Another Black Man's Murder Swept Under The Rug In Los Angeles by LAPD. Killer is not Arrested.

Options
Purr
Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
In Los Angeles, it is not against the law to drive without a driver's license. Many undocumented illegal immigrants dont have drivers license and insurance.

"We had planned to start our family this year. But now, instead of picking out baby cribs, I had to pick out a casket..." JANELL DUNN

Dunn was married and lived with his wife, Janell, in Lawndale. Last February 28, he was delivering mail in East L.A., standing behind his parked postal truck, when he was struck by a van, driven by Felipe Soto. That action pinned his legs between his postal truck and the van, severing his legs from his body.

When the emergency medical personnel arrived on the scene, they found Dunn in one location and his legs in another. The Los Angeles Fire Department took the body and the legs to L.A. County USC Medical Center. Dunn died the following day, less than 24 hours after the tragedy.

According to the official Traffic Collision Report ([TCR] or police report) dated 2-28-12, the incident occurred during daylight hours; the day was clear; the road surface was dry; and there were no unusual roadway conditions. It further stated that the driver had not been drinking. However, one of the investigating officers also stated in the report, " ... I formed the opinion that ... Because of the lack of evidence of intoxication, I did not administer the SFST to P-1 (Soto)." [SFST stands for Standard Field Sobriety Test].

The TCR also stated that a request for filing against the driver of the vehicle that hit Dunn was for Vehicle Code violations as an unlicensed driver and for having no insurance. And an additional cause cited was for violation of Vehicle Code Section 21658(a): Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such movement can be made with reasonable safety.

Soto's vehicle was impounded. But nowhere in the report did it state that he was taken into custody or at least detained for further investigation. It appeared that after causing such a gruesome accident that severed a man's legs - in addition to driving without a valid license and having no insurance - Soto would have at least been detained. But HE WAS RELEASED.

Sources told the Sentinel, that the case was referred to the district attorney, and he declined to file charges against Soto. It was referred to the city attorney and as of this writing, the Sentinel has learned that the charges filed against Soto include one MISDEMEANOR count of manslaughter; one count of driving without a valid license; and an infraction: failing to have insurance. And he still has not been arrested. (Manslaughter and misdemeanor seems to be an oxymoron).

It would appear that the national uproar about the case of Trayvon Martin in Sandford, Florida, and the refusal of the police department there to arrest and charge his killer, may have prompted the filing of charges here against Soto.

In his statement in the TCR, Soto claimed: "I observed a small dog ...I swerved to avoid the dog and I collided with a postal car ..." But two eye witnesses stated that Soto was wearing headphones and was holding his phone in his hand.
And one of them also said, "...he told the tow truck driver that he swerved to avoid a dog, but there was no dog there. I would have seen one if it was there..."

On speaking to legal experts, the Sentinel was told that those are the appropriate charges unless there was negligence on the part of Soto or if he was under the influence. In such instances, he could be charged with a felony and be arrested.

According to Dunn's mother, Felicia Smith, " ... he (Soto) was driving under a suspended license, no insurance, and on his cell phone. He was not given a breath analyzer (the officer stated he didn't appear to have been drinking). I feel with it being such a horrific accident more actions should have been taken ..." Those things seem to rise to the threshold of negligence and it would appear that the misdemeanor filing is inappropriate.

Attorney Walter Mosley, Dunn's family attorney told the Sentinel that there will be an Arraignment of Felipe Soto on April 20, 2012 at 8:30 a.m. in Dept 60 of the criminal courthouse at 1945 S. Hill Street. That is the traffic court. He also learned from the filing agency, the city attorney's office, that nothing much will happen at the arraignment except the case will be assigned to a deputy attorney for handling and discovery will be exchanged between deputy city attorney and defense counsel. Also that families show up all the time at the arraignment and are disappointed because nothing much happens. Sometimes the defendant is not even there. (Soto does not even have to show up in court).

Attorney Mosley further stated, "We had the Dunn family write letters to the City Attorney to encourage them to be more aggressive in their handling of the matter. This case is not very important to them because the possible jail time is non-existent, the case will be hard to win because of the way the laws are written and they will spend a lot of money to get maybe one year at most.
Again, more than likely they will settle this case very quickly because it's a misdemeanor. We are trying to apply pressure so they actually prosecute it to the full extent of the law (even though the charges have such small sentences)."

