in some exciting new directions with guest appearances from indie rock archetype, Kimya Dawson, as well as Allyson Baker of ? Ghosts, Hanni El Khatib, Nicky Fleming-Yaryan, Rob Sonic, DJ Big Wiz and the Grimace Federation.

From another blog:
exclaim.ca wrote:
According to an announcement from the label, the 15-song collection "follows in the wake of several deep personal losses and highlights subject matter that deals with the sometimes-futile ways people try to cope with serious issue."

It will be available in CD, digital and vinyl formats. See the tracklist below

Skelethon:

1. Leisureforce

2. ZZZ Top

3. Cycles to Gehenna

4. Zero Dark Thirty

5. Fryerstarter

6. Ruby '81

7. Crows 1

8. Crows 2

9. Racing Stripes

10. 1,000 O'Clock

11. Homemade Mummy

12. Grace

13. Saturn Missiles

14. Tetra

15. Gopher Guts

Sounds like a real, true personal effort from Aesop. He has some of my favourite songs in his catalog, namely the ones below that are true classics, IMO.

Can't wait for this album to drop!!! Does anyone know much about the featured artists bolded at the top?

Some of my favourites and recent collabs from Aesop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iujjGCoF4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YWqs33vk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTiAdy--FOQ

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds dope. i got the chance to see Aesop live last summer with Murs. you wouldnt think it listening to his music but aesop gives one hell of a live show. Amped and ? !

Good to see him with rhymesayers. although im sad Def Jux is still in their hiatus. The features, the only ones i know are Rob Sonic and DJ Big Wiz. both are in his group Hail Mary Mallon. Rob sonics cool. hes not all metaphorical like aesop but hes pretty dope.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    And aesop never dissappoints with the album art. i think it was none shall pass that he painted himself. or it was labor days. both dope album covers tho.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Sounds dope. i got the chance to see Aesop live last summer with Murs. you wouldnt think it listening to his music but aesop gives one hell of a live show. Amped and ? !

Good to see him with rhymesayers. although im sad Def Jux is still in their hiatus. The features, the only ones i know are Rob Sonic and DJ Big Wiz. both are in his group Hail Mary Mallon. Rob sonics cool. hes not all metaphorical like aesop but hes pretty dope.

Sounds a good concert! I've got Masta Ace coming up, along with Brother Ali and Budo with Grieves. Followed by Coldplay and Jay-Z/Kanye West a few weeks later… looking forward to concert season!

Yeah, Def Jux has been down a good while as well. It is a shame. It's great that Aesop is coming out though… he's one of the reasons I got into philosophy through his name… I remember Hail Mary Mallon dropping, I never checked it out though.

Any good if you heard it???

Here's some of his album art, agreed at what you posted above :tu

bazookatooth_cover.jpg

None_Shall_Pass-Aesop_Rock_480.jpg

Aesop-Rock-Labor-Days-Album-Art-468x468.jpg

Daylight.jpg
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aesop is a dope Long Island emcee.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    word life cant ? wait for this. Been waiting for him to come back. that Hail Mary Mallon album is pretty cool tho. and as for as the features all i know is Rob and Dj Wiz.
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    Options
    Cant wait for this!! Always been a fan of aesop as a producer and emcee. His nike + mix was dope if you guys havent heard it yet. Also whats interesting to me, is that he is putting this out on rhymesayers. I'd say rhymesayers is becoming quite the powerhouse of independent hiphop
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2012
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    word life cant ? wait for this. Been waiting for him to come back. that Hail Mary Mallon album is pretty cool tho. and as for as the features all i know is Rob and Dj Wiz.

I'm looking forward to it too, doesn't seem to have been as many albums dropped this quarter in the underground... unless I've been sleeping.

What's some of the best tracks on there (HMM)???
    Cant wait for this!! Always been a fan of aesop as a producer and emcee. His nike + mix was dope if you guys havent heard it yet. Also whats interesting to me, is that he is putting this out on rhymesayers. I'd say rhymesayers is becoming quite the powerhouse of independent hiphop

He's producing all the tracks, so sure you'll be into it!

I'll check that Nike+ mix, I love Nike+ trainers (on a side-note!)

Rhymesayers is pretty much the powerhouse, no??? Who else competes besides MMG, QN5 and Stones Throw???
  • satyrone
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

I'm looking forward to it too, doesn't seem to have been as many albums dropped this quarter in the underground... unless I've been sleeping.

