ATL HAWKS offer max money to joe johnson

Options

Comments

• freshfromatl
    freshfromatl Members Posts: 559
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ysl313 wrote: »
    I'd rather have Crawford coming of the bench and sharing minutes with Jordan Crawford and maybe even Josh Childress who, liek you said, can push the 1-2-and 3 pretty good. Thats cheaper and i promise could get them to the eastern conference playoffs all awhile saving 8 mill under the cap which would be enough to sign a guy next season or trade for something this season...

I can somewhat agrre with this. But the thing is, who know's just how good Joe would be in a better offensive system. And their was other teams that was goona give Joe the max as well. Probably still will if the Hawks decide to S/T him.
  • freshfromatl
    freshfromatl Members Posts: 559
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ysl313 wrote: »
    The coach is the only thing that COULD make this deal worth something. But Stan Van Gundy is a great coach and he couldn't make Rashard's contract even seem like he was worth half of the money he got...what do you think a new coach could do with Joe Johnson who chocked in the playoffs last year, called the fans useless, and emanded max money and got it PLUS he's gonna be on an eventual down turn between this year and every year his contract rolls on?

Reshard Lewis is a SF that plays PF and refused to go inside and bang and get physical as a PF should. JJ is a SG that was put into a system that forced him to get a shot off in 1 vs 5 basketball. Nobody would be successfull like that. Only thing I'm saying is let see the team under a new coach + with Jeff Teague starting at the point. Also the Hawks still need a real Center.
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I can somewhat agrre with this. But the thing is, who know's just how good Joe would be in a better offensive system. And their was other teams that was goona give Joe the max as well. Probably still will if the Hawks decide to S/T him.

What other teams besides the dumb knicks were planning on offering max money? I don't believe any other team wanted him for max money imo...
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    johnson is not worth a max...

me and my cuz was just talm bout this, how da hell u posed to be a max player, yet when da game is on da line, u dont even get the ball...Jamal Crawford does...
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    johnson is not worth a max...

me and my cuz was just talm bout this, how da hell u posed to be a max player, yet when da game is on da line, u dont even get the ball...Jamal Crawford does...

props bruh. u so right about this...hell i still remember that game winner jamal shot against the suns
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Datdude87 wrote: »
    props bruh. u so right about this...hell i still remember that game winner jamal shot against the suns

I was at this game... I didnt know whether to cheer or cry lol.... the place went nuts....
  • thagame
    thagame Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Joe Johnson himself will tell you this is a bad deal. Al Davis wouldn't even make a stupid deal like this lol!, unless he found out Johnson ran a 4.1 at a combine and he would think twice. The truth is ATL is capable of making the playoffs without Joe Johnson, with him they make the playoffs as a higher seed. You don't give those kind of contracts to players that don't get you over the ? or have you competing for a championship point blank. It is not like JJ is a marketing dollar machine and is the type of talent that brings in high merchandise sales, jerseys, memorabilia, etc. I have no clue what ATL is doing right now.
  • radaman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    thagame wrote: »
    Joe Johnson himself will tell you this is a bad deal. Al Davis wouldn't even make a stupid deal like this lol!, unless he found out Johnson ran a 4.1 at a combine and he would think twice. The truth is ATL is capable of making the playoffs without Joe Johnson, with him they make the playoffs as a higher seed. You don't give those kind of contracts to players that don't get you over the ? or have you competing for a championship point blank. It is not like JJ is a marketing dollar machine and is the type of talent that brings in high merchandise sales, jerseys, memorabilia, etc. I have no clue what ATL is doing right now.

this my friend, is a good post....
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Joe Johnson to sign a ridiculous deal with the Atlanta Hawks

By Kelly Dwyer

It's never a good sign when, a full week before a player is set to put pen to paper to ink his most recent contract, that a good portion of the NBA community regards that contract as the worst it has ever seen.

Not the worst trade, nor the worst draft selection. And we're not talking about considering Joe Johnson's(notes) new contract with the Atlanta Hawks (as first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski) as the worst contract we've ever seen a few years into the deal, or a few years after it expires in retrospect.

We're feeling this way, right now. On July 1, seven days before he even gets to sign the deal. Worst contract, ever.

It's that bad. Six years, and $119 million dollars for a player regarded as a second option at best on a great team. At best. Johnson will be 29 years of age to start this contract, 35 to end it, so Atlanta will get his one peak season (unless last year's run of over 21 points and a combined 9.5 rebounds/assists was the best we've seen), and then the downfall.

