A VERY INTERESTING CONVERSATION (between an atheist professor and a christian student)

Options

Comments

• bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    LOL yall ? chill man its worth a small discussion LOL

cant have the typical IC ? everyday in every thread LOL

im saying though, thought it would make for an interesting convo lol
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    A lot of Christians "arguments" like this always try to "prove" science wrong and/or say that faith doesn't need to be proven. Which is ? ? .

Because how many christians, or any of practitioners of the major Abrahamic religions for that mattter, would have a problem with a huge portion of the world adopting a religion worshiping an invisible 3 armed monkey from Rigel? After all if I don't need empirical evidence of somethings existence, then everything I imagine can possibly exist.

Just because you can "prove" science wrong or come to the conclusion that a lot of science is based around ever changing theory doesn't mean your right either, you ? retards.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    both sides of the arguement were dumb as ?

if the absence of light is dark. then yes a shadow is dark... wtf is this young bull talking about

and yes darkness can be measured. the less light there is, the more dark their is LOL contrast is the very thing that measures existence

i think the student was tryna say that no matter how dark/cold it is, you still measure it by how hot/light it is...or isnt
    oh i know what he was trying to say LOL, but thats just it .. he was trying LOL. there is light and dark. not light and no light. the only way you could say there is no such thing as dark is to say that there is no state of existence where light does not exist. which we all know is false LOL

and thats just it. if you believe in ? and believe that he created everything then you have to "believe" in opposites too

plus the lil dude was dumb because the professor argued that the devil was equal to ? which he could have said no anyway smh

no dude, just no. all dude said was that darkness comes from taking away light, not adding darkness.
    yes but in the bible the darkness was first LOL so ? added light. so darkness doesnt come from taking away light. things are dark and then they become illuminated by light. there fore they exist in either state

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Show me where ? resides believer!"

"Show me where the mind resides unbeliever!"
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote:
    SOmething i saw on Fb...

Knew it was BS when I saw that
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man I swear Uptown is the dumbest poster ever

Dude stay sounding dumb as ?
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

visit the race and religion forum

• UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options

we have LOL

• Bodhi
    Options

we have LOL

my bad bro, I was talking to the other dude

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    If it was Einstein, that professor would have been mind ? beyond all recognition
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I posted this 100 years ago.
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I cant stand it when people act like because they had a friend who died or a relaive and they prayed the night before that ? is now either evil or non existant.....NO

They died because it was their time. Everybody that is born shall die. You have to come to terms with this reality, ? is the creator of the process. Of all things, and one day your number will be called just as well. Self pity is self destructive.

AND THEN I READ THE WHOLE THING!!!!

O.k so I wrote the above without reading all of it and I have to say, if you do believe in ? , that was a pretty good conversationg even if it was made up, I like the students perspective. Although Dark Matter is more than nothing, its what most of the universe is made up of....Nice read.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I remember, after I told everyone there was no way in hell Titanic would ever sink
  • Bodhi
    edited April 2012
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    I posted this 100 years ago.

I thought I had seen it somewhere before

• FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not even going to point out the fallacies on each side of this fictitious argument. Let us take it at face value.

Is his argument really that since I can't disprove ? he has to exist?

I can't disprove time travel either, but I'm not gonna hop into a ? ' Delorean and hope for the best.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote:
    SOmething i saw on Fb and thought was interesting, most of you wont read it but those of you who will i think will find it interesting.....me, i thought it very interesting, and i am not religious, but do believe in ? ...hope a few can make it to the end

An Atheist Professor of Philosophy was speaking to his Class on the Problem Science has
    With ? , the ALMIGHTY. He asked one of his New Christian Students to stand and . . .

Professor : You are a Christian, aren't you, son ?
    Student : Yes, sir.
    Professor : So, you Believe in ? ?
    Student : Absolutely, sir.
    Professor : Is ? Good ?
    Student : Sure.
    Professor : Is ? ALL - POWERFUL ?
    Student : Yes.
    Professor : My Brother died of Cancer even though he Prayed to ? to Heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But ? didn't. How is this ? good then? Hmm?

(Student was silent )

Professor : You can't answer, can you ? Let's start again, Young Fella.
    Is ? Good?
    Professor : Is Satan good ?
    Student : No.
    Professor : Where does Satan come from ?
    Student : From . . . ? . . .
    Professor : That's right. Tell me son, is there evil in this World?
    Professor : Evil is everywhere, isn't it ? And ? did make everything. Correct?
    Professor : So who created evil ?

(Student did not answer)

Professor : Is there Sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness?
    All these terrible things exist in the World, don't they?
    Student : Yes, sir.
    Professor : So, who Created them ?

