The I Watched Recently Thread *possible spoilers*

Options
rapmastermind
rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Steven Spielberg once said that he does "Movie Orgy" every now and again where he will watch several films in over a week's time. Well I recently did this thanks to Redbox and Blockbuster express where films are only a Dollar. From April 6th to 16th over 10 days I watched 18 films, here are the movies I watched, mind you I haven't seen any of them

The Hunger Games (Theater)- C+
Captain America B-
The Hangover II- C
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo- B+
Thor- C +
Contagion- B -
The Killer Elite- D
Hanna- B -
Green Lateran- C +
J. Edgar- C -
In Time- C
The Adventures of Tin-Tin- B -
Real Steel - C +
Drive - A
Colombiana - C+
Zodiac (Finally finished Ficher's Whole catalog) - B +
Vantage Point- C +
Gone Baby Gone- A

It was pretty cool to catch on on so many movies I hadn't seen. Overall, "Gone Baby Gone" and "Drive" had the most impact.

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drive was sick as ? . Just a great movie.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gotta see Drive
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    Yea, I had been hearing about Drive for the longest, it got great reviews but the Box office was average. But I gave it a chance. It started kinda slow and you are wondering where it's going and then BOOM it just gets crazy and the violence will hit you so unexpectedly. One of the best films I seen in a while, I loved it. It's not fast and furious, it's a crime thriller that has driving in it. The Pink lettering made me think it was soft, lol, far from it:

drive-poster1.jpg
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah Drive was really good.....like dude said it starts off slow so u gotta stick with it and it's well worth it in the end.
  • rapmastermind
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Yeah Drive was really good.....like dude said it starts off slow so u gotta stick with it and it's well worth it in the end.

And if you think about it, the slowness of the beginning really sets the tone. I loved the intro of the film looking back cause it shows you how skillful he really was from jump. I'm so mad at myself for sleeping on this movie. For once the critics got this right, I think it got 90% plus on Rotten Tomatoes. I like movies like "Drive", we need more low budget artistic type films instead of the typical blockbusters Hollywood tries to shove down our throats. My other "A" grade was "Gone Baby Gone", Ben Afflecks directoral debut. His brother Casey stars in it and it was a mind ? , I left thinking what was right and what was wrong, it asked some really good questions about morality:

gone-baby-gone-poster-0.jpg

• rapmastermind
    edited April 2012
    Options
    With the "Avengers" Coming out I had to catch up with the Superhero films. Everyone was hyping up "Thor" last summer but that was the weakest one to me, it was dope until Thor went to Earth and then it got soft. "Captain America" was dope to me, it was a good origin story and better than "Thor". From the trailers I thought "Green Lateran" was going to be terrible but to my surprise I liked it more than I thought I would, people should give it a chance. I didn't see "Xmen: 1st Class" yet, gotta check that out.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gone baby gone was such a good movie. ill have to check out that drive movie as well. I do this pretty often. or atleast did. I ran out of stuff that sounded interesting on my netflix. or im just never in the mood to watch a film anymore. Ive seen a lot of good ? doing this tho. Is Drive on Netflix instant?
  • rapmastermind
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Also "Real Steel" is just a futuristic remake of Stallone's "Over The Top", it had the kid and driving in the truck, the whole 9:

over_the_top_poster_01.jpg

Real_Steal_Poster.png
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i thought captain america was boring as ? ...D grade
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Except Real Steel was garbage. I almost had to cut that ? off when that annoying kid started coming out dancin with the robot at the fight. Corny as hell.
  • stoneface
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I just saw J. Edgar a lil while back. Its a good movie but there was some real wtf moments in that ? . Well acted, though. And lol @ one dude's old person make-up.
  • blankelo_anthony
    blankelo_anthony Members Posts: 41
    Options
    Damn this ? just posted a picture of "Over The Top"..

I havent seen that movie in about 8 years.

