A VERY INTERESTING CONVERSATION (between an atheist professor and a christian student)

Options

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember, after I told everyone there was no way in hell Titanic would ever sink

Now that had the forum poppin'...
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh at people not keeping it real and saying that ? was genious.
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this argument will go on til the end of time..if theists are wrong it will be no big deal..but if atheists are wrong its a wrap for that ass
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damnkp wrote: »
    this argument will go on til the end of time..if theists are wrong it will be no big deal..but if atheists are wrong its a wrap for that ass

That almost makes it seem like theist are afraid of being wrong, so they pick the safe option.

Kinda of like me not being sure if the boogeyman exist so I make sure to leave a nightlight on at all times.

It's why I tend to call theists ? ass ? if they are using that as their reason to believe.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

no its fuckn not

this is where the other argument from atheist about ppl not exposed to certain religions comes into play

if I'm going to hell because I don't believe, then what happens to ppl of indigenous tribes who have no idea what the Abrahamic ? is

*insert the purgatory/limbo idea*
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    "Eskimo: "If I did not know about ? and sin, would I go to hell?"
    Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
    Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"

-Anne Dillard
  • damnkp
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »

That almost makes it seem like theist are afraid of being wrong, so they pick the safe option.

Kinda of like me not being sure if the boogeyman exist so I make sure to leave a nightlight on at all times.

It's why I tend to call theists ? ass ? if they are using that as their reason to believe.

not my reason for belief..but its true
  • damnkp
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »

no its fuckn not

this is where the other argument from atheist about ppl not exposed to certain religions comes into play

if I'm going to hell because I don't believe, then what happens to ppl of indigenous tribes who have no idea what the Abrahamic ? is

*insert the purgatory/limbo idea*

that's why there are missionaries to spread the word of ?
  • tru_m.a.c
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »

just tell em to look up pascal's wager
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I understand what ya are saying but in the end he proved that science also belive in faith.Or is faith driven.
  • tru_m.a.c
    Options
    I understand what ya are saying but in the end he proved that science also belive in faith.Or is faith driven.

no he didn't

this is the argument dawkins uses when he says he doesn't choose to believe in gravity. He doesn't jump out of windows and go "well damn I hope gravity doesn't work today." Its not fuckn driven by faith lol
  • Dirty Words
    Dirty Words Members Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The student had him until the brain thing.. All you gotta do is ? open a ? skull.. There is a brain, it's been seen.. Either way whenever people have convo's like this I just end it quick because it's pointless, neither side can prove anything with fact, therefore neither point of view is right.. It's just about who can make who seem more incorrect.. In the end, there is no answer..
  • Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? again?

*insert Russell's Teapot and counterarguments to Pascal's Wager here*
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Yeh, not only is this "conversation" a myth, but both fictional arguments are poor.

I don't know why you caught so many bad ratings, but I was thinking the same thing. You can tell by the way it's organized. The prof asks the student a bunch of quests that anyone could have given a response to, good or bad, yet the student is somehow unable to come up with one. Then suddenly he has this "deep" philosophy that the professor is lost against despite the fact that his points weren't anymore well thought out than the ones the professor had.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good read... smh @ ? tryna say dude was "WRONG"...cuz made a good argument...
  • ol_buddy
    ol_buddy Members Posts: 293 ✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ "(The Lecture Theatre became very quiet with this turn of events)"
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote:
    SOmething i saw on Fb and thought was interesting, most of you wont read it but those of you who will i think will find it interesting.....me, i thought it very interesting, and i am not religious, but do believe in ? ...hope a few can make it to the end

An Atheist Professor of Philosophy was speaking to his Class on the Problem Science has
    With ? , the ALMIGHTY. He asked one of his New Christian Students to stand and . . .

Professor : You are a Christian, aren't you, son ?
    Student : Yes, sir.
    Professor : So, you Believe in ? ?
    Student : Absolutely, sir.
    Professor : Is ? Good ?
    Student : Sure.
    Professor : Is ? ALL - POWERFUL ?
    Student : Yes.
    Professor : My Brother died of Cancer even though he Prayed to ? to Heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But ? didn't. How is this ? good then? Hmm?

(Student was silent )

Professor : You can't answer, can you ? Let's start again, Young Fella.
    Is ? Good?
    Professor : Is Satan good ?
    Student : No.
    Professor : Where does Satan come from ?
    Student : From . . . ? . . .
    Professor : That's right. Tell me son, is there evil in this World?
    Professor : Evil is everywhere, isn't it ? And ? did make everything. Correct?
    Professor : So who created evil ?

(Student did not answer)

Professor : Is there Sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness?
    All these terrible things exist in the World, don't they?
    Student : Yes, sir.
    Professor : So, who Created them ?

(Student ha d no answer)

Professor : Science says you have 5 Senses you use to Identify and Observe the World around you. Tell me, son . . . Have you ever Seen ? ?
    Student : No, sir.
    Professor : Tell us if you have ever Heard your ? ?
    Student : No , sir.
    Professor : Have you ever Felt your ? , Tasted your ? , Smelt your ? ? Have you ever had any Sensory Perception of ? for that matter?
    Student : No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.
    Professor : Yet you still Believe in HIM?
    Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your ? doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?
    Student : Nothing. I only have my Faith.
    Professor : Yes, Faith. And that is the Problem Science has.

