Comments

• #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    #1 pick wrote: »
    c1up wrote: »
    NCAA don't want the best HS players to go to the NBA straight up. Those guys are normally the game changers. They would be stars if they went to the NBA of the HS.

not everybody out of high school does well there are a lot of failures there

The guys who failed out of HS to the NBA would fail in college too. They just weren't good Basketball players. They might have had the tools but didn't have the skills or IQ. Gerald Green would be stupid in Boston or Ok State no matter what.

That's not true at all...far from the truth

Proof?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    this ? ... hockey and baseball players be ? teenagers and they have no issue....

1309422978-37.jpg

lol good one
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NCAA don't want the best HS players to go to the NBA straight up. Those guys are normally the game changers. They would be stars if they went to the NBA of the HS.

not everybody out of high school does well there are a lot of failures there
    The guys who failed out of HS to the NBA would fail in college too. They just weren't good Basketball players. They might have had the tools but didn't have the skills or IQ. Gerald Green would be stupid in Boston or Ok State no matter what.

but with college some learning could be achieved where as when you come in the league a lot is already expected of you to know.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pay students and the ? is no longer amature and if you thought ? was crooked before... wait until that happens

other than the kids not getting paid, what makes College ball "amateur"?

because college is a learning institution...

that makes no sense... are the professors, coaches, deans, sportscasters, etc amateurs? lol
    Pay students and the ? is no longer amature and if you thought ? was crooked before... wait until that happens

other than the kids not getting paid, what makes College ball "amateur"?

well, I was always under the impression that anything, in any situation that's not professional, is amateur(shady mechanics, unlicensed barbers, etc. etc.)

lol... that doesn't explain how college ball is "amateur" athletics... oh because they tell u so? the only difference is that they don't pay the players...

well wouldn't the professors, coaches, deans, and the such being paid be professionals? The athletes are there first and foremost for an education, the athletics are secondary even if you, me, and everyone else knows that they aren't all thinking about it in that way
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so we expect these kids to play for free because we want to believe that its about education? lol...
    this is why the poor stay getting ? in this country...
    the power elite are playing chess and u ? wanna play make believe...

Last time I checked not every lottery pick stays in the league longer than 5+ years. I can name a list of players who were amazing at the college level but when they entered the NBA their game did not improve, they were unable to adapt or took their game overseas. The NBA is a mans game college ball success does not equal NBA success at all. Coaches like Calhoun, Boheim and Calipari have a recruiting team that scouts high school kids across the nation...these same kids also get paid to commit to a school this whole " I chose *insert name of school* because of their coach and history" is a ? top programs get the most money to go after these kids and their families.

Regardless of the fact these players get paid under the table these rules and sanctions by NCAA don't mean ? . The top notch programs will offer anything to a player who will generate money to their program or help them win a title. So whether you pay them $20k per season or not it doesn't matter because some agent out there is already plotting and scheming.

• one_manshow
    edited April 2012
    Options
  • one_manshow
    edited April 2012
    Options
  • one_manshow
    Options
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What everyone seems to be missing is everytime a enrolled student drops out or does not finish thier degree it hurts an institutions academic standing whihc in tail can mess with alot more things. This also factors into apr for sports. Uconn is banned from next years tourney because they have a 27% graduation rate. One and dones do count toward that. I think Tennessee was on that list also. So academics do play a part in all this. If athletes want to get paided they gonna have to invest time to help the universities also.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if ncaa wants to get cooperation from the nba, 2 things need to happen.
    1 completely adopt nba rules.
    less draft busts will occur if the players actually have to learn the profession they are being hired for (kind of like a real job)
    the shortened schedule will make it like an internship
    second, the ncaa needs to pay the difference to the nba for draft bonuses.
    i wont jump off the deep end and say for the full draft, but for the lottery.
    have the ncaa pay either an extra guarenteed year of the rookie contract or a bonus 1 mill for every year of college completed.

they make money off these marquee players for all the extra time they stay in college, well this is how you pay them back.
    a mill (or maybe the league minimum) bonus for every year of college you put in to lottery picks fixes 2 problems
    1 it makes a player stay and get his education for free with the incentive that if he excells enough in college to become a lottery he gets more money (this is how college works with every other profession)

2 stern gets more refined products and the ncaa gets to build programs off of teams that stick together more.
    coaches like calipari get to have revolving door programs with talent that gells and learns the high pace of the game.
    and it will be infectious to other schools who will have no choice but to adapt to the players rather than having the players adapt to their system.
    we've all seen too many players get their games watered down to fit a coaches system and then lose their 1 on 1 skills
  • one_manshow
    edited April 2012
    Options
    so we expect these kids to play for free because we want to believe that its about education? lol...
    this is why the poor stay getting ? in this country...
    the power elite are playing chess and u ? wanna play make believe...

Last time I checked not every lottery pick stays in the league longer than 5+ years. I can name a list of players who were amazing at the college level but when they entered the NBA their game did not improve, they were unable to adapt or took their game overseas. The NBA is a mans game college ball success does not equal NBA success at all. Coaches like Calhoun, Boheim and Calipari have a recruiting team that scouts high school kids across the nation...these same kids also get paid to commit to a school this whole " I chose *insert name of school* because of their coach and history" is a ? top programs get the most money to go after these kids and their families.

Regardless of the fact these players get paid under the table these rules and sanctions by NCAA don't mean ? . The top notch programs will offer anything to a player who will generate money to their program or help them win a title. So whether you pay them $20k per season or not it doesn't matter because some agent out there is already plotting and scheming.

ok...
    my position has nothing to do with the success rate of kids that go to the NBA... nice paragraph though...

Your position focuses on paying them and profits and all this "capitalist" non sense.

Your argument is pay them yet you haven't typed one single post in this thread backing up ? nor did you state facts.

Change your name to TrollingViolence.