J DILLA: REBIRTH of DETROIT (2012) Release: June 12th, Artwork, Single.

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in The Essence
560016_371987716174461_285708118135755_1064060_1012285263_n.jpg

In 2006, we lost a legend. In 2012, he returns.

Rebirth-of-Detroit-main.jpg
J Dilla: The REBIRTH OF DETROIT Album Cover

James Yancey A.K.A. Jay Dee A.K.A. J Dilla sadly passed away in 2006 due to Lupus, which causes the immune system to become hyper-active resulting in an attack on the bodies healthy tissue. Whilst here on Earth, Dilla produced hit records for many of yesterday's and today's top artists including Common, Busta Rhymes, Janet Jackson, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Erykah Badu, Mos Def, Bahamadia, Talib Kweli and the list goes on. The Slum Village and Detroit representative has been missed greatly yet according to those of Yancey Music Group, he's about to spark a movement; dropping on Ruff Draft Records. We'll likely find "Dilla STILL Changes My Life" T-Shirts springing up across the web when the album, The REBIRTH of DETROIT, drops in May.

The project, that comes filled with contributions from Detroit representatives who grew up alongside Dilla, will drop on Yancey Music Group/Ruff Draft Records; headed by none other than Dilla's own mother, Maureen Yancey A.K.A Ma Dukes. Jonathan Taylor, CEO of the Yancey Music Group, has been discussing the album on Conspiracy Worldwide radio. These snippets from the interview, taken from mlive.com, outline what is to be expected from the project.
"The Rebirth of Detroit" will feature a genre-bending collection of musicians with roots in the Motor City, including Amp Fiddler, Chuck English of The Cool Kids, Monica Blaire, Phat Kat and Guilty Simpson.

"Most of the artists on here have worked with J. Dilla since '89," Taylor says. "Have been in the lab with him. They know him and they love him and they've been with him since ages 15 and 12 years old."

Taylor says the album's title, "The Rebirth of Detroit," is a literal hope -- that the record will begin to heal the wounds of those who loved him best, while assuring his legacy. "That's why this collaboration is so beautiful," he said. "We used the people who have been a part of his legacy so it won't be just a mixtape. That's why it taken so long to put together."

The movement started a long time ago, when contributions were made towards starting a Dilla foundation and finally, in May, we will receive the reward of hearing Dilla's beats once again. Jonathon, who speaks in the above interview joined Ma Dukes for an early interview about the project (below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbSMF0Zrt08&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nYsuHiSMc

With a huge focus on the youth and a movement for Detroit, we're all sure to be talking about this release at the end of 2012. I can't wait to hear this project, I'm sure that the collaborations but more importantly the beats, are of Dilla's high standard. I'm hoping for an instrumental disc to come with the official album, but I have yet to find details about the packaging.

In the studio with Ma Dukes and co:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raROPbpbna0

Here, however, is the first single from the project and if you're still fiending more Dilla, I've linked in the full-length interview, documentary and the album's Facebook for more details below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na4J9hvUs_U
Jonathon Taylor of Yancey Music Group On Conspiracy Worldwide:
Huge interview, with all you need to know about the project. Discusses Dilla, his legacy, moms, music, piracy, memories etc.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1i5sR2b4CEg#!
For those who have yet to see, the official documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZvh4wsBF0&feature=related

Comments

• Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I'm always effy on posthumous records but its Dilla so we shall see...
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Ishi wrote: »
    I'm always effy on posthumous records but its Dilla so we shall see...

He has 4000 unreleased records (or at least that's what they're making out…). Given that it's Dilla and that his projects are usually filled with nice beats, I'm assuming this'll be nice… I mean, just to hear more Dilla beats will be great… although I do know where you're coming from 100%.

I mean, were his Beat CDs mixtapes by other people? I'm hoping it's as nice as them…

They've certainly worked on this record for long enough for it to be a well put together recording.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sheer dopeness

Props on the thread dude

• RuffDraft
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Sheer dopeness

Props on the thread dude

Props Dilla, looking forward to the project! :tu Was tempted to buy Madlib's 'The Brick' as well the other day, but funding isn't as fluid lately as I'm trying to make better moves with the wedge.