At about $20 million a year.

Bear in mind that Johnson achieved those stats by absolutely dominating the ball for the Hawks. Just owning it, for large stretches, forcing either a potential score or a potential assist to be added to his ledger just about every other time down court. All while playing huge minutes, 38 per game in fact; which was actually the lowest mark we've seen from Johnson since his second year in the league.

It's just an astonishing deal, on so many levels. A good part of me thinks that — because his stats are so inflated by his ball dominance and big minutes — that Johnson will be worth about half of his yearly salary next year (next year!), so imagine how far he'll taper off by 2016? Johnson isn't the most athletic player we've seen, he isn't tricky enough with the ball to get to the line much (a shocking 3.5 free-throw attempts per game, criminal for someone who has the ball so much, and for so long), and this isn't someone who will age well.

On top of that, didn't we watch him age quite considerably in the playoffs last season? Johnson averaged 11.8 points per game in the second round, shooting a terrifying 29.5 percent along the way. He seemed nonplussed as ever as his Hawks fell out of the second round again, and for the second time in five years, he's chosen big offseason money over a chance at a championship.

The Hawks? They're the big boys, here. They're supposed to be smarter than this, and in spite of all the talk about how this team had no choice but to stick with the status quo and see what happened? ? .

This man could be nearly half of your salary cap in a few years. We have no idea how the new collective bargaining agreement will shake out, but even under the ridiculous payroll runs of the last six or seven years, handing nearly $120 million to a 29-year-old who has yet to do anything more meaningful than dribble a lot and shoot a lot and look real tired in January? It boggles the mind.

Yes, you're backed into a corner, and you can't afford to let your best offensive player go without any proper sign-and-trade compensation. I understand that, but signing above what you originally hoped to pay only goes so far. There has to be a cutoff price, at some point, and paying Joe Johnson around $20 million in 2015-16 has to be that point. Hell, paying Joe Johnson $20 million in 2011-12 has to be that point.

This is just an absurd contract that, even if the Hawks ownership is banking on selling the team midway through Johnson's deal as has been rumored, cannot be justified or argued-for in any meaningful way.

There's just no way around it. Joe is a nice player who might get to shoot himself into yet another All-Star berth next season. If he's lucky, the year after that, even. Give it to him. Let the Hawks roll to the second round again, earning the ownership a few more gate receipts as they take yet another first-round series to seven games.

Doesn't matter. As it stands, this is the worst free-agent contract I have ever seen. Roll over Eddy Curry(notes), tell Jim McIlvaine the news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Joe-Johnson-to-sign-a-ridiculous-deal-with-the-A?urn=nba,252877
  • radaman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    bull6599 wrote: »
    Joe Johnson to sign a ridiculous deal with the Atlanta Hawks

By Kelly Dwyer

It's never a good sign when, a full week before a player is set to put pen to paper to ink his most recent contract, that a good portion of the NBA community regards that contract as the worst it has ever seen.

Not the worst trade, nor the worst draft selection. And we're not talking about considering Joe Johnson's(notes) new contract with the Atlanta Hawks (as first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski) as the worst contract we've ever seen a few years into the deal, or a few years after it expires in retrospect.

We're feeling this way, right now. On July 1, seven days before he even gets to sign the deal. Worst contract, ever.

It's that bad. Six years, and $119 million dollars for a player regarded as a second option at best on a great team. At best. Johnson will be 29 years of age to start this contract, 35 to end it, so Atlanta will get his one peak season (unless last year's run of over 21 points and a combined 9.5 rebounds/assists was the best we've seen), and then the downfall.

At about $20 million a year.

Bear in mind that Johnson achieved those stats by absolutely dominating the ball for the Hawks. Just owning it, for large stretches, forcing either a potential score or a potential assist to be added to his ledger just about every other time down court. All while playing huge minutes, 38 per game in fact; which was actually the lowest mark we've seen from Johnson since his second year in the league.

It's just an astonishing deal, on so many levels. A good part of me thinks that — because his stats are so inflated by his ball dominance and big minutes — that Johnson will be worth about half of his yearly salary next year (next year!), so imagine how far he'll taper off by 2016? Johnson isn't the most athletic player we've seen, he isn't tricky enough with the ball to get to the line much (a shocking 3.5 free-throw attempts per game, criminal for someone who has the ball so much, and for so long), and this isn't someone who will age well.

