Batman vs. Thanos

Options

Comments

• Grahf
    Grahf Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    it's true. that's been his rep for what almost 2 decades. Norrin has more low showings regarding his durability than any herald-level character by a fair margin. It became less of an issue post-Annihilation but still.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grahf wrote: »
    jaxn wrote: »
    that's one of the oldest reference you can bring up..hahahaha everyone has low showings in their career..that's just like bringing up Hulk being choked out by a snake..

only prob with this is that Silver Surfer has made a career of low showings. It was a running joke in the comic community that Silver Surfer was the cosmic gatekeeper. Whether you agree if the showing or think its PIS, If you wanna test your new/old character out just have him pwn Silver Surfer. Everyone and their grandma has gotten the better of Norrin. Nick Fury, Mexican farmers (TWICE!), Hulk, etc...What about Thanos low showing?

2llon4l.jpg

what comic board(s) were you associated with?
  • jaxn
    Options
    Losing to Thanos isn't something to be ashamed of btw
  • Grahf
    Options

Of course not, I love Silver Silver actually, despite the postings. It's just that he's nowhere near Thanos in power. Just remember that Thanos AND Norrin took on Odin at the same time. Odin one-shot Silver Surfer while Odin and Thanos traded blows for a considerable period. In fact Odin could NOT get a definitive win over Thanos (although he appeared to have the upper hand in the bout)

Silver Surfer's potential is enormous. But many writers (even good ones) often write him as a bruiser ala Hulk. Coming in with fists flying like he's a slugger. Oftentimes, Norrin gets knocked the ? out. He reminds me of Martian Manhunter, one of the most dangerous members in DCU lower than cosmic level. But ? , J'onn had gatekeeper status forever too.

I've been members of almost every comic board imaginable lol to answer your earlier question. It's not the same anymore though...and I'm really disliking the changes to DC that have been made. Somehow it's not grabbing my attention.

• jaxn
    Options

Of course not, I love Silver Silver actually, despite the postings. It's just that he's nowhere near Thanos in power. Just remember that Thanos AND Norrin took on Odin at the same time. Odin one-shot Silver Surfer while Odin and Thanos traded blows for a considerable period. In fact Odin could NOT get a definitive win over Thanos (although he appeared to have the upper hand in the bout)
    Oh I remember that issue and that was a good showing for Thanos when he fought Odin, but you know Odin wasn't going full tilt against him..
    Silver Surfer's potential is enormous. But many writers (even good ones) often write him as a bruiser ala Hulk. Coming in with fists flying like he's a slugger.
    Most writers don't know how to write him. they have him mostly using standard blasts instead of some of his other abilities, but you and I both know that some of those lower showings can be contributed to his pacifist natue, not really wanting to fight unless it's absolutely necessary..but when he takes the gloves off he usually turns the heat up a couple of notches..I don't know if i can necessarily agree with the statement of him being knocked out often. Unless its by someone more powerful than him or some PIS like that Mexican nonsense, he's rarely knocked out..He wasn't knocked out after being pummeled by Tenebrous and Aegis..Remember he let the Hulk stomp on his head while he just casually talked.
    Oftentimes, Norrin gets knocked the ? out. He reminds me of Martian Manhunter, one of the most dangerous members in DCU lower than cosmic level. But ? , J'onn had gatekeeper status forever too.
    MM suffers from that DC edict of Superman and Batman being the greatest ever..I liked the Burning Martian saga when he owned the ? out of everyone..he's a beast
    I've been members of almost every comic board imaginable lol to answer your earlier question. It's not the same anymore though...and I'm really disliking the changes to DC that have been made. Somehow it's not grabbing my attention.

Cool and I agree..I'm a member of a couple of boards but its not the same anymore..it's fun to post here with others though. DC is always changing something and I really don't know why..granted that pre-crisis ? had to go but this new 52 i don't know why it was necessary. But hey its good to know another Surfer fan and yeah they need to get a writer who can accurately portray the guy..this latest nonsense of him being stuck on Earth guarding the seed is just pathetic.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »

Surfer = Thanos (More Or Less) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Supes

Dog, the first part of that inequality completely invalidates your opinion on this matter.

surf0na.jpg

Surfer ain't seeing Thanos on any level.