Definitely a nice collection that you already own though…

Looking forward to this project a lot, if it's nice, we should be in for a really nice posthumous catalogue from Ruff Draft Records.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Watched that StonesThrow doc as well. Quite insightful
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope! ive been happy with his posthumous releases so far. I think it was just The Shining but Jay Love Japan came out after he died too. im pretty sure thats an older record tho. Props on the info Ruff!
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Watched that StonesThrow doc as well. Quite insightful

Got that open on Safari, only seen it earlier today, I'll check it out tomorrow. How long has that been out for???
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Dope! ive been happy with his posthumous releases so far. I think it was just The Shining but Jay Love Japan came out after he died too. im pretty sure thats an older record tho. Props on the info Ruff!

Yeah, The Shining dropped strangely close to his death… I got it when it dropped at a mainstream store… yet it was updated inside the booklet with his death and the reasons for it. It was great that some of the money paid towards it went towards the foundation too.

I only got Jay Love Japan on expensive import. Wasn't impressed with the price.

Hopefully it'll be something along those lines though, the way I see it from what's leaked is that it'll be an insightful release with a bit of uplifting music as a whole??? Maybe just my interpretation, but it seems that way…

• rip.dilla
    Options
    I think since 2010
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    I think since 2010

Never knew about it until I was making this thread. Is funny that you brought it up!
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    20120601-DILLA.jpg

1. “The New Installment” (Intro)
    2. “Detroit Madness” (ft. Phat Kat)
    3. “Big Thangs” (ft. Esham)
    4. “Ride (ft. It” (ft. Tha Almighty Dreadnaughtz)
    5. “Say My Name” (ft. LaPeace, Moe Dirdee and Seven The General)
    6. “Detroit Game” (ft. Chuck Inglish (COOL KIDS) and Boldy James)
    7. “Feel this ? ” (ft. KetchPhraze)
    8. “City of Boom” (ft. Loe Louis and Beej)
    9. “Let’s Pray Together” (ft. Amp Fiddler)
    10. “Requiem” (ft. Allan Barnes of The Blackbyrds)
    11. “Do It Right” (ft. Fat Ray, VStylez and Soul Man of A.W.O.L.)
    12. “My Victory” (ft. Boldy James)
    13. “Rebirth is Necessary” (ft. Tone Plummer and Mr. Wrong)
    14. “DILLATROIT” (ft. Supa Emcee, Nick Speed and Guilty Simpson)
    15. “Center of The Movement” (ft. 5ELA and Pierre Anthony)
    16. “Pitfalls” (ft. Fat Ray, LaPeace and Loe Louis)
    17. “Do It For Dilla Dawg” (ft. Illa J and Frank Nitt of CAKE BOYS)
    18. “Jay Dee’s Revenge” (ft. Danny Brown and DJ DEZ)
    19. “Motor City Sparks” (ft. Corey Sparks and Beej)
    20. “House Shoes Was Spinnin” (ft. Quelle Chris)
    21. “The Best That Ever Did It” (ft. Jon C and Allan Barnes of The Blackbyrds)

June 12, 2012
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Props Dilla!!!

Can't wait to hear this… finally might make us have something to talk about seeing as how everyone slept on Apollo Brown and O.C.'s release!!!
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

Prolly my favorite song so far. havent had a lot of time to chill and listen. but i love this song.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This dropped right on time, im in my dilla zone right now and playing nothing but Dilla this week all of Dilla Anthology's. I will give this a listen tommorow
  • RuffDraft
    Options

Prolly my favorite song so far. havent had a lot of time to chill and listen. but i love this song.

@Lou Cypher Dude, where have you been?!

Going to check this now. Can't wait to hear it!!!
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Beats bang, unsurprisingly, so far…

I'm disappointed with the Phat Kat feature 'Detroit Madness', don't think he did the beat justice, IMO.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Ive been around haha. There wasnt much activity here kinda forgot about it. Been arguing with reason heads lol.