• kingofbama205
    Options
    Lol Over The Top was the ? ....and I agree Real Steal was ass cheeks that ? sucked I was mad cuz my bro in law rented on Demanded and wasted like 5 dollars..then his ass didn't even sit through the whole thing, but I did hahaha
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With the "Avengers" Coming out I had to catch up with the Superhero films. Everyone was hyping up "Thor" last summer but that was the weakest one to me, it was dope until Thor went to Earth and then it got soft. "Captain America" was dope to me, it was a good origin story and better than "Thor". From the trailers I thought "Green Lateran" was going to be terrible but to my surprise I liked it more than I thought I would, people should give it a chance. I didn't see "Xmen: 1st Class" yet, gotta check that out.

First class was pretty good. I didn't expect much and I was surprised how good it was
  • stoneface
    edited April 2012
    Options
    For some reason, to me, First Class has gotten worse each time ive re-watched it. I thought it was pretty good at first, but then the second and third time I saw it, it seemed more and more stupid. I dont really understand why.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Drive was sick as ? . Just a great movie.
    I just watched it and wasn't impressed.I liked the fighting, but the plot was so simple and predictable.I wanted to like it like everybody else, but it's just not special to me.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how is drive artistic though?? just cause it has 80s type music and some not often used imagery???

man people are tools i tell ya. it was just a dumbed down robocop without the robot costume if you think about it dude barely talked and it used violence and gore as the over the top action

movie had no point at all
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Shame was my fav film of 2011.
  • Loo.Loo
    Loo.Loo Members Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rise of the apes was my fave of last year

Drive was good

First Class was good

• rapmastermind
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Actually "Drive" did have meaning if you think about it. I would get into but I don't want to spoil it. I don't see the Robocop Comparisons outside of the violence and gore was up there but Robocop gore was even worst. Wow, It's been a minute but I got to watch Robocop on DVD, Love that movie. I felt it was artistic cause of the style, acting and the whole direction of the film. I saw "Rise of the Apes" in on the Big Screen and loved it, can't wait for the sequel. I agree "Cap" was boring in spots but it was a better origin film than "Thor" was to me. I didn't say "Real Steel" was great, I gave it a C it's basically a kids movie but being a child of 80's, I saw "Over the Top" in tape many times being a Stallone fan and the movie is pretty much a carbon copy of that with Robots replacing hand wrestling. Gotta see "1st Class" heard it was way better than X3 and Wolverine Origins. "Killer Elite" was trash, Deniro is taking anything now. "Hanna" went hard body, Lil girl was a killer straight up.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I read that last sentence about 4 times and I'm still lost. You said you watched, but you havent seen any of them?
    Anywho out of those I've only seen Contagion, Zodiac, and Gone Baby Gone. Out of those GBG is by far my favorite. Very powerful movie. Ben can't really act for ? but he can direct the hell out of a movie.

I normally watch about 3 movies a week on 1channel, but half the time it's movies I've seen already so I don't make much progress. Right now though I'm going through all 6 seasons of Dexter so the movies are on hold until I finish. Or until Safe House comes out with a DVD copy which I'm expecting any day now.
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    SnowBunnySmanger Members Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Project X= B
    American Reunion= B+
    The grey= A
    Wanderlust= C
    The sitter= B
    Friends with benefits= C-
    Sherlock Holmes 2= A
    Fast Five= B+
    Bad Teacher= C+
    Johnny English reborn= B
    Paul= B+
    The Green Hornet= C+
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    i went to a film festival about 2 years ago & saw like 35 movies in two days. i couldn't watch another full length movie for about 4 months lol.

last weekend i saw:
    both iron mans - C for both
    carnage - B
    titanic 3D - B
    doubt - B+
    mulholland drive - B+

& drive is proof that it's not possible for ryan gosling to make a bad movie.
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    Film #19

220px-Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_Poster.jpg

Grade - B

It was beautifully shot, the score was amazing. Produced by Steven Spielberg and music by John Williams. Also I heart Cali, what I meant was none of the movies I listed were films I have seen. This thread is for catching up on movies you either missed on the Big Screen or never got around to seeing.
  • kingofbama205
    Options
    The last 2 days I've watched a few movies
    Moneyball..it was really good one of the best sports films I've seen in a while
    Green Lantern...it was aight could've been better but I do hope they make a 2
    Haywire...didn't really like this at all
    Battle Royale...finally saw this movie I had never watched it before, and I had heard so much about it and I thought it was a very good movie