Lupe Fiasco Confirms Label Support Food and Liquor Part 2, Double Disc Unknown, Potential Release

Comments

• FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop each one by one, if you ask me.

2 Albums a year should start trending in Hip Hop.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Seansosa wrote: »
    atlantic gonna ? this ? up also. i know they are

Lupe's already saluted them for supporting the record after first listen, you doubt their judgement and think they'll still try to put a spin on it???

I doubt it, this is seems a very different reaction from Lupe unlike last time...
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2012
    imILL wrote: »

This isn't Twitter lol.

Dropping a 4/5 album twice a year is a tall task by anyone's standards. I'm happy with artists dropping great music every two years...

I take it you don't doubt that Lupe could drop a great double-disc album then? Few can... I'm not saying that I disagree though...
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RuffDraft wrote: »

This isn't Twitter lol.

Dropping a 4/5 album twice a year is a tall task by anyone's standards. I'm happy with artists dropping great music every two years...

I take it you don't doubt that Lupe could drop a great double-disc album then? Few can... I'm not saying that I disagree though...

I think in today's market, nobody wants to be bombarded with music.
    I'm not sure new listeners could commit to 20 + tracks at one time.

I understand.. Lupe has a great fan base that can tolerate his style by now.
    I think Lupe could treat his fans right with 1 now, just to build that anticipation.

With one out, he could check out the sales and acclaim, and touch up on the 2nd go round.

I understand what your saying though.

• Neves 27
    Neves 27 Members Posts: 70
    Might as well merge this info with the other lupe thread and make it official.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope that if this does get released as a double album, as in 2 albums in the one case, that I don't have to actually pay the price of 2 cds. best buy and ? are rapin the cd market, overcharging for ? . I seen the bad meets evil EP for $13 a couple weeks ago, and thats only an ep!
  • DarthRozay
    Lupe is one of my favorite so I hope he can make up for the garbage that was Lasers, question if he goes gold on a double album does the RIAA count that as plat? Cuz I know SpeakerboxxxLove Below sold 5.5 physical copies but is certified 11 plat
    pretty sure it would, as long as the cds are sold together and not separately as Part 1 and Part 2.

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't Twitter lol.

I think Lupe could treat his fans right with 1 now, just to build that anticipation.

With one out, he could check out the sales and acclaim, and touch up on the 2nd go round.

remember he is supposedly also working with the Neptunes on a collab album
  • DarthRozay
    $pyda wrote: »
    ^^Bishop G is on FNF and he was on some of Lupe's mixtapes & the Cool. Where the ? you been?

I dont remember anyone called Bishop G. I remember Gemini or Gemstones, whatever the dude was calling himself. He was on Dumb It Down and Little Weapon.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Lupe is one of my favorite so I hope he can make up for the garbage that was Lasers, question if he goes gold on a double album does the RIAA count that as plat? Cuz I know SpeakerboxxxLove Below sold 5.5 physical copies but is certified 11 plat
    pretty sure it would, as long as the cds are sold together and not separately as Part 1 and Part 2.

i think Atlantic might do that, cuz if Lupe can get two succesfful singles like he did with Lasers he can go gold plat with this double album
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBH i dont know if Atlantic being behind thing is a good or bad thing, we all know their current idea of whats "hot" for current hip hop.

But let me say this, I will MARK THE ? OUT if the intro is that poetry chick speaking, and matthew santos and gemstones, soundtrakk, and the fine tatted up soul singing chick from his old albums are on their. Thats all i need.

P.S. i hope Lupe make ? think on this album, and dont dumb it down like Lasers.
  • RuffDraft
    memphis10 wrote: »
    memphis10 wrote: »
    I know it won't be better than the food and liquor but I'm hopin he go back to the lupe we all was ? wit and drop a 4 outta 5 album

I think it would be difficult for him to top F & L but I don't think he's incapable of hitting there or thereabouts again... he still has it in him, IMO. In terms of today's era, I think he's capable of going a half more than that... but I agree, I'd be up for hearing him with a 4/5 album, a return to form is always a start...

He's put pressure on himself with that title though...

Who thinks this'll be a double-disc release???

Yea dude a good lyricist and he able to make singles. I'm witchu, I think he got it.in him too. by today standards a 4 outta 5from him would be like water in the desert

Hahaha you think he's going to struggle to make a 4/5 album again? What makes you say that?

Personally, I don't think Lupe put much effort into Lasers, that was his personal vendetta towards his label yet he still sold well given the product...

This isn't Twitter lol.

This is all very true yet I think if you can hold it down for a double disc release, people really take notice more so than usual.. you're also putting yourself alongside hip hop's elite of artists that's actually been able to accomplish it successfully...

But I agree in some ways with what you're saying. Personally, I feel today's market is more willing to hear a huge catalog in a shorter time-space than before... when you think back to albums being 10-12 songs and look towards todays mixtapes, fans are getting double the music in ways with the mixtapes coming just before the albums...

That's just what I see though... I would really like it to be a double disc... just for the suspense and challenge that it will cause to Lupe as an artist who is coming off the back of a critically criticised release in Lasers.
    I just hope that if this does get released as a double album, as in 2 albums in the one case, that I don't have to actually pay the price of 2 cds. best buy and ? are rapin the cd market, overcharging for ? . I seen the bad meets evil EP for $13 a couple weeks ago, and thats only an ep!

Haha good shout but I'd pay the equivalent of an extra $5 for a double-disc release... no doubt.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    TBH i dont know if Atlantic being behind thing is a good or bad thing, we all know their current idea of whats "hot" for current hip hop.