While I won't say Surfer is on par with Thanos, Surfer has since had a power up since that comic book and while weakened, he was able to match Thanos' power output or however much power that was needed to release Galactus during Annihilation..Thanos was in the middle of releasing Galactus when Drax killed him, but only someone of at least Thanos' power signature or level was able to release Galactus according to the story.
    That's true, but at most that says that Surfer's energy output is on par with Thanos. It says nothing about their strength or durability which are Thanos' true claims to fame. Surfer is not Thanos' equal.
    Ok but by saying his output is on par with Thanos' what does that mean? I never said that Surfer was Thanos' equal but there is merit to the claim. Regarding his strength and durability..it's obvious Thanos has Surfer beat in those categories..
    Thanos has dishragged Surfer in pretty much every confrontation they've had. Surfer has gotten a power-up but we have no idea what difference that makes since they haven't fought since then. Based on established history though, Thanos is pretty far beyond Surfer.
    I'm just addressing the idea that a poster lost his credibility by suggesting that Surfer is on par with Thanos when it's been established within Marvel continuity.
    That said, didn't it say that Surfer matched Thanos' power signature not his output? I forget so I'm not saying for sure, but if that was the case, Surfer doing that wasn't a matter of energy output but of energy manipulation.
    yes, his signature but do you believe Surfer would've been able to match Thanos' signature when he fought him leading up to the Infinity Gauntlet saga? I'd say no..nor do I believe it was a case of simply manipulating energy..energy manipulation is what he did when he synthesized the Odin power and gave Beta Ray Bill a new uniform or when he manipulated the energy in Obliterator's weapons and made them shoot harmless light. It wasn't as simple as Thanos walking over to the machine and shooting a blast into it..he was going through a process to the point he couldn't defend himself against Drax. Again, i'm not saying Surfer is equal to or greater than Thanos since I don't believe that to be the case. Thanos has had multiple power ups over the years and we're in agreement that Thanos is more powerful

You mixing up signature with power though. Thanos' energy signature is simply the properties associated with the particular type of energy he uses. Surfer is a master energy manipulator. He could probably mimic the signature at any point. Energy manipulation is exactly what the term implies, the ability to manipulate energy. Yes synthesizing energy is a type of energy manipulation, but it's not the only type of energy. Surfer taking his own energy and changing it so that it mimics Thanos' is energy manipulation too.

And I can't believe that someone brought up the hammer incident as a knock against Surfer. We should all be able to agree that was bad writing.
  • Grahf
    edited April 2012
    Options

Oh I remember that issue and that was a good showing for Thanos when he fought Odin, but you know Odin wasn't going full tilt against him..
    Silver Surfer's potential is enormous. But many writers (even good ones) often write him as a bruiser ala Hulk. Coming in with fists flying like he's a slugger.
    Most writers don't know how to write him. they have him mostly using standard blasts instead of some of his other abilities, but you and I both know that some of those lower showings can be contributed to his pacifist natue, not really wanting to fight unless it's absolutely necessary..but when he takes the gloves off he usually turns the heat up a couple of notches..I don't know if i can necessarily agree with the statement of him being knocked out often. Unless its by someone more powerful than him or some PIS like that Mexican nonsense, he's rarely knocked out..He wasn't knocked out after being pummeled by Tenebrous and Aegis..Remember he let the Hulk stomp on his head while he just casually talked.
    Oftentimes, Norrin gets knocked the ? out. He reminds me of Martian Manhunter, one of the most dangerous members in DCU lower than cosmic level. But ? , J'onn had gatekeeper status forever too.
    MM suffers from that DC edict of Superman and Batman being the greatest ever..I liked the Burning Martian saga when he owned the ? out of everyone..he's a beast

Cool and I agree..I'm a member of a couple of boards but its not the same anymore..it's fun to post here with others though. DC is always changing something and I really don't know why..granted that pre-crisis ? had to go but this new 52 i don't know why it was necessary. But hey its good to know another Surfer fan and yeah they need to get a writer who can accurately portray the guy..this latest nonsense of him being stuck on Earth guarding the seed is just pathetic.

