Comments

• I Am Him
    I Am Him Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    DarkRaiden wrote: »
    Doctopian wrote: »
    c1up wrote: »

He died and was with Death

As of Thanos Imperative, that is no longer the case.

Alright, let's make this interesting. What type of aid do y'all think Batman would need to pull this off?

Darkseid, Luthor and either Doomsday or Dr. Fate or both.[/quote

I think he would have to go to Doc Doom, who would help him only so he could steal Thanos's power and ? Batman and Thanos.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanos is like a cosmic Batman with powers on steroids. There is no way Batman has any chance. Thanos has taken over the Marvel Universe on one occasion and destroyed it on another. On top of that, it's been hinted that he'd never defeated as much as his internal desire to fail causes him to lose.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Radion Bullets Don't Affect Thanos.....Thanos FTEW
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Alright, let's make this interesting. What type of aid do y'all think Batman would need to pull this off?

Odin's armor, the entire Marvel and Dc Universes too
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

Darkseid
  • Bloo Q
    Bloo Q Members Posts: 377
    Options

The ENTIRE Justice League roster, past and present... With Booster Gold (because I like the guy).

He'll also need an adult Static and Solomon Grundy.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman would find a way, probably sell his soul and become The Spectre for a while or something. maybe get GL to hook him up with a power ring then use that power ring to search throughout the universe for whatever tools can bring down Thanos.

Thanos is killable, or else this wouldn't be a question. and since he's mortal there is either some type of power or tool Batman can acquire or Spectre can get at him from the other side.

let's not downplay the fact that Batman did get Darkseid on a few occassions and Darkseid vs Thanos IS a valid comparison.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    except that Darkseid and Thanos aren't valid comparisons. Thanos is above DS by a good margin both in intelligence and power. DS is Superman level, hell he's below Superman barring a few recent showings
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    edited April 2012
    Options
    lol at this ? from cracked.com:

#2. Thanos: A Desire to Lose

http://www.cracked.com/article_19434_the-6-most-ridiculous-superhero-weaknesses_p2.html

yea.. tell me Batman wouldn't figure that ? out
  • Triple B's
    Triple B's Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    reaperbong wrote: »

http://www.cracked.com/article_19434_the-6-most-ridiculous-superhero-weaknesses_p2.html

Batman would be dead before he got the opportunity to learn this.
  • Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

First, that only pertains to Thanos achieving omnipotence of some sort. Secondly, that hasn't been valid since the 90s. Try again.
    Batman would find a way, probably sell his soul and become The Spectre for a while or something. maybe get GL to hook him up with a power ring then use that power ring to search throughout the universe for whatever tools can bring down Thanos.

Thanos is killable, or else this wouldn't be a question. and since he's mortal there is either some type of power or tool Batman can acquire or Spectre can get at him from the other side.

let's not downplay the fact that Batman did get Darkseid on a few occassions and Darkseid vs Thanos IS a valid comparison.

Regarding the first bolded, that isn't nearly as cut and dry as you make it seem. During the Thanos Imperative, Thanos was literally disintegrated but managed to regenerate in the next issue due to Death not wanting him...again.

Regarding the second bolded, as jaxn pointed out, they really aren't nowadays. Despite how they were portrayed in the DC vs Marvel crossover, Darkseid doesn't consistently get the same level of respect that Thanos does. In one story, Darkseid might be a universal threat, and in the next, he is begging Superman not to beat his ass anymore. Thanos, on the other hand, tends to be treated as a threat that no signal hero could overcome. From physically stalemating a significantly powered up Thor, to knocking Galactus on his ass, to beating the Silver Surfer to within an inch of his life, to lobotomizing the mortal form of Kosmos (aka the Beyonder), Thanos tends to be treated with a high degree of respect whenever he shows up.
  • Doctopian
    Options
    So even with access to whatever is in the Batcave and Watch Tower, Batman still can't win solo? I thought that he was the prep ? . Where's his Anti-Thanos spray?
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    ok so you pose the question Batman vs Thanos, and then basically explain that Thanos is unkillable by anyone ever end of story. so what's your point?

how's Batman gonna have a chance against someone that by your explanation even Darkseid, Spectre, Fate, Supes, GL or whoever else in the DCU couldn't take? going by this thread i'd just chalk up this Thanos character as bad writing and so this is a stupid question.