But let me say this, I will MARK THE ? OUT if the intro is that poetry chick speaking, and matthew santos and gemstones, soundtrakk, and the fine tatted up soul singing chick from his old albums are on their. Thats all i need.

Word maybe since his labeled sonned him on lasers they will give him some more freedom on this one
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1yj5d.gif

On the real, ima Huge Lupe fan, but he has ? up his rep and kinda tarnish his image with his fans and hip hop listeners. I took him off and moved K. Dot to the best right now, but its no one as much as me who wants him to succeed and ? ? . I would be looking forward to it.
  • Neves 27
    ^^Bishop G is on FNF and he was on some of Lupe's mixtapes & the Cool. Where the ? you been?

I dont remember anyone called Bishop G. I remember Gemini or Gemstones, whatever the dude was calling himself. He was on Dumb It Down and Little Weapon.

He gave Bishop G a shout out on Dumb It Down doe....

And also gave him a guest appearance on Little Weapon

Where the ? you been?

• RuffDraft
    edited April 2012

Co-sign the bolded, but I think Atlantic will have received a solid product this time round... the hostility from the last release is not what they need and they got to see that Lupe was already popular for what he was and they basically ate their own words on that release, IMO.

I think the record labels listen to the public, in fairness, they chase the public like the money-grabbing ? that they are. If the public dictates that they thought the last album was weak, then I think they'll back Lupe and appreciate him more as an artist... but maybe I have too much faith in the label... or common sense.

• StillFaggyAF

Co-sign the bolded, but I think Atlantic will have received a solid product this time round... the hostility from the last release is not what they need and they got to see that Lupe was already popular for what he was and they basically ate their own words on that release, IMO.

I think the record labels listen to the public, in fairness, they chase the public like the money-grabbing ? that they are. If the public dictates that they thought the last album was weak, then I think they'll back Lupe and appreciate him more as an artist... but maybe I have too much faith in the label... or common sense.

To play devil's advocate here....Atlantic go what it wanted didn't it? A couple of high charting songs, a gold album, Lupe's soul. Plus Lupe looked like a fool blasting his label then when the album does well he started like the album. As much as ppl disliked Lasers it still went gold.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

To play devil's advocate here....Atlantic go what it wanted didn't it? A couple of high charting songs, a gold album, Lupe's soul. Plus Lupe looked like a fool blasting his label then when the album does well he started like the album. As much as ppl disliked Lasers it still went gold.

Yeah but his first 2 albums sold well and received critical acclaim
  • Neves 27

Neves 27 wrote: »
    Lupe Fiasco ‏ @LupeFiasco

...Prepare Yourselves....F&L2 is a GO... Shout to @AtlanticRecords

Props on this, I'll update thread title... exciting times to hear that they're behind the project...

Does that confirm that it's a double album or not??? Strange how he didn't disclose that given his previous comments!!!

Food&Liquor2:GreatAmericanRapAlbumPt.1 is in NYC...1st Label Listening Session....

• RuffDraft

They most definitely did... but with that said, they also received a huge backlashing from the emcee and his fans. Critics didn't exactly pour of it like usual and I don't think it was a good look for him or the label as a whole despite it going Gold.

I don't think Lupe as an artist has changed, but I definitely coincide on what you've said along with my own previous comments...
  • RuffDraft

Props on this, I'll update thread title... exciting times to hear that they're behind the project...

Does that confirm that it's a double album or not??? Strange how he didn't disclose that given his previous comments!!!

Food&Liquor2:GreatAmericanRapAlbumPt.1 is in NYC...1st Label Listening Session....

Does that mean disc 1? Take one? If you couple them with the comments from HipHopDX.com he hasn't really confirmed whether it will be two discs or not and that's what's holding it back. But he has confirmed that it is finished. So I assume that he let them listen to it all today... I may be wrong though... I'd definitely take it as meaning disc one but then it doesn't necessarily fit with his previous comments at concerts.
  • Neves 27

Does that mean disc 1? Take one? If you couple them with the comments from HipHopDX.com he hasn't really confirmed whether it will be two discs or not and that's what's holding it back. But he has confirmed that it is finished. So I assume that he let them listen to it all today... I may be wrong though... I'd definitely take it as meaning disc one but then it doesn't necessarily fit with his previous comments at concerts.

It's definitely a double album fam. He took part 1 to them today and they gave it the green light. I'm sure part 2 was mentioned somewhere in between that time. Check that other thread I made this morning with Bishop G's reaction to listening to the album. He also confirms that it is 2 discs and one will be released soon followed by the other one in a couple months.

We eatin good in 2012 bruh

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol i didnt know who bishop G was either, thought he was some blogger. I liked Food and Liquor and The Cool. Lasers was wack and one of the mixtapes i heard was weak but I will def check for this album
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2012

It's definitely a double album fam. He took part 1 to them today and they gave it the green light. I'm sure part 2 was mentioned somewhere in between that time. Check that other thread I made this morning with Bishop G's reaction to listening to the album. He also confirms that it is 2 discs and one will be released soon followed by the other one in a couple months.

We eatin good in 2012 bruh

Props on that, never saw your thread from this morning :tu

Definitely looking good... I still would prefer a double dose in one session though... this is going to be a sequel with two parts lol.

Definitely can't complain as long as we get two nice releases, but I disliked this move by Eminem when he did it, not that I'm much of a fan of his post-Eminem show anyway but still...

Streets Disciple, All Eyez on Me, Full Clip, Life After Death etc. all great albums packaged together as one album. Definitely prefer it that way from my own perspective.

That's great to hear though, beats a one-disc album for sure!

What was Bishop J's reaction? I'll search out your thread...

*EDIT* I see it, I'll do a thread merge now :tu
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I been waiting for this!!! Lupe the great