Thanos has had good showings against people who have wrecked Silver Surfer. Remember depowered Tyrant? Tyrant wrecked Silver Surfer, Gladiator, Beta Ray, Ganymede, Morg, Tyrax, jack o hearts, Legacy. Thanos survived Tyrant's onslaught. ? Thanos blasted Galactus off his ass and across a great distance before the big G got the upper hand. Norrin had a great durability showing against T&A, although my fav version badass depiction of SS was the Exiles version. ? was ruthless.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanos has low showings too , once he was beaten by Spiderman and arrested by the NYPD
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    DarkRaiden wrote: »
    Thanos has low showings too , once he was beaten by Spiderman and arrested by the NYPD

Everyone has ridiculous showings. Let's not forget that Santa Claus invades Apokalips every year to take Darkseid some coal, and no one can stop him.

darkseid-vs-santa-2.jpg

• DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
    DarkRaiden wrote: »

Everyone has ridiculous showings. Let's not forget that Santa Claus invades Apokalips every year to take Darkseid some coal, and no one can stop him.

darkseid-vs-santa-2.jpg

That's not a low showing, technically, Santa's sleigh moves much faster than light and he's a trill ? . The NYPD taking in thanos and him losing to SPidey is a candidate for the lowest showing of all time. Worse than magneto losing to wooden guns or Thor to a shotgun.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Santa ? is funny as all Hell
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    scaled.php?server=107&filename=thanos1tf0.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=107&filename=thanos2ko0.jpg&res=landing

Squirrel Girl owning the ? Thanos....
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    squirrel girl takes down thanos but batman cant?
  • Grahf
    Options

squirrel girl takes down thanos but batman cant?

Squirrel girl can take down the entire Asgardian and Greek pantheons. Toss in classic Apokalips, New Genesis, Dark Dimension, Limbo, etc...it's just Marvel's way at poking fun at the fanboys by making all her feats canon.

• I Am Him
    I Am Him Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Squirrel Girl could take down Batman.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Him wrote: »
    Squirrel Girl could take down Batman.

she could she owned Wolverine as well...

prv9420_pg5.jpg

prv9420_pg6.jpg
  • I Am Him
    I Am Him Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what they say about a woman scorned.
  • jaxn
    Options
    it's true. that's been his rep for what almost 2 decades. Norrin has more low showings regarding his durability than any herald-level character by a fair margin. It became less of an issue post-Annihilation but still.

Surfer also has more appearances than any other Herald, but I can't cosign that low durability statement..comics just don't back that up
  • jaxn
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »

Surfer = Thanos (More Or Less) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Supes

Dog, the first part of that inequality completely invalidates your opinion on this matter.

surf0na.jpg

Surfer ain't seeing Thanos on any level.