but whatever i'll give you the benefit of the doubt - why pose such an obviously lop sided rhetorical question? trying to prove a point?
  • Bloo Q
    Options
    So even with access to whatever is in the Batcave and Watch Tower, Batman still can't win solo? I thought that he was the prep ? . Where's his Anti-Thanos spray?

he would have to take that time to find an utilize a Cosmic Cube in order to beat Thanos solo, otherwise it ain't happenin.
  • Doctopian
    Options
    ok so you pose the question Batman vs Thanos, and then basically explain that Thanos is unkillable by anyone ever end of story. so what's your point?

how's Batman gonna have a chance against someone that by your explanation even Darkseid, Spectre, Fate, Supes, GL or whoever else in the DCU couldn't take? going by this thread i'd just chalk up this Thanos character as bad writing and so this is a stupid question.

but whatever i'll give you the benefit of the doubt - why pose such an obviously lop sided rhetorical question? trying to prove a point?

Just because he may be unkillable, doesn't mean that he can't be knocked out or disabled somehow. Besides, Batman isn't the Punisher, so I don't expect him to resort to murder unless he absolutely has to.

I wanted to see where everyone rated Batman's prep abilities, because hear some of you tell it, he doesn't have any limits.

And interesting double standard you have there: Thanos is the product of bad writing, but Batman managing to rig Apokalips with explosive devices or drawing blood from Darkseid with a kick isn't?

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

First, that only pertains to Thanos achieving omnipotence of some sort. Secondly, that hasn't been valid since the 90s. Try again.

Regarding the first bolded, that isn't nearly as cut and dry as you make it seem. During the Thanos Imperative, Thanos was literally disintegrated but managed to regenerate in the next issue due to Death not wanting him...again.

Regarding the second bolded, as jaxn pointed out, they really aren't nowadays. Despite how they were portrayed in the DC vs Marvel crossover, Darkseid doesn't consistently get the same level of respect that Thanos does. In one story, Darkseid might be a universal threat, and in the next, he is begging Superman not to beat his ass anymore. Thanos, on the other hand, tends to be treated as a threat that no signal hero could overcome. From physically stalemating a significantly powered up Thor, to knocking Galactus on his ass, to beating the Silver Surfer to within an inch of his life, to lobotomizing the mortal form of Kosmos (aka the Beyonder), Thanos tends to be treated with a high degree of respect whenever he shows up.

agreed, Thanos is that deal. He doesn't play around with top tiers..you'll never see a Thor or Hulk beating the brakes of Thanos unless there are some kind of circumstances...even though he's not on these guys' power level, he usually tries to go at it with the likes of Odin, Walker, Tyrant, Galactus
  • Bloo Q
    Options

Just because he may be unkillable, doesn't mean that he can't be knocked out or disabled somehow. Besides, Batman isn't the Punisher, so I don't expect him to resort to murder unless he absolutely has to.

I wanted to see where everyone rated Batman's prep abilities, because hear some of you tell it, he doesn't have any limits.

And interesting double standard you have there: Thanos is the product of bad writing, but Batman managing to rig Apokalips with explosive devices or drawing blood from Darkseid with a kick isn't?

Don't forget, Batman also essentially "willed" himself the ability to fly in order to save someone way back inna day. It was on the cover of either Detective Comics or Batman, can't remember which one and I can't seem to find a pic of it, though I know it's out there.
  • Doctopian
    Options
    Bloo Q wrote: »

Don't forget, Batman also essentially "willed" himself the ability to fly in order to save someone way back inna day. It was on the cover of either Detective Comics or Batman, can't remember which one and I can't seem to find a pic of it, though I know it's out there.

Word? I've never heard of that, but I don't doubt it at all.
  • I Am Him
    Options

It wouldn't matter if he did, he would be dead before he could do anything with that info
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Batman has fanboys like that on here, interesting.

Batman stands no chance. Thanos does what Batman does but on a cosmic scale. He's more intelligent, has more knowledge, is a better fighter, has better technology, knows magic, and actually has powers. There is literally nothing that Batman has going for him that would allow him to triumph over Thanos alone.