Comments

• Purr
    Options
    The letter that Dunn's mother wrote also stated in part, " ... I feel that Anthony, my family, our friends and I have been robbed and cheated by this man Felipe Soto who was the person that was driving the passenger van that hit Anthony.... Felipe Soto lied and said he swerved to avoid hitting a dog. But, instead hit a human. The witness that was traveling behind him said there was no dog around. ... Witnesses also said his first phone call was not to 911 but, to someone else. They had to tell him several times to call 911. He even asked for a coke (soda) ... can you believe that? The officer said he saw a bottle of pills in plain view labeled hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. He said he looked it up on the internet and found that it was used for high blood pressure which is true but, was that really what was in that bottle? It could have been something different. Something just doesn't add up right among other things.

"I feel this is so unfair and that something should be done. This senseless act should not be overlooked. PLEASE HELP US FIND JUSTICE FOR
    ANTHONY............. HE DID NOT DESERVE THIS."

The letter Dunn's wife, Janell Dunn, wrote stated in part, "... I have no husband now. Instead of being one whole, I am one half. We were both in our early 30's. Now since I have finished college; we had planned to start our family this year. But now, instead of picking out baby cribs, I had to pick out a casket..."

On hearing of the tragedy, Congresswoman Maxine Waters stated, "My heart goes out to Mrs. Janell Dunn and her family for the horrendous incident that caused the death of her husband, Anthony Earl Dunn. The incident caused him to have both of his legs severed after being hit by a driver with a suspended license."

Sen. Curren Price (D-Los Angeles), chair of the California Legislative Black Caucus (CLBC), issued the following statement: "The California Legislative Black Caucus believes that this unfortunate and tragic event deserves a full and thorough investigation by law enforcement. It is our expectation that all facts surrounding this case be reviewed by the appropriate authorities and that justice be properly served."

Assemblyman Mike Davis, vice chairman of the CLBC stated, "While the Trayvon Martin case has caused a problem of injustice, so has the Anthony Dunn case in Los Angeles. I have received several comments from constituents on the Anthony Dunn case, a federal postal worker whose legs were severed by a Los Angeles County resident who was declared not intoxicated while driving. There are some questions if he was swerving to avoid a dog according to an eyewitness who did not see an animal at all. This resident was questioned by police and released as a result. However, is this resident a risk to our community when he chooses to drive a vehicle- even though he knew he was unlicensed?"

Dunn was 31 years old and a lifelong resident of Los Angeles. He graduated from Bellflower High School and attended El Camino College. He is survived by his mother and stepfather, Michael Evans, and a host of relatives and friends.

As of this writing, DUNN'S KILLER HAS STILL NOT BEEN ARRESTED!
  • Purr
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The location of the accident

Anthony_Dunn_02.jpg

Anthony Dunn

%27sHeadshot.jpg

4f6ba98895bdf.image.jpg

Soto has not been arrested yet.
  • eternalmoney
    eternalmoney Members Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You really think this is only part 2?

? ? happens to black people everyday as well

as people of all races.

Bad things stay happening to good people.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    honestly dont know what this has to do with being black in America. I also have many Treyvon references but i'll refrain. ? up story doe.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn shame,

sadly being black in america in far too many cases means that you wont be a beneficiary to the very things that we all take for granted... Justice...
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of these posts making it seem like if something bad happens to u in America and u happen to be black its cuz of racism and nothing else...
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    INB4 The car was driven by a racist.
  • eternalmoney
    Options
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    Some of these posts making it seem like if something bad happens to u in America and u happen to be black its cuz of racism and nothing else...

Exactly, thats why she changed the title.

It could have been anybody standing behind that mail truck

but because dude was black its automatically a race thing.

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    INB4 The car was driven by a racist.
    INB4 The cops were racists too, and they profiled the victim as some "mail-delivering thug".
  • Purr
    Options
    It has to do a lot with being black in america. Obviously, you do not live in los angeles, however, LAPD is notorious for racial profiling of black americans and shooting black men with or without a cause. This case was bias because the man was not checked to see if he was ? nor was he arrested at the scene.

It is as if a black life is nothing.

If you need more proof, then PLEASE check out the Grim Reaper's case in Los Angeles, where it is possible that over 100 black women have been murdered over 2 decades by one man who had worked for the LAPD. There was very little national news press because he was black and the victims were black. However, if he killed over 100 white women he would have been burned at the stake and there would be national coverage about the situation.