While I won't say Surfer is on par with Thanos, Surfer has since had a power up since that comic book and while weakened, he was able to match Thanos' power output or however much power that was needed to release Galactus during Annihilation..Thanos was in the middle of releasing Galactus when Drax killed him, but only someone of at least Thanos' power signature or level was able to release Galactus according to the story.
    That's true, but at most that says that Surfer's energy output is on par with Thanos. It says nothing about their strength or durability which are Thanos' true claims to fame. Surfer is not Thanos' equal.
    Ok but by saying his output is on par with Thanos' what does that mean? I never said that Surfer was Thanos' equal but there is merit to the claim. Regarding his strength and durability..it's obvious Thanos has Surfer beat in those categories..
    Thanos has dishragged Surfer in pretty much every confrontation they've had. Surfer has gotten a power-up but we have no idea what difference that makes since they haven't fought since then. Based on established history though, Thanos is pretty far beyond Surfer.
    I'm just addressing the idea that a poster lost his credibility by suggesting that Surfer is on par with Thanos when it's been established within Marvel continuity.
    That said, didn't it say that Surfer matched Thanos' power signature not his output? I forget so I'm not saying for sure, but if that was the case, Surfer doing that wasn't a matter of energy output but of energy manipulation.
    yes, his signature but do you believe Surfer would've been able to match Thanos' signature when he fought him leading up to the Infinity Gauntlet saga? I'd say no..nor do I believe it was a case of simply manipulating energy..energy manipulation is what he did when he synthesized the Odin power and gave Beta Ray Bill a new uniform or when he manipulated the energy in Obliterator's weapons and made them shoot harmless light. It wasn't as simple as Thanos walking over to the machine and shooting a blast into it..he was going through a process to the point he couldn't defend himself against Drax. Again, i'm not saying Surfer is equal to or greater than Thanos since I don't believe that to be the case. Thanos has had multiple power ups over the years and we're in agreement that Thanos is more powerful
    You mixing up signature with power though. Thanos' energy signature is simply the properties associated with the particular type of energy he uses. Surfer is a master energy manipulator. He could probably mimic the signature at any point. Energy manipulation is exactly what the term implies, the ability to manipulate energy. Yes synthesizing energy is a type of energy manipulation, but it's not the only type of energy. Surfer taking his own energy and changing it so that it mimics Thanos' is energy manipulation too.
    Only thing about that is that this wasn't described as Surfer manipulating Thanos' energy. There are several references made when that's the case, but it didn't happen in this instance.
    And I can't believe that someone brought up the hammer incident as a knock against Surfer. We should all be able to agree that was bad writing.

yep
  • jaxn
    Options

Thanos has had good showings against people who have wrecked Silver Surfer. Remember depowered Tyrant? Tyrant wrecked Silver Surfer, Gladiator, Beta Ray, Ganymede, Morg, Tyrax, jack o hearts, Legacy. Thanos survived Tyrant's onslaught.
    Thanos was also using Tyrant's power orbs during that confrontation..he had no hopes of beating Tyrant...what did Tyrant say when Thanos stepped to him?? .."Are you Mad" or something to that effect.
    ? Thanos blasted Galactus off his ass and across a great distance before the big G got the upper hand.
    There were also circumstances involved, like the entity Hunger affecting Galactus and Thanos hit him with a cheap shot, but you saw how easily Thanos was dismissed when Galactus returned..
    Norrin had a great durability showing against T&A, although my fav version badass depiction of SS was the Exiles version. ? was ruthless.
    oh yeah the Exiles issued when he ripped Glads in half and ? ..that was a nice portrayal.
  • Grahf
    Options
    They were both amped up by those orbs. Thanos stole Morg's while depowered Tyrant has been using various ones. I remember after that fight that Tyrant went back into a chamber and had a gigantic orb awaiting him. I guess Thanos also had the prep advantage since he was doing a 20/20 on him and thus revealed his origins to Ganymede and debunked her claims of her tribe defeating Tyrant. Just trying to think of when SS and Thanos faced the same foe and instantly thought of Odin, Tyrant, and Galacus. Though Norrin did have Glads, Morg, Terrax, Beta, Jack, and Ganymede helping him to balance Thanos's solo showing.

I will say that toward the end of that arc, the writing became laughably atrocious with Morg's and Galactus' dialogue. I'll see if I pull up the scans.
  • Mr.Player
    Mr.Player Members Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    Options
    batman would get his damn head ripped off
  • Tru_Hitta
    Tru_Hitta Members Posts: 615
    Options
    Immortality: Thanos, like all Eternals, is immortal in the sense that he is immune to all known diseases and infections and is immune to the effects of aging. Formerly, Thanos was banned by Death itself from entering its realm, rendering him truly immortal. No matter the severity of any injury, Thanos was unable to die and completely recovered.

im confused about the statement above it says his immune 2 infections but in marvel zombies thanos got bitten&turned into a zombie&the zombie virus is a form or infection is it not?.....--__-- I Call ?

• jaxn
    Options
    Marvel Zombies is like a what if storyline..an alternate universe so it's not canon to 616
  • Grahf
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Here's the Odin vs Thanos, Silver Surfer battle I was referring to earlier...(somebody put the arc in video form)