NCAA and NBA beefing over One and Done's

Options

Comments

• one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sure guys like Sebastian Telfair, Jonathan ? and Amir Johnson are all impact players who went from high school straight to the NBA. Some guys really do need to go college for a minimum of two years athleticism alone will not get you far in the NBA. You can dominate in high school ball but each level comes with challenges and obstacles. If the NCAA paid these student athletes rather than making them slaves to their million dollar programs a lot more would stay the 1-2years in college.

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pay them kids first
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    honestly the NBA should actually be embarrassed

It should be a smack in the face for current NBA players when so many kids feel like they can go straight to the league after 1 yr

This is more how I feel...I'm tired of the one and done's coming to the league barely developed and franchises being set back years because they blew a high draft pick on someone who was nowhere near developed enough for the NBA...John Wall should have kept his ass in school and developed a better jumper...yeah he's fast as ? but that's about it...
  • one_manshow
    Options
    if we aint talking about paying them... we talking about slavery...

How much should they be paid along with the free education?
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @onemanshow
    You do know they can lose their scholarship at anytime right?
    If they have straight As but a horrible season the school can cut them
  • one_manshow
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    @onemanshow
    You do know they can lose their scholarship at anytime right?
    If they have straight As but a horrible season the school can cut them

I understand that.

Top programs don't recruit wack players majority of these million dollar programs generate their revenue off these players who can't even receive new pair of shoes from an outside source. These coaches been running under the table deals its just a matter of who gets caught.

• one_manshow
    Options

how is their education free when they provide a service to the University... I'll wait...

Service that is provided from October-March to play ball display/show case their talent to NBA scouts.

Free tuition that can equal to $100,000+ over four year degree along with money under the table from top sports agent if you are an automatic first round lottery pick.

Why do all scandals break out once a player leaves the school ever though of that? E.g Derrick Rose at Memphis

• one_manshow
    edited April 2012
    Options
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They just need to have it where if you get drafted you go to the nbdl and the nba can call you up when ready, if not you have to go to ncaa for 3the years. Weeds out bad players. This is close like the mlb system.
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    whats the problem with doing in the football way?

I obviously know why football doesn't allow 18 year old kids to play in the league, and its not the same as 18 years olds playing in the NBA, but the rule itself would be great for both NBA and NCAA.

Football need size and stuff. Most kids don't got that from HS in Football. Maybe Julio Jones and Adrian Peterson. In the NBA, most of those stud recruits were studs in HS too. They don't need college.
  • #1 pick
    Options

how is their education free when they provide a service to the University... I'll wait...

Service that is provided from October-March to play ball display/show case their talent to NBA scouts.

Free tuition that can equal to $100,000+ over four year degree along with money under the table from top sports agent if you are an automatic first round lottery pick.

Why do all scandals break out once a player leaves the school ever though of that? E.g Derrick Rose at Memphis
    a lot of them graduate and can't get a job. They are generally black, corporate America still ain't big on a brother for the most pt.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    A mandatory year in the D-League for one and done's sounds fair

intriguing thought
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #1 pick wrote: »
    a lot of them graduate and can't get a job. They are generally black, corporate America still ain't big on a brother for the most pt.

dude...stop.....
  • Focal Point
    Options
    Pay students and the ? is no longer amature and if you thought ? was crooked before... wait until that happens
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One and done is dumb. Why one year? May as well alllow them to go straight out of HS.

Its ruining the NCAA game too i think. I know individually its about securing paper but i like how the NFL does it better than the NBA.
  • #1 pick
    Options
    NCAA don't want the best HS players to go to the NBA straight up. Those guys are normally the game changers. They would be stars if they went to the NBA of the HS.
  • Focal Point
    Options
    NCAA don't want the best HS players to go to the NBA straight up. Those guys are normally the game changers. They would be stars if they went to the NBA of the HS.

not everybody out of high school does well there are a lot of failures there
  • Focal Point
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    Pay students and the ? is no longer amature and if you thought ? was crooked before... wait until that happens

other than the kids not getting paid, what makes College ball "amateur"?

because college is a learning institution...
  • #1 pick
    Options

The guys who failed out of HS to the NBA would fail in college too. They just weren't good Basketball players. They might have had the tools but didn't have the skills or IQ. Gerald Green would be stupid in Boston or Ok State no matter what.

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this ? ... hockey and baseball players be ? teenagers and they have no issue....
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I say it again a guy like Anthony Davis is ready but imagine him spending one more year to develop his body in college. Thats the thing I hate about 1 and done players you don't get to see them truly develop as players in college like say a Ray Allen or a Tim Duncan back in the day.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    this ? ... hockey and baseball players be ? teenagers and they have no issue....

1309422978-37.jpg
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blame Stern for the facist-ass ? .

I told y'all, he needs to reisgn...like three years ago.
  • afromo
    afromo Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »

1309422978-37.jpg
    dead
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

The guys who failed out of HS to the NBA would fail in college too. They just weren't good Basketball players. They might have had the tools but didn't have the skills or IQ. Gerald Green would be stupid in Boston or Ok State no matter what.

That's not true at all...far from the truth