They finally indicted the savage that lynched the man by truck dragging

Options
hrap-120
hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/jun/28/solicitor-prepares-grand-jury-indictment-shooting--ar-467011/

http://www.woodtv.com/dpps/news/national/south/sc-police-say-black-man-shot-to-death-body-dragged-jgr_3398522

south%20carolina%20body%20dragged-1303596137.grid-4x2.jpg
Savage arrested for murder

Man shot to death, body dragged

By JAMELLE BOUIE
I have no words for this:
The shooting death of a black man whose body was dragged for several miles is being investigated as a possible hate crime after the arrest of a white man he worked with, South Carolina’s state police chief said.
Gregory Collins, 19, is charged with murder and made his first court appearance Thursday. No bond was set and he did not yet have an attorney, Newberry County Magistrate Ron Halfacre said.
[...]
Newberry County Sheriff Lee Foster said Collins and Hill spent most of Tuesday together and were at Collins’ mobile home late Tuesday evening into Wednesday morning when Hill was shot.
Foster said Collins then attached a nylon rope around Hill’s body and began dragging it behind his truck, apparently until the rope snapped several miles later.
Of course, local law enforcement is quick to pooh pooh the notion that Collins is some kind of racist, since there are no racists in America:

“We don’t want to attribute something to Collins that isn’t necessarily true,” Lloyd said. “But out of precaution, given the circumstances, we are investigating the racial angle.”
I appreciate that police are investigating the racial angle, but it still annoys me to hear law enforcement near-dismiss the possibility that this was racially motivated. No, Collins wasn’t wearing a white hood, and doesn’t appear to have any ? tattoos. But he killed a man and then dragged his body for eleven miles on the back of his truck, which sounds depressingly similar to the 1998 murder of James Byrd Jr., who was chained and dragged for three miles before his death.
That said, cops in South Carolina say that they don’t have a motive for the murder. As you can probably tell, I am very interested to see what comes out of the investigation.

Are you serious, they still lynching people in 2010?!?!?!

Comments