(Student ha d no answer)

Professor : Science says you have 5 Senses you use to Identify and Observe the World around you. Tell me, son . . . Have you ever Seen ? ?
    Student : No, sir.
    Professor : Tell us if you have ever Heard your ? ?
    Student : No , sir.
    Professor : Have you ever Felt your ? , Tasted your ? , Smelt your ? ? Have you ever had any Sensory Perception of ? for that matter?
    Student : No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.
    Professor : Yet you still Believe in HIM?
    Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your ? doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?
    Student : Nothing. I only have my Faith.
    Professor : Yes, Faith. And that is the Problem Science has.

Student : Professor, is there such a thing as Heat?
    Professor : Yes.
    Student : And is there such a thing as Cold?
    Professor : Yes.
    Student : No, sir. There isn't..

(The Lecture Theatre became very quiet with this turn of events )

Student : Sir, you can have Lots of Heat, even More Heat, Superheat, Mega Heat, White Heat,
    a Little Heat or No Heat.
    But we don't have anything called Cold.
    We can hit 458 Degrees below Zero which is No Heat, but we can't go any further after that.
    There is no such thing as Cold.
    Cold is only a Word we use to describe the Absence of Heat.
    We cannot Measure Cold.
    Heat is Energy.
    Cold is Not the Opposite of Heat, sir, just the Absence of it.

(There was Pin-Drop Silence in the Lecture Theatre )

Student : What about Darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as Darkness?
    Professor : Yes. What is Night if there isn't Darkness?
    Student : You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is the Absence of Something
    You can have Low Light, Normal Light, Bright Light, Flashing Light . . . But if you have No Light constantly, you have nothing and its called Darkness, isn't it? In reality, Darkness isn't. If it is, were you would be able to make Darkness Darker, wouldn't you?
    Professor : So what is the point you are making, Young Man ?
    Student : Sir, my point is your Philosophical Premise is flawed.
    Professor : Flawed ? Can you explain how?
    Student : Sir, you are working on the Premise of Duality. You argue there is Life and then there is Death, a Good ? and a Bad ? . You are viewing the Concept of ? as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can't even explain a Thought. It uses Electricity and Magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view Death as the Opposite of Life is to be ignorant of the fact that Death cannot exist as a Substantive Thing.
    Death is Not the Opposite of Life: just the Absence of it
    Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your Students that they evolved from a Monkey?
    Professor : If you are referring to the Natural Evolutionary Process, yes, of course, I do.
    Student : Have you ever observed Evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shook his head with a Smile, beginning to realize where the Argument was going )

Student : Since no one has ever observed the Process of Evolution at work and Cannot even prove that this Process is an On-Going Endeavor,
    Are you not teaching your Opinion, sir?
    Are you not a Scientist but a Preacher?
    (The Class was in Uproar )

Student : Is there anyone in the Class who has ever seen the Professor's Brain?

(The Class broke out into Laughter )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor's Brain, Felt it, touched or Smelt it? . . .
    No one appears to have done so.
    So, according to the Established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that You have No Brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then Trust your Lectures, sir?

(The Room was Silent. The Professor stared at the Student, his face unfathomable)

Professor : I guess you'll have to take them on Faith, son.
    Student : That is it sir . . . Exactly !
    The Link between Man & ? is FAITH.
    That is all that Keeps Things Alive and Moving.

NB:

I believe you have enjoyed the Conversation . . . and if so .. .
    You'll probably want your Friends / Colleagues to enjoy the same . . . won't you?
    Forward them to Increase their Knowledge . . . or FAITH.
    That student was Albert Einstein.

Props Gee, good read.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Old Convo between two ? .
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    I'm not even going to point out the fallacies on each side of this fictitious argument. Let us take it at face value.

Is his argument really that since I can't disprove ? he has to exist?

I can't disprove time travel either, but I'm not gonna hop into a ? ' Delorean and hope for the best.

Same ? I said.

And sad thing is, this is the ultimate trump card for a lot of christians when debating theology. Even IF YOU COULD fully disprove all science relating to the origin of the Universe and the evolution of life, "Yahweh did it" is still somehow the absolute correct answer, despite the literal thousands of belief relating to the birth of the universe with nearly just as much merit as "Yahweh did it"?

Okay.

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People in GNS can have good long convos about religion and stuff I've seen it, but they won't venture to R&R to talk about it. And it's only a few clicks away. Always wondered why.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bible thumpers need to get better with these emails they create for a mass forwarding circle ?

Neither one of these arguments were good
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    Options
    Science does not eliminate ? it eliminates models of ?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People in GNS can have good long convos about religion and stuff I've seen it, but they won't venture to R&R to talk about it. And it's only a few clicks away. Always wondered why.
    Them ? ain't bout it bout it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mmxWR_BlAU
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

but if your idea of ? rest within the confines of a religion you've been eliminated
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »

but if your idea of ? rest within the confines of a religion you've been eliminated
    And if its only attributable features are "it's beyond human understanding" or "it can't be disproven", then it eliminates itself.

Lose-lose.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is what it is
    because of what it was
    I did what I did
    Cuz it does what it does