FIRST LISTEN & IMPRESSIONS - Apollo Brown & O.C.: Trophies (2012) Release: 1st May

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Essence
01Draft-OC-ApolloBrown-Trophies-1400x1400.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Trophies
2. The Pursuit
3. Prove Me Wrong
4. Nautica
5. Anotha One
6. Disclaimer
7. We The People
8. Signs
9. The First 48
10. Angels Sing
11. Just Walk
12. The Formula
13. People's Champ
14. Options
15. Caught Up
16. Fantastic

From the Artist who brought us Word… Life and Jewelz to The Left producer who brought us Gask Mask and Clouds, comes Trophies, a 2012 collaborative project that will be a heavily conceptualised release on Mello Music Group.

… do I need to say anything else?

Well, I copped it on pre-order already, I can't wait for this and I'm sure I'm not alone… the single dropped last month, entitled "Prove Me Wrong"… O.C. warns "It's the calm before the storm…" Apollo is as nice as ever on the boards…
Single:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2piUF5Lo58
Who's checking for this release?

I can imagine this'll be up there with my favourite albums come the end of 2012…

MELLO MUSIC GROUP, WE LOVE YOU!

First listen:

"Everybody wants their trophy. What, is that supposed to tell me that you did something? I don't need no ? trophy, award or recognition. I do this ? because I love to do this ? ! All these kids nowadays, all these young people, they got to have some kind of shiny material possession or some ? that shows that they did something. They got to have a trophy. They got to have an award. They got to have a nice looking girl, a nice car, some nice rims and a gold chain. We don't need to know that you've done some ? , just do it!"* Intro to Trophies.

In love with this album, O.C. really takes Apollo's beats and runs with them! It's great to hear some of my favourite beats from Clouds (2011) making an appearance, namely 'Anotha One', which takes 'The 11th Hour' to new levels. 'Signs' is another 'borrower', which takes 'Push' from Clouds and produces another banger. Seriously, if anyone slept on Clouds last year, this album will make you wonder why. 'Shadows of Grief' is perhaps sampled best from Clouds as O.C. discusses today's women on 'Caught Up'. I had Clouds as one of my favourites from last year and O.C. is just an advertisement for the quality of those beats, changing flows easily off-beat yet killing it. Incredible.

Apollo Brown and O.C. - Anotha One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qRMP3vE9M
Apollo Brown and O.C. - Signs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwxhEaziyjg
Apollo Brown and O.C. - Caught Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSho-04qlNQ
Nevertheless, the other beats standalone and wouldn't feel out of place on a solely instrumental album. The horns are in full-effect and Apollo's samples of short-vocals are too. There's a variety of beats as well as topics discussed on the album, yet it's all Apollo's signature which keeps cohesion in full effect. The only weak spot after first listen would be 'People's Champ', which lacks, IMO, due to the samples on the hook (which I find annoying).

Overall, it's been 5 months since I checked heavily for an album; Apollo Brown is a just producer to extend a hand in helping me do so; and O.C. delivers as expected on what is, after first listen, a great album with potential heavy-replayability due to Apollo's genius in handling of the boards. Seriously, is there a better producer out there currently? I'd like to hear them. Future top 5 of the year? Likely; most certainly deserving of a trophy.

*Intro copy taken from DungeonsofRap.com props for the keys.

Comments

• RuffDraft
    edited April 2012
    Options
    For anyone stumbling across Apollo or O.C. for the first time…

Here are two of their best tracks… although you'd be cheating yourself if you only listened to these two:

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.C. Jewelz. I bumped that for ? knows how long. one of my favorite New York albums EVER. Gotta get that album again.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    O.C. Jewelz. I bumped that for ? knows how long. one of my favorite New York albums EVER. Gotta get that album again.

No doubt, this album should be incredible as well; it's like pitting one of the best emcee's and producers together… in fact, that's not what it's like, that's exactly what it is…

Really can't wait to hear this!!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2012
    Options
    this ? keep getting pushed back?
    thought it was gonna b out in April..

Yeah, it was scheduled for April 24th following a delay from the original March 27th, but I guess a week isn't that big of a delay. Mello Music Group are generally quite good at releasing albums consistently from the emails I receive from them (just the news ones not directly).

Either way, I can wait as long as Apollo brings it as usual… I can't wait to hear O.C. over his beats, could be my favourite of 2012.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Journalist 103 and hasaan mackey are both pretty dope but i know OC is gonna bless Apollos beats just wonderfully. I havent listened to any of the singles yet, been trying to resist the urge lol.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Journalist 103 and hasaan mackey are both pretty dope but i know OC is gonna bless Apollos beats just wonderfully. I havent listened to any of the singles yet, been trying to resist the urge lol.

Lol I'm a bit gutted 'cos I'll only receive this a week after release according to Amazon, but it beats the import.

Can't wait for this though and like you say, O.C. is on another level… I'm sure Apollo's beats will inspire him too.
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2012
    Options
    MELLO MUSIC GROUP, WE LOVE YOU!