On top of that, didn't we watch him age quite considerably in the playoffs last season? Johnson averaged 11.8 points per game in the second round, shooting a terrifying 29.5 percent along the way. He seemed nonplussed as ever as his Hawks fell out of the second round again, and for the second time in five years, he's chosen big offseason money over a chance at a championship.

The Hawks? They're the big boys, here. They're supposed to be smarter than this, and in spite of all the talk about how this team had no choice but to stick with the status quo and see what happened? ? .

This man could be nearly half of your salary cap in a few years. We have no idea how the new collective bargaining agreement will shake out, but even under the ridiculous payroll runs of the last six or seven years, handing nearly $120 million to a 29-year-old who has yet to do anything more meaningful than dribble a lot and shoot a lot and look real tired in January? It boggles the mind.

Yes, you're backed into a corner, and you can't afford to let your best offensive player go without any proper sign-and-trade compensation. I understand that, but signing above what you originally hoped to pay only goes so far. There has to be a cutoff price, at some point, and paying Joe Johnson around $20 million in 2015-16 has to be that point. Hell, paying Joe Johnson $20 million in 2011-12 has to be that point.

This is just an absurd contract that, even if the Hawks ownership is banking on selling the team midway through Johnson's deal as has been rumored, cannot be justified or argued-for in any meaningful way.

There's just no way around it. Joe is a nice player who might get to shoot himself into yet another All-Star berth next season. If he's lucky, the year after that, even. Give it to him. Let the Hawks roll to the second round again, earning the ownership a few more gate receipts as they take yet another first-round series to seven games.

Doesn't matter. As it stands, this is the worst free-agent contract I have ever seen. Roll over Eddy Curry(notes), tell Jim McIlvaine the news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Joe-Johnson-to-sign-a-ridiculous-deal-with-the-A?urn=nba,252877

damn this ? speaks the truth.... My Hawks lost for this ? !!!
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    thagame wrote: »

I live here in ATL and forget he's even on the team at times.

Has anyone ever heard dude speak?
  • radaman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    I live here in ATL and forgets he's even on the team at times.

Has anyone ever heard dude speak?

Ive never seen dude do an interview....
  • CPTJamesT.Lurk
    CPTJamesT.Lurk Members Posts: 763
    edited July 2010
    Options
    In the mid 90's JJ wouldn't get anything more than the MLE. He hasn't done anything to warrant that type of money. If teams are going to hand out contracts like this to glorified role players than owners might as well give up the ownership papers to Wade, Kobe and Lebron.
  • radaman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Joe Johnson should pay tithes to Steve Nash.... real talk
  • damon03
    damon03 Members Posts: 493
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Every person in the Hawks front office should be shot is the damn head. This ? doesn't deserve a max contract
  • damon03
    damon03 Members Posts: 493
    edited July 2010
    Options
    And they Still Dont have a True Inside Game.....Smh.....Al Horford is solid be his Height gets exposed against better teams, they need to focus on getting a better unit, they Still have ? Mike Bibby Starting and he looks so slow and Old out there............ this is why certain teams stay the same way , now you see why.

Horford is a beast. He is just playing out of position. He was an All Star at center. If he plays the 4, he could be All NBA.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Self Destruction at it's finest
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    yo i'm dead ? serious when i say jamal crawford>>>joe johnson. shoulda let jamal start and use ya money on another postion/bench. ? ? -t-l
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Also their was only three players that averaged 20 pts, 5 rebs, 5 assists this year. Lebron, Wade, and JJ.

Tyreke Evans?
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    Tyreke Evans?

i think steve jackson did as well..and speakin of him...

joe johnson is really no better than steve imo, so he def dont need a max contract...

edit: that was 09...
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    yo i'm dead ? serious when i say jamal crawford>>>joe johnson. shoulda let jamal start and use ya money on another postion/bench. ? ? -t-l

co signature.....
  • KingJB2ThaFullest86
    KingJB2ThaFullest86 Members Posts: 388
    edited July 2010
    Options
    desperate times, desperate measures........Joe Johnson is a great G but i really dont think he's worth that much.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Horrible, horrible deal
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    This Will Go down as Top 3-5 Worst all-time contracts.
  • the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    Self Destruction at it's finest

^this right here. watch in 2 years or so he's gonna do a grant hill than espn will do an OTL story talking about what went wrong