The Official Dark Knight Rises Thread

1333435363739»

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »
    I'm excited to see his next movie, even though I know nada about it.

Interstellar: "The film features a team of space travelers going through a wormhole."

Good enough for me. I like that type of sci-fi ? .

I could name 5 directors I think are better than Nolan right now though. Don't know if he'd even make my top 10 but at least he tries to do more with mainstream films now.

Why do you say that?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Karl. wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    I'm excited to see his next movie, even though I know nada about it.

Interstellar: "The film features a team of space travelers going through a wormhole."

Good enough for me. I like that type of sci-fi ? .

I could name 5 directors I think are better than Nolan right now though. Don't know if he'd even make my top 10 but at least he tries to do more with mainstream films now.

Why do you say that?

He makes the best movie he could make no matter how big a budget you throw at him. He's like Kubrick or Spielberg or Cameron. Way ahead of most of his peers in mainstream movie making. He gets the same budget as guys like Michael Bay, Brett Ratner and ? Wiseman but he doesn't dumb it down like they would. His movies are rich in being thematic and character driven and have a lot of layers on every narrative level you could find in a movie whether verbally expressive or visualy expressive. He doesn't really compromise himself to get bigger dollars. Since he doesn't insult the audience he gets the bigger dollars back anyway.

My issue with him is that he guides the general audience TOO much. He caters to them to the point that he speaks down to the ones who don't need to have their hands held through a movie. There is no real universal balance that you find in movies by guys like Cameron. Where you can enjoy it and so can your grandma or your uncle even if you don't get all the answers to your questions. It's seen as mind blowing to people who don't really watch too many movies but the rest of us are laughing at his pretenses on the screen cause we've probably seen better. It's like sitting with a person who keeps telling you "so the shark is out to feed on the people that swim at this beach and they're trying to put a stop to it" every 15 minutes while watching Jaws. I just think it's obnoxious.

The level of exposition in his movies is ridiculous for a medium that strives at "show don't tell". It's been that way since Memento too the only difference is back then he was better with pacing ironically. But since the Batman joints everything he's made has been heavy with the exposition repeating itself over and over like bad poetry. Which is why he's not really the new Spielberg in terms of skill though I do respect the craftsmanship of Inception and The Dark Knight Rises even if I didn't like the movies themselves. The scope is beyond what someone like Bay could do with those kind of budgets. So in a way he's like a new Spielberg but without the really creative imagination and versatility that Spielberg had in his prime.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw this again yesterday and I dislike this movie more than when I saw it the first time especially bane.......everything this thread praises bane for I couldnt stand about him. But I still think that rooftop scene between cat/bat should of been drawn out longer, that should of been the show down but it cuts short with that bat score cueing in which kills me everytime. Bane approaching with his operatic score was tight and bat/cat side by side was ol school classic ish, should of told his men to drop the weapons for a one on one plus it was at night it was the perfect setting. The first actual showdown is lackluster 2nd time seeing it. I want a bane reboot imo he wasnt done with justice in this,bane was too much of a terrorist/emcee rather than a brawler which I wanted to see more of. They could of done way more with bane...way more. If they have to incorporate CGI for us to get the venom so be it, If he has to get his hulk on just a lil bit bring it on.

And I saw dkr twice was not really by choice dont feel like explaining. Im done w/ this thread though...

same thing i said earlier in the thread and folks caught feelings. Banes whole appeal as a villain was his smarts and when all the brains go out the window he hulks up on the venom and gets to wrecking ? . Leaving the venom out of his whole story in the movie and making him a damn bodyguard ruined it for me
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Broddie knows what the ? I'm talking about ..