Student : Professor, is there such a thing as Heat?
    Professor : Yes.
    Student : And is there such a thing as Cold?
    Professor : Yes.
    Student : No, sir. There isn't..

(The Lecture Theatre became very quiet with this turn of events )

Student : Sir, you can have Lots of Heat, even More Heat, Superheat, Mega Heat, White Heat,
    a Little Heat or No Heat.
    But we don't have anything called Cold.
    We can hit 458 Degrees below Zero which is No Heat, but we can't go any further after that.
    There is no such thing as Cold.
    Cold is only a Word we use to describe the Absence of Heat.
    We cannot Measure Cold.
    Heat is Energy.
    Cold is Not the Opposite of Heat, sir, just the Absence of it.

(There was Pin-Drop Silence in the Lecture Theatre )

Student : What about Darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as Darkness?
    Professor : Yes. What is Night if there isn't Darkness?
    Student : You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is the Absence of Something
    You can have Low Light, Normal Light, Bright Light, Flashing Light . . . But if you have No Light constantly, you have nothing and its called Darkness, isn't it? In reality, Darkness isn't. If it is, were you would be able to make Darkness Darker, wouldn't you?
    Professor : So what is the point you are making, Young Man ?
    Student : Sir, my point is your Philosophical Premise is flawed.
    Professor : Flawed ? Can you explain how?
    Student : Sir, you are working on the Premise of Duality. You argue there is Life and then there is Death, a Good ? and a Bad ? . You are viewing the Concept of ? as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can't even explain a Thought. It uses Electricity and Magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view Death as the Opposite of Life is to be ignorant of the fact that Death cannot exist as a Substantive Thing.
    Death is Not the Opposite of Life: just the Absence of it
    Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your Students that they evolved from a Monkey?
    Professor : If you are referring to the Natural Evolutionary Process, yes, of course, I do.
    Student : Have you ever observed Evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shook his head with a Smile, beginning to realize where the Argument was going )

Student : Since no one has ever observed the Process of Evolution at work and Cannot even prove that this Process is an On-Going Endeavor,
    Are you not teaching your Opinion, sir?
    Are you not a Scientist but a Preacher?
    (The Class was in Uproar )

Student : Is there anyone in the Class who has ever seen the Professor's Brain?

(The Class broke out into Laughter )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor's Brain, Felt it, touched or Smelt it? . . .
    No one appears to have done so.
    So, according to the Established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that You have No Brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then Trust your Lectures, sir?

(The Room was Silent. The Professor stared at the Student, his face unfathomable)

Professor : I guess you'll have to take them on Faith, son.
    Student : That is it sir . . . Exactly !
    The Link between Man & ? is FAITH.
    That is all that Keeps Things Alive and Moving.

NB:

I believe you have enjoyed the Conversation . . . and if so .. .
    You'll probably want your Friends / Colleagues to enjoy the same . . . won't you?
    Forward them to Increase their Knowledge . . . or FAITH.
    That student was Albert Einstein.

This ? been around since Blackplanet. It gets changed up and updated everytime. This thing is like the Willie Lynch fiasco.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    both sides of the arguement were dumb as ?

if the absence of light is dark. then yes a shadow is dark... wtf is this young bull talking about

and yes darkness can be measured. the less light there is, the more dark their is LOL contrast is the very thing that measures existence

i think the student was tryna say that no matter how dark/cold it is, you still measure it by how hot/light it is...or isnt
    oh i know what he was trying to say LOL, but thats just it .. he was trying LOL. there is light and dark. not light and no light. the only way you could say there is no such thing as dark is to say that there is no state of existence where light does not exist. which we all know is false LOL

and thats just it. if you believe in ? and believe that he created everything then you have to "believe" in opposites too

plus the lil dude was dumb because the professor argued that the devil was equal to ? which he could have said no anyway smh

light is created by energy, the absence of light is the absence of that energy which is darkness. Darkness itself is not created by energy, therefore it is not the opposite of light, just the absence of it. get it now?
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Trill there's no explaining anything to the idiot Uptown
  • Gucci Scott King
    Gucci Scott King Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But what if you believe in the wrong ? ?
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you this "conversation" got all the athiest knees weak. talking bout its a bad arguement when its there arguement
  • bootsy_jenkins
    bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Silly ? FB story. Stupid people pass it on to even more stupid people and the cycle of ignorance continues. SMH
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Silly ? FB story. Stupid people pass it on to even more stupid people and the cycle of ignorance continues. SMH

you see people that have opinions, as ignorant?
    you see fables as ignorant?

granted its a made up story, but its main purpose is to make people think, atleast open people up to another way of thinking.
    people that just stand up and say its ignorant/stupid are the real ignorant ones
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    that seems like one of those made-up stories. I highly doubt that was Einstein. Somebody Snopes it.
    Snopes says:

CLAIM: While a student, Albert Einstein humiliated an atheist professor by using the "Evil is the absence of ? " argument on him.

FALSE
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    SnowBunnySmanger Members Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad arguments on both sides

good looks on that link janklow