Or

About a young woman I went to high school with, Matrice, who was possibly killed by Malibu PD. She had a psychotic episode (bi polar) at a restaurant, was handcuff and placed in jail for not paying for her meal (she actually had the money in her wallet), then release at 2am without a phone call to her family or being transported back to her car. Her body was later found in a section of the Malibu mountains where only the Malibu PD is able to access. It was very little national press and the Malibu PD swept it under the rug.

There are more of these cases in Los Angeles being swept under the rug when someone is black is murdered/kidnapped/? .
  • eternalmoney
    Options
    It has to do a lot with being black in america. Obviously, you do not live in los angeles, however, LAPD is notorious for racial profiling of black americans and shooting black men with or without a cause. This case was bias because the man was not checked to see if he was ? nor was he arrested at the scene.

If you need more proof, then PLEASE check out the Grim Reaper's case in Los Angeles, where it is possible that over 100 black women have been murdered over 2 decades by one man who had worked for the LAPD. There was very little national news press because he was black and the victims were black. However, if he killed over 100 white women he would have been burned at the stake and there would be national coverage about the situation.

Or

About a young woman I went to high school with, Matrice, who was possibly killed by Malibu PD. She had a psychotic episode (bi polar) at a restaurant, was handcuff and placed in jail for not paying for her meal (she actually had the money in her wallet), then release at 2am without a phone call to her family or being transported back to her car. Her body was later found in a section of the Malibu mountains where only the Malibu PD is able to access. It was very little national press and the Malibu PD swept it under the rug.

There are more of these cases in Los Angeles being swept under the rug when someone is black is murdered/kidnapped/? .

But these are our problems all around the country, not just L.A.

White woman reports kid missing, Its on national news,

Black woman reports kid missing, she investigated for neglect.

These are everyday problems that won't be changed because

we make a thread about it.

? ain't even in this country and has never been.

What are the Black Caucus and Maxine Waters doing to fix

these issues in L.A.?

• Purr
    Options

Maxine Waters is already on it. Isnt Los angeles one of many cities in the United State?
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Or

i remember seeing it on the news
  • bankrupt baller
    Options
    if 1 white man also killed 100 white woman not a single ? would be given.
  • Purr
    Options
    if 1 white man also killed 100 white woman not a single ? would be given.

oh please... Let's not forget Ted Bundy...
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lurker6 wrote: »

Exactly, thats why she changed the title.

It could have been anybody standing behind that mail truck

but because dude was black its automatically a race thing.

I don't think you're grasping a very simple concept...

anybody could have been standing behind that truck but... if "anybody" happened to be a cracka and not just 3/5 of a human being then most likely the uninsured, unlicensed driver that killed him would have at least been charged with something.
  • bankrupt baller
    Options
    hes the loser brother who didnt score 4 td's in high school....? em.
  • bankrupt baller
    Options
    dont forget is was in one game also...i forgot to add that.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? though cause in Texas if you're driving with no licence and no insurance while black they will take your ass to jail but I'm not surprised dude was let go even being an illegal they have more freedom here than us and they're not even supposed to be here
  • eternalmoney
    Options
    Soul Clapa wrote: »
    Blaccs don't value each others lives so why should others

When ? are killing each other daily and nobody is complaining about it don't start pretending you care when trayvon or this guy gets killed by wetbaccs

• Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    They need to do something about these ? ass illegal mexicans...last november i was hit by a illegal immigrant who was driving ? ,didnt have a drivers license, or a green card and oh yeah did i mention he was a illegal alien.I ended up getting a temp car(my insurance) and the alien ended up in jail the funny thing is the next day the d.a. called me and said they couldnt find any information on this guy and said that he'll be jailed until they send him back to mexico.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When ? are killing each other daily and nobody is complaining about it don't start pretending you care when trayvon or this guy gets killed by wetbaccs

This is also true...but you got whites going ham on each other too and so does other races but to most its just normal to hear about a black man gunning down another black man... hate it has to be that way.
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Last February 28, he was delivering mail in East L.A...."

^^^^His first big mistake.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? though cause in Texas if you're driving with no licence and no insurance while black they will take your ass to jail but I'm not surprised dude was let go even being an illegal they have more freedom here than us and they're not even supposed to be here

Sad but true. Its like some white folk rather see other minorities get more rights than blacks.