Cemeteries are a waste of space

Options
Knives Amilli
Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
Really. Your ? dead. Is it really necessary to dig up a bunch of land, line it with concrete, and drop a big ass box into it with your dead ass?

People wanna have some record of their existence? Get a ? plaque somewhere. Even better, we live in the digital age. There's no reason why we can't just have a website devoted to record keeping of the dead (prolly already exists).

Harvest my organs then cremate me. ? the dog and pony show of a burial.

Comments

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i feel like that sometimes.....i aint gone give a ? , im dead.....but i would have to have a ceremony for any of my people and i know they feel the same so this probably would never happen.....
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not for the person who died. It's for their family and friends.
  • BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what they said^^^

tho i see your point
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tell them you want to be cremated and your ashes dumped in the ocean so that whatever sea creature eat youmay ? you out.
  • Knives Amilli
    Options

But for what exactly? memories? Got those in the brain and pictures/video. Record of their existence? Well as long as they didn't live off of the grid and typically getting buried implies you were on file somewhere.

Emotional support? Sure but firstly how often do people really visit graves? And secondly Im pretty sure we could condition society to just be happy with some sort of memorial plaque/shrine or whatever.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its a good business move though
  • Knives Amilli
    Options

No doubt. the ultimate con next to being a pastor.
  • BK Product
    Options

thats a good point.. Funerals are expensive as ? !! u die and then your family gotta pay like 5-10 stacks to have you buried
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But for what exactly? memories? Got those in the brain and pictures/video. Record of their existence? Well as long as they didn't live off of the grid and typically getting buried implies you were on file somewhere.

Emotional support? Sure but firstly how often do people really visit graves? And secondly Im pretty sure we could condition society to just be happy with some sort of memorial plaque/shrine or whatever.

When you visit someones grave, you feel connected to them. You feel like they are right next to you. You can talk to them and have a converstaion with them. There is body is in the ground so you feel, for the time that you are at the graveyard, you are with them.

If you havent hadnt anyone close to you die, you will never understand.
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Co ? sign ...I even talked to my parents about this ? ...When they die why do we need to come up outta thousands of dollars to stick them in the ground. Cremation and we are done.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good points, but cemetaries, and funeral homes aren't going anywhere.

Too much money in the business of dying.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good points, but cemetaries, and funeral homes aren't going anywhere.

Too much money in the business of dying.

no their not going anywhere cause old ppl are too superstitious and stuck in their ways to think any differently

the average person looks at funeral as an honor

its like the whole prom argument....its pretty useless in the grand scheme of things but it makes ppl feel good

• BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the ones in other countries are maintained by taxes and fees
    if your family doesnt pay they dig u up
    and ? only knows where they put ya
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Funerals, weddings, and other things are a waste of time, money, and effort yet they are all commonplace. Humans are just a wasteful species. We'll sacrifice real resources gratuitously for fleeting moments of emotional indulgence.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. I've visited one grave in my 25 years of existence and it was because I had to. I hate cemeteries, not because they're "scary" but because, like OP states, it's a huge waste of space. The most pointless thing we've continued to use in our civilization. I told my wife, "how much would you actually visit and why, why dwell on my death? ? ' cremate me and toss me. I'm dead, I don't care what happens." I even said am I worth burying and having to pay thousands of $$ and you guys have to go through all that ? ? Pointless, worthless and a waste.

Sometimes I think if I could, I'd blow cemeteries up. Theres one down the street and it's huge, when I drive by I shake my head. I hardly see anyone there most of the time.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was thinking this same thing a couple of days ago while driving past a cemetary. Cremate me and call it a day. Burial is a waste of time, space and $. Who really gonna give a damn when they're dead?
  • BK Product
    Options
    ^^^Theres one down the street and it's huge, when I drive by I shake my head. I hardly see anyone there most of the time.

yeah theres one down the street from my job... i been working here almost 5 years and have yet to see someone in there, just the groundskeepers..

on a side note my grandpops died 10 years ago in june, id like to go visit his grave.. ? somewhere in upstate NY tho.