• RuffDraft
    Options
    Ive been around haha. There wasnt much activity here kinda forgot about it. Been arguing with reason heads lol.

Lol Good luck with that.

Nice to see you stopping by. There's not much happening in the independent world at the moment I don't feel… or I'm sleeping. Put me on if you know of anything. I'm going to start a 'Where are they now?' series soon.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Haha yeah new music has been pretty dead it seems man. I got that new Killer Mike and been playin Krit lately. Highly recommend those albums.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    I've got both of them, I quite liked the Killer Mike, but I haven't got all the way through Big K.R.I.T's yet.

Shame that we've not had any breakthroughs like a Co$$ so far.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    RaySwift wrote: »

Ouch, have to say I agree though, the emcee's ruin the album to some extent... wasn't as impressed with this even with the low expectations of it being a posthumous album. Shame. I love Dilla and wish we would have got an instrumental album... not really interested in seeing Detroit emcee's being put on...

If they have as many songs as they say they have, we should have a Madlib season - 12 albums in 12 months and stick to it. If Ma Dukes wants that fast money, why can't she do that? I know people would be interested in hearing the unheard.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @RuffDraft good drops and up to the minute information about this project because there's a lot of fuckery that went down.

First of Dilla have shitload of unheard tracks that he left and for this project to have one unheard track on the album ? of alot of dilla fans because Dilla's fan digs for unheard gems and have heard mostly all of Dilla tracks. The Yancey Brothers lp (a dope album) proves that Dilla have unheard gems.

I think Stones Throw from Now on should handle any Dilla albums from now on, because Peter Butter Wolf understand's Dilla and who will sound good over Dilla tracks because he know who Dilla work with.

Phat Kat, Frank Nitt, Guilty Simpson and Illa J did their thing on the album but some other emcee's didnt deserve to be on the album and really killed the feeling of the album.
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Love this thread Jdilla The GOAT no doubt loving them tracks some of them Emcee were wack though loved Illa J on it though
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    @waterproof dope post

I'd say I was a bit underwhelmed by the album as well

Cosign them just dropping only instrumental albums if there is more unheard musik ..
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    @RuffDraft good drops and up to the minute information about this project because there's a lot of fuckery that went down.

First of Dilla have shitload of unheard tracks that he left and for this project to have one unheard track on the album ? of alot of dilla fans because Dilla's fan digs for unheard gems and have heard mostly all of Dilla tracks. The Yancey Brothers lp (a dope album) proves that Dilla have unheard gems.

I think Stones Throw from Now on should handle any Dilla albums from now on, because Peter Butter Wolf understand's Dilla and who will sound good over Dilla tracks because he know who Dilla work with.

Phat Kat, Frank Nitt, Guilty Simpson and Illa J did their thing on the album but some other emcee's didnt deserve to be on the album and really killed the feeling of the album.

@waterproof, Illa J's Yancey Brothers LP was incredible, agreed.

& Stones Throw definitely needs to take a hold of things now, as I'm disappointed at the release along with everyone else. What's most disappointing is that I've followed the release on Facebook, which has been promoted brilliantly; but they're still promoting it like it's a huge success when really, the emcee's were wack.
    Jdilla26 wrote: »
    Love this thread Jdilla The GOAT no doubt loving them tracks some of them Emcee were wack though loved Illa J on it though

Illa J is mad undderrated; loved Yancey Boys as @waterproof mentioned and I'm looking forward to anything he brings in the future.
    @waterproof dope post

I'd say I was a bit underwhelmed by the album as well

Cosign them just dropping only instrumental albums if there is more unheard musik ..

@rip.dilla, glad that you agree, as huge Dilla fans, I think we deserved an instrumental disc anyway. Not getting that alone has been pure fuckery. Disappointed as this was definitely an album I was uber-hyped to hear.

Still think Trophies is the best release of the year and that's surprising as I felt this would definitely top the list! They have so many tracks to select from and such a mass of artists… they could have just followed the guest appearances on The Shining.