First listen:

"Everybody wants their trophy. What, is that supposed to tell me that you did something? I don't need no ? trophy, award or recognition. I do this ? because I love to do this ? ! All these kids nowadays, all these young people, they got to have some kind of shiny material possession or some ? that shows that they did something. They got to have a trophy. They got to have an award. They got to have a nice looking girl, a nice car, some nice rims and a gold chain. We don't need to know that you've done some ? , just do it!"* Intro to Trophies.

In love with this album, O.C. really takes Apollo's beats and runs with them! It's great to hear some of my favourite beats from Clouds (2011) making an appearance, namely 'Anotha One', which takes 'The 11th Hour' to new levels. 'Signs' is another 'borrower', which takes 'Push' from Clouds and produces another banger. Seriously, if anyone slept on Clouds last year, this album will make you wonder why. 'Shadows of Grief' is perhaps sampled best from Clouds as O.C. discusses today's women on 'Caught Up'. I had Clouds as one of my favourites from last year and O.C. is just an advertisement for the quality of those beats, changing flows easily off-beat yet killing it. Incredible.

Apollo Brown and O.C. - Anotha One
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qRMP3vE9M
    Apollo Brown and O.C. - Signs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwxhEaziyjg
    Apollo Brown and O.C. - Caught Up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSho-04qlNQ

Nevertheless, the other beats standalone and wouldn't feel out of place on a solely instrumental album. The horns are in full-effect and Apollo's samples of short-vocals are too. There's a variety of beats as well as topics discussed on the album, yet it's all Apollo's signature which keeps cohesion in full effect. The only weak spot after first listen would be 'People's Champ', which lacks, IMO, due to the samples on the hook (which I find annoying).

Overall, it's been 5 months since I checked heavily for an album; Apollo Brown is a just producer to extend a hand in helping me do so; and O.C. delivers as expected on what is, after first listen, a great album with potential heavy-replayability due to Apollo's genius in handling of the boards. Seriously, is there a better producer out there currently? I'd like to hear them. Future top 5 of the year? Likely; most certainly deserving of a trophy.

*Intro copy taken from DungeonsofRap.com props for the keys.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    ARE WE ALL SLEEPING ON THIS ALBUM AS IT IS THE ALBUM OF THE YEAR, THUS FAR, IMO!
  • spc4mack
    spc4mack Members Posts: 202 ✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Yo Ruff Draft. Let me just say good lookin out on this one. O.C is one of my faves. Im glad you pointed me to this album. I will be copping tomorrow. The production sounds refreshing and O.C is still spitting top notch bars. There is alot of ? around here but every now and then i find a thread like this.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    spc4mack wrote: »
    Yo Ruff Draft. Let me just say good lookin out on this one. O.C is one of my faves. Im glad you pointed me to this album. I will be copping tomorrow. The production sounds refreshing and O.C is still spitting top notch bars. There is alot of ? around here but every now and then i find a thread like this.

Let me know what you think, I more so looked forward to this release for Apollo's beats, despite being a huge fan of O.C. too. So if you haven't heard an album by Apollo, then check The Left - Gas Mask or his instrumental album, Clouds.

Thanks, I try my best in The Essence sub-forum, although this year has been quiet thus far.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    Options
    I LOVE this album. Great chemistry and OC is on top of his game. This will be a classic in years to come.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    skeep wrote: »
    I LOVE this album. Great chemistry and OC is on top of his game. This will be a classic in years to come.

Definitely! I agree, the beats from Clouds are the best I think… O.C. just takes them further and further…

What else you looking forward to (release wise)?
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    traestar wrote: »

Damn, that's a bargain!!!

I copped the CD for equivalent of around $17.

You get a chance to listen Trae?
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Damn, that's a bargain!!!

I copped the CD for equivalent of around $17.

You get a chance to listen Trae?

I will, especially that I have the bandcamp page now.
  • traestar
    Options
    Listening to it now, very dark album so far, I remember listening to the single Prove Me Wrong, thats my track right there
  • traestar
    Options
    This is really dope!!
  • traestar
    Options
    Caught Up is TOUGH!!
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Hahaha love the play by play posting!! :tu

Glad you digged it, I'll try to upload bandcamp links with every thread!!! I loved this album, from start to finish, I don't think anything will touch it this year *hopes I'm wrong*.

Great album.
  • traestar
    Options

Glad you digged it, I'll try to upload bandcamp links with every thread!!! I loved this album, from start to finish, I don't think anything will touch it this year *hopes I'm wrong*.

Great album.

I live on bandcamp, I've heard ALOT of albums (from free to name your price) on bandcamp over the past few months...

In fact I got one that I've been playing for a minute.
  • RuffDraft
    Options

Great album.

I live on bandcamp, I've heard ALOT of albums (from free to name your price) on bandcamp over the past few months...

Which one is that??? I need to hear more…
  • traestar
    Options

Great album.

Astro Nautico
  • RuffDraft
    Options

Great album.

Astro Nautico

Listened to it earlier, I'll post up my thoughts… in the thread :tu