As far Thanos' desire to lose, it's true, but let's not forget that the person who surmised it was Adam Warlock, who is essentially Thanos' arch nemesis, and Warlock had only come to that conclusion after Thanos had been successful and basically allowed himself to lose.
  • I Am Him
    Options
    Oh, they go H.A.M. for Bats, Wolverine is my fav character, but I know he can't beat Thanos.
  • I Am Him
    Options

I was gonna say the same thing. DC messed up Batman by making him something he was not when he was created. Batman was a crime fighter, not a superhero.
  • Bloo Q
    Options
    Bloo Q wrote: »

Word? I've never heard of that, but I don't doubt it at all.

I've seen the issue, someone was about to die and Batman announces on the cover that if he must fly to save this person, then he will fly or something to that effect. It's old as hell, maybe 50's or 60's, but it was a product of horrible writing none the less.

My essential problem with DC comics on a whole was always the writing. While I was growing up DC was ass. Crisis on Infinite Earths was really the first time I ever cared for a DC arc, but even then the story was not nearly as good as some of the arcs in Marvel at the time (Mutant Massacre in particular).
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    edited April 2012
    Options

i'm not one to say Batman can beat anyone with prep time that's just stupid.

Batman has never actually defeated Darkseid, so don't want to mislead here.. when Batman got Darkseid in Final Crisis it wasn't anything outrageous he just shot him with the radion bullet designed to hill him (that killed Orion, actually) and crippled him for a while but Darkseid came back and it was Batman that was sent back through time and died (or one of his clones or someshit) the other time i'm thinking of is in Batman/Superman: Apocalypse where Batman genuinely outsmarts him and Darkseid has to give in and give up Kara or Batman would take out all of Apokolips. still that writing really isn't anything crazy like Thanos being the living embodiment of the universe and whatever other nonsense you were talking about like he came back from being disintegrated. anyways DC generally make more sense because they're more fantasy and writers have more freedom to be creative and do what they want with the characters, unlike Marvel where the characters abilities are always trying to be explained and grounded in the real world.
  • Doctopian
    Options

i'm not one to say Batman can beat anyone with prep time that's just stupid.

Indeed.
    Batman has never actually defeated Darkseid, so don't want to mislead here.. when Batman got Darkseid in Final Crisis it wasn't anything outrageous he just shot him with the radion bullet designed to hill him (that killed Orion, actually) and crippled him for a while but Darkseid came back and it was Batman that was sent back through time and died (or one of his clones or someshit)

The Radion Bullet actually did ? Darkseid; it just took a little longer for him to die than Batman anticipated. Darkseid dif send Batman back in time with the Omega Sanction, and the body that Superman found was a clone created by Darkseid. You're right, that isn't too crazy, because in a convoluted way, Darkseid killed himself. I wasn't referring to Final Crisis, but the story from the Superman/Batman comic where Batman managed to draw blood from Darkseid with a kick. That ? is ridiculous considering what both characters represent and the power tiers they are supposed to be on.
    the other time i'm thinking of is in Batman/Superman: Apocalypse where Batman genuinely outsmarts him and Darkseid has to give in and give up Kara or Batman would take out all of Apokolips.

And how isn't this ridiculous. Batman came up with a way to destroy a planet that exists outside of space-time, is said to be the size of a galaxy, and has super advanced tech beyond anything on DC Earth? Word?
    still that writing really isn't anything crazy like Thanos being the living embodiment of the universe and whatever other nonsense you were talking about like he came back from being disintegrated.

Thanos is normally no where near that level of power. He has to collect artifacts (the Cosmic Cube/Infinity Gems) or usurp some external power source (the Heart of the Infinite). He's usually on a level above the likes of Superman, Thor, and Surfer, but below the likes of Odin and Galactus.

The only reason he could come back from Drax's antimatter bomb is because Death banned him from her realm again, making Thanos effectively immortal. Given the context, it isn't crazy at all.
    anyways DC generally make more sense because they're more fantasy and writers have more freedom to be creative and do what they want with the characters, unlike Marvel where the characters abilities are always trying to be explained and grounded in the real world.

I have to disagree, both universes seem to have a pretty equal blends of Sci-Fi (super science) and Fantasy (magic), and given the seemingly perpetual editoral edicts regarding Batman and Superman, I don't see how their writers have more freedom. Given that DC reboots its continuity about once a decade, I would argue that Marvel writers have more freedom to alter the mythos of the characters they write and have it stick.