Rhymesayers is pretty much the powerhouse, no??? Who else competes besides MMG, QN5 and Stones Throw???

yea nothing on the underground as of late but a few mixtapes from some underground artist tho. as far as that hail mary mallon ive listened to it a few times so havent got a chance to get deep with it yet but imma about to throw it in the ithouch soon for work.
  • RuffDraft
    Options

yea nothing on the underground as of late but a few mixtapes from some underground artist tho. as far as that hail mary mallon ive listened to it a few times so havent got a chance to get deep with it yet but imma about to throw it in the ithouch soon for work.

Think I'm with you on that HMM! I'll be back with my thoughts and it should hold me in good stead until this drops...
  • RuffDraft
    Options
  • satyrone
    Options
    Oh ? imma have to listen
  • satyrone
    Options
    single is dope jus listened to it. really cant wait for this to drop
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    single is dope jus listened to it. really cant wait for this to drop

Agreed. Massive fan of the single too!
  • People These Days
    People These Days Members Posts: 3
    Options
    Aesop Rock is my favorite rapper. Thank you for posting this for me to come across this. I haven't even looked for anything new coming from him in forever. And is ASAP Rocky a parody of Aesop Rock? Because I hope to ? that it isn't...
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Aesop Rock is my favorite rapper. Thank you for posting this for me to come across this. I haven't even looked for anything new coming from him in forever. And is ASAP Rocky a parody of Aesop Rock? Because I hope to ? that it isn't...

You're welcome.

I haven't really checked ASAP Rocky, but I don't believe so...

Asop's set to drop, can't wait!!

Really like the single as well, what do you think of it?
  • satyrone
    Options
    damn thats right around the conrner i know hes comming to town. i dont know if i can makek out to catch the show.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

You're welcome.

I haven't really checked ASAP Rocky, but I don't believe so...

Asop's set to drop, can't wait!!

Really like the single as well, what do you think of it?

Nah hes not a parody of Aesop. He's a young rapper from Harlem. A$AP is his crew. it's an acronym cant remember what it means. Hes a more mainstream rapper. Raps like he's from texas kinda lol

• Lou Cypher
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    damn thats right around the conrner i know hes comming to town. i dont know if i can makek out to catch the show.

That'd be an amazing show, check it out!

Nah hes not a parody of Aesop. He's a young rapper from Harlem. A$AP is his crew. it's an acronym cant remember what it means. Hes a more mainstream rapper. Raps like he's from texas kinda lol

You a fan Lou? What's his best song? Can't say I've ever felt the need to search him out.
  • satyrone
    edited June 2012
    Options

You a fan Lou? What's his best song? Can't say I've ever felt the need to search him out.

ASAP Rocky cool he a NY rapper but his sound is very southern influence. he has a nice flow but nothing amazing. some songs to check out is

Bass
    Palace
    Trilla
    Kissin Pink
    Demons
    Goldie
    Leaf
    Out of this world

His mixtape/album is out on Datpiff and livemixtapes you can listen foryourself. like i said hes cool not great and i ? with him.
  • RuffDraft
    Options

ASAP Rocky cool he a NY rapper but his sound is very southern influence. he has a nice flow but nothing amazing. some songs to check out is

Bass
    Palace
    Trilla
    Kissin Pink
    Demons
    Goldie
    Leaf
    Out of this world

His mixtape/album is out on Datpiff and livemixtapes you can listen foryourself. like i said hes cool not great and i ? with him.

I'll check some of the songs you posted, props :tu
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Cant say that im a fan of ASAP but hes not as bad as people listening to Kreayshawn and lil B lol.

Everything Is Purple is a alright song
  • satyrone
    Options
    Cant say that im a fan of ASAP but hes not as bad as people listening to Kreayshawn and lil B lol.

yea ai cant listen to him he has a good flow. he needs to step his lyric game up but its not bad. I misssed when he came out here to Denver. he throws a good show,ill have to catch him next time same with Childish Gambino.
  • RuffDraft
    Options

Lol I'll check that now then if you're a critic. Then check out Satyr's recommendations.
  • satyrone
    Options
    well today is the day. i just copped ill be listen to this at work tomorrow. been waiting for this